Artefact Auctions

As much as I disliked the last auction due to the to preposterously high bids everyone ended up making...

* Custom DEATHSIGHT message when you slay another adventurer

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Anything I say on the subject will be unnecessarily bitter, because I'm too poor to have a snowflake's chance at winning anything.  That said, I will be eagerly awaiting the mandatory ragepost from whoever pays a couple million on the globes and gets kerbstomped by the RNG.

ETA: I do wonder how the custom deathsight would work. Will it replace instakills etc?  Or just generic kills? @Tecton?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Sylvance said:
     That said, I will be eagerly awaiting the mandatory ragepost from whoever pays a couple million on the globes and gets kerbstomped by the RNG.
    Hopefully that wouldn't happen... globes were $3.99 each, so that's $25 for five (buying them one at a time - I think it was $20 for five in the recent event).  $25 is... not a convenient number, but let's say 60 credits.  So, assuming common sense (which is brave, I know), the auction shouldn't go about 360k.
  • Adet, that is adorable.

You still think we have common sense here.
  • @Adet I'll remind you of this post after the auction, chick ;)
  • I will always remain confused about people who spent a significant amount of money on artefacts, but would ridicule those who would spend a significant amount on something that's actually unique.
  • Iocun said:
    I will always remain confused about people who spent a significant amount of money on artefacts, but would ridicule those who would spend a significant amount on something that's actually unique.
    @Iocun - who's been doing that?
  • KelloniusKellonius Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    Can someone post the in game announce please? I'm at work and my phone is not cooperating. :-/
  • LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #3772
    Date: 1/22/2013 at 6:53
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: Auctions - January 2013

We're pleased to announce the commencement of a string of new artefact
    auctions! We have eight credit auctions for rare and one-off artefacts,
    and six gold auctions for regular artefacts. Bidding remains open for
    the next seven days, closing at approximately 23:59 GMT on the 28th of
    January.

Details of the auctions are as follows:

Credit Auctions
    ===============
    * Chenubian wings - Artefact wings with configurable exits
    * Free choice of any Shop of Wonders artefact (past or present)
    * A custom SHOUTing voice
    * Custom DEATHSIGHT message when you slay another adventurer
    * Landstrider's Visor - Expanded visibility radius on the
    seas/wilderness
    * 3 auctions for upgraded ship weapons that never decay or misfire

Gold Auctions
    ==============
    * Gem of cloaking
    * Epicurean Sash
    * Ogre's Gauntlets
    * Pixie's Boots
    * Hunter's Belt
    * 5 globes of shifting continents

For more information on how the auction system works, take a read
    through HELP AUCTIONS, and for more specific details of the items, check
    out AUCTION INFO <#>.

Best of luck!

Penned by My hand on the 12th of Lupar, in the year 616 AF.
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • edited January 2013
    Sylvance said:
    Iocun said:
    I will always remain confused about people who spent a significant amount of money on artefacts, but would ridicule those who would spend a significant amount on something that's actually unique.
    I was referring to Namino's OP. Namino has a fair share of arties himself, so I found his reaction to the sale of a unique cool thing like a custom deathsight message a bit weird. In contrast to buying stock arties from Delos, you're actually getting something special and memorable here.

Personally, I always considered customisations of any sort (ranging from customisations to pets etc.) to be inherently more "valuable" than stock artefacts.
  • Best item in the auction is the staff of aqueous mastery. 

• Cahin said:
    Best item in the auction is the staff of aqueous mastery. 
    Second best after the wings, I'd say, but a close second.
  • Sylvance said:
    Stuff

ETA: I do wonder how the custom deathsight would work. Will it replace instakills etc?  Or just generic kills? @Tecton?
    I came up with one that I think is appropriate.

Ripping Tom's head from his shoulders, Hhaos violently shits down his neck in a display of power.

That would get approved, right?

Also, I'm going to get a silver token when I win the SoW auction.
  • Rispok said:
    Sylvance said:
    Stuff

I came up with one that I think is appropriate.

Ripping Tom's head from his shoulders, Hhaos violently shits down his neck in a display of power.

That would get approved, right?

Also, I'm going to get a silver token when I win the SoW auction.
    Might as well take a quote from Full Metal Jacket and start gouging out some eyeballs.
  • Iocun said:
    Sylvance said:
    Iocun said:
    I was referring to Namino's OP. Namino has a fair share of arties himself, so I found his reaction to the sale of a unique cool thing like a custom deathsight message a bit weird. In contrast to buying stock arties from Delos, you're actually getting something special and memorable here.

Personally, I always considered customisations of any sort (ranging from customisations to pets etc.) to be inherently more "valuable" than stock artefacts.
    I think you misread his OP.  He was saying that he didn't like the last auction because the bids got too high, but that he's really excited/wants to buy the custom DEATHSIGHT in this one.
  • Oh, then I really misinterpreted it. Move along, citizens, nothing to see here.
  • Reposting from rants:

3   OPEN   ---/335      Custom shouting voice          ---              148
    4   OPEN   ---/314      Custom deathsight              ---              148
    5   OPEN   ---/2605     Landstrider's Visor            ---              148

6   OPEN   ---/500      Ship weapon overhaul           ---              148

Guess I won't be picking up that item I suggested. :(
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Stop jacking up the ship weapon overhaul prices. :C
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Delphinus said:
    Reposting from rants:

3   OPEN   ---/335      Custom shouting voice          ---              148
    4   OPEN   ---/314      Custom deathsight              ---              148
    5   OPEN   ---/2605     Landstrider's Visor            ---              148

6   OPEN   ---/500      Ship weapon overhaul           ---              148

Guess I won't be picking up that item I suggested. :(
    Maybe it will be sold in SoW at some point?  I sure wouldn't pay the MC equivalent of 2600+ credits for it though, not even close.  It's neat though.
  • I'd bid anything for a SoW Monocle (but I won't bid that).

** Summary for Auction #2 **********************************************
    Title:                                     (Days until closing: 141)
         Shop of Wonders artefact
    Prize:
         The winner's choice of any Shop of Wonders artefact from
         past or present.
    Current bid:
         1410 credits.

• I really do hope that they cycle through *all* of the SoW articles again.
  • Some of them were just OP. That's fair that they've been removed. Others would be damned nice to see back.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• In my case I'm just waiting for some new ones.  I did see that the sceptre pissed a lot of people off... okay, don't bring that one back.  But I love my monocle, for instance (that seems to be a *really* popular one) and if I didn't already have it, I'd really want another shot at it at some point.
  • edited January 2013
    Jules said:
    Maybe it will be sold in SoW at some point?  I sure wouldn't pay the MC equivalent of 2600+ credits for it though, not even close.  It's neat though.
    Being in an auction more or less guarantees that it won't be in the Shop of Wonders. It would be unfair to the people who paid an arm and a leg, and would discourage them from participating in future auctions.
  • Me when I see some of the things up for auction: image

Me when I realize I have no chance in hell: image

• I was thinking of getting the SoW one, but no way in hell I am paying over 500 credits for that.

Why can't they just bring it back with Crowns :(  (Rhetorical)

Yes I know why they don't bring it back with crowns because holy effing hell look how much they can get for it now!
  • Panpardus said:
    I was thinking of getting the SoW one, but no way in hell I am paying over 500 credits for that.
    500 credits for a useful discontinued item that originally cost ~300-ish credits (assuming about 30 credits per crown) seems perfectly reasonable to me. Some of the SoW items are much more useful than 1000-credit artefacts.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Mmm auction escrow.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited January 2013
    I wish auctions would take gold from your bank or hands, not just hands. Tax kind of sucks if you're bidding millions of gold and you lose. And I don't like removing that kind of gold from the bank. At least it puts it back in the bank after. I also wish they would let you deposit gold straight from a bank to request a ship also, rather than having to traipse around with 2.5-10mil gold in your pack.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Katzchen said:
    I wish auctions would take gold from your bank or hands, not just hands. Tax kind of sucks if you're bidding millions of gold and you lose. And I don't like removing that kind of gold from the bank. At least it puts it back in the bank after. I also wish they would let you deposit gold straight from a bank to request a ship also, rather than having to traipse around with 2.5-10mil gold in your pack.
    "Man, this pack is starting to feel lighter. Weird. Maybe I'm getting stronger or something."