No Achaean Language

Comments

• edited April 2017
    For something that is only intended to last a single day, as a joke, y'all sure are getting awfully pissy about it. Despite there being a counter to it, that is extremely easy to get access to.

A harmless, 24h joke annoying you that badly? Pay 1000g (if that) and toss a necklace to the person you're trying to talk to. Easy.
  • I want to change my vote. 

I can't read anything I wrote in my journal. T_T There was so much good stuff in there.
  • edited April 2017
    Ryzeth said:
    For something that is only intended to last a single day, as a joke, y'all sure are getting awfully pissy about it. Despite there being a counter to it, that is extremely easy to get access to.

A harmless, 24h joke annoying you that badly? Pay 1000g (if that) and toss a necklace to the person you're trying to talk to. Easy.
    Its more an annoyance than funny in my opinion. So sorry for not getting the joke. I'll make sure to forward my feelings on all potential jokes to you before posting in a thread from now on.
  • My main issue with it as of right now is that I tend to use NPC dialogue and interaction to do my quests, so it's difficult to know what I'm doing when I can't even get the details of the quests from NPCs because everything said is unintelligible. My only alternative for this so far has been using external websites to try and finish quests, which I find to be a bit of a hassle because Achaea only has so many reliable guides.

It's also something of a bummer if RP occurs, too, seeing as my character does intend to go out into the world and experience new things and people.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I'm actually enjoying the no-Achaean thing. It's made for some good hard belly-laughs.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Just tried to explain to an Atavian from Hashan I was checking up on the dwarf denizens in an area. Would rate experience 1/10. Spent more time trying to get them (a bard) to use their harmonics so we could talk than it was worth attempting to RP a dwarf who cares about other dwarves. This has implications on PK as well. If I give someone a warning to stop hunting dwarves and they do not understand me (or even just pretend they don't) I'm not sure at what point I step in to protect said dwarves without getting issued.
  • Of all the players in Achaea, people who play in Cyrene are the most vapid, self-absorbed, angry people I've ever seen. Sheesh, get a fucking grip
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Kogan said:
    Frederich said:
    Then use those language points and gold to learn some damn racial languages.
    Or not. Have you done the math on that? I know @Ahmet has. Don't remember the exact number, but perhaps he does.
    Somewhere in the billions. lol.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Kogan said:
    Just tried to explain to an Atavian from Hashan I was checking up on the dwarf denizens in an area. Would rate experience 1/10. Spent more time trying to get them (a bard) to use their harmonics so we could talk than it was worth attempting to RP a dwarf who cares about other dwarves. This has implications on PK as well. If I give someone a warning to stop hunting dwarves and they do not understand me (or even just pretend they don't) I'm not sure at what point I step in to protect said dwarves without getting issued.
    Just emote your says and bypass the language system entirely.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited April 2017
    Ellodin said:
    i actually would like this quite a bit, though i can see why it would be obnoxious. it's like playing discworld mud back in the day and going to agatea as a morporkian. of course, you can cheat around it with emotes, but i actually enjoy it for immersion. make necklaces of comprehension great again

edit: also opens up the scintillating rp avenue of racism
    Much agreed about the feeling of the experience (I miss you discworld) and avenues of terrible racism! I'm into it.

The obvious thing is that some parts would have to be fixed - like, most denizens speak in common, they'd have to be shifted to speak their own racial language. Also, not being able to read letters/journals and such. But I consider those just bugs that would have to be smoothed over for any long-term effect.

But when I initially logged in and tried to talk to someone, we both were confused as hell as to why we suddenly couldn't understand each other, and then realized the announce and said person had just finished a shared racial language, so we spoke like that. It was fun and interesting, and I feel like it would continue to be so.

Lets do this!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited April 2017
    Aegoth said:
    Of all the players in Achaea, people who play in Cyrene are the most vapid, self-absorbed, angry people I've ever seen. Sheesh, get a fucking grip
    Ah, there is Aegoth. Thought we'd get through a thread without you showing up to tell people they're all wrong because they have a different opinion than you. Should have known better I suppose. Stated my opinions on it. Shared an experience with it. Aegoth shows up call people vapid while adding nothing of importance to thread. Job well done.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Kogan said:
    Aegoth said:
    Of all the players in Achaea, people who play in Cyrene are the most vapid, self-absorbed, angry people I've ever seen. Sheesh, get a fucking grip
    Ah, there is Aegoth. Thought we'd get through a thread without you showing up to tell people they're all wrong because they have a different opinion than you. Should have known better I suppose. Stated my opinions on it. Shared an experience with it. Aegoth shows up call people vapid while adding nothing of importance to thread. Job well done.
    Don't mind @Aegoth, he's just practicing his trollish for when this becomes a permanent implementation. 
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited April 2017
    I am still on hiatus, but man am I sad I don't get to experience this. What a neat idea, and I wish they'd keep it even though I'm sure they won't.

Necklace of Comprehension already makes it fine if you don't like it, city languages make it totally fine for newbies, and this sort of thing makes the world so much more immersive.

I'd also love to see how players cope with it long-term. My guess is that one of the racial languages would end up becoming a "common" language that everyone learned - which would work fine since the first few languages are so cheap. It'd be neat to see the language learning system actually matter to more than like five people. And that sort of in-character, social problem-solving is what I love most about Achaea. A "common" arrived at by players rather than artificially included is exactly the kind of player-driven cultural innovation that makes Achaea such a special game - that's the biggest thing Achaea has that other MMOs really don't.

All it'd really take to make it more reasonable is a TRANSLATE command, like do TRANSLATE TABOR INTO HUMAN and you'd automatically repeat what he said in the Human language - so people who don't speak Human would see:

Tabor, the Sugardown announcer says something unintelligible.
    Translating for Tabor, Tael says, "Whatever Tabor said."

Maybe also squelch it for people who do understand, so they see:

Tabor, the Sugardown announcer says, "Whatever Tabor said."
    Tael translates Tabor's speech into Human.

With that, translated conversations require an interpreter, but wouldn't actually take any longer to have since translation is instantaneous. And journals can already be translated!

I'm sure it'll never happen, but one can dream!
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited April 2017
    Make it understandable, but not speakable, to get round issues like those of the Sugardown announcer. For things like the Newbie and Market channels, everyone should be able to understand that, so make it language agostic. Make CLT optionally language agnostic.

Bards have a class ability to understand different languages, there's an inbuilt language system (if becomes more required, prices may need to drop!) and necklaces of comprehension are relatively cheap.

Selling my services as a Xorani / Rajamalan / Dwarvish / Atavian translator :D

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Now if only we had guilds again so we could ban the sale of Necklaces of Comprehension.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • i think a fairly interesting side effect would be making insular cultures more of a norm. in order to freely fraternize across national/racial borders, you'd have to make more of an effort, or at least it would be reserved for somewhat more experienced players.

the position of "ambassador" in the various cities could be used for international communication. racial communities can exist, and ashtan can force all the xorani into the ghetto.

this would be difficult for organizations like the Asterian Restoration unless there was a historical written language that could also be learned. or maybe we could also serve as an international publishing house and translate books into every language. perhaps the postal offices include a clerk who translates your letter. that way, you can REQUEST TRANSLATION OF LETTER TO ATAVIAN and receive a copy translated at an accuracy similar to, say, 20/26 language lessons invested.

anyway, it opens rp possibilities at the cost of convenience, but those opportunities would probably increase immersion through the illusion of more distinct cultures in a shared space.

happy april fools
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
    Might seem a tad more interesting if all the races had established histories in the lore and racial areas... but this isn't the case for all of them yet.

• You know, I'm having no issue with this.

Maybe y'all should invest in some knowledge.
    Oh please tell us where the Siren and Satyr histories are, because the only one written for Sirens that is ever talked about is in the Siren high clan and is not currently accepted as fact by the Garden as far as we've been told... so it's just a fancy fictional history until the Garden says one way or another. There is also no established Siren denizen area, though we have asked for one and submitted ideas.

• readnews events 31
  • I don't feel like this really adds anything to the game.

Workarounds are so easy and so trivial that all it really does is make the game harder for newbies. Everybody else can use use a comprehension necklace and speak their racial language and suffers basically no problems. Failing that, the first language is so cheap to learn(26 lessons @ 1k per lesson) that the world will almost certainly just settle on some racial language as the world's lingua franca and people will basically be required to learn that to participate in global society. My guess is Tsol'aa, though I also suppose Tsol'dasi is another candidate for the world's language of diplomacy, because it's free to learn no matter how many other languages you know.

Or, all of that aside, people will just use messages or invite people to clans/parties to bypass the language system entirely to say things that are needed. Or they'll emote their says to do the same thing. 

So I doubt it would really add much to the game once you're established as a player. Too easy to work around to add significantly to the game. I mean, my playing experience basically wouldn't change at all. I have more than enough language lessons and gold saved up to learn whatever racial language ended up being used as common.

On the other hand, as a lowbie, all it does is make it harder to get into the game by restricting the people you can talk to by adding another layer of tedious BS to player interactions at a stage when new players are already overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff in this game. The last thing you want to do in a game like this is make it harder for people to communicate.
    Kez said:
    readnews events 31
    That hardly constitutes as much compared to the events and lore of other races leaving much to be desired, and still so many unknowns. It is not sufficient compared to the established RP and history present with the rest.

• Nazihk said:
    On the other hand, as a lowbie, all it does is make it harder to get into the game by restricting the people you can talk to by adding another layer of tedious BS to player interactions at a stage when new players are already overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff in this game. The last thing you want to do in a game like this is make it harder for people to communicate.
    On the other other hand, finding an interesting, immersive world that you can't find somewhere else is one of the biggest draws for a new player. Novices already get a huge bulk of their advice through their city and through the newbie channel, neither of these would be affected.

Maybe have rogues be given a necklace of comprehension as they finish their trial, or have R&J have a stack that they can hand out to anyone who seems to be having trouble early on. These problems seem solvable.

Also remember that in terms of new blood, Achaea gets a good number of people who've mudded before. Neat features that make the world feel bigger and more immersive, and less like an MMO but in text, would probably be at least as much of a draw as an obstacle.
  • Tsol'dasi is free and merely requires a quest.

Most people are dragon or aspring to be these days. Free language

Your citizens would all have a common lanuage of their city. Newbies wont suffer unless deciding to hop to another (even then a simple workaround could be made)

Really wouldnt be as much a big deal as people make it :/

Heck could make Human a universal language if you like. They're suppose to be the dominating race as is. Learn for cheaps.
    We obviously live to annoy you.

• Satyrs are a jovial race composed entirely of males, and are famous for a love of wild entertainment
    and women. Due to some unknown reproductive property inherent to them, their children are either
    satyrs or the race of the mother.

^ The only part of Satyr lore that really matters.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Pet reporting needs to change language :(

Aristeas, a gryphon tells you, "Start rarely necessary easy flat oracle tournament."

That is Achaean for "Bann has entered my location." apparently.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • So do admin 

The Divine voice of Meletus echoes in your head, "Zabmacuda! peapronis thinking promise folk slaughtered:81397# parties valid terrible buying evil policies guantur?"