Figured I'd pop this discussion out of the rants section so it could be more appropriately discussed.
With factional lines being drawn deeper and deeper in the game, the sensible options an organization has for patronage get fewer and fewer. Choosing a patron for an organization can have far-reaching and long-lasting consequences, from a slow but steady divergence from the host city's ideals and worldview to outright war. Therefore, the choice of patron is a very important and influential decision for an organization, from an RP standpoint.
With the design of the existing PATRON REQUEST system, an active patron is necessary for the organization to make even simple changes such as house additions, permission changes, etc. It is therefore vital for an organization to have an active patron who can work to fulfill these requests.
At any given time the pool of active, canon gods and goddesses is relatively small, forcing many organizations to choose a patron based on either the former or the latter situation, but not both.
With my reasoning for this post established, I'll give my suggested improvements.
- Remove the PATRON REQUEST system entirely.
- Create an email account for organization requests, similar to events|[email protected] Any organization request (eg. Change permissions to enter househall, buy an enchantment room, alter a room description of an org-owned room) should be sent to this email by the organization leader.
- Allow for various admin to assume the role of a canon god or org denizen for the purposes of informing the organization ( or just the leader) that the requested change has been completed.
- Events or situations that require the attention or participation of a particular canon divine should be reserved for when said divine is active.
What I'm trying to accomplish:
- Let IC be IC and OOC be OOC. If the PATRON SYSTEM is intended to be used purely for OOC communication and it only goes to the inbox of the patron god anyways, there's no reason not to use email here. If you want the attention of a specific god IC, send a letter.
- Get organization requests visible to more than one possibly dormant person. Various admin could fulfill request based on their talents and strengths, instead of their chosen organizations. Visibility also better insures the request won't get lost or pushed aside for too long.
This doesn't cover all possibilities where an organization can be punished by lack of available patrons ( Chiefly on my mind is an active order with a dormant god and OH) but it goes a long way towards fixing some of the problems that exist.