Artefact Auctions

Comments

• To be fair the admins here haven't opened the door for suggesting auction items, and the IDEA system is a black hole :/
  • I gotta ask, what the hell did the box even -do-?  It was before my time here, so I legitimately don't know.
  • I gotta ask, what the hell did the box even -do-?  It was before my time here, so I legitimately don't know.
    Only the owner could remove items from it.  Profit would just secret it to you then make you put things in it.  It was billed as the ultimate anti theft device, turns out it was the opposite.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I gotta ask, what the hell did the box even -do-?  It was before my time here, so I legitimately don't know.

It was a container only Profit could open so he could secret you the box then make you put stuff in the box and close it I believe. After he robbed most of Achaea they gave him a level 2 veil to replace it or so I heard.
  • That is legitimately funny as hell to me.  +1.
  • Vadimuses said:
    To be fair the admins here haven't opened the door for suggesting auction items, and the IDEA system is a black hole :/
    Well, my idea for a Shop of Wonders item (posted by Peak) was used for an auction item. So it does happen, but not always in a straightforward way.
  • Yeah, I think a fair few of the people who blow the kind of cash you see on auctions, and on Achaea in general, aren't even close to being able to really "afford" it - the demographic alone points to that, as you mention.  This is also why I think the Elite membership was a huge step in a better direction for both game and players (I'll probably get one myself, but still sitting on a small pile of credits and have more arties than any noncom could ever need).   
    @namino - well hello capitalism. Everyone is different some people never plan to have children or are born into money. Some people live in super expensive places like Hong Kong where a studio apartment is over a million dollars while some players live in countries where eagle wings is a months salary for the average worker. For me I view it as a cheaper source of entertainment than going out to a bar. If all I do is cut one bar visit a month from Achaea then I more than recover my $25 monthly membership.
  • @Namino I think you underestimate the cost of private school these days. I've looked into some here, and you're looking upwards of $10,000 a year. I doubt anyone has spent $130,000 on achaea. As hobbies go, there are a lot more expensive ones out there.

Also I think a lot of people who have those kind of credits sitting around - Penwize for example, has probably hunted all that gold, and hoarded it, plus iron elite accumulating.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• @katzchen

A year at a private school here is 4,200$. If you'd like a different comparison, that's two semesters for me now, plus change. On a line of code.

And @Sarapis... I don't think that's ironic. I think it's fairly ironic that someone who had to eek together the means by which to go into business for himself is attempting to portray a 4,500USD expenditure on a non-necessary object in a game with no graphics is a sensible use of money. Though knowing that Achaea exists because someone took advantage of someone elses' absolute stupidity is a metaphor for the entire game at this point. So, touche'.

As an aside..

6   WON    945/945      Ship weapon overhaul           Qwindor            0
    7   WON    945/945      Ship weapon overhaul           Qwindor            0
    8   WON    950/950      Ship weapon overhaul           Qwindor            0

Your ship shall be the fanciest in the land.
  • Wow, a year of private school is 4200 for you? It's at least 30,000 a year for good private schools around my area.

• I think people are mostly entertained/bemused/enthralled by the auctions - and people's bidding in them.  That's how I feel about it.  It's probably good, because we all can't stop yammering about it :)
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    I knew it was Qwindor on those weapons in the end. He was the only one whom I could think would want it.

.. Though he only has a Windcutter, I believe. Wonder where the other two will go to.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• I'm going to assume Qwindor bought all those for a ship that will be used for Hashani naval purposes, and also to keep them out of the hands of pirates, enemy, etc.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Achaea is a feel-like-a-badass simulator for rich people stocked with volunteer destitutes and college students to play the support roles.

It is something you grow to embrace.  It's so American it brings a tear to my eye.

• Jules said:
    I think people are mostly entertained/bemused/enthralled by the auctions - and people's bidding in them.  That's how I feel about it.  It's probably good, because we all can't stop yammering about it :)
    It sort of increased the feeling of hopelessness for me, although I was fine with it a few days before it ended. Different strokes, I guess.
  • edited January 2013
    Namino said:
    @katzchen

A year at a private school here is 4,200$. If you'd like a different comparison, that's two semesters for me now, plus change. On a line of code.

And @Sarapis... I don't think that's ironic. I think it's fairly ironic that someone who had to eek together the means by which to go into business for himself is attempting to portray a 4,500USD expenditure on a non-necessary object in a game with no graphics is a sensible use of money. Though knowing that Achaea exists because someone took advantage of someone elses' absolute stupidity is a metaphor for the entire game at this point. So, touche'.

As an aside..

6   WON    945/945      Ship weapon overhaul           Qwindor            0
    7   WON    945/945      Ship weapon overhaul           Qwindor            0
    8   WON    950/950      Ship weapon overhaul           Qwindor            0

Your ship shall be the fanciest in the land.
    The fact that it is completely non-necessary is what makes it fine. Some people do have money like that to spend on a hobby, auctions aren't something that everyone can compete in (at least not easily). I don't expect to really partake in auctions and I'm fine with that. 

As for this having long lasting negative effects on someone, Achaea isn't forcing people into making detrimental life choices, there aren't any Achaeans turning tricks to buy credits, as addicting as it might be. Even if people are spending money that they really should be saving, it's not for you to decide. You can't and shouldn't protect people from making decisions, even if the decisions they make aren't necessarily the right ones to be making.

Edit: As a side note, I've heard Sarapis bring up the original Achaean auctions before and I find that really interesting. If I recall correctly, Achaea was using a microtransaction business model long before it became common place in the game industry. It's not always easy to talk to friends about Achaea, especially if they don't have an interest in committing to an mmo (let alone a MUD), but I've always found it easy to talk about Achaea from a historic context, usually talking about their business/combat model which both really seem ahead of their time.

I've talked to friends that work in the video game industry about some of the ideas expressed here and they're pretty common place within Triple A games, which I always found impressive considering how dated that essay is.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

Regarding artefacts ive never been a fan of premium items that can alter the balance of power however there are a few encouraging things to gain from this auction 1) Achaean must be financially stable. The high auction prices means people are still engaged in the game. If the game went out of business we would all lose our earlier investments into our characters. 2) I like the customizable flavor type items as they provide some thing unique to the buyer while not impacting the playerbase as a whole. There does need to be a restriction on some items and said restrictions should be clearly disclosed before the auctions. Having your own personal clouds is great but a huge factional advantage if others are given access to it. Also there needs to be more temporary artefacts quests like Yudhihisthiras wings so people can gain access ICly through in game efforts over the convenience of always having of atavian wings. Just an example the temporary artefacts could be far more reaching than just wings.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Katzchen said:
    I'm going to assume Qwindor bought all those for a ship that will be used for Hashani naval purposes, and also to keep them out of the hands of pirates, enemy, etc.
    Likely. I should have pushed them up further. D:
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• edited January 2013
    @Sarapis I want more orbs, or at least let me sell the trait reset.
    Okk tells you, "You 'woof'ed on a house channel in a conversation with the Lord Bard."

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I'd rather be at home playing Achaea than out at clubs, getting drunk, having promiscuous sex and catching every STD under the sun because condoms are a foreign concept to most people.

I will admit that what I earn weekly, let alone monthly, seems to be a lot higher than what people in other countries might earn but it's pretty well balanced for where I live. For every cheque that I put in the bank every week, 3/5s of that goes toward rent in most suburbs here. I live in a tourist town. Food and fuel are expensive, they've just jacked up power and water to cover the cost of a new substation. I don't think I'm any better or worse off, as I'm just on a different scale with the same things eating into what I earn.

Even when I quit playing five years ago and thought I'd never come back, I never had regrets about spending money on Achaea. It's something I enjoy spending time on and I am aware that the money I put into the game for a couple lines of code pays for servers and admin to keep the game running. And for all the shit that some Gods get in game and on the forums, they are people willing to sacrifice their time for a game they enjoy, so others can enjoy it too.

tl;dr Auctions are a part of the game and Achaea is worth giving back to.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

Kyrra said:
    I'd rather be at home playing Achaea than out at clubs, getting drunk, having promiscuous sex and catching every STD under the sun because condoms are a foreign concept to most people.

Just when I thought we were getting along you have to start judging :(
  • edited January 2013
    I'd drop $4500 worth of credits on stuff in Achaea if I had that kind of disposable income. I also wouldn't fault Mr. Mihaly for having the conscience to offer a few lines of code that players deem worth that kind of money. He's not my financial advisor (though any advice would be welcome ;;) ), he's a businessman. It's not up to him to decide to how we should spend our money. If you're stupid enough to jeopardize your own financial well-being by purchasing credits when you can't really afford to, that's your problem.

Frik, ninja'd by lots of people
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Achilles said:

Kyrra said:

Just when I thought we were getting along you have to start judging :(

Sorry bb. I have nothing against people that enjoy doing that, just not what I fancy for myself. We only get along when we barely speak :/
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."