Shared XP and Assists

Comments

• I like it, discourages LOS even more. Either you can sit LoS and hope to get a kill, or melee and be sure to get assists
  • Dalran said:
    I like it, discourages LOS even more. Either you can sit LoS and hope to get a kill, or melee and be sure to get assists
    Why discourage LOS?

Sounds like a personal bias rather than a logically sound argument.
  • Well the game itself is going towards discouraging LOS, looking at all the ranged nerfs, and I may be wrong but as a general consensus most people tend to enjoy melee more than ranged. 
  • Dalran said:
    Well the game itself is going towards discouraging LOS, looking at all the ranged nerfs, and I may be wrong but as a general consensus most people tend to enjoy melee more than ranged. 
    People enjoying melee rather than ranged doesn't mean a person who snipes isn't assisting in a kill.
  • I never said they aren't assisting in the kill, but going towards that, it's pretty much all reward with 0 risk since they're in a different room
  • edited September 2014
    Right because people sniping never get killed
  • Where's all this hate coming from? I'm a sniper I die a lot less than other people on my team, In a melee battle. Remember it wasn't even me who said LOS people shouldn't get assists, I just said that I agree/liked the idea
  • edited September 2014
    Dalran said:
    Where's all this hate coming from? I'm a sniper I die a lot less than other people on my team, In a melee battle. Remember it wasn't even me who said LOS people shouldn't get assists, I just said that I agree/liked the idea
    And I asked why because it made no sense to me, and even after you've explained why you feel that way it still makes no sense to me.

Participating in combat is participating in combat whether you're sniping or warping.  And putting yourself at risk of dying to chokes and arrows is still putting yourself at risk of dying.
  • I don't get why Vaehl insists that participating in combat is ever "extremely safe" even if you're three rooms away from your targets.  Guess what?  If you can hit them, they can (almost certainly) hit you back.
  • edited September 2014
    I don't think you've participated in any significant melees if you think that people will take time out of the 4v4 in melee to LoS at someone 3 rooms away, who probably could just walk out.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Psh. Antidas always primary target when i played.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited September 2014
    Either everything that damages/heals is included on the shared exp thingie, or nothing is. This system would gauge ASSISTANCE, not how much fun the target is having while dying. Pretending otherwise is just silly.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited September 2014
    If you gain guaranteed experience while being almost completely safe I don't see why anyone with LoS would melee unless they like dying or something. As I said before this isn't a nerf to assistance in ranged combat, just if the victim was in the room with the killer.

And if it's all or nothing then why are non party members being excluded when they can make relevant contributions? Since the fun for the victim doesn't matter.
  • Strata said:
    Sobriquet said:
    Wouldn't this just encourage more teaming outside of raid situations?

What @Nim said...

My 2c: 1v1 is dead, so it doesn't matter. Oh and here's a text game for ya: ssh narnia0@narnia.labs.overthewire.org (see the website for details).
    Should really be bandit first. I imagine Narnia is a little much for most people just starting out.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• I like @Vaehl's idea if only because of the number of rustled jimmies in this thread.

• I don't support the LoS not counting as assist idea.
    I  am -not- safe when sniping, I die often, and most of the time I shoot 5+ lupine arrows up a raider's ass, and it happens that one of our melee fighters lands a hit that finishes him up. Guess what? I'm sure I caused 5k+ damage, and didn't get a single XP point. Then I take a soulspear and an arrow (because, guess what? I'm in LoS too!) and I'm dead.
    Result: Lost 3% XP, gained none.

• That's definitely due to a lack of awareness, no offense. If you got LoS'd back it means you stayed too long after the melee. Serpent can easily be played to get snipe kills and out see: Merador's >3 and Mycen's >2 kdr as serpent snipers. 
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    I can easily be 2-3 rooms out, and still be targeted first. Moment I snipe, target changes to Daslin, or the moment they enter with melee, daslin is target, daslin dead. move on.
  • You and other snipe bots sometimes dying out of a lack of awareness isn't a good reason to provide experience for snagging a snipe on someone. It just gives a further incentive for people to leave a room and range, or to jump into other fights for that juicy experience with no reprisal. It isn't something we should encourage.

Amusing who all thinks that snipe assists should give exp too.
  • edited October 2014
    I think snipe assists should give exp too. I am not even a sniper/combatant. If someone opts to fight, there is always risk, therefore there should be reward. I get attacked for displacing. I'm not exactly saying I should get experience for that, but if something that can be done entirely out of line of sight gets attacked, I can't imagine how much someone who is in line of sight gets it. So yeah, definitely arrows should get experience.

• Amarillys said:
    I am not even a sniper/combatant. 

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Sorry,  with @Cooper‌ on this one.  Serpents should have to share their xp with the group too. 
  • For that matter let's remove shared XP gain from Serpents entirely since they can always phase away, and from anybody with Earrings because they can Earring away.  Too safe, they shouldn't get shared XP.
  • Too unscientific.

Let's hold off on giving anyone EXP for killing people until they actually die. You can say it's risky all you want but if they survive, obviously the risk was either zero to begin with or was mitigated down to zero anyway.