No Achaean Language

edited April 2017 in North of Thera
so I don't know about you but I would not be opposed to keeping this change and I'm interested to see who agrees.

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates

Comments

• it's the april fools joke no matter how much we'd rather @Daeir's artefact choice to be it.
  • I really want this to be a permanent thing

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Morthif said:
    it's the april fools joke no matter how much we'd rather @Daeir's artefact choice to be it.
    The joke is the price xD
  • Aralaya said:
    I really want this to be a permanent thing
    Have fun giving House tests, chatting with friends on a ship, trying to hold a public debate, trying to hold a ritual, or basically anything that requires a group of people to talk.
  • A) Most houses use city and racial languages
    B) Cheap necklaces that can translate if need be
    C) it doesn't make sense, at least to me, to have a universal language

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • edited April 2017
    Should just go Aetolia's route from last year's april fools. Remove TELLs and SAYs entirely. Make everyone have to speak in emotes.
    #immersion
  • This would be such a bad thing. Seriously. Talk about hindering interaction/RP. Yeah, would be awful.
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• edited April 2017
    Ismay said:
    This would be such a bad thing. Seriously. Talk about hindering interaction/RP. Yeah, would be awful.
    MKO did it perfectly fine for years. I can safely guarantee you the language "barrier" between races was not really a huge reason for its low population. All it does is encourage you to learn other racial languages, or have one of those necklaces (that only cost like 1k) that let you understand (but not talk) other languages.

Muh RP. Lul.
  • And you see where MKO is now. Language barrier may not have been all of it, but in my case, it was a huge reason why I didn't play. Language barrier and movement restrictions killed MKO for me. :#
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• MKO was canned because of licencing cost reasons. Money was the only factor in its closing, not anything to do with how they handled their language system.
  • All this would do is make Necklace of Comprehension an HR1 requirement. Pointless and annoying.
  • I think it'd be fun.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Though I don't know what the code is like, seems from the outside like an awful lot of work for a functionality that becomes moot with a comprehension necklace. Also, it just becomes some other random worn item I don't even really like. I would actually prefer to cut down on how much I am wearing if possible, like allowing us to attach Shop of Wonders artefact to other artefacts.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• JaydenJayden WA, USA
    edited April 2017
    The one thing that stands out is that the world feels bigger. Interactions with foreigners require a mote of forethought, or even organising a translator. This opens up all sorts of interesting avenues, and makes the world feel less like a bunch of houses in the same cul-de-sac.

One thing I would like to point out is how quickly people are adjusting. After the initial shock, things became far easier to deal with - simply takes a bit of acclimation.
  • Jayden said:
    The one thing that stands out is that the world feels bigger. Interactions with foreigners require a mote of forethought, or even organising a translator. This opens up all sorts of interesting avenues, and makes the world feel less like a bunch of houses in the same cul-de-sac.

One thing I would like to point out is how quickly people are adjusting. After the initial shock, things became far easier to deal with - simply takes a bit of acclimation.
    Or a necklace of comprehension and we're back to square one. If they don't have one I'd just assume not talk to them before I market for a translator. Probably cheaper to buy them a necklace anyways and then we're all speaking common again.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Something else that would be interesting is that it'd make city alliances meaningful again, as it'd make the person able to communicate with so many more with ease.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

If we want it to be "bigger," just go back to not being able to hear people from islands and other areas that used to be closed off.

• JaydenJayden WA, USA
    Kogan said:
    Or a necklace of comprehension and we're back to square one. If they don't have one I'd just assume not talk to them before I market for a translator. Probably cheaper to buy them a necklace anyways and then we're all speaking common again.
    That's exactly the forethought I spoke of. Besides, if having a necklace may as well be speaking Achaean, then there's no real downside to losing Achaean outside of buying or making a necklace. 2,000 sovereigns spread out over the course of 30 days or so is so unbelievably negligible as to be nil. Even novices can get that in no time, and this would spur their production in some sort of volume, unlike now.

All two people from opposite ends of the continent need is a pair of necklaces, and they just speak their racial language, problem solved. Want to properly speak another language? Learn it proper, always an option.

There's barely any downside to losing Achaean, all that really needs to be modified from now is what to do with denizens, and fixing up the inability to write letters in a racial language.
  • Kogan said:
    Jayden said:

Just make necklaces give a below perfect level of comprehension. Makes for casual communications to work pretty easily, but more serious/complex stuff could use a translator.

If they were going to make such a dramatic shift to how languages work, the related mechanics wouldn't have to stay the same.
  • Keorin said:
    Kogan said:
    Jayden said:

Just make necklaces give a below perfect level of comprehension. Makes for casual communications to work pretty easily, but more serious/complex stuff could use a translator.

If they were going to make such a dramatic shift to how languages work, the related mechanics wouldn't have to stay the same.
    And I'll just not talk to people. That's okay.
  • edited April 2017
    I actually wouldn't mind this so much if they'd bother to test their code and not pooch written stuff. That said, they didn't test it properly and broke prod after releasing buggy code. Necklaces of comprehension being required isn't such a bad thing overall. So, until they can be competent about it, language back is my vote.
  • edited April 2017
    The main reason I like the change is it adds a bit more depth, at least in my mind. It just makes more sense for people to be communicating in their racial languages than just some language that just kinda exists. Even if it does use magical necklaces for understanding people it just makes more sense to me :/

Also @Haloshire since it was originally just intended to be an April Fool's day thing, I think the book thing is intentional. If this ever did stay the same I imagine they would do something about the books and letters

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • if we vote to remove achaean language. then we should be able to have someone who are able to translate (by straight or twist other's words). just similar to RL life where ambassador would have translator present to translate what other would say. and..official position of an translator and its aides? :p

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Aralaya said:
    The main reason I like the change is it adds a bit more depth, at least in my mind. It just makes more sense for people to be communicating in their racial languages than just some language that exists. Even if it does use magical necklaces for understanding people it just makes more sense to me :/

Also @Haloshire since it was originally just intended to be an April Fool's day thing, I think the book thing is intentional. If this ever did stay the same I imagine they would do something about the books and letters
    But you can do that without effecting people who see it as an annoyance.
    Having others translate seems like a horrible idea... the lack of privacy to a conversation could be gotten around with a necklace of comprehension, but it can turn a 5-minute conversation into a much longer one relying on others to translate. I don't like the idea of relying on other people all the time to communicate, or the loss of efficiency by relying on others to help me do so.

• Then use those language points and gold to learn some damn racial languages.
  • edited April 2017
    Frederich said:
    Then use those language points and gold to learn some damn racial languages.
    Or not. Have you done the math on that? I know @Ahmet has. Don't remember the exact number, but perhaps he does.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Tabor, the Sugardown announcer exclaims something unintelligible.
    *** The bell rings, the gates open, and the race is on! ***

Tabor, the Sugardown announcer says something unintelligible.

^ because that's how I want to play Achaea in future? No thanks.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."