Artefact Auctions

Comments

• Speaking of that. What ever happened to it? Where is that propaganda denizen Ovid bought residing at? 
  • Tvistor said:
    It is a shame because some of these things (like the custom deathsight) are immensely cool
    I guarantee whoever gets it will write a terrible message that makes you cringe every time it comes up - if they even PK.
  • Tvistor said:
    It is a shame because some of these things (like the custom deathsight) are immensely cool
    I guarantee whoever gets it will write a terrible message that makes you cringe every time it comes up - if they even PK.
    Not sure I agree with you, but it makes me feel better so let's roll with that.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Sylvance said:
    Tvistor said:
    Not sure I agree with you, but it makes me feel better so let's roll with that.
    They sold this in Imperian as their equivalent of a Shop of Wonders item, meaning dozens of people had them, and in spite of requiring admin approval for the message, they were all terrible.
  • *****************************[ Current Auctions ]******************************
    Id  Status Max/Min      Title                          Winner     Days Left 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1   OPEN   ---/10505    Chenubian wings                ---               10
    2   OPEN   ---/2671     Shop of Wonders artefact       ---               10
    3   OPEN   ---/650      Custom shouting voice          ---               10
    4   OPEN   ---/500      Custom deathsight              ---               10
    5   OPEN   ---/4005     Landstrider's Visor            ---               10
    6   OPEN   ---/945      Ship weapon overhaul           ---               10
    7   OPEN   ---/945      Ship weapon overhaul           ---               10
    8   OPEN   ---/950      Ship weapon overhaul           ---               10
    9   OPEN   ---/1760500  Gold: Gem of Cloaking          ---               10
    10  OPEN   ---/1721000  Gold: Hunter's belt            ---               10
    11  OPEN   ---/2331000  Gold: Epicurean Sash           ---               10
    12  OPEN   ---/1760500  Gold: Ogre's Gauntlets         ---               10
    13  OPEN   ---/1800500  Gold: Pixie's Boots            ---               10
    14  OPEN   ---/735500   Gold: 5 Globes of Shifting Con ---               10
    *******************************************************************************

• edited January 2013
    lol @ the Globes and the Chenubian wings

ETA: Like this post if you think that the winner of the Globes should be required to post up their contents.
  • edited January 2013
    I have to say, I know it's an auction, and therefore a completely different animal than regular artefact purchases, and I know that for some folks, this really *is* their one and only hobby/vice, but it still kind of blows my mind, heh.
  • Sylvance said:

ETA: Like this post if you think that the winner of the Globes should be required to post up their contents.
    I'm not going to lie. Your post irritated my quite a bit. You have to remember that there are quite a few underage players, and that they might not be able to send in real money. I see nothing wrong with them overpaying with gold for their only shot at getting globes. That's honestly not even overpaying by that much if you consider the rewards.  There's a very realistic chance that they could get a minipet, which were being sold for anywhere between 80-140 credits.

• edited January 2013
    Kazu said:
    Sylvance said:

I'm not going to lie. Your post irritated my quite a bit. You have to remember that there are quite a few underage players, and that they might not be able to send in real money. I see nothing wrong with them overpaying with gold for their only shot at getting globes. That's honestly not even overpaying by that much if you consider the rewards.  There's a very realistic chance that they could get a minipet, which were being sold for anywhere between 80-140 credits.
    Well, thanks for your honesty. I stand by my post. The globes aren't worth three-quarters of a million sovereigns. Period.  As for a 'very realistic chance' that they could get a mini pet... Please let's not insult one another here.

ETA: I'll confess to being slightly confused about your demographic harkening to 'underage' players. I'm guessing you mean players who can't use a credit card to buy OOC globes.  Assuming that was your line of reasoning, I find it confusing that you're saying that their best option would be to buy 5 globes in-game for the cost of more than 100cr... for a 'very realistic chance' of a mini-pet... rather than spending the 80-140cr that you've personally quoted to just buy the mini-pet on the open market.

Very confused.
  • Sylvance said:
    Kazu said:
    Sylvance said:

Well, thanks for your honesty. I stand by my post. The globes aren't worth three-quarters of a million sovereigns. Period.  As for a 'very realistic chance' that they could get a mini pet... Please let's not insult one another here.

ETA: I'll confess to being slightly confused about your demographic harkening to 'underage' players. I'm guessing you mean players who can't use a credit card to buy OOC globes.  Assuming that was your line of reasoning, I find it confusing that you're saying that their best option would be to buy 5 globes in-game for the cost of more than 100cr... for a 'very realistic chance' of a mini-pet... rather than spending the 80-140cr that you've personally quoted to just buy the mini-pet on the open market.

Very confused.
    That was my reasoning, and it's perfectly reasonable. I saw quite a few posts of people getting numerous pets per grouping of globes.  While that is certainly not a common occurrence, they certainly have a fair shot at getting one. Secondly, I haven't seen any pets for sale in quite a bit. Most of the available ones are already either gone or stored away in a stockroom.  If they didn't have the funds to buy one earlier, they are just out of luck besides this auction.

• edited January 2013
    @Kazu Let's agree to disagree. Sorry if I've upset you, but my thoughts are pretty set on this.

ETA - random cut off
  • I'm kind of surprised this is as sensitive a topic as it is.  I kind of don't get it... and I kind of admit to trolling, just a little, for that very reason.  :)  Honestly the stuff in gold might as well be in that ridiculous metric system the rest of the world insists on using.  But omg... the stuff in credits.  Floored.  Hah!
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited January 2013
    @Silas make that $4000

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I am sad. Next week is when I'll be able to afford stupid amounts of credits again (and instead of spending them on useful artefacts, I'll continue to buy worthless ones and then trade them in later). 

No auctions for me.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Sent By: Achaea on 1/28/23:27
    You have been outbid in auction #1 and your bid is returned to you.

Well played. I made him work for them. ;)
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Silas said:
    You have to wonder at some stage whether IRE start to feel a little uncomfortable about encouraging people to spend $4500(!!!!!) for a couple of lines of code. I mean, I know that people choose to participate in these auctions, but IRE knows exactly what people are like, or they'd make these arties reasonably priced and consistently available. They'd still make a good profit, but I just find this level of profit on one item kinda disconcerting.
    I only bought 2k credits for the auction and the rest was bid in escrow. I'm worth so more than what my maximum bid was, as well. And so far as I know, the only other person that was bidding on those wings had been saving for a hell of a long time, for the next time they came up for auction. I do apologise if I'm mistaken on that, it's only what I've heard through the grape vine.

So really, at least in my case, I've not spent anymore money than I have done since I returned from dormancy a few months ago. You really don't want to know how many credits I was buying a week back then. :)
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• If there's one bad thing about auctions, it's that they often go to the people who'll do nothing with them. I'm glad that @Penwize won, because he actually has a specific use in mind, but I lament that the use of his badass private island (which he won for freesies, on skill) was so prohibitively expensive.
  • Silas said:
    *****************************[ Current Auctions ]******************************
    Id  Status Max/Min      Title                          Winner     Days Left 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1   OPEN   ---/15505    Chenubian wings                ---               10
    *******************************************************************************
    You have to wonder at some stage whether IRE start to feel a little uncomfortable about encouraging people to spend $4500(!!!!!) for a couple of lines of code. I mean, I know that people choose to participate in these auctions, but IRE knows exactly what people are like, or they'd make these arties reasonably priced and consistently available. They'd still make a good profit, but I just find this level of profit on one item kinda disconcerting.
  • Delphinus said:
    If there's one bad thing about auctions, it's that they often go to the people who'll do nothing with them. 
    Yeah, that's the one thing that often bugs me too. I remember when Micaelis won his Chenubian wings, and afterwards he was like "hrm, now I have to assign some exits to this. What would be a nice place for them to go to? Because I don't really care so much", while I already had detailed, worked-out plans on where each of my wings exits would go to precisely if I won them.

At the same time however, some people conclude much too hastily that someone "is not making real use of it". Not every use of an auction item is of as much public notice as when, say, Tanris uses his wings or mindnet artie, but that doesn't mean the owner isn't still deriving a lot of enjoyment from it.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    @Bonko that's not a Brittney gif. What is happening to you?!
  • edited January 2013
    Silas said:
    Someone is obviously willing to pay, so I don't think there's anything wrong with this: "the market has spoken", etc. It's not like they are selling drugs to addicts (yes, achaea is addictive, but not that addictive).

What does make me sad is that the auction items are getting more boring every time. They've found what makes money and they're selling just that and none of the strange and interesting items we used to see. There's usually at least one or two items I'm interested in, but I didn't even bid this time.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I just can't fathom why there's so much bitterness during auctions and afterward. I'm honestly overjoyed that Penwize won them, but I really wanted them myself and I'd have put them to a specific use, just not in the same way he will.

I congratulated him on outbidding me and thanked him for being someone worthwhile to bid against. When I really want something, there's not much that I won't do to achieve it and unlike the last auction, I'm actually in a position of having a chance to win. Maybe I might have won if I hadn't told Penwize what my max bid was. That was how much -I- was willing to pay for something -I- wanted. He wanted it more, and I didn't raise my bid, though I could have.

While some people do nothing but hunt and get the gold for credits that way, some of us are the people that buy credits and sell them cheaply on the market so they're affordable to others. Hell, some people fish and others do commission work. None of these avenues is any less valid for acquiring credits over another.

Some people work to earn things. Some don't. I know which category I sit in and I'm perfectly happy with that. :)

• Tirac said:
    Silas said:
    Someone is obviously willing to pay, so I don't think there's anything wrong with this: "the market has spoken", etc. It's not like they are selling drugs to addicts (yes, achaea is addictive, but not that addictive).

What does make me sad is that the auction items are getting more boring every time. They've found what makes money and they're selling just that and none of the strange and interesting items we used to see. There's usually at least one or two items I'm interested in, but I didn't even bid this time.
    Well, how about starting a thread suggesting items to be auctioned off instead of just complaining about it? Trust me, our aim is auction off things that you guys want! 

I'm not really aware of what's been auctioned off in the past (barring many many rl years ago), so it'd actually be helpful for me to see a list of things you've seen auctioned off before that you liked. New ideas also welcome!
  • @Sarapis

There have been countless threads about artefact/shop of wonders/auction ideas on the past forums, and I can assume have been idea'd in game too.

Re: Chenubian wings.

Well, hope they are worth it!

• Sarapis said:
    Tirac said:
    Silas said:

Well, how about starting a thread suggesting items to be auctioned off instead of just complaining about it? Trust me, our aim is auction off things that you guys want! 

I'm not really aware of what's been auctioned off in the past (barring many many rl years ago), so it'd actually be helpful for me to see a list of things you've seen auctioned off before that you liked. New ideas also welcome!
    To be honest any of the other IRE games could be used as an example of arties.  Imp had tons of cool arties they did during this auction.

Morphing level 3 weapons?  That would go for more than the wings did.

I'm also guessing that the player base size of Imp (1/6th of achaea) has something to do with the OPness of their auctions.
  • The fact that other IRE games have those doesn't mean that the Achaean playerbase in general wants those things too. I mean, yes, many of them sound insanely cool, but getting too OP things would also piss off many players (like Profit's box and veil did).