Quick Questions

Comments

• We ever get that item for the Certimene quests? I can't remember if I completed mine or not, I'd hate to have missed out.

• edited October 2020
    Every time someone asks four weeks get added to the wait time.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Trey said:
    We ever get that item for the Certimene quests? I can't remember if I completed mine or not, I'd hate to have missed out.
    The unofficial official response:

• ah, thanks. I'm in the Achaea discord but I have all but the art + food channel muted

Does anyone know why Tsol'aa needs to be capitalized? I mostly see races such as human, mhun, satyr and the like as common but based on a design return was advised Tsol'aa needs to be capitalized. Just wondering if there is a lore reason for this or if it's just one of those things. I was always under the impression that species were common nouns.

• Can you still get those crossbows from seafaring talismans? Can you upgrade the bow level/shooting, and can you customize them?
  • edited October 2020
    No and yes, but via issue me.

Edit: For the upgrade part, idk about custom.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Vinzent said:
    No and yes, but via issue me.

Edit: For the upgrade part, idk about custom.
    Wait you can upgrade the bow level? Nice! 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

•       crossbowpieces
    Q 1   the mounting plate of a crossbow  1     Seafaring  crossbowmount
    Q 1   the string from a crossbow of coc 1     Seafaring  crossbowstring

Within the past two weeks from Voyaging.
  • Yeah I've seen them about, but they aren't supposed to be as far as I remember. Unless that was for refining/promotional only but I doubt that. The introductory voyages announce post mentioned them cutting the crossbow. It uses bow stats, you just can't upgrade manually because the system won't let you.
  • I just want an artefact crossbow, and apparently you can't customize the regular bows into one.
  • You can't upgrade the seafaring ones at all. Thats the big drawback, it comes with shooting but its stuck at level 1.
  • I was told you could by more than a few people. Issued myself as well to get an answer a long time ago.
    Kog said:
    I just want an artefact crossbow, and apparently you can't customize the regular bows into one.
    You should be able to customise an artefact bow into a crossbow, so long as the main noun 'bow' remains in there.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited November 2020
    Kresslack said:
    Kog said:
    I just want an artefact crossbow, and apparently you can't customize the regular bows into one.
    You should be able to customise an artefact bow into a crossbow, so long as the main noun 'bow' remains in there.
    I remember trying way back when and being told no. You can make complex thing simpler (handaxe into axe) but not simpler things complex (bow into crossbow) 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• A crossbow and a bow are classes of bow, though. It's misleading what it actually is.

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    a crossbow is not a bow, it's a machine that launches BOLTS, not ARROWS. 
  • Shirszae said:
    Kresslack said:
    Kog said:
    I remember trying way back when and being told no. You can make complex thing simpler (handaxe into axe) but not simpler things complex (bow into crossbow) 
    This is basically what I got back, yes. Money can be exchanged for goods and services, but apparently not this specific good. Take my money dammit. :angry:
    I've had my crossbow for about....six years now? It started as a lvl 1 artie bow. It shoots arrows, just like the regular crossbows you can buy in game do.

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Kresslack said:
    I've had my crossbow for about....six years now? It started as a lvl 1 artie bow. It shoots arrows, just like the regular crossbows you can buy in game do.
    Unacceptable
  • Shirszae said:
    Kresslack said:
    Kog said:
    I don't understand the purpose of saying no to requests like that. It's not anachronistic, it doesn't make the weapon any different stat-wise that could cause balance issues, the attacks all look the same. If it's meaningful to a character to have a crossbow instead of a bow, who the fuck cares whether it becomes more or less complex? I appreciate the idea that we should have high standards in the game, but this isn't a high standard, it's an arbitrary rule that benefits nobody.  
  • Laedha said:
    Shirszae said:
    Kresslack said:
    Kog said:
    I don't understand the purpose of saying no to requests like that. It's not anachronistic, it doesn't make the weapon any different stat-wise that could cause balance issues, the attacks all look the same. If it's meaningful to a character to have a crossbow instead of a bow, who the fuck cares whether it becomes more or less complex? I appreciate the idea that we should have high standards in the game, but this isn't a high standard, it's an arbitrary rule that benefits nobody.  
    But...arbitrary standards are the standard  :)
  • Laedha said:
    Shirszae said:
    Kresslack said:
    Kog said:
    Because crossbows are actual weapon categories, as far as I know.

It goes Bow > Crossbow > Darkbow in terms of actual statistics.
  • Adrik said:
    Laedha said:
    Shirszae said:
    Kresslack said:
    Kog said:

Customizing a bow to appear like a crossbow would leave it at the bow stats though, right? 
  • KogKog
    edited November 2020
    Adrik said:
    Laedha said:
    Shirszae said:
    Kresslack said:
    Kog said:

Vinzent said:
     It uses bow stats, you just can't upgrade manually because the system won't let you.

Also crossbows have 1 more damage and the same to-hit as darkbows, from a quick check. Maybe they're classed as different weapons so the formulas are different, but in general:

Crossbow:
    Damage: 21, To-Hit: 33

Darkbow:
    Damage: 20, To-Hit: 33

L1 Bow:
    Damage: 21, To-Hit: 38

L2 Bow:
    Damage: 23, To-Hit: 40

L3 Bow:
    Damage: 26, To-Hit: 42

Crossbows look superior to Darkbows on stats alone.

Tl;dr I would like to exchange money for a crossbow.
  • edited November 2020
    Shirszae said:
    Kresslack said:
    Kog said:
    This partly has to do with the words you can use to interact with an object - for example, a handaxe can be probed with both PROBE HANDAXE and PROBE AXE - but an axe cannot be targetted with PROBE HANDAXE.
    This cannot be changed on an item-by-item basis.
  • Which factions/cities are the most active in PvP? Are there any that should be avoided for someone interested in the PvP aspect of the game?
    Woeg said:
    Which factions/cities are the most active in PvP? Are there any that should be avoided for someone interested in the PvP aspect of the game?
    At this point I think all factions are, but I think Cyrene and Eleusis are maybe the least involved offensively (for now).

If you're looking for a lot of offensive PvP, try Mhaldor, Ashtan, Hashan, or even Targossas. 

• Where might I find some official guidelines for race terms? 

HELP CRAFTING GUIDELINES states, "4) Race names should only be capitalised at the start of a sentence, except for the Tsol-related races (Tsol'teth, Tsol'aa, Tsol'dasi) and Vertani whose names are always capitalised. This covers all usage of the race, not only its actual name. Incorrect: A Xorani style suit made for a Xoran. Correct: A xorani style suit made for a xoran."

The in-game command HELP XORAN[I] and the description of Prin seem to agree with this, but not the description for Bagwar's Copse .

There is a line in HELP RACES that states, "It's said that powerful Xorani can breathe fire." A related line can be found in HELP FIREBREATHING. This is doubly confusing because I had thought that "Xorani" meant the xoran racial language, though I have sometimes seen it used to express that something is xoran-like. Are the racial languages capitalized? What does the word "Xorani" mean exactly?

I'm in the process of cleaning up my racial clan's help files and would appreciate a standard to adhere to.
  • Crafting standards are "Whatever we decide to do at the time of your submission."

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.