Dungeons and Dragons

General DnD discussion thread for those brave enough to openly admit to playing. I'll start by saying that I only recently started playing 3.5, and after a few rounds getting to know the rules and getting a feel for the freedom and creativity the game allows, it's everything I hoped it would be. Even with getting my butt handed to me every battle on my newest character, currently a level two wizard, the fun I have RPing with my friends more then makes up for it.

Comments

• Just recently starting DMing a game.  First game ever for all of us, using 3.5.  Let's hope I don't fail entirely!
  • I dmed my first time for part of a night not too long ago myself, it actually came a lot more natually then I thought, there was no combat mind you, but it seemed like the players definitely had fun! Although I think it'd be rather difficult to have a boring drinking contest in a Dwarven tavern!

• KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited December 2012
    I would like to play, but don't have enough people, especially as both of us have no real clue where to start. I do have a thing for table top board or card games, etc, that work well with two people. :)

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Katzchen said:
    I would like to play, but don't have enough people, especially as both of us have no real clue where to start. I do have a thing for table top board or card games, etc, that work well with two people. :)
    Seeing as I live forty five minutes away from most of the other people I play with,I've always wanted to figure out an way to plan online, a virtual table top, simple messaging, or a chat of some sort. Maybe if enough interest is peaked we could start an Achaean campaign!

• My only experience with DnD is 4chan's /tg/ board, reading splatbooks and Order of the Stick.

• edited December 2012
    I dabble in tabletop games, but I never really got so far as host a real game. I made a simple system using a d20 and a d6 for some adventures I did on a road trip, but nothing much than that.

That said, if anybody wants to include newbies like us into a game and show us the ropes, feel free to organize - I'd gladly sign up. :D

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • Yes, if anyone can work how to do it online, I'd be in. :)

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• I use this: 

http://roll20.net/

It's free, easy to use, and pretty intuitive!
  • I'd certainly be willing and able to dm a game for Achaeans, the only trouble is figuring out the best way to do it. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please feel free to post them here.

• >_> I started with 4.0 since it was what my group was playing at the time. Only played 3.5 once and the halfling rogue tried to kill me because I was the only other player left standing in a near TPK. 

Also have experience with nWoD, one of the Star Wars RPG, Space Marine and Dark Heresy and some indie titles like Fiasco.
  • I recently managed to find a group of friends to play 3.5 with again. The only problem is that it is almost all new players, and I have infinitely more practice with character optimization then I do with playing. This has given our poor first-time dm some trouble when I turn the fighter into an enlarged great sword wielding dwarf with three attacks at first level. It's a little silly.

• I've only ever played DDO (I do love it), even though I have some of the books. I should find them, I've always wanted to play, even bought a bunch of the dice...
  • Dark cleric crossclassed with monk is most OP class in the world. hand to hand attacks mixed with inflict heavy wounds, oversized scythe, blah blah stupid OP, also control undead.

Besides that, I started playing pathfinder since It's difficult to get my hands on 3.5 books, especially when deployments roll around. I'll play with you lot if someone wants to DM.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Babel said:
    Oh, believe me, if you ever want to know what it's like being a volunteer God on Achaea, try being a dungeon master sometime. It's a nearly identical experience in many ways, and can make good practice. I've played a few games and run a few games; my favorite class remains 3.5e Cleric for its sheer overpowered glory. Obliterating an entire session's climactic undead battle with a single Greater Turn Undead has to be a high point.

• edited December 2012
    I used to DM for my friends all the time, ran the coolest campaigns in the uniiiiiverse.

The last one before they all left for the UK (bastards) ended with the party barbarian rage-bullrushing the antagonist off a cliff to be killed by a dragonturtle in an extremely convoluted turn of events. He survived with 1 health and got a heal before rage ended, and they all lived happily ever after.

(also I can't remember how exactly, but I managed to get a +40 hide as a level five ranger and spent half a campaign invisible.)
  • We should have a thread for tabletop RP stories. :P
  • Why not use this thread?

• I tried using roll20 a while ago, but just can't get used to it. It's more intuitive than anything I had hoped for, but still hasn't compared to playing face-to-face at a level I'd be willing to invest in.

I dunno, maybe I need to give it more time to get used to it.
  • I DM'ed a load of Mistborn RPGs. They were so fun.

I recall one time, the two protagonists - Antiheros in the truest sense - stormed a noble keep and confronted the head of the house, and old man. They argued for a while before realizing that they hadn't done their homework and their 'evidence' was, in fact, little more than supposition. One of them was a Mistborn, and he'd left both his Copper and his Bronze turned off.

Which is a bad idea when the heir to this particular House is also a Mistborn, has ready access to Atium and is hanging from the rafters directly above your head. 

That boy was like a one-man Naga gank squad.
  • Oh, I fully agree that in person would be several thousand times better than Roll20, but I my group is utterly seperated by about 300 miles at a bare minimum.

So, we had to figure out a way to play, and that was brought up.  And I got "volunteered" to be the DM since it was my idea anyway.

I'll post stories as we go!
  • Always wanted to play. Never found IRL friends geeky enough to want to try it with me. :( (I've always felt like there was something missing in my geek cred for not having ever played.) My closest experience with D&D has been the various video games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, NWN, etc.) and a bored afternoon perusing the Forgotten Realms wiki.

I don't know if I've really got the time at the moment (I'm barely able to sign on to Achaea or Minecraft right now thanks to a very hungry baby!), but would definitely be interested in any sort of online group once I do. :)

@Chryenth Am slightly jealous - a Mistborn RPG would be awesome!

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• I've been playing a game of Pathfinder (otherwise known as 3.75) for 3 years now, and I have my one and only legit 20th level character to show for it. 20th level fighters are just so, so awesome.

Otherwise I've played and ran many TT games over the years, my favorite for both being Shadowrun.
  • Been playing 3.5 for ~8 or so years now, shortly before I started playing Achaea. 

Funny that @Babel mentioned greater turn undead, because I totally did that about a month ago with my Sun domain cleric. Intense boss fight against a high level vampire? I think not!

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• Babel said:

Oh, believe me, if you ever want to know what it's like being a volunteer God on Achaea, try being a dungeon master sometime. It's a nearly identical experience in many ways, and can make good practice. I've played a few games and run a few games; my favorite class remains 3.5e Cleric for its sheer overpowered glory. Obliterating an entire session's climactic undead battle with a single Greater Turn Undead has to be a high point.

Similar high point: playing an archer ranger against a vampire meant to be recurring, called a shot against it's heart. Crit. DM didn't allow instant kill, but when I drew a warhammer and threw a called shot on hammering the wooden shaft further into it's heart, critting AGAIN, he let it fly. He awarded a full level for the encounter, as we were meant to be totally outgunned and won
  • I'm in a Pathfinder campaign IRL.

My DM's openly admitted he's turned down perfectly reasonable ideas I've suggested for fear of what I'll do with them.

I've short-circuited the plot three times now with DC50 knowledge checks (at level 5/6), and we've gone five sessions without spending more than five rounds in combat. I know more about an alien race descended from madness than the race themselves know.

Wizard3/Priest3, going into Mystic Theurge. (Priest was a hell of a find - extra skill points, better channelling, an extra domain, at the cost of armour (which I can't use) and combat ability (which I don't use). :D
  • @Dorn Try Cloistered Cleric, I think it's in Umearthed Arcana. Definitely on d20srd.org. Sounds like what you just described Priest to be.

Same campaign as above, we were cornered by a vrock in a tower, and totally screwed. One of our fighty types was dead already, and the other and the mage were about to be. It was looking like my ranger/rogue would be the only survivor (I've never, ever lost a DnD character over dozens of campaigns,) when the DM let our cleric, who was RPing praying fervently, summon an avoral. No summoning prepared, and an avoral was well beyond our level, but he decided that, in exchange for a full level of XP and the cleric being comatose for an in-game week, his god would take a personal interest. The avoral and vrock ripped one another apart while we escaped with our fighter's body. Definitely a Rule of Cool DM

@Babel can't picture you playing anything other than a cleric of St. Cuthbert now. How my mind works
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited December 2012
    I used to do D&D 4e. Have the books and everything. It's with my friends though. No particular preference in wha I play, but I find I enjoy being a rogue. Think I have some online character sheets.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=74870

"Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• @Jhaeli It is, it really is. Although one of my regular players won't stop going on about how he blew up a boat with a Steelpush. Nearly killing one of the other players with 250mph shrapnel and blowing away all his Tin. But hey, the boat exploded.