Psycological Disorders and Trauma

Just wondered if anyone played their characters as a lunatic,multiple personalities,ptsd, trauma, anything you can think of. Purpose of this discussion is of course, what disorder(s) or defect(s) does your character have, if you feel like sharing..and if they have some, how do you play it? When is your character too nuts? Do you feel you can ever over do it? Do you feel this viable rp? Or maybe these people who rp this just drive you nuts...Lets discuss. And..go!

Comments

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Caoimhaen said:
    Just wondered if anyone played their characters as a lunatic,multiple personalities,ptsd, trauma, anything you can think of. Purpose of this discussion is of course, what disorder(s) or defect(s) does your character have, if you feel like sharing..and if they have some, how do you play it? When is your character too nuts? Do you feel you can ever over do it? Do you feel this viable rp? Or maybe these people who rp this just drive you nuts...Lets discuss. And..go!
    Your soul has been torn from your body, split in two, and one of the pieces banished. How are you not nuts yet?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• @Tharvis It's happened more than once yes. Caoi is nuts. Its just generally well concealed and only reveals it's self at specific times.  Anxiety attacks and much more. :P I just dont go hog wild with it for reasons stated previously.

• I cackle on kills and lick the blood off my blade when I sheathe. Smirk when I blade twist. 

I like killing people :)

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Atalkez said:
    I cackle on kills and lick the blood off my blade when I sheathe. Smirk when I blade twist. 

I would too if I could actually do it :( scrub4lyfe

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    Atalkez said:
    I cackle on kills and lick the blood off my blade when I sheathe. Smirk when I blade twist. 

You have a top 5 pvp class brother. Stick with it.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Atalkez said:
    Klendathu said:
    Atalkez said:

You have a top 5 pvp class brother. Stick with it.
    I am...

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Ama's a little crazy. I won't tell how since it's not obvious, I try not to make it so bad it is in people's faces, but I know @Shirszae's noticed at least a little, maybe @Teghaine has, too.  ^_^

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Yeah. It's really hard to explain "Why Mhaldor?" (or in Herenicus' case, "Why Cyrene?") when you know every detail if your story, and to explain all of those details to someone not only would take a huge amount of time, but you're not sure if they should know your character that intimately. Can be pretty hard to balance sometimes.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited October 2014
    I feel like, if you can't explain changes in a consistent, coherent, and effective manner, you need to evaluate if what you've done is more OOC than IC. It's fine to do things for OOC reasons- it's a game, but I am completely on the side of people who don't take people who do things mostly for OOC reasons seriously, in-game. I won't ever hold it against someone to switch factions because they're bored/wanted something new/wanted to be with pals/whatever, but I'm not likely to do much with 'em IC, either.

ETA: Not saying you -have- to explain yourself to everyone, always. Just saying, if and where you don't, I can see where people are disinclined to care/see you as being motivated by anything but OOC motives.
    Amarillys said:
    Ama's a little crazy. I won't tell how since it's not obvious, I try not to make it so bad it is in people's faces, but I know @Shirszae's noticed at least a little, maybe @Teghaine has, too.  ^_^
    just a little bit

• Yes, but as with all things, the onus is on one to be engaging, interesting, and earn the admiration/desire to play from others. You can't not explain yourself and expect people to go 'Oh, he must've had really good reason for that, and even though he'll never talk to me about it and betrayed the faction that I've sunk time and effort into, and jumped ship, I should continue to try and develop my relationship with him.'

Can't control what others do, only what we do! Like I said, it's fine, nothing wrong with it, and you don't have to explain yourself. I just think you're being a bit unkind about how people react to that sort of thing, when I feel it's a pretty reasonable reaction. Jump ship and don't explain yourself/make an effort to bridge the gap, you're likely to get written off, I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    But it is impossible is to engage us such that when a change is made, we can all exchange knowing smiles and nod our heads. Many somebodies are going to be left out, feel surprised/disappointed, and prefer to write it off as bad roleplay.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Personally for me, I had a big public post all written up to kind of explain in a way... and then I completely forgot slaves can't exactly post to public without permission. Derp. Should have posted it before joining, but hindsight is 20/20. :( Hopefully maybe I can re-purpose the post for something fun one day.

I have explained to any who asked and had a reason to know, though, which is a great majority of people who have approached me IC. There's just a short version and a long version, the latter of which takes time to explain since it involves fifty IC years of events and roleplay.

Long story short, I think it's better to assume there's a reason rather than there not being one. Whether you would choose to ask, or whether you feel one should have to present it could be argued, I guess, but I think most people can be thought to have a reason. I think what Herenicus is trying to say is that you shouldn't just automatically jump to "oh they OOCly were bored", unless that particular character has a clear history of such. Benefit of a doubt, etc.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited October 2014
    Edit: Lemme try again.

The onus is on the person making the change to leave a door open for people they're leaving behind to engage, even if they're upset (maybe after they've cooled down). When no doors are left open, I, personally, have no intention of wasting more time on a person who's switched sides, not because I think they're bad roleplayers, necessarily, but because the impression that said person doesn't want to interact with members of the faction they ditched is pretty strong.

It's a case, it feels like, of wanting one's cake and eating it too. You leave, you don't explain yourself- what are the people whose ship you jumped supposed to do? Being written off seems a legit reaction.

Now, when that is taken as 'x is a crap roleplayer,' I can see where it comes from. I have a hunch that most faction changes are OOC-motivated and/or badly roleplayed out (if at all), and I can see where people'd be inclined to assume that. As I said, the onus is on us to make ourselves appealing/engaging, not on others to perceive us as being so.

ETA: Yes, people should be better. But to be on the safe side, we should give them a reason -not- to assume that you're doing things just because you're OOC bored, w/e. It's your story, how your audience reacts is at least partially on you; if you haven't given them anything to react positively to, that's your fault, as much as it is theirs.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    People should be able to express themselves how they want. I guess people can judge how they want to.  Doesn't make anyone right or wrong in the end. 

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I didn't mean quirks, I meant full on psychopaths. I get that people can appear fine and be nuts underneath- and if that's the case, and you're good at it, more power to you. But what drives me up the wall is people who're full-on crazy for one thing, then they're completely normal the next. Their aggression/anxiety/etc. is triggered by some situation, but the next time that same stimulus comes up, it's ignored. Inconsistency is my enemy, not necessarily mental disorders.
  • Tharvis said:
    Amarillys said:
    Ama's a little crazy. I won't tell how since it's not obvious, I try not to make it so bad it is in people's faces, but I know @Shirszae's noticed at least a little, maybe @Teghaine has, too.  ^_^
    just a little bit
    Well now I'm curious why you think that >_<

Amarillys said:
    Tharvis said:
    Amarillys said:
    just a little bit
    Well now I'm curious why you think that >_<
    I just don't see an all too varied spectrum of rp-styles with my limited playtime, so the shyness isn't something I'm that used to seeing rped

• I go with more subtle disorders like egomania.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.