EQ Gem/Staff of Nicator.

Comments

• Diminishing returns that are in place now doesn't change how retarded it is to fight people with the buffs fron relics. Offensive buffs are the most noticeable, while the defensive ones are also rather lols. 

• Diminishing returns that are in place now doesn't change how retarded it is to fight people with the buffs fron relics artefacts. Offensive buffs are the most noticeable, while the defensive ones are also rather lols. 
    Oh wait.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    I don't see what the big fuss is all about. Just vote to get rid of net-neutrality and @Jhui will be so lagged he can't play. Then you win!
  • DDoS Jhui's IP! Or instead, prevent Staff and EQ Gem from stacking when Staff is set to EQ mode.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
    I saw a guy driving a Maserati today. Those are kind of rare around here - being a mostly working-class poverty area full of EBT card carrying crack smokers.
    I called my friends. We all got together and started a protest outside the city offices building - demanding his $150,000 car taken away from him because it's too OP.

Someone in our protest crowd gave the police pictures of the guy's license plates. They quickly formed a SWAT team and raided his home - arrested him. His vehicle has been sent to the scrap yard.

I'm glad this happened because I think it's completely unbalanced that some asshole is driving around in a Maserati that he worked his whole life to be able to enjoy - while I'm still slaving away at my shitty IT job and can't even pay my debts without taking on debt from somewhere else. Oh.... sorry. Is this the wrong thread? I thought we were talking about Jhui and a Staff of Nicator.
  • @Makarios - are you 100% sure that your math is right? Because I'm not...

And even setting aside your point about eq not being as fast as we think, any practical suggestions/tips on how to fight/survive/escape this?  From anyone? 

[I'm in Mhaldor, nothing happens before this]

You shuffle your feet noisily, suddenly bored. [38.688]
    4857h, 4052m, 23145end, 19000wp, ckdb ex I G  -
    You remove 1 plumbum, bringing the total in the Rift to 1435.
    You eat a plumbum flake.
    You are patient once again. [38.921]
    You feel your limbs stiffen and lock up in response to an unseen power. [39.152]
    You shuffle your feet noisily, suddenly bored. [39.815]
    You reel as your mind is viciously battered by a mental assault from Jhui. [40.277]
    You may eat another plant or mineral. [40.542]
    You are no longer stunned.

You are paralysed and unable to do that.
    4857h, 4052m, 23155end, 19000wp, ckdb ex I G  -
    You flap your arms madly.
    You have not lost your composure.
    You remove 1 magnesium, bringing the total in the Rift to 839.
    You eat a magnesium chip.
    Your muscles unlock; you are no longer paralysed.
    Your head spins as your mind is drowned in chaos and confusion. [41.865]
    You feel your limbs stiffen and lock up in response to an unseen power. [42.336]
    You may eat another plant or mineral.
    You feel Jhui's mind attacking yours from all sides, and you lose your mental equilibrium. [43.037]

concentrate
    4857h, 4052m, 23155end, 19000wp, ckdb x I G  -
    You twitch spasmodically.

Without some tweaks to trait/diadem/staff/Gem stacking, telepathy eq times in general, or telepathy range (isn't it the only thing in the game that works more than 3 rooms out anymore? Even arrows basically always miss more than 3 rooms away) this guy can basically kill me (probably anyone else in Achaea) at will anywhere, anytime.
    [I'm in Mhaldor, nothing happens before this]

LoLz. @Jhui cut the crap. Just leave him alone. He's obviously not infamous or participating in raids against Ashtan or anything.
  • For people not wanting to do the math, in the log above it looks like impatience is consistently .45s, paralysis is .7s, confusion is .4s, and batter (stupidity/epilepsy/dizziness plus stun) is 1.6s
  • I'm quite sure, yes.

If they stacked in the way people are assuming, mind impatience would be (approximately) 0.2 seconds.

Whether its balanced was not a consideration in my initial post. I feel it is sensible however to clear up that misconception. It is not a matter of adding up all the percent modifiers to get the final overall reduction.

• I'm sorry, but Jhui -should- be ridiculously OP. With the relics and staff he should not be even close to killable by a single person. He is like an honors mob or something. Have you ever met someone so big or strong that it'd take numerous people to fight them?  That's Jhui

• Fair point, to be honest, but I'm still not sure the staff shouldn't stack with relics and such. I mean, the staff is won entirely in game and is the only one of its kind. Now, changing how often a person can obtain a relic might tone it down a bit. Say of the amount of time you can hold onto one lessened each time you held it in a certain time period.

I just feel that from an RP point, Jhui is a historic, legendary figure. Newbies a few years from now will read his name and want to be him. They'll hear stories of how he wrekt everything in his path and it took the most powerful fighters to take him down. 

But, like I said, this is just an opinion. And the combined bonus could be a little less, but given two fighters of equal skill, ability, and artefacts, shouldn't we expect that giving one of them the staff would imbalance things? It seems like everyone is upset that Jhui is practically unbeatable now, which I think is fair. In an odd way. 

• The funny part is that with his current combination of relics (and earrings/lust available to him), the "bring more dudes" really isn't effective.

• There really is no counter, other than "Don't bother participating.".

I'm not being melodramatic, there really is no point.  I logged in yesterday during a city meeting, just in time to see Jhui + 3x buddies earring in, explode me and a few other players (for absolutely no reason), then earring out, right in front of a crowd of people.  Sure, everyone tried targeting/attacking their group, but the second anyone actually hit anyone, they immediately earring'd out, then back in when safe.  They were able to mop up something like 4-5 kills by mind throwing into Tele-doom, and smashing their bashing attack a few times while Jhui essentially guaranteed the immediate death of their targets, one at a time.

It's not a "game" if both sides don't have a chance.  QQ'd and watched 5th Element and scolded myself for forgetting why I stopped bothering in the first place.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    edited September 2014

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    how about simply making it so that EQ time is a minimum of 1s? That'd stop the insanity of 0.5s things I'm seeing up there. Sure it'd still be an insane speed, but it'd be less insane.
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Don't get what the big issue is to be honest. Jhui's a pretty reasonable guy. Imagine some of the other unmentionables who could have this and the level of grief that could ensue.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Black Stereotypes

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Daeir said:
    Jhui being a cool dude does not make the eq bonus stacking any less stupid. It's not even related. Please stop bringing it up.
    Anyone can get the EQ gem, anyone can win the staff. That they stack is just part of the wonderful combat system of achaea.
  • Aerek said:
    Which brings us back to your original question:
    Seftin said:
    Don't get what the big issue is to be honest. Jhui's a pretty reasonable guy. Imagine some of the other unmentionables who could have this and the level of grief that could ensue.
    This is exactly the concern. If the mechanic is susceptible to abuse, the restraint shown by an individual who can do it isn't a relevant argument. If it can be done, eventually someone less restrained will get it, and then we'll have to deal with it.

This is the internet, after all, and we can't have nice things on the internet.
    Gank him and get the EQ gem. Use the game to form an alliance between cities for one purpose of stopping the Gem getting into his hands. RP it to build alliances and even potentially backstab each other.
    Aerek said:
    Which brings us back to your original question:
    Seftin said:
    Don't get what the big issue is to be honest. Jhui's a pretty reasonable guy. Imagine some of the other unmentionables who could have this and the level of grief that could ensue.
    This is exactly the concern. If the mechanic is susceptible to abuse, the restraint shown by an individual who can do it isn't a relevant argument. If it can be done, eventually someone less restrained will get it, and then we'll have to deal with it.

This is the internet, after all, and we can't have nice things on the internet.
    Your thinking is flawed and if you were capable of having insight and realize it for yourself, you would change it and thus no longer be a contributing factor to the downfall of society.
    Oops I came back from breakfast and @Cooper is trying to start a pitchfork mob, as usual - so I'll explain the above below.

The overall mechanic may be susceptible to abuse but it requires something that is perhaps one of the most difficult things to achieve (the Staff of Nicator) in order to become susceptible. Therefore wielder/winner of the staff is likely to be a reasonable person who understands "abuse it and you'll lose it." Responsible people can have nice things on the internet, and anywhere else. The reason people say things like "can't have nice things" can be related to an attitude where they feel they are doing the world a great service by warning (sometimes passively) those in control to preemptively change rules to outlaw or somehow prevent things that are already very unlikely to occur, which ultimately has a negative impact on society as a whole.
  • Strata said:
    Oops I came back from breakfast and @Cooper is trying to start a pitchfork mob, as usual - so I'll explain the above below.

The overall mechanic may be susceptible to abuse but it requires something that is perhaps one of the most difficult things to achieve (the Staff of Nicator) in order to become susceptible. Therefore wielder/winner of the staff is likely to be a reasonable person who understands "abuse it and you'll lose it." Responsible people can have nice things on the internet, and anywhere else. The reason people say things like "can't have nice things" can be related to an attitude where they feel they are doing the world a great service by warning (sometimes passively) those in control to preemptively change rules to outlaw or somehow prevent things that are already very unlikely to occur, which ultimately has a negative impact on society as a whole.
    Let's set aside the whole Libertarian philosophy for a moment.

"Abuse it and you'll lose it" is exactly the opposite of the reality in this instance: "Abuse it to keep it" is much closer to the truth.  If abusing said power gives tangible benefits and makes it easier to hold onto that power, then it is both attractive and advisable to abuse the power. 

Nothing about ~80% EQ reduction suggests that the way to keep it is to play nice with it.