The Music Thread

Comments

• This is the longer, six-minute version. Still funky, though.

• The first time I heard this tune was in the PSP launch title, Lumines. One of the best puzzle games of the past decade.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States

• edited April 2013
    The Luna Sequence - The day the Curse Grew Stronger
    Full album on Soundcloud. Instrumental hybrid dnb/industrial metal.
  • Had this on my Jazz Fusion playlist even though its Prog Rock. Oh well.

• HaldonHaldon I forgot...
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States

• Probably my theme song.

• edited May 2013
    I am no fan of Country Music, but there are some likeable songs I stumble onto or am forced to hear.

• Best version of a Jazz classic.

• "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• For mother's day:

• It's been stuck in my head for like 3 days now, so have the best disney song.

Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Ahem:

and from one of the best non-Disney animations :

this:

and this:

and:

[I was raised a Don Bluth child and it's what made me study animation — none of this Disney sparkle stuff]

"Faded away like the stars in the morning,

• I think Disney gets most of it's bad rep for post 1990 stuff. I am still a firm believer that most all of their original animations are quite good, before they started getting rehashed into very bad bad bad CGI films that just hold the same characters and plot every single time. Also, all of the fiefel or whatever movies were good, but only when you were older. When I first saw them, I was too young to know much about the political intrigue of the forming of America.
  • edited May 2013
    Aepas said:
    I think Disney gets most of it's bad rep for post 1990 stuff. I am still a firm believer that most all of their original animations are quite good, before they started getting rehashed into very bad bad bad CGI films that just hold the same characters and plot every single time. Also, all of the fiefel or whatever movies were good, but only when you were older. When I first saw them, I was too young to know much about the political intrigue of the forming of America.
    That's probably where I go really weird as a kid :(  I actually knew about American Tail being an allegory for the migrant movement by the time I was 7 since we were taught that in school (and I was raised in SE Asia). Disney films actually make me gag because I'm conditioned to high expectations of a story containing lessons about death, taking gambles, independence, that not everyone is a blasted princess and —in many of Don Bluth's animations— you essentially need your own wits and determination to work things out sans sidekick.

Bluth films make you rally for the characters but also leave that sense of self that you're going to be ok in your own life because you can relate to the struggles they go through; Disney films though are about true escapism so when you leave the theater and enter into reality, you just feel like crap that you're not a princess with a 14yo singing voice and lots of Photoshop highlights.

I may or may not have studied ideological art theory specializing in animated films while at uni…

• Possibly, but the lion king is still hamlet, with one of the best murder scenes in all film making. also one of the best bad guys. It's also about just that, running from fears and having to face consequences.

I still found fiefel to be amazingly annoying, the musical scores to be sub par, animation too anthropomorphized for my tastes, and a bit more shoddy. Disney was really good about using camera panning in animation as well, which is something I really looked at.

As this is the music thread as well, I'll say disney music is better in general as well, and uses some amazing composers. Especially in Mulan.
  • Yeah that's because they actually had a budget and Elton John. And Phil Collins. Lots and lots of Phil Collins. Disney needed to make their money off of the soundtracks as that's a key way of keeping the profits coming in. Disney was always the studio (back then) that tried to pioneer new multi-plane techniques like in Lion King and Beauty & the Beast. Backlighting effects were experimented with American Tail first though and music wasn't ever a Bluth strongpoint.

There is this though, which I found impressive for an animation not many recall:

• edited May 2013
    Best Oliver and Co. song

And of course, everything Phil Collins from Tarzan is awesome. And that song from Mulan

Okay, it shows the video in the editor but not in the post :/ Here's a link
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Liked for Oliver and Company. I adored that movie.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• I learned today that many people have never actually heard the entire song, so here.

This is an appropriately named song for tonight:

Couldn't Stand The Weather by Stevie Ray Vaughn on Grooveshark
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead.
  • The japanese Shamisen is supposedly one of the most difficult instruments to learn. Anways, here it is! in the form of hip hop

• edited May 2013
    "Under all that we think, lives all that we believe, like the ultimate veil of our spirits." --Antonio Machado
    "The belief that becomes truth for me is that which allows me the best use of my strength, the best means of putting my virtues into action." --Andre Gide
    "It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well."  --Rene Descartes
  • Oldie but love..
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp