Raiding Mechanics

Comments

• Pyori said:
    Aralaya said:
    Still not AR3, what are the damn raid requirements for that thing :cry:
    Don't you have to be at least like 17 or 18 to join the army? You still got at least another 6 years before you'll be able to work on it.

I get younger every time.
    How long until I just haven't been born yet.

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • For those of you who have issues with how Mhaldor is operating in raids/defense/skirmishes, please send me a private message with specific information and situations. I'll take what is received into consideration and adjust our behavior if necessary. 

Side note, we realize how Aegoth comes off sometimes. Please don't think that we OOC approve of what he says or how he behaves.

However, OOC is OOC and IC is IC. I can't control OOC behavior, and I can't change anything IC because of OOC behavior. If you have a particular problem with an individual OOC you'll need to go through admin. 

• Aw shucks.I guess I'll have to stop being nice if you guys don't approve it :(
  • edited February 2018
    Aralaya said:
    Pyori said:
    Aralaya said:
    Don't you have to be at least like 17 or 18 to join the army? You still got at least another 6 years before you'll be able to work on it.

Keep up the attitude young man, and you'll wish you weren't.

Dang no good, disrespectful whipper snappers. Millenials are killing the world.

• Pyori said:
    Aralaya said:
    Pyori said:
    Aralaya said:

Keep up the attitude young man, and you'll wish you weren't.

Dang no good, disrespectful whipper snappers. Millenials are killing the world.
    ;)

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • I like most of the changes. I'm a little concerned about making sanction harder to obtain though since that's usually the most boring part of the raid. I'd rather make tanks take longer or anything else rather than making sanction denial easier.

It's more fun for defenders when raiders bring teams defenders can score kills against but this seems to encourage the opposite. You have a big fight where raiders get 15 kills and defenders get 10 kills but you don't even get a sanction?
  • I love the changes, but I'm gonna lose a lot more xp when we're defending

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • I didn't even think about that aspect of it. That kinda sucks too...
  • Farrah said:
    I didn't even think about that aspect of it. That kinda sucks too...
    Never thinking about us little people :cry:

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Aralaya said:
    Farrah said:
    I didn't even think about that aspect of it. That kinda sucks too...
    Never thinking about us little people :cry:

I'm on your side here!

Prolonging the period where defenders lose XP as a reward for defender success seems bad. You're also preventing them from getting that juicy disarm xp by making winning prevent a tank from ever being put down. I think defenders would prefer the sanction happen and then being able to disarm.

Usually if you want to avoid a sanction you just don't engage at all.

I also just strongly dislike the idea that a "proper" raid requires one side to slaughter the other, rather than a back and forth where you only get one or two more kills than the other side.
  • Could just activate font, wait for enemy team to start sanction, then engage if the xp worry is strong.
  • The burden of making raids happen has always been on the defense. There never was a guarantee of participation.

If the raiding city wants a fight, they can attempt to bring even odds.

If the raiding city just wants to win, they can bring overwhelming force but that's likely to discourage defenders.

As far as the back and forth nature of sanctions go, I'd say it encourages fairer engagements because it's no longer a game of attrition: It didn't matter how well your city defended if the raid group killed one or two people per round until they got the sanction.

I'm pretty excited to see how this ends up shaking out and I'll be disappointed if the answer is "Just bring everybody".
  • Could just disable xp loss in your city entirely if there's more than 2-5 kills in it in the past x time.

I don't mind the sanction being harder to get. It means you don't get that thing where one group just slowly whittles away and gets 5 pks over 30 minutes then tanks. If people just bring more to try to slaughter, defenders can choose to not engage, since you can't attack anyone you please while sanction isn't ticking.
  • edited February 2018
    How is a group that gets 5 pks over 30 minutes while also dying to defenders ever going to tank you though? If the defenders are winning enough to stop sanction, they're winning enough to disarm. It's always mattered how well you defend because sanction was never the win condition. You're supposed to get it and then win or lose the raid based on who fights better.

All the change does is make it so you have to win by X amount in order to raid at all, which makes disarms just generally less likely since raiders can only tank if they're already dominating.
  • Because it's on the raiding team to offer defenders an incentive to actually defend to get a raid going. People don't want to defend when they're outnumbered 3:1, nor do people want to wait around and keep driving the same group out as they slowly get a sanction one radiance at a time.

The only way it means "less sanctions, less tanks to disarm" is if your strategy is currently one of the following:

A: Suicide into the defenders until you get a sanction via attrition.
    B: Bring overwhelming force that nobody wants to defend against.

Bring a group that people want to fight and you'll get fights. If you win, you get a sanction. If you lose, the defenders get experience.
  • edited February 2018

That's not true though... the change prevents you from obtaining a sanction if defenders defend and you don't get six kills more than they do. This encourages you to bring overwhelming force, in order to ensure you get sufficiently more kills than the defenders do. It does nothing to prevent a team from raiding with 3:1 odds. The only thing that prevents that is what always did: defenders choosing not to engage.

Suiciding into defenders never would have worked even under the old system (unless you're suiciding to guards, which would still work), since, as I said, how are you going to protect a tank if you're dying that much? Similarly, I don't see how the change counters bringing overwhelming odds at all. If anything, it makes it more required. This does nothing to change radiancing for a sanction, since the defenders aren't getting kills if it's just the raiders slowly radiancing them over time.

I don't see any problem the change actually solved. It literally only makes it so if a raiding team is semi-losing/tying, they can't try a tank anyway (which would likely be disarmed). I feel like I would want to encourage the opposite (attempting risky tanks).

It's a bit disingenuous to say defenders only won't defend when the odds are unfair, too. People are always looking for ways to "win." It's better to allow sanctions more liberally to get actual raids going and remove reasons to just stand around. Font change was good.

• ???

Im sorry, but When did defenders not losing XP in their cities get removed?
  • Tahquil said:
    ???

4 years, 2 months ago.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Cooper said:
    Tahquil said:
    ???

4 years, 2 months ago.
    This was the last update, right?

ANNOUNCE NEWS #3994                                     (11/22/2013 at 03:28)  
    From   : Tecton, the Terraformer
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: City Destruction changes
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          We're pleased to announce the release of a major revision of the City Destruction
    system! The highlights of the changes are as follows:

* City military forces are now formalised into city armies, allowing adventurers
    to rise in rank based on their offensive and defensive efforts! Many war and city 
    destruction-related powers are now assignable to military ranks.

* War ministry aides are now empowered to conscript soldiers, replacing the dated
    ENLIST system.

* CITY SOLDIERS is no more! Ranking members of the military now have additional
    tools to list and recruit soldiers.

* Sanctioned raids will now automatically begin following a number of defender
    deaths within a specified timeframe.

* Experience loss has been restored for deaths inside an adventurer's home city.
    Experience loss and gain is suspended at the commencement of a sanctioned raid

* The process of obtaining and cultivating elemental sparks has had numerous tweaks.

* Using the explosive power of these elementals has changed significantly,
    including the potential outcomes!

* Repairing destroyed locations is now a delayed, automated process. The price
    for this has been reduced.

* Defenders can now foil a sanctioned raid, using the raider's elemental sparks
    for their own gain!

* New font empowerments are now available to the defending city's military.

There are far too many changes to list here, so take a read through the following
    updated help files:

HELP CITY DESTRUCTION
    HELP ARMIES
    HELP FONTS
    HELP WAR (*)

(*) Yes, you can finally say goodbye to the old help file for the war ministry!
    No longer will you hear a new minister say "What does TROOPTYPES FIELDED do?!"

Penned by My hand on the 16th of Glacian, in the year 640 AF.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Farrah said:

That's not true though... the change prevents you from obtaining a sanction if defenders defend and you don't get six kills more than they do. This encourages you to bring overwhelming force, in order to ensure you get sufficiently more kills than the defenders do. It does nothing to prevent a team from raiding with 3:1 odds. The only thing that prevents that is what always did: defenders choosing not to engage.

Suiciding into defenders never would have worked even under the old system (unless you're suiciding to guards, which would still work), since, as I said, how are you going to protect a tank if you're dying that much? Similarly, I don't see how the change counters bringing overwhelming odds at all. If anything, it makes it more required. This does nothing to change radiancing for a sanction, since the defenders aren't getting kills if it's just the raiders slowly radiancing them over time.

I don't see any problem the change actually solved. It literally only makes it so if a raiding team is semi-losing/tying, they can't try a tank anyway (which would likely be disarmed). I feel like I would want to encourage the opposite (attempting risky tanks).

1. If you can't get six more kills than the defenders, either you're screwing up your strategy (too few people, not enough LoS/melee/defensive abilities) or they're not engaging.

2. You're conflating "getting a sanction" with "protecting a tank". I haven't even touched the concept of tanks beyond "Disarm ending sanction is a good thing". Under the old system, people can happily suicide into defenders as long as they're scoring one or two kills per engagement and then go hide somewhere actually defendable with a tank and their actual raid group. Sorry, not sorry to see that one go away.

3. If you want risky tanks, bring fewer people and use more strategy. Once again, the raiding team needs to look at this from the angle of "How can I make this interesting for both parties?" and not "How can I make sure my side wins?"
  • The first change only discourages high risk sanction attempts, and encourages low risk ones ala Syndra-style raids. 

Its only contribution is to prolong the sanction phase, which is arguably the most painful phase for defenders.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• Elisella said:

3. If you want risky tanks, bring fewer people and use more strategy. Once again, the raiding team needs to look at this from the angle of "How can I make this interesting for both parties?" and not "How can I make sure my side wins?"
    I mean, regardless of what the raiding party does, the defending party still has the win button that is guards. You can bring less people, barely win, and still get guarded because people don’t want to lose in any capacity.

So it’s a bit ridiculous to put all these expectations on the raiding party, and expect the raid ratios to ever be “fair”. Like Farrah said, you can’t do small skirmish sanctions, because you’re risking taking the negative hits. Requiring the raiders to win any fight by +6 just to get sanction is really silly.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Tysandr said:
    The first change only discourages high risk sanction attempts, and encourages low risk ones ala Syndra-style raids

Its only contribution is to prolong the sanction phase, which is arguably the most painful phase for defenders.
    What is this?
  • Mhaldor has been bad lately about trying to raid with skewed numbers. Several people from differing factions have said as much.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited February 2018
    The big issue with the old sanction system is not that you can't defend if you have to suicide sanction, it's more that your kills can't be undone even as the fights go on for a long time. If, for instance, City A raids for 45 minutes, and gets 5 kills in those 45 minutes but dies 68 times, the defenders are now screwed if any of their defenders have to go or more attackers log in.
    Tysandr said:
    The first change only discourages high risk sanction attempts, and encourages low risk ones ala Syndra-style raids. 

by Syndra style raids do you mean when Syndra, Saeva, and I 3manned a big hashan qw and still got guarded or
  • Tahquil said:
    ???

Are you asking, when did "no XP loss for defenders" get removed? It hasn't.
  • edited February 2018
    Atalkez said:
    Mhaldor has been bad lately about trying to raid with skewed numbers. Several people from differing factions have said as much.
    This is patently false, and has much more to do with a "we can't lose" mentality the other cities have displayed moreso than the illusory claim that Mdor has been bringing huge numbers. Ashtan is a great example where even if they outgun us, they will back down instead of risking a lv 2 tank bc they can't fathom the possibility of not winning decisively
  • edited February 2018
    Atalkez said:
    Mhaldor has been bad lately about trying to raid with skewed numbers. Several people from differing factions have said as much.
    Only raided Targ with skewed numbers, tbh, and I'm pretty sure that was because people were just eager to repay Targ for doing the same not too long ago. Ashtan comments about skewed numbers when it's two extra novices vs their a-team, and we've never even brought 50% of Hashan or Cyrene's cwho.

The idea that a city that's consistently third or fourth biggest at best on cwho is 'skewing numbers' is pretty silly.