Desktop thread

Comments

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Tekk said:
    Kyrra said:
    My work desktop:

I like that picture. I could see myself putting on some headphones and listening to the rain/fireplace sites while working away. 
    It's part of why I chose it, for the relaxation aspect. Plus it was a super rainy day when I decided to switch out my background. Rainy weather is so soothing. :)
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited March 2013
    I hate having cluttered stuff on my desktop. That stuff folder in my screenshot is at least 12 GB because I put almost everything in it. Including a lot of my photography. Curse you .raw formats! But in the same sense, <3 you .raw (for those of you don't know .raw is like shooting with the most data saved so that your photo can be under exposed or over exposed if you want it to.)

Also, I am so minimalist that I even auto hide my task bar!!!! :D

• Wysteria said:
    Delphinus said:
    Wysteria said:
    you people and your non-minimalist desktops. Be like @Xith and I with practically NOTHING on the desktop (but guessing probably have a million folders in Finder instead)
    Desktop icons remind me of what I have: "Hey, remember this? You could play/use/do this!" If I relied on Launchy or something, all those programs would go underutilised. I prefer my breaks from routine.

Also, bare wallpaper is boring.

That's me dock there containing all the programs I use more or less daily. I actually don't have much more beyond that (well...After Effects, Premier Pro, Encore are in there too but those don't get a real workout much in comparison.
    I'm jelly of your adobes.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Siena said:
    I hate having cluttered stuff on my desktop. That stuff folder in my screenshot is at least 12 GB because I put almost everything in it. Including a lot of my photography. Curse you .raw formats! But in the same sense, <3 you .raw (for those of you don't know .raw is like shooting with the most data saved so that your photo can be under exposed or over exposed if you want it to.) Also, I am so minimalist that I even auto hide my task bar!!!! :D
    Do you find when you boot up, that it can take a long time for the desktop to get to a point where you can use it quick enough?  One thing that might help with that is if you move that folder off the desktop and have a shortcut to it there.  The reason being is that the pc has to "draw" everything that is on the desktop, meaning that it has to draw 12 gb of stuff on top of everything else that is on there.  You might find some performance improvement, assuming you are having a few issues, by moving that folder.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • @berenene good idea. I'll try it. My laptop is from 2008 so it may be a good idea.

• Still counts as "Desktop" doesn't it?

• edited March 2013
    -
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "If I overdose on anything, though, it'll be a lack of anything."
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "Isn't Morimbuul that Arab that was banished to beneath Mhaldor or something."
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    On my laptop at home:

(D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Xith said:
    Wysteria said:
    Delphinus said:
    Wysteria said:
    you people and your non-minimalist desktops. Be like @Xith and I with practically NOTHING on the desktop (but guessing probably have a million folders in Finder instead)
    Desktop icons remind me of what I have: "Hey, remember this? You could play/use/do this!" If I relied on Launchy or something, all those programs would go underutilised. I prefer my breaks from routine.

Also, bare wallpaper is boring.

That's me dock there containing all the programs I use more or less daily. I actually don't have much more beyond that (well...After Effects, Premier Pro, Encore are in there too but those don't get a real workout much in comparison.
    I'm jelly of your adobes.
    ^_^ I got the entire CS5.5 Suite when I was doing a short course to update my graphic design skills — so I essentially got a $12k package for $3k and since I have an ABN (Australian Business Number) as a sole trader freelancer, I could claim that off as business expenses meaning I only paid maybe $1.5k for it too!

:3
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Wow, that's massively overpriced. I was considering picking up the CS5 Master Suite when it first released and I think it was around $6-7k then, directly from Adobe. Who the hell charges double that for a suite?

• edited March 2013
    I got adobe photoshop cs3 when 4 was the latest for only $35 dollars. You have to love student specials!

• Kyrra said:
    Wow, that's massively overpriced. I was considering picking up the CS5 Master Suite when it first released and I think it was around $6-7k then, directly from Adobe. Who the hell charges double that for a suite?
    Because of the freelancing thing I was told I nearly had to get the Pro version which was some ridiculously overpriced crap for the Master. I searched around like crazy and found out printers don't really care if you're using the Education Version (some have nitpicky laws where they won't print pro jobs on Education software), the cheaper version it is :)

• OceanaOceana North Sea
    Valden said:
    Still counts as "Desktop" doesn't it?

Are those cans empty or full?
  • @Oceana, all empty. The reason I collected these cans is, one because I like the look of them and two because the cans are resealable so you don't get all the hygiene issues or smell of a bunch of old cans sitting around. That, and it's my poison of choice.

The first row is just sitting there and the next two rows are attached to the wall with blu-tack, but that doesn't stick very well with the cans so I've moved onto a form of double-sided tape that won't damage the walls for the top row.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Siena said:

I got adobe photoshop cs3 when 4 was the latest for only $35 dollars. You have to love student specials!

Sometimes there are issues with using education version software for commercial use. I have the student version of CS2 but never felt comfortable using it for commission work. I had purchased that while I was still in high school and doing graphic art / photography classes.

• I love me some creepy stuff.

I'll probably be shifting over to Starmourn, seeya there!
    discord: aciidwire#5240
    Please check out my new art page!

• That's more cute than creepy.
  • @Xae Reminds me of Scary stories to tell in the dark
    meh

• @Trilliana Oh man, me too. I also love those books.
    I'll probably be shifting over to Starmourn, seeya there!
    discord: aciidwire#5240
    Please check out my new art page!

• Kyrra said:
    Actually, last I looked their Master suite for even CS6 is only like $3500.
    Looks like $2600 now. I don't know what you would have done to get CS5.5 priced at $12k. or the original at $6k.
    The highest I've ever seen the suites is in the $3000's range.

• We're talking when Adobe still had that Student version literally be $1k worth of what was pretty much an expensive piece of demo software with only 1/3 of its features.
    Adobe got rid of that idea and made Education + Student have the same functions and also bring down the prices significantly after so many pros complained about the ripoffs in price.

• I shopped the pages for full prices when normal CS5 was released and master suite was only $3300 or so. You might have meant cs4.5 or something
  • Dunno, I've got CS5.5 which was going through the transition of being cheaper. So I waited out as long as I could until they dropped the prices.

CS2 Master was also very pricey and the upgrade wasn't possible as they were switching from Rosetta to Intel (or something).

• edited March 2013
    Since my 20" laptop decided to work again when I restarted it this evening, mwahaha. I can actually read the text in raids now.

Edit: the toolbar(RocketDock) with more functional icons: http://i.imgur.com/lVIH93T.jpg

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Is anyone else shocked about Amunet's choice of desktop wallpaper on her computer?  :P
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Because @Delphinus asked me nicely ages ago, here's mine.

It's not all that exciting, alas.

Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.