The ongoing Yggdrasil event

Comments

• Can confirm, have tried to talk to them repeatedly (when I'm around), and I know others have too.

It's just luck of the draw, and you saying the right thing to make the admin go 'ok'.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Keorin said:
    Skye said:
    I suspect most admin eventually just responded to make him stop talking. 
    Personally, this is often a fear of mine when it comes to these things. As much as I want to engage with things, I'm never sure how much denizen pestering is appreciated, or when it becomes annoying - especially if I might be barking up entirely the wrong tree

I always get nervous when I pester denizens and they don't respond after several tries. Then I have to call in someone like @Atalkez to go pester them for me so someone else can feel silly talking to seemingly inanimate objects. :(

I think a lot of people have that concern though, and that's why it ends up being the same few people who actually do everything.
  • I can confirm that in general, events stuff (or even the smaller RP interactions the divine run frequently) is not going to fall into your lap and land you in an events post.

If you don't get a reaction from says or tells, there is the option to send letters to give the admin more time to formulate a proper response (if it is necessary).

Also remember that most denizens don't like outsiders, or people they don't know. I went to talk to (random denizen) and got him to talk to me quickly, but the admin controlling him did a great job of sticking to that denizens character. He had no reason to go out of his way to answer my questions or help me, so he didn't. It was awesome.

I had several others just not respond to me too, it happens. Especially during the beginning of events, or after key activity.

• I think my favorite interaction thus far was making a deal Utata in Tomacula. In exchange for giving him the corpse of Pazuzu, we can have their five best cows.
  • Having King Avathar'an tell me that my speaking Tsoldasi made him as ill as if he drank snake oil (or something idk) was amazing
  • The Yggdrasil proceedings are making me try to hunt and get more levels so I can wander around the etheric pathways. It's a little hard to meaningfully participate in some quests or go up to explore the higher tiers without getting my health chunked down really fast. 
  • Kiet said:
    I can guarantee you that Dunn and other people like him have tried talking to npc's and not gotten a response more times than most people have even tried total. The idea that the people in the event post just waltz into any room and all the npc's start talking to them isn't based in reality. There's a finite amount of attention admins can put into things, and they have other jobs like coding or planning/logistics to do, too. Sometimes it's a bad time, and you have to try later!

Krypton calling Delph an 'obsession' was true--you need persistence for these things, and Delphinus had an obsessive persistence!
    Agreed.

The one events post I'm listed in the NPC in question approached me in a tell while I was hunting, I nearly missed it! 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Ismay said:
    These events would be much better, and be much easier on the admin, if they would create a way for regular players to help rp. Some sort of rp only positions that players could help with while still maintaining their characters would be ideal. They could be used for all kind of things from building rooms/areas to taking on some of the more creative writing to rping through npcs. Orgs left high and dry cause they have no active god to help with events? That could be a thing of the past!

This alone would free up so much time for the admin work on content and such.

I would mention that the Mortal Builder program (HELP MORTALBUILDERS) exists to fulfil at least one of those things that you mentioned in your post. While we aren't currently *actively* seeking new building volunteers, anyone can send an application to builders@achaea.com for me to look at and if we receive strong applicants, we'll likely accept them into the program even if we aren't actively in a "recruitment round". 

I'm not sure if you were / weren't aware of the MB program before but it does exist (and mortal builders have been indispensable to the entire Yggdrasil project). 
    "If you build it, they will come."
  • Skye said:
    As someone who was a contemporary of Delphinus, I can tell you the amount of time he spent talking to denizens was frankly alarming. He would like, go from denizen to denizen repeatedly making one-sided conversation with them with a kind of energy and determination that most people would struggle to muster IRL without use of chemical enhancements.

Most of us, myself included, would give up after like sending three or four says at a denizen. I can barely keep up a conversation RL, I sure as hell am not going to try on a text denizen that's not even responding.

edit: I feel like I have to add, if this doesn't convey his level of obsession, he was also known to badger denizens about things when there was no event. Like, he would just ask them stuff. This was an era when a lot more admin were around to sit by the phone and chew the fat, I guess, but he was known to do just that. That's something that's pretty unheard of at this point.

I admit, I cracked up at this. Wonderfully worded.

Usually I stick to a mob for several days...before I get the 'hint' that the Admin simply do not wish to pursue the idea I have. I would usually go with some RP based excuse as to why. Talking to Han-silnar? Nope he doesnt seem to care about our plight. Sending letters to Melkor? Likely burned them in the fireplace. Asked a certain royal about a servant? Likely far too beneath them to notice. Suggested to X or Y to find a way to access Z? Not interested in the gold. Asked Beckett or Pa'lau about certain plans on the side that Hashan could pursue? Well...they're busy, etc etc. Admittedly it would help a lot more if we had an active patron, so I cant really blame the last one.

Originally, the only interaction that had any effect for me was Han-Tolneth, who, rather graciously, told me he didnt know why Dekalb summoned the conduits, didnt know where Melkor was, didnt know why this was happening and lastly refused to get involved to find Melkor or fix the situation.

When we in Hashan finally decided to give in and help with the emissary avenue, I was glad to get an interaction with the Fire Emissary...with an interesting twist on that side.

You take what you can.
  • It's worth noting that Han-Silnar hates all things, and only speaks/moves when Lorielan forces him to. He does nothing willingly and has no fondness for any living being. He may be the least talkative creature in history.
  • Nicola said:
    It's worth noting that Han-Silnar hates all things, and only speaks/moves when Lorielan forces him to. He does nothing willingly and has no fondness for any living being. He may be the least talkative creature in history.

I suspected as much. I began to wonder if I'd have better luck with that odd Nymph....
  • The human Yudhishthira says, "I do not."

The human Yudhishthira says, "Leave."

Was a bit back but Yudhi rude af

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Love a man that’s easy on the eyes and blunt as a warhammer. Yudhi so dreamy.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Nicola said:
    It's worth noting that Han-Silnar hates all things, and only speaks/moves when Lorielan forces him to. He does nothing willingly and has no fondness for any living being. He may be the least talkative creature in history.
    Sounds like SOMEone needs some Cyrenian cuddles, food, something hot to drink, and a Logosmas scarf. We'll set up a nice wood fire, shoot fireworks at night and tell great stories about the good stuff he did. And then, when the poor thing is all tuckered out, we'll tuck him in and hang a stocking over his makeshift bed.

:smile:

• Keorin said:
    Skye said:
    Personally, this is often a fear of mine when it comes to these things. As much as I want to engage with things, I'm never sure how much denizen pestering is appreciated, or when it becomes annoying - especially if I might be barking up entirely the wrong tree

This is exactly my problem, I always feel like a burden with my silly issues, and in ability to design something on the first try.  The last thing I want to do is pester a denizen with a stupid idea.  So I just pass them off to the Regents and hope any of my ideas turn into something of value, even if others benefit from it.

For this particular event I had a good start but then insane reasons and illness kept me out of the realms for a while.  Thankfully in the last week or so Hashan has been really good at making sure the information is available so that the time I do have can be constructive.  

• I am enjoying the new fish, especially because it seems that certain ones are drastically more rare than other types. It makes me very excited when I see them on my line!
  • very delayed response since I made my earlier post and then went to bed.
    I'm very aware of how much time Dunn has spent at this event. mostly because he never misses the opportunity to tell me how much time he's spent working on this event. Nor do I really have a horse in the race since right now I get maybe an hour and a half to play at odd hours around work. on top of which ICly it makes way more sense for them to talk to Dunn over me. I'm a nobody Ashtani, Dunn is the Warlord and there's a large enough subset of Ashtan that if he says jump, they make like a frog. (I.E. from their perspective he's way more useful). But if you think some of the people complaining just tried to talk to an NPC once and then gave up, you're also being delusional.

Dunn tells you, "I hate you."
    (Party): You say, "Bad plan coming right up."
  • I'm not sure what you want me to say. Sometimes, you don't get lucky. I doubt the admin are ignoring people who aren't in some nebulous cool kids club of leadership, because I'm fairly certain young characters have gotten interactions plenty of times.

• CyrCyr
    edited December 2017
    There isn't really anything to say tbh. Admin can't pay attention 100% of the time, but it's not going to stop being from being pissed that when they tried basically the same thing at some point, nothing happened. It's just the nature of these events some times.
    E: that was really my initial point more than anything, but I'm probably communicating it badly.

Dunn tells you, "I hate you."
    (Party): You say, "Bad plan coming right up."
  • Cyr said:
    There isn't really anything to say tbh. Admin can't pay attention 100% of the time, but it's not going to stop being from being pissed that when they tried basically the same thing at some point, nothing happened. It's just the nature of these events some times.
    E: that was really my initial point more than anything, but I'm probably communicating it badly.

I'm personally expecting a restraining order from some mobs any day now....
  • A sound akin to a wave crashing upon a cliff explodes from the fortress upon Mhaldor Isle, a column
    of cerise water encircled by willowing tentacles of crimson mist climbs into the firmament.

The oceanic fury of the Sea Sorceress dims, shuddering beneath the weight of the Malevolent One's
    infernal Will.

The waters of Sapience churn and froth, visceral tides rising as the crimson miasma seeps forth from
    the City of Evil and into the waves.

The screams of the Leviathan resound across the waters as infernal monstrosities rise from the
    depths of the blood sea.

Asahana, Emissary of Sllshya shouts, "You dare? YOU DARE?!"

A howl of utter fury and absolute rage echoes from the ruined Embassy of Water, resounding down the
    lengths of the World Tree to shudder across the Prime Material.

Asahana, Emissary of Sllshya shouts, "Sllshya! Fluid One! Grant your servant the means of
    retribution upon these traitorous Primes! They show no faith nor care for your mighty realm!"

Asahana, Emissary of Sllshya shouts, "Let them wallow upon blighted desert, be caged within eternal
    ice, for their unending sacrilege!"

Asahana, Emissary of Sllshya shouts, "Grant me the strength of the unwavering tides!"

A distant, echoing roar begins to build, white-tipped waves cascading upon the surface of Sapience's
    shores with relentless, pounding fury.

Your senses dim briefly as water bubbles up from within your lungs, the Emissary of Water flowing
    forth from the embassy with the inevitability of an oncoming tsunami as it charges down Yggdrasil 
    towards the Prime Material Plane, scattering rats and travelers alike in its rushing wake.

Asahana, Emissary of Sllshya shouts, "You have dared to strike beyond your pathetic reach, Primes.
    You are faithless, accursed."

Growing to immeasurable heights and raising a gauntleted fist, Asahana, Emissary of Water, slams its
    strike home upon Baelgrim's amphora, roaring tides warring with the crimson glow of the demonic core.

Oceans, seas, and rivers froth and churn, boiling as an immeasurable pressure descends.

The blood freezes in your veins, bodily fluids rebelling as for the briefest of moments you sense an
    immense, ever-flowing presence. So vast that it defies understanding and even mere motes of 
    comprehension, your mind shudders back from the immensity of its briefest touch even as images of 
    countless worlds dance through your mind, all water flowing across their expanse.

With a crack that echoes across all waves of every ocean, the crimson amphora shatters beneath the
    unending erosion of the Fluid One, the Emissary reaching in to draw forth a corrupted sphere.

Asahana, Emissary of Sllshya shouts, "This is what you sought, landlings? You dare this sacrilege,
    to bind us as we will never be bound again?"

Asahana, Emissary of Sllshya shouts, "You disgust us, Primes."

Asahana, Emissary of Sllshya shouts, "You have tainted Water's presence upon your world, wrought
    grievous harm to all that is Sllshya. For this you will suffer."

Asahana, Emissary of Sllshya shouts, "Your punishment shall be as eternal as the tides, your status
    lower than even the mewling sparks of Fire. You will never be forgiven your treachery to Water."

Asahana, Emissary of Sllshya shouts, "Rest, anchor. The Fluid One bestows upon me all power of
    judgement, and of reunion, in the face of this blackened evil. Be reunited with Eternal Sllshya."

An echo of elation rings across Sapience, the blood tides receding as Elemental Water bonds once
    more to the Sorceress of the Seas.

You take an instinctive step backwards as the image of Asahana, Emissary of Water, appears within
    your sight.

Asahana, Emissary of Sllshya shouts, "This will be remembered, traitorous ones."

The waters still as the Emissary of Water fades from view, the World Tree awash in its wake.

The faintest hints of crimson smoke begin to seep from within Baelgrim's cracked amphora, the core
    at its centre glowing with sickly malice.

---

For those of you in EU or working that missed it.
  • but linear
  • edited December 2017

They corrupted Elemental Water with the might of Evil, expanding their Master's foothold upon the Prime Material for the >first time in the modern age.

:blush: I love my text city and how creative the players are. This was entirely player-driven (with admin/patron help, obv), and a player idea. Even our noobs got to participate and I loved it.
  • edited December 2017
    Kiet said:
    but linear

Sigh...you really need to let that go. It was a quote directly from one of the producers that said that events like this with a lot of releases...tend to be linear...no one pulled it out of some hat and tossed it around. I'm not sure who you're trying to insult...since it literally came from them.

Yes, Mhaldor is thankful to get attention from an active patron and received this little tidbit, as was expressed by several now, not everyone has such favor, and as expressed by several, it isnt as if we have not been trying.

You can at least respect that much.
  • Rena's a gem
  • edited December 2017
    oh my god shoutsoff blocks denizen shouts? @Nicola @Makarios @Rhivona @Ictinus @Silas plz plz plz fix, I really don't want to have to listen to less immersive shouts during events.

i'm a rebel

• also, the Emissaries are just killing everybody now. =)