While driving back from the gym today and thinking of the artefact auctions and escrow, an idea struck me: wouldn't it be pretty rad if there was an artefact layaway system in place?
And I'm sure the first statement you're thinking of is, "Xias. That's dumb. Just save your credits like every other responsible person." And I get it, you're right. But humor me.
What if there was a layaway system in place that allowed players to pay little bits of an artefact off at a time? For impulse spenders like myself who might turn paltry sums of credits into quick lessons or what not, this would allow for people to slowly chip away at something they want without falling into temptation of spending the credits on a whim. It's almost like a self-imposed goal system!
How could it work?
- A player visits any vendor with items purchasable by credits only.
- After viewing wares and seeing what item they'd like to put on layaway, they input the relevant layaway commands such as LAWAWAY ADD <Artefact ID> <Deposit Amount>.
- In the command, there will be a spot where the player must commit a 10% deposit of the cost of the artefact. They may submit more than the deposit but 10% would be a minimum.
- The item will be removed from stock and placed in a players Layaway queue accessed by LAYAWAY SHOW.
- As a player gains credits, they can utilize a command like LAYAWAY PAY <Credit Amount> which instantly whisks their credits away and lowers their balance. I'm sure for both payment and initial deposit, there will be a CONFIRM prompt as well, just to verify their actions.
- When the final credit is paid off, the new shiny item is delivered in a package by Merentesh or however admins would like the item to be delivered.
- Should there be a cancellation, credits are returned to the player minus the 10% deposit as a "holding fee".
It could be built so you can only have one layaway active at a time (after all, isn't the point in saving?) but it could be expanded to a greater limit I wager if the need arose.
Over all, it would benefit not only the impulse spenders to save up for bigger items they want at their convenience (like myself with Wings) but it can also help novices save their bound credits as they progress, possibly even after being led to Delos prior to learn about artefacts. It would be a perfect time to pitch the layaway system in such instances!
Just random musings in my mind