Dungeons and Dragons

Comments

• For people playing with me: d20srd.org

Read the basics section, and the combat section. Might want to familiarize yourself with the magic overview if you're planning to play a magic class. Feel free to peruse anything else; those two I mentioned first are the only things you NEED to know.
  • I haven't played D&D since I was like 10 and it was all paper and dice!

Online intrigues me, I must have some of this in my life.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Friztic said:
    Pathfinder > 3.5, like, in every way, especially stealth.
    pathfinder makes good changes, but takes away too much of the good 3.5 system for me to particularly like it. The fun part of 3.5 got to be just how many tools you had to build a character, imo. I mean, all pathfinder really does is combine a couple of skills and combine trip and grapple mechanically (which are nice changes, but not huge). A lot of the rebalancing it does for the core classes is really good, but classes like the sorcerer and wizard are only nerfed by losing access to a lot of their good spells from other 3.5 books.

Basically, I'd like pathfinder if it didn't just straight remove a ton of the really cool things that 3.5 had by the end of its run without coming close to making up for them.

• Nakari said:
    Friztic said:
    Pathfinder > 3.5, like, in every way, especially stealth.
    good                                                                3.5 system

:-/

• Still need someone to join us Thursdays!
  • Woah, what's going on here? Too lazy to go back and read the thread. If there's an Achaean game of D&D going on, count me in! Anyone here using Roll20.net?

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    I kinda miss D&D... Haven't played in yeaaaars. Time to relearn.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    i could do with 3ish more people if anyone else wants to join :) 4e

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    2 moree??

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Sorcerers and wizards are way more powerful in pathfinder. Because of the changes to the base classes, there is a reason to stay a purist instead of prestige class hopping, and since most if not all prestige classes are updated or easily converted, then all of that old stuff is there too. As far as losing spells, I don't understand why, because 95% of 3.5 is compatible with Pathfinder, and the other 5% is easy to convert.

In fact, I'm not getting where Pathfinder straight removed anything, it just either made things simpler or better. That includes changing stealth and perception from micromanaging four things to managing two things that cover all those areas, which is a godsend for a GM and nicer to the player (instead of having to beat two rolls, you can just win on the first roll and be done with it). So yeah, I'm not seeing your logic.
  • I'm reaaaally not going to get into this. I'm perfectly okay with agreeing to disagree. If you're happy with one or the other, more power to you :)
  • No one is wrong, it's just all about preference!  I'm not gonna yell at the blasphemers who prefer coke over pepsi, after all :)
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Next Thursday can't come fast enough!

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• No one is wrong, it's just all about preference!  I'm not gonna yell at the blasphemers who prefer coke over pepsi, after all :)

Except the people who prefer 3.5. They're wrong.

• Shirszae said:
    Next Thursday can't come fast enough!
    Cling to this feeling. When y'all start getting stomped, remember how much you looked forward to it, so you don't take it out on me.
  • I fear my gnome mage will get stomped in his first encounter with monsters.
    Rangor said:
    I fear my gnome mage will get stomped in his first encounter with monsters.
    I'll be cheering on you from the sidelines!

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    I seriously need to read up on D&D again. I need to play. you bastards, bringing back one of my old ass loves.
  • Just keep your little guy waaaaay away from the frontlines.  We have melee dudes for that!
  • Friztic said:
    Sorcerers and wizards are way more powerful in pathfinder. Because of the changes to the base classes, there is a reason to stay a purist instead of prestige class hopping, and since most if not all prestige classes are updated or easily converted, then all of that old stuff is there too. As far as losing spells, I don't understand why, because 95% of 3.5 is compatible with Pathfinder, and the other 5% is easy to convert. In fact, I'm not getting where Pathfinder straight removed anything, it just either made things simpler or better. That includes changing stealth and perception from micromanaging four things to managing two things that cover all those areas, which is a godsend for a GM and nicer to the player (instead of having to beat two rolls, you can just win on the first roll and be done with it). So yeah, I'm not seeing your logic.
    I was assuming a scenario where you just stick with pathfinder, to be fair. I mean, sure, you can transfer over 3.5 stuff, but it makes the comparison hard because the 3.5 material will quickly swamp pathfinder and I'm not sure if I'd really call that pathfinder anymore.

If you transfer in all 3.5 stuff, the only points of comparison are really that they changed a couple of skills and how trip, bull rush, and grapple work. None of the changes to the classes really alter the balance of builds with 3.5 spells, monsters, and prc's in play, so at that point they're basically the same game. (the rules changes are nice, yes, I'm not going to dispute that, but they're not particularly significant)

• @Anedhel @Daslin

Get me in on this? I am a D&D newb when it comes to online.

But I want to play, definitely.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • We had character creation on Thursday, and we're planning to start playing next Thursday. There's 5 of us, which is a full group, but if Anedhel is willing to push it up to 6, I'm sure either Anedhel or I would be willing to set aside some time to help you make a character before next Thursday.

So yeah, really just up to Anedhel on whether he wants to push our group size from 5 to 6.

• @Anedhel

Make it happen bro!

I love you long time and I'm not even asian!

Promise.

• edited December 2013
    SNEAK PREVIEW:

I was bitten by a snake.  Twice.  I now have a -4 to my strength score, and I'm a Monk with sub-par strength already. :|

This is after I get a bloody JPK on a gnoll and knock it the hell out, even!
  • I love D&D and I sure miss it. I played in two campaigns weekly when I lived in Denver. Ever since leaving ...I have no pals in the area to play with and am a bit petrified to play with strangers.
    The monk in one of the campaigns blew my mind every damn session.
    He would be running 20 paces around the entire map while snickering at all of us then continue on "I'm going to <insert move here> which prones these three guys and then I'm going to use my free move to <insert killing blow X2 here> which allows me to slide across the entire dungeon somehow here to pop this guy with <another minor damage move> that stuns for the next round." . . . Next thing you know 20 minions are dead and the main boss has 1 hp  *headshakeinconfusionanddisbelief* What?!? Give me your sheet you can't do that! But he always COULD!
    Yeah that was a gross and vague exaggeration, but it's where OP Monks really got their start >_>

Hahah this was so nice. I had quite a nice time laughing at things and trying not to get killed and glaring at people who spend too much time breaking doors  :D

• It was a tough door, OK? I'm only level 1. 

• Screw that snake and screw that boss gnoll :|

And thank god that our ranger got that lucky shot ^:)^
  • I learned a few things today! First: Rangor's badass IRL too. Dude ain't afraid of nothin'

Second: If I really want something to happen, I can't leave it to chance. Good Lord you people get some shit rolls.

Third: That Aegoth dude... I dunno man. That was some real questionable stuff. o_o