Seamonstering changes?

Comments

• I mean if there's such a hard cap (literally) people can't be that angry or surprised. Voyages got cut to time, hunting gold caps... plus its way more fun as a character to say you took out that leviathan with a handful of crew. At least for me. What fun is it to just have a trigger that loads and shoots for hours? 
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    It will always amuse me in the most bitter ways how vindictive and vitriolic many of you are against your fellow players. 

I really agree with @Sothantos and @Davok. Too good to be true is not explicit enough. What is too good to be true depends too much on personal perception. I sincerely wish another metric could be established. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I think any reasonable player who has played Achaea for any length of time will surely know this level of gold gathering, at even the lowest estimates is above anything the Admin would normally allow to happen. This is especially true given the constant nerfs, caps, and reductions that are made anywhere gold can normally be gained.

That being said it isn't a bug as much as it is just players exploiting a mechanic as they do with any mechanic that can be exploited. For a lot involved it probably wasn't even a ridicules amount, but it does seem clear the total gold gained from this exploit is pretty high.

A good number players have been severely punished for doing far less. For consistency I kind of expect every Ship involved to be deleted, and a few captains to get shrubbed.
  • Learn to forage and you can make 200k in 24 hours during wood foraging month. But maybe they will change that soon too. And cap the foragers levels. 
  • I think this situation really begs the question, is it time to do a full hard reset on the gold/credit economy?

It's pretty clear that in the last ~4 years, more gold has been introduced due to Seafaring bugs than would ever have been possible through hunting/mining methods in the same timeframe, likely by an order of magnitude or two. Pandora's auction is a perfect example that there is entirely too much legacy gold lying around, let alone new gold being introduced through bugs like this. While the admin team do a great job of fixing once it happens, the reality is once the gold hits the economy the damage is done regardless.

I know we've been reticent in the past to hard code the economy and let the players decide pricing, but it's obvious that inflation has run rampant to the point that it's not really even feasible to continue to justify it. Credits continue to go up in price (though they have leveled out around 13500 finally), and with the introduction of Renown, CFS itself is really not the best way to farm credits anymore. Short of selling for quick gold, the system is all but worthless. 

My recommendation would be to remove CFS entirely, move credit sales to a denizen and purchase them directly from the game. Bound at say 6000/7000, and Unbound at 9000/10000 similar to how House/City creditsales already operate. An unfortunate reality on the back side of this, is that legacy gold has to be removed. It's simply not tenable to have a player with 25/30/75 million gold sitting around, when there is a hard cap to bashing and Seafaring is now going to be more regulated in the gold it can generate. Players can't compete with legacy gold, because the gold generation of the current meta is nowhere near enough to catch you up. Essentially, anything about 10/15 million gold would need to be removed, otherwise we'll just be in the same boat in 2 years.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • But that's yet another complicating factor on top of everything else. It -is- possible to rake in large sums of gold with relatively little effort or risk, it just takes activities like mining and foraging that generate high-value goods that you can trade. Those obviously don't cause issues for the economy in the same way, but they start making "too good to be true" a little bit of a moving goalpost.

Call me an idealist, but I think that if there's going to be a rule that's enforced strictly enough that it gets people banned it should really be written down clearly.
  • Keorin said:
    but they start making "too good to be true" a little bit of a moving goalpost.

No they're not at all. It's comparing two different things entirely. Seamonstering generates gold out of thin air, mining/foraging moves gold between players.

It's no different to selling credits for gold, or herbs, or anything of that nature, really. People will pay whatever they like, so in that instance there's no such thing as "too good to be true". You're not gonna be towing any sort of line if someone decides to give you 500k for 10 moss.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• When I got shrubbed the response was along the lines of: if you have found a way to consistently make more than the bashing gold cap per day, that is a good metric that you are using an exploit. I can dig up the exact wording if anyone wants it.

Ships have proven to be terrible for gold exploitation. The admin really needs to keep a closer eye on this stuff and nip it in the bud long before it gets damaging enough to warrant anyone being shrubbed.

• I understand the difference, yes. My point is that we've now, effectively, made understanding that difference a part of the rules you have to understand to know when something may meet a nebulous "too good to be true" standard. I just don't see why it's too much to ask to just write the damned thing down.

• The change to one monster spawning per zone every fifteen minutes is a pretty hefty change from previously, and makes seamonster hunting barely (if at all) worth the time, effort, and expense, especially for a group of ships.

Once you've had a chance to review the numbers a bit more thoroughly, what are the chances spawning will be adjusted again, back in the direction of what it was before?

• Zbaco said:
    I'm mad I can't make millions of gold per day anymore, and the only thing that brings me joy in this game is knowing I can dupe other players by making way more money than I'm supposed to.

Once you've had the chance to review the numbers a bit more thoroughly, what are the chances you'll change it back so we can continue abusing this and laughing at all the silly poor people?

ftfy

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• edited July 2020

Already addresses by Sobby and Makky

• Atalkez said:
    Dude they just posted the fix, I'm sure they're still working on other stuff. Man, ya'll freak out so fast.
    Almost as fast as you change allegiances, amirite?

(FTR: Idgaf and don't know you IG..just for a laugh because of the forum shittalk about your change)

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited July 2020
    Caelan said:
    Minifie said:
    People were generating up to 10 million gold in the span of a few hours and no punishments got handed out? Wonder if they'll roll back the gold earned then.
    Especially w the gold auction going on..
    That figure seems to have been completely exaggerated. From what I've heard, the people that profited the most from it got a message stating the administration didn't think any bugs or mechanics had been exploited, so weren't handing out any admin punishments, but because it still generated a lot of income they took that from those people in the form of unbound credits. 

The example of the message I was shown indicated the individual earned about 3 mil over what the administration deemed reasonable between July 1 and July 15, so they extracted over 200 unbound credits as a recovery measure.

The statement that this was resulting in gold being "very easily generate upwards of ten million gold in the span of a couple hours (and did so on a near-daily basis)" either indicates it was intentionally being blown out of proportion to rile people up or the administration is really out of touch with their mechanics. Otherwise, if it were true, you can bet people would have been shrubbed as well as probably had their ships deleted (like happened with the last big seafaring scandal).

• I really doubt they would lie about that in an announce post.

It is far more likely that you haven't spoken to everyone who took part, or even that people are lying so they don't get shunned like people who previously abused seafaring bugs to generate gold.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    That is entirely possible. The only reference point I have is the night I went out which I detailed previously. Multiple ships, probably 12 or more people in total. A little over 3 mil generated in the course of four hours that was divided evenly across everyone who participated. 

So if there really were people pulling 10 mil in a couple of hours on a daily basis, I'm really surprised they're not sprouting leaves already because half a month of that would put that probably close to what the last big seafaring scandal was.

• Iaxus said:

<crap>

It's a legitimate question, regardless of what you think my motives are for asking it.

• I basically got a speeding ticket, not my first one ever, but my first one in a game.
  • You should have hunted to the gold cap all those days instead....you would have had 3.5 million and been able to keep it!
  • I have thought  long about making this post. And I really having nothing to hide. Because I did not do anything wrong. In fact, the 'admins' even admit it, in their message to me. Unless, there is a vast shadowy secret group hunting seamonsters. I know everyone involved and will say, we all received similar messages with similar 'non-punishments.'

Message #191        Sent by Anytus
    2020/7/17/21:53 Greetings, after conducting a thorough investigation into gold generated by the mass
    slaying of seamonsters, something we have now addressed, we have calculated that your character 
    earned 3.2 million gold above and beyond the benchmarks we set for reasonable expectations of 
    earnings over the period of time commencing July 1st and ending July 15th. While we do not believe 
    any bugs or mechanics were specifically abused and will therefore not be administering any admin 
    punishments, these funds must nevertheless be recovered for the better of Achaea's economy. To that 
    end, we have removed 237 unbound credits from your character (Gribbit), which equates to the same 
    amount of gold spent on market purchases throughout this period. Thank you for your understanding.

As pointed out in the message above, I did not do anything wrong. But they have decided to take a rather large amount of my credits. I did not think this level of vindictiveness existed in a mud company outside of  AVALON. I really  enjoy Achaea and have had great fun participating in the community. I had no idea this was too much money being generated as being a relatively new player. Yes, I whaled and bought a gally. But I had faith that IRE was good and it's mud was relatively drama free at the admin level. It is not up to me to police the economy outside of reporting bugs. And I did not think that this method of seamonstering was a bug. Instead, I feel they basically stole  a substantial portion of the time spent playing their game. With only a 'Trust us, it is fair' And a post either intended or unintended to start a witch hunt.  Well, you have tarnished that trust. It is not fair, by any metric. 

Can I invoice IRE for 80 dollars? Because I feel like my time playing it did not reach expectations? Because that is basically what happened to me. I got invoiced 80 bucks. Because I did not have the knowledge to see something that appeared mechanically sound was not. Perhaps implement a new ingame warning that goes off if a player makes too much gold?

I tried to get a dialogue about this going with the admins and instead I got.

Message #194        Sent by Anytus
    2020/7/17/22:00 Hi there! We took great care in investigating this and none of the credits removed
    from your character were from OOC purchases, all were accounted for by CFS purchases for gold.

Some food for thought, if this amount of gold unbalances the economy. Why were only my credits from my character taken? Why did they not cycle the gold out of the economy and return the credits purchased to the player?

• "3.3m above and beyond". Meaning they still get to keep around the bashing cap per day, which still very few people even bother reaching. So they're still coming out way above if they had not abused the system played like 95% of the players that didn't go "above and beyond the benchmarks". I'm frankly rather disappointed that that's all that happened.

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• Gribbit said:

2020/7/17/22:00 Hi there! We took great care in investigating this and none of the credits removed
    from your character were from OOC purchases, all were accounted for by CFS purchases for gold.

Some food for thought, if this amount of gold unbalances the economy. Why were only my credits from my character taken? Why did they not cycle the gold out of the economy and return the credits purchased to the player?

Who says they didn't return the credits to the person you bought them from/remove their gold? They're not going to tell you that, because it's none of your business.

• Iaxus said:
    "3.3m above and beyond". Meaning they still get to keep around the bashing cap per day, which still very few people even bother reaching. So they're still coming out way above if they had not abused the system played like 95% of the players that didn't go "above and beyond the benchmarks". I'm frankly rather disappointed that that's all that happened.
    It is a pretty boring not-a-crime
  • Saonji said:
    Gribbit said:

Who says they didn't return the credits to the person you bought them from/remove their gold? They're not going to tell you that, because it's none of your business.

Who says I do not know who's credits I bought!
  • The way that message is worded does not say that it was 3.2 million in total, but rather 3.2 million more than what a person could generate reasonably in that time period. Given that it's also probably generating adventuring credits, I can definitely see the argument on the admin side for removing some of the gold from the economy.

It sucks that it feels like you're being singled out, and in a way, you are, but there's almost no way to generate about 300 unbound credits in two weeks via any other means, and while that certainly can be hard to see if you're new, I assume there are older players involved in doing this that might have felt that something was out of whack if they stopped to think about it for a second.

Sure, one or two people can make that kind of cash, bashing the island/treacherous planes/tree loops, but only one person at a time can pick up that money. 
  • edited July 2020
    Just make seamonstering / questing gold contribute to the daily gold cap lol. It can apply evenly to everyone on the ship that gets the killing blow. :)