Artefact Layaways

While driving back from the gym today and thinking of the artefact auctions and escrow, an idea struck me: wouldn't it be pretty rad if there was an artefact layaway system in place?

And I'm sure the first statement you're thinking of is, "Xias. That's dumb. Just save your credits like every other responsible person." And I get it, you're right. But humor me.

What if there was a layaway system in place that allowed players to pay little bits of an artefact off at a time? For impulse spenders like myself who might turn paltry sums of credits into quick lessons or what not, this would allow for people to slowly chip away at something they want without falling into temptation of spending the credits on a whim. It's almost like a self-imposed goal system!

How could it work?

1. A player visits any vendor with items purchasable by credits only.
  2. After viewing wares and seeing what item they'd like to put on layaway, they input the relevant layaway commands such as LAWAWAY ADD <Artefact ID> <Deposit Amount>.
  3. In the command, there will be a spot where the player must commit a 10% deposit of the cost of the artefact. They may submit more than the deposit but 10% would be a minimum.
  4. The item will be removed from stock and placed in a players Layaway queue accessed by LAYAWAY SHOW.
  5. As a player gains credits, they can utilize a command like LAYAWAY PAY <Credit Amount> which instantly whisks their credits away and lowers their balance. I'm sure for both payment and initial deposit, there will be a CONFIRM prompt as well, just to verify their actions.
  6. When the final credit is paid off, the new shiny item is delivered in a package by Merentesh or however admins would like the item to be delivered.
  7. Should there be a cancellation, credits are returned to the player minus the 10% deposit as a "holding fee".

It could be built so you can only have one layaway active at a time (after all, isn't the point in saving?) but it could be expanded to a greater limit I wager if the need arose.

Over all, it would benefit not only the impulse spenders to save up for bigger items they want at their convenience (like myself with Wings) but it can also help novices save their bound credits as they progress, possibly even after being led to Delos prior to learn about artefacts. It would be a perfect time to pitch the layaway system in such instances!

Just random musings in my mind  :)

Comments

• Support. Will be useful service and yes is a good goal system. 
  • This would be awesome.
  • edited January 2018
    I'm just not be the type of player who would use this system at all. I personally like to keep mine as a growing pool because you never know what promotion may sprawl out and turn profits. That being said, if this is a style of system that a pool of the playerbase feels would help them better hold to their goals, I'd support it.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    I don't believe this would be worth the resources to implement with the amount of realistic use it would see. A 10% surcharge on changing your mind, when it comes to something you've never even held, is insane and most certainly something I would opt out of.  Maybe my self control is better than most though. 

• I'm just not be the type of player who would use this system at all. I personally like to keep mine as a growing pool because you never know what promotion may sprawl out and turn profits. That being said, if this is a style of system that a pool of the playerbase feels would help them better hold to their goals, I'd support it.

That came to my mind also when looking at pros and cons. I think the beauty behind it is you can pay at your own pace and little by little, which means if a promotion does happen to crop up, you can put what available credits you have towards that versus funneling it into the layaway.

I appreciate the support all the same!
  • Isn't this more or less how elite credits work, except you can use them for other things than artefacts (lessons, for example)?
  • I actually wouldn’t mind the ability to SAVE x CREDITS, which puts those bound credits away and can only be seen with CREDITS SAVINGS from banks. Out of sight, out of mind works for some people :).
  • I would loveeee this.  As someone who impulsively spends credits, this would be bomb.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Impulses are overrated. 
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Kyrra said:
    Impulses are overrated. 
    Is that your considered opinion? :D

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited January 2018
    It's purely an idea of convenience. I knew while thinking about it that it most likely wouldn't be used by everyone.

It's kind of like the resolutions system--just a fun way to hammer out a goal you normally otherwise wouldn't do. Not everyone actually partakes in said system but it is cool that it's offered.

In the artefact package thread, @Tesha mentioned how daunting it could be for a new player to join the game and see how expensive some items can be. And while zero artefacts are required to play the game, it certainly makes it much more enjoyable. She mentioned that the system rewards larger purchases; no one buys 100cr at a time and feels fulfilled.

However the layaway system changes that. You can put that veil you had your eye on in layaway and chip away at the cost. Can you only afford a hundred credits a month? Perfect. Each month is a step towards your goal. That small 200 credit purchase now holds as much value as a large purchase.

Iron Elite does in fact have a similar function and a cheaper cost, but I wager some people might not want to sub and prefer an ala carte method of purchase.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Since this might not happen, Kogan and I have a clan we share and we have help files in it for different things we're working on and one of the scrolls has a list of goals we're working on that tracks gold and credits for a specific goal we're working on completing right now. It's not as streamlined and fancy as what you're looking for but it does the job and keeps us on track. If you want other people in it (which we do have) you can even set permissions so only you can see it or certain ranks can also view it, so only he and I can see it but not our friends. That along with enough willpower to not go on a shopping spree can go a long way in completing your goals.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Antonius said:
    I don't think we need to waste developer time just because some people can't control their spending long enough to save for an artefact.
    Your comment bothers me.

Who are you to decide what is and isn't a waste of devloper time? That's not for you to say, at all. It's the Administration.
  • Devran said:
    Antonius said:
    I don't think we need to waste developer time just because some people can't control their spending long enough to save for an artefact.
    Your comment bothers me.

Who are you to decide what is and isn't a waste of devloper time? That's not for you to say, at all. It's the Administration.
    I don't see the problem with having a credit layaway system. Some people have impulsive habits, as I do, and saving slowly has been an absolute task. When I've had to save for things, I delete all lines involving credits just to never know how many I've got on hand. I could write something though for people who want it I suppose, since it would benefit me as well, but people would have to check forums etc and install it, otherwise how would all players know? D:.
  • Devran said:
    Antonius said:
    Your comment bothers me.

Antonius was pretty blunt about it, but what I -think- he meant was for them to prioritize this, they would have to deprioritize something else instead. This seems like a pretty trivial QoL change that would entice a few, there are probably other QoL or overhauls that need to be done that entice a much larger base.
  • Puxi said:
    Devran said:
    Antonius said:
    Your comment bothers me.

Antonius was pretty blunt about it, but what I -think- he meant was for them to prioritize this, they would have to deprioritize something else instead. This seems like a pretty trivial QoL change that would entice a few, there are probably other QoL or overhauls that need to be done that entice a much larger base.

Sure, I totally understand the thought behind the comment. It makes sense. If one thing like this gets attention, that means something else won't. Development is always a balancing game. I assume that those who already own a good chunk of artefacts would find this service to be irrelevant or lackluster compared to higher content they could be enjoying if time was spent on that.

But I figured it's always nice to throw ideas out and see what sticks.
  • TIL I've never heard the word layaway before. I thought it was something you did inbetween flights ;)

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Sobriquet said:
    TIL I've never heard the word layaway before. I thought it was something you did inbetween flights ;)
    It's what wealthy businessmen do when they are away from their wives. 
  • Sobriquet said:
    TIL I've never heard the word layaway before. I thought it was something you did inbetween flights ;)
    Hehe, pretty much the concept has died off in retail with the exception of the holiday season due credit cards. I've only ever used layaways twice in my life: once on a Nintendo 64 back in '97 and later on a Nintendo Gamecube. See a trend?  :p
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    It’s always been ‘laybuy’ in Australia.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• credits convert <#> to bound credits / agree

Saved.

You're welcome.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Xaden said:
    credits convert <#> to bound credits / agree

Saved.

You're welcome.
    I used to credits sell x at 99...999, but that was very long ago. 
  • Antonius said:

Especially when it's in the company's best interest that they DON'T control their spending...

Sobriquet said:
    You're thinking LayOVER.  

• edited March 2018
    Since I decided to be dormant on my main for a while, I decided that since for once I had an idea of how long I'd be not playing her, I'd see if I'd have enough for a really expensive artefact available because of Iron Elite, when I did.

Edit: I will have enough, and will purchase it upon my return.

Augtavian said:
    I'd rather see arties cost less than the machine I use to play the game.
    This guy has a point. And/or possibly a 386, I dunno. (jk)