Quick Questions

Comments

• Shecks said:
    Saonji said:
    Shecks said:
    I bought it for Pariah since Pariah dies to a strong breeze, but it remains useful on all classes, while turning super tanky classes like Dwarf RW and Dragon into Juggernauts.

Well now that's just a flat out lie. It can at least take 'pretty windy' now in PvE, after the shield buff.

Soon it will be able to take 'a light punch in the face' - mark my words.
    I appreciate your positivity here but with the following defences...

+3 all stat arties + L3 bracelet
    Max level sip + regen arties + Berkana
    Boar + frogskin (extra boar)
    Horkval damage resists (L2 Cutting + Blunt)
    Cloth armor + cutting (7%) + blunt (7%) + SoA paragons
    Actual SoA (for armor)
    Trans riding + Legendary mount (lowers damage)
    Trans avoidance (lowers damage)
    Algiz (more flat resist)
    Omnitrans miniskills
    Maxed deathcape, Level 103 HP, Jera
    Fae Cauldron (extra 10% damage reduction in this case cutting damage)
    All offensive arties (L3 collar, L3 Int, L3 crit pendant + Lily buff)
    Pariahs Shield buff with 19 Str
    Magus (magic damage resist for Ladies)

... I still cannot bash Sidhe.   Not even close.  I have to hit and run to sip like I'm fighting Delos guards, while on other classes I don't even hit yellow HP in Annwyn.

And meanwhile on 2H a single APC kills a Sidhe while on Pariah 3 APCs DOES NOT kill a Sidhe (with 21 Int + L3 Collar).  And the Epitaph speed bonus means nothing when you can't do more than 3-4 traces without running out of a room.

I can't see this class being even remotely viable for bashing without armor or HP regen ability + a non-trivial increase in damage.

(PS sorry, probably wrong thread for this.  Feel free to reply back in the Pariah thread I'd you're so inclined).

Horkval damage resistance is not Level 2, it is it's own thing, and pretty minor.
    Riding and mounting does nothing against denizens.
    Cutting/Blunt Paragons are 5%, not 7%.
    Frogskin isn't an extra boar, it's less than that unless you're in natural water.

I don't know if you've suddenly forgotten about health elixirs, or think you have shield up when you don't? But, I have not had any issues with Pariah bashing. I can take on the double/triple angel rooms in Nur without running, with only level two defensives and no runes or frogskin up.

Shecks said:
    Argwin said:
    Looking at things from the opposite side - I created a brand new character to try out Pariah. Base INT of 15 and eventually added the trait to get 16. No arties at all. I put way too many lessons into Charnel at first because it looked cool, so I ended up hindering my own hunting ability. And yet it's still killing early game bashing better than any other class I've tried in the early game. (Note, Argwin is a runewarden but didn't pick it up until post-dragon, so I'm including runie early game bashing)

Having a high INT Shield with no armour hasn't felt squishy at all, and blood wrack is a really fast hunting skill. I was killing gnolls in Manara at level 15 with no sweat at all. Once I picked up a working epitaph chain hunting got even faster. At level 60 I tested myself against a Vertani guard in Tir Murann and killed it, only having to run and heal once.

I'm sure a lot of people can post better stats and anecdotes for early game hunting, but Pariah is the best I've personally played so far. 

Keep in mind that 19 Int and L3 collar does /almost/ double the damage of flat unartied 16 int Wrack.

For perspective, unartied Wrack (and Traces) do around 15% of the damage of 2H bashing attack (while being only a small fraction of a second faster). 

To be fair it's brand new and I am sure it will be adjusted.  Mak and others have already stated that a goal for 2021 is a full review of PvE across classes, in general.

Your numbers are incredibly misleading and wrong.

16 int (Int race, Int spec, unartied) no collar trace is 494 damage. Shave 5% off because I have an environment sceptre so - 469.3.

19 int, Level 3 collar trace damage is 660 damage. If you want to consider without sceptre - 627.

Unartied, Int Spec (which I'd recommend), traces do 75% the damage. Pretty good.

As for 2H, Unartied Slaughter does 1167 damage. Shave off 5%, you know the deal - 1108.

Unartied trace does 42% of unartied slaughter, while being not a fraction of a second faster. 2s for trace, with no epitaph bonus, and 3.2s for speed/slaughter.

Artied slaughter does 1367, and artied trace does 627. 45%.

Even at max epitaph bonus, which is not hard to maintain, 2H does edge out slightly, but Pariah edges its way into the mid 400's for dps, which is very much top tier. And its not squisher than any other class now. 

• edited February 2021
    Shecks said:
    Eryl said:
    1. Sidhe are incredibly resistant to magic damage. Bashing sidhe as Pariah is not something to use as a baseline because your attacks are neutered due to their resists. Of course your big crits aren’t going to one shot them. I swap to something else or go dragon for sidhe.

2. Hey that’s a nice list of artefacts. What’s weird is you have more than me, but I can bash all of annwyn as Pariah (including sidhe sometimes if I’m feeling angsty and don’t want to swap), and I haven’t had a single damn problem. Even the rooms with two ladies and a Knight are fine. Accursed Reconstitute is pretty dope.

If you’re struggling to bash with that loadout as Pariah, the problem is not the class.
    Your point about magic resist is totally valid.  know they had some level of magic resist, but I admit I don't know how much it is.  Still though I don't think it's enough to justify the difference between 1 APC one-shotting a sidhe and 3 APCs not killing a Sidhe, but that's opinion.

As far as defensive stuff, yes, I use reconstitute and should have included it on the list.  I'll see if I can figure out if I'm doing something wrong, but at the same time, I'm an Annwyn veteran - i've been bashing this area for 15 years on pretty much every class in the game.  All I mean to say here is, it's not really plausible to say that I'm just doing it wrong.  Bashing isn't rocket science.

One point I didn't mention is that I don't use defensive battlerage abilities on Pariah.  Do you?  (afaik the only one is Wail / Clumsinses).  While this might help it'd cut down on DPS, which indirectly means taking more damage.
    It can be plausible to say you’re doing something wrong. You are not the only Annwyn veteran of fifteen years here, and no one is above making making mistakes (even incredibly minor ones).

I use the fear sometimes if I run across a group of piled up mobs, and having clumsiness in a group is fantastic. Being able to combo off sensitivity of great, too; I personally hunt with a few people who combo off clumsy and give sensi.
  • I appreciate the tips, and also the in-depth responses.  I'll admit I may be not using battlerage at peak efficiency (although that's probably true across all classes evenly) - or may be letting a bad stroke of luck sway my general feeling of bashing on the class.  If I bring this up again, I'll come with numbers (and not here).  I'll also make sure to test on something without resists.
  • Can the winged helm or imperial cuirass from the mementos shop be made non-decay?
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    No    
  • @Azram The scroll is pretty clear that only a few of the things you get from mementoes can be permanent.
  • Does anyone know if the furniture stasis upgrade works for beverage aging barrels in a cellar? 

Furniture Stasis (keyword: fstasis)
      - Prevents furniture decay in the room.
      - 80 room credits.  (160 on a ship)

On paper, it would seem to apply given barrels are made by furnishers.
  • Greys said:
    Does anyone know if the furniture stasis upgrade works for beverage aging barrels in a cellar? 

Furniture Stasis (keyword: fstasis)
      - Prevents furniture decay in the room.
      - 80 room credits.  (160 on a ship)

On paper, it would seem to apply given barrels are made by furnishers.
    It does!
  • @Taryius Thanks! Allows me to delete that issue.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Is there a way to expedite bug reports or bring them to attention? Pretty sure I discovered one regarding Artistry and mixing supplies that pretty much prevents the skill from being used unless people just....use it regardless. I've submitted a bug report for this a month or so back, but it doesn't seem to have been looked at yet. 

• edited February 2021
    @Kresslack

You can bugappend to add comments but other than that I think only options would be 'issue me' or an email, unless you know which admin should be handling it, in which case you could message them.

I think you can see the priority and category it was assigned in listbugs tho.

I've had some fairly urgent bugs open since early January (including one on a 2500cr artefact) so I wouldn't get your hopes up.  

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Shecks said:
    @Kresslack

You can bugappend to add comments but other than that I think only options would be 'issue me' or an email, unless you know which admin should be handling it, in which case you could message them.

I think you can see the priority and category it was assigned in listbugs tho.

I've had some fairly urgent bugs open since early January (including one on a 2500cr artefact) so I wouldn't get your hopes up.  

So far it hasn't been assigned to any category, and has 65 days left on it. I'll try appending to add some comments and see if that helps.

• CeYGNjiN - ada-young.com (ada-young.com)

I am using WunderSys and when I enable DEBUG and do BDEF (defup in wundersys), I see these gmcp goes by, so many of them. Is this normal? If not, how do I track and reduce it?
  • Looks like it has a lot of different functions referencing gmcp events.

There's a bunch of things that get gagged when you defup with wundersys (settings aliases, running queues etc). You'll see the debug events for those gagged lines. In this case it looks like a lot of ones are getting gagged at once.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• I'm considering coming back after almost a year or so of being away from the game and had a couple quick questions. 

1. Would anyone have a system/GUI combo recommendation for a from-scratch Mudlet setup? Over the course of the past year, I needed to format the drive that had my Mudlet install and the last backup of the system I was working on is, unfortunately, months out of date and in a non-working state. At this time I'm leaning toward combining Zulah GUI with SVOF, but I am open to recommendations for other systems or ancillary scripts to go with them as well. Also, I'm probably not going to focus on PvP this time around beyond basic self-defense, so I don't think I'll need any scripts specifically for raids, duels, etc.

2. Regarding casing, fencing, and pickpocket/burglary mechanics: It's my understanding that artefact packs like the wyrmskin pack do not provide any additional defense against theft via pickpocket, as any non-resetting contents are automatically stolen to be fenced and gold is out-right stolen. Also, anything worn cannot be pickpocketed, so you have to be snapped to remove your pack, which should activate your anti-theft defense anyway. Beyond just basic anti-theft triggers, would the next best defense against pickpocketing just be a shimmering orb, and if so, is there an artefact equivalent that is non-decay and resetting or can you just customize a shimmering orb to be non-decay/resetting? I am aware of the Orb of Suppression, but that seems to only hide artefacts and seems moot with the whole worn-item point anyway. Also, beyond resetting items, are there any items that cannot be expressly pickpocketed or is everything non-resetting free game?

3. I plan to go through HELP CLANLIST and proper IC channels in game, but does anyone know if there are there any IC clans focused on the PvE hunting aspect of the game with a sort of "guild of monster hunters" flavor to them that I can look into? I feel like focusing on PvE / hunting would probably be a better approach to my experience this time around and help prevent the burnout I tend to get after a few weeks of trying to smash my face against a brick wall in the arena.

• edited March 2021

@Synthus

I recommend going full serverside for a month or two. There is so much power in the system that goes unused, so it's good to dig as deep as you can before adding on more advanced client-side control. Once you do, there really are no great systems right now. Wundersys was on the right track like 3-5 years ago but isn't maintained and SVOF stopped trying years ago. If you have in-game friends with similar class(es) as you, they may be willing to share, but that will come with its own set of issues (as it won't be designed for sharing).

Regarding GUI, this is a personal taste thing, but there no doubt it will add complexity to everything you do, so my personal recommendation if you're interested in combat is to avoid this until way later (don't do it at all until years later), but if you're purely doing RP and PVE do it FIRST so everything else can be built around it from the start. Again though, this is all about personal taste so disregard if it doesn't mesh with what you're looking for. Personally I'm almost 20 years in and don't use GUI at all because it makes everything twice as difficult and also tends to pull your eyes away from where they should be - your main window.

2) figure this out in game. It's a role playing game, so play the role of a person wanting to master theft. It's unlikely that you'll find OOC help on this but if you do, you'd be robbing yourself of one of the most fun elements, which is the learning curve.

3) same as 2, but afaik know the answer is no to clans (your question) but yes in that this is pretty much what cities and houses are for. If your city/house isn't doing this for you, get a new one, or figure it out yourself, depending on your priorities. Targossas, Cyrene, Mhaldor, and Eleusis are all pretty good about helping novices, but can't speak for modern Houses.

• @Synthus:

1. As usual, the best serpent in the game is giving out incorrect information. SVOF continues to be maintained by a group of amazing people. It includes serverside support, but installation is a little more in-depth now. You'll want to use the IN CLIENT version of SVOF. There's a forums post detailing how to find and install it. If you're starting out from scratch, this is a great place to start. Many top-tier combatants use SVOF to an amazing degree. There's even an in-game clan and a discord full of super helpful people to get you started with it. Lots of those folks don't mind answering questions and helping install, either. I highly suggest it and use it myself! As for GUIs, that's out of my ballpark. I just have a map and a chat box that I wrote when I was like 12 and I'm happy as a lark I haven't had to change them.

You definitely want to take a look at the in game CURING command, as well. SVOF does a great job of managing everything, but once you turn serverside curing on inside SVOF, making priority changes is a lot simpler using the CURING commands. For instance, CURING QUEUE INSERT 1 RESTORATION TO TORSO would not change any of your priorities, but would let you override any other cure with restoration to torso. Similarly, you can use CURING PRIOAFF IMPATIENCE to tell serverside "Hey, I have impatience and want it cured ASAP." Serverside will then do everything it can to cure impatience, and once it's been cured, it will go back to behaving normally. As a last final example, you can use CURING PREDICT <AFFLICTION> to tell serverside "Hey, I think I might have <AFFLICTION> and you missed it because it was hidden, can you deal with that please?

Another option you have is Wundersys. It's not really maintained anymore as far as I'm aware, but I do know some notable combatants who still use it (or at least parts of it)!

2 Antitheft is a lot different nowadays, and I can see why the world's #1 serpent would want you to find out in game. Basically if you keep selfishness up and don't AFK where thieves can snap you, you'll be fine. If you have selfishness up, a thief has to suggest you to drop selfishness, snap you and start pickpocket, wait five seconds during a hard channel, then they get a chance to pickpocket an item right as your selfishness falls because of timing. This means you have five seconds after a snap to react if you keep selfishness up. Other than that, pickpockets can increase the chance of getting a specific item from you by casing you repeatedly, though they may only case you once every X amount of time. Keep your shit worn, your important stuff in a pack, selfishness up, and don't AFK and you won't ever get thieved.

3 I don't know of any specific clans like that, but many of the cities have hunters just like PKers. Most houses also provide incentives for hunters similar to those incentives they provide to PKers, as well. Many cities will help encourage you, as well. Hunting is something that is pretty universal; you'll be able to find a good crew to support you in any city.

NOTE: As with any system that you didn't write, SVOF will have some growing pains as you learn to manage the various syntaxes. However, most of them are standardized and straightforward, and as mentioned, joining the SVOF clan and discord is super helpful!

• SVOF is updated by a group of people, and has been since it was started.

GUI is one of the most important additions to the game you can use to make your life so much easier and fun. Do NOT skip it. It makes everything easier to see and do. At the very minimum you will want a map and chat log.

There is more than one clan focused on hunting or how to push yourself while hunting. The closest thing to what you're looking for would be the Lupus clan, but it isn't a perfect fit. It would be a cool idea to flesh out and start, but some players would hesitate to help players not in their faction bash faster or help them strategize killing the real tough stuff. That is probably better handled via a city clan/project/help file.

• I recently returned, changed to svof in client, it's really good, but I also took the chance to look at Wundersys and never looked back. Despite Wundersys bring old and not updated, it's extremely lightweight and super easy to edit and customise. I ended up changing it a lot and making it how I want it to be. If you want flexibility and want to go with a lightweight one that can augment serverside's basic, it's good to try.

• My suggestion would also be wundersys.

With some work you can really start to edit and adapt the system to work how you want, I found svof to be too complex to fix issues on my own and was reliant on them being fixed by the dev team for Svo.

Svo has some great stuff and its definitely a really good system, but wundersys being so easy to edit when you spend a bit of time made it better for me.

You do need to add some classes etc. yourself, but you can mimic other things that are already set up in the system. Grab the wsys + foundation package and you're good to go!

• Just want to double check, as it isn't clear in the help files for houseing 20.3, is any different syntax needed to buy a room for someone else when it's for a ship?

This is the only buying for others syntax: BUY ROOM AS GIFT FOR <person>

But double comms are needed for ships/out of subdivision properties, so, any different syntax? Specification? Should I just give the comms to the person I was gonna buy it for?

• edited April 2021

@Ryssa The syntax ( BUY ROOM AS GIFT FOR <person> ) should be the same as buying a normal room credit for someone. No need to do anything special.

As far as I'm aware, the only thing that changes for ships/out-of-subdivision properties is that the cost is doubled for rooms and upgrades. For example, a room in a subdivision plot costs 10 room credits, but upgrading a ship cabin to a room, adding a ship room, or adding an out-of-subdivision room costs 20 room credits.

Additionally when dealing with ships, you are limited in the number of rooms you can add based on the type of ship. There's 2 on a windcutter, 5 on a seastrider, and I'm not sure how many you can add to a war galley.

• @Synthus ah, ye, forgot it was a room credit being purchased, not a whole room :P

• What's Deplete Glory?

Current cooldowns:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deplete Glory Bonus: 54 minutes and 25 seconds.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

That's the tank thing that gives experience.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• @Shirszae ohhhhh.... okie, never noticed it before

• OOS housing got changed, a bit back, so that it isn't double the cost for rooms.

• Hmm, I'll have to double-check additional room costs later on for things like HOUSING CREATE ROOM <dir>, but HOUSING CREATE while in the cabin of a ship still says 20.

Then again, maybe the changes to the rates are just for OOS houses, and not ship houses? I can't test that one unfortunately.

• Correct. OOS Housing, not ship housing.

• Gotcha, that makes more sense then. 👍️ The help file should probably be updated to drop the bit about out-of-subdivision costs then. It still says the rooms cost double ( but upgrades are the same price ).