Next Class?

Comments

• Actually, if you look at them closely, each end of the chain is linked to the handle of the sickles.

• edited December 2012
    A class that is more monk style but the monk wields two clubs/nightsticks. Think "Daredevil" type fighting. Or maybe a class that is more "sage" like, using telepathy and telekinesis to fight. They would basically stand there, their arms behind their back, eyes closed as they use their mind to make you miss with your attacks, redirect thrown items away from themselves, make you punch yourself in the face or pierce your rapier through your own leg, pick up stones/bricks/other people and throw them at you using their mind. Would be pretty sick. They could have abilities that make holocaust bombs flicker and just go out instead of exploding, can have moves where they just touch you with a finger and it delivers some kind of energy that cripples you or delivers several afflictions. They could have a bunch of herbs and vials floating around their head for easy access, would be able to fly, hover, teleport through icewalls, etc. I can see that being pretty fun to play. 
  • Sylvance said:
    What's the general thought on race-classes? Forget the specifics of Dragonhood, are race-classes a frustration smothering of customisability, or something interesting to be considered for Achaea?

Another question is what folks would think about a Remort system including either a) Prestige classes, or b) Restarting as a lvl1 existing class but with bloated stats.

Thoughts?
    I don't think race-classes are inherently a bad thing, but I don't think they'd fit very well into the existing mix-and-match system. Would work better as a ground-up system of races that implied class.
  • edited December 2012
    Complete overhaul of classes please. would be so fun

Then we could make an Achaea with Dragon Slayers.

• Start buying enough credits for a shiny new coder or two
  • I'd like players to act as predictably and death-defyingly as denizens.
  • Or we pool our coder ability and creativity and make a new MUD for all the classes. (Just don't tell Achaea. She's the jealous type)
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • I have two ideas.

First class: Geomancer

It would basically be a class that uses a big 2h club (conveniently borrowed from a nearby tree) and is sort of elemental-ey. Extremely melee based. One skill is Attunement, which lets the geomancer attune to an element and gives defensive boons and utilities based on that element. It would also have some abilities that benefit groves, and maybe even a support ability based on the element they have. The second skill is the club skill, which gains offensive bonuses based on whatever element that the geomancer has attuned to and is focused around smashing limbs (but not torso/heads). The third skill is geomancy, which lets the geomancer temporarily change a room type (meaning temporary groves in cities for raids, or in Mhaldor if you want to give them the finger), and has ranged in-area single target attacks based on the gromancer's room, as well as ranged group-target (from the enemy list) attacks based on the target's room. If you're a geomancer in the desert, you might be able to call a meteor. If they're in the desert, you could call a sandstorm (would work like a dust bomb). 

Second class: Phalanx, yes I know this name sucks

This would basically be a shield-and-spear (or trident) class with a few support abilities, since there are so few classes that have genuine support which travels with them. Tarot's priest/fool/magi and devotion's hands come to mind, as well as a a bard's harmonics once you can call them to you, but beyond that I can't really think of anything. Reflection? Maybe some vibes? I'm not sure. Anyway, the skills would be spear (offensive), shield (defensive and stands), and then some third skill based around support and afflictions. Maybe even some nets thrown in there for roping people gladiator style.
  • Velyse said:
    I have two ideas.

It would basically be a class that uses a big 2h club (conveniently borrowed from a nearby tree) and is sort of elemental-ey. Extremely melee based. One skill is Attunement, which lets the geomancer attune to an element and gives defensive boons and utilities based on that element. It would also have some abilities that benefit groves, and maybe even a support ability based on the element they have. The second skill is the club skill, which gains offensive bonuses based on whatever element that the geomancer has attuned to and is focused around smashing limbs (but not torso/heads). The third skill is geomancy, which lets the geomancer temporarily change a room type (meaning temporary groves in cities for raids, or in Mhaldor if you want to give them the finger), and has ranged in-area single target attacks based on the gromancer's room, as well as ranged group-target (from the enemy list) attacks based on the target's room. If you're a geomancer in the desert, you might be able to call a meteor. If they're in the desert, you could call a sandstorm (would work like a dust bomb). 
    Just out of curiosity, they are -GEOMANCERS- right? Just assuming there is only 1 element they want to connect to :P.

• Asmodron said:
    Velyse said:
    I have two ideas.

Just out of curiosity, they are -GEOMANCERS- right? Just assuming there is only 1 element they want to connect to :P.

In this case, the geo- doesn't refer to "earth elemental magic" but magic that draws its power from the land. It wouldn't be channeled elements like a priest/sylvan/magi, but attuned ones based on the land type. For example if you wanted to attune to fire, you would go to land where the element of "fire" is represented, like a desert or a volcanic mountain. Alternatively you could make the area you're at a temporary desert/mountain (because you're a geomancer and you do what you want!), and attune that way.
  • I would mind a sort of Slayer, manhunter, type class. A class that it's main skill would focus on crossbows (and nothing above that), and would of course be able to use them in the same room. It would expand upon skills of pacing to keep up with enemies, envenoming bolts to inflict, creating sharper bolts for more damage and penetration, abilities to hide in shadow, strike someone with a bolt and tumble out of the room etc. Actually..I may just design it up and place it on the Idea forums in time.
  • ^ Dont make me get the vayne pics out >:D
  • I think some form of class specialization would be both way cool and a way to get more of these neat ideas to work. 

Like, base mesmer out of the light magic and mental power that serpents have, make a knight branch with different weapons, magi elemental specializations, that sort of thing. 

not saying that it would be at all feasible, but I think it would be cool, at least

• edited December 2012
    Sena said:
    I remembered another class I've thought about before. I've thought a lot about the abilities, but not much about balance or how the class will actually get kills. Spoilered for length.
    [spoiler]
    The class would be unable to wear armour or wield shields (also no SoA). They would summon a sentient, semi-corporeal weapon (always the same weapon, RP-wise, not a new one each time), created from the user's mind/soul/whatever. The first class skill would focus on this weapon (customising it, strengthening it, and various attacks).
    • The weapon wouldn't be envenomable, given that it's not entirely physical. It also wouldn't normally cause bleeding.
    • It can be summoned and called back to you like a spiritual mace, with an eq cost. It can also be dissolved, at no cost.
    • The weapon starts out weak, and only gets slightly stronger with more lessons in the skill. You would essentially level it up, probably through killing things (denizens or players) with it. I'm not sure how many people will like the idea of having to bash to level up their weapon as well as themselves, though. As it gets stronger, you also get more "points" to spend on customising it.
    • Customisation points would be spent on various upgrades (described below) and cosmetic alterations. Cosmetic customisations would be relatively cheap, while combat benefits can cost a lot of customisation points.
    • Maybe after a certain point (a certain weapon level, or a certain number of customisation points spent), there are negative effects, such as a constant man/willpower drain while the weapon is summoned, or a chance of hurting/afflicting you periodically or when you attack.
    • It would start out as a certain weapon type (either something generic like a shortsword or dagger, or at random, so different characters will start with different weapon types), but you'll eventually learn an ability to change it to a different type (maybe as often as you'd like for free, or maybe by spending customisation points so it's more of a one-time choice). Not sure which weapon types should be included as possibilities.
    • I'm not sure how far the weapon type customisation should go. I'm not sure if it should be a purely cosmetic choice, or have actual effects (but it definitely shouldn't use the actual forged stats of the weapon type). What I'm leaning towards is that the weapon category matters, but different weapons within a category are identical (so longswords, broadswords, rapiers, and scimitars are all the same). Or maybe it could all boil down to one-handed, two-handed, and dual-wielding (by splitting the weapon in two, each being weaker than normal so it evens out to similar to a normal single attack), with all other differences being cosmetic.
    • It would normally do psychic damage, but you'll eventually learn the ability to customise it with a different damage type. This would also change the appearance to match. I'm not sure if physical damage should be an option, but I'm leaning towards just psychic/magic/fire/cold/electric. Maybe poison.
    • Another customisation option you'll learn is the ability to give the weapon special effects. Things like draining mana, healing yourself for a portion of the damage dealt, chance of bal/eq loss, an asp-like effect (random venom/affliction on each hit, chance of a non-specific message (basically like loki) or even no message), chance to temporarily reduce the enemy's stats (wouldn't stack, obviously), lots of other possibilities. I'm thinking you could have multiple effects, limited by your customisation points. Maybe a pool of the more powerful effects that you can only choose one of, and only at trans.
    • Other possibilities for customisation are stats (making it stronger, faster, more accurate, etc.), critical chance, bypassing shield/rebounding, causing bleeding, appearance, attack messages, various other flavour things.
    • Now for possible attacks. The basic bashing attack would be a simple melee attack, based on weapon type. Would use balance (as will all weapon attacks, unless specified), can be used without equilibrium.
    • If dual-wielding is an option, a DSL-like attack, again based on weapon types. Otherwise the same as the single attack.
    • A throwing attack, letting you attack from an adjacent room. It would automatically return. Can be used off eq.
    • A mechanically identical alternative to throwing, for larger weapons that it doesn't make as much sense to throw. Maybe something like extending the length of the weapon to hit from an adjacent room.
    • An attack that splits the weapon into multiple copies and throws/shoots/launches them at all enemies in the room. Or maybe the weapon explodes and hits everyone in the room, not just enemies. Unsure if it should be usable off eq.
    • Various abilities that improve the next attack, similar to songblessing. Making it do more damage (either directly increasing it or adding something extra (maybe of a different damage type) like accentato), deal afflictions, bypass shield/rebounding, causing/increasing bleeding, limb damage, whatever the class needs. This would use equilibrium, and most attacks can be used off eq so they can be used as a combo.
    • Some sort of instakill or finisher. Not sure what would be good. Given the huge amount of customisation available, there should probably be several different options for pulling off a finisher as well.
    I haven't thought out the other two skills nearly as much, but they would give the class some defence/support/utility. Given that the class was largely inspired by D&D's soulknife class, I'd probably give the other skills some psionic flavour.
    • A damage reduction ability that gives unpredictable damage resistance to all damage types. It would average out to around 10% reduction, but could be anywhere from 0% to 50% (maybe not that high, or maybe even up to 100%) on each hit. This is basically meant to be an SoA-like ability. Flavour-wise, you mentally deflect incoming attacks, partially avoiding the damage.
    • Astral projection. It would essentially let you walk around as a soul without dying or losing experience. Your soul would leave your body, and you could then walk around and through doors, being stopped by eye sigils and being unable to use most actions, just like a normal soul. There would be a constant mana/willpower drain, and running out of mana/willpower would automatically return you to your body and the ability ends. You have no way to actively restore your mana, but passive regen like moon tattoos and rites would still affect your body (not your soul). Your soul can't be attacked (as usual), but your body remains unconscious where you left it, and can be attacked (which you won't see, so someone could just walk up and behead you). If your body takes any non-lethal damage or is afflicted, you're automatically returned to it. If your body is killed, you stay where you are as a soul. You can end the ability manually at any time, from anywhere, returning to your body. I'm thinking that flash, and maybe throwing eye sigils, should force you back to your body as well. There needs to be some way to get rid of you, so you can't just bother people while being completely untouchable (if you hide your body well). Given that you can't do anything but walk around and talk as a soul, and you can't bring your body with you past doors, this would mostly be for exploration and RP.
    • Maybe some token attack/ability that can be used during astral projection, like choke for blackwind.
    • Some mental stealth/spying abilities, such as seeing through another person's eyes or hearing through their ears from the same area. Not sure what the most interesting way to balance this is. Maybe require something like a mind lock, maybe it has a high mana drain and any action cancels it so it can only be used for a short time, maybe a hard time limit, maybe it's easily detectable by the target so anyone who actively checks for it will know, maybe it's just always visible to the target and not stealthy at all.
    • Short, uncontrollable teleportation as a sort of escape ability. Disappear and reappear in a random room within maybe 2-3 steps. Obviously won't work if there are no exits, maybe go through unlocked doors but definitely not closed+locked. It could be invisible, like an uncontrollable evade, but it's probably better left visible. Or maybe hidden by cloak/shroud (if the class has cloak/shroud) and visible with hypersight.
    • Illusions, maybe usable in a combo with your weapon attacks. Maybe usable at range, with some sort of limitation (still not sure if I want this class to have something like mind locks).
    • Possibly an ability like cloak/shroud, flavour-wise it would work by telepathically tricking people into not seeing you. I'd like if this could be used to cloak other people, but only while they're in the same room as you (so if you separate, the effect ends).
    • I've been working on this post for several hours now, so I'll stop here.
    [/spoiler]
    Because it's fun, I've been fleshing this class out more. My current notes are here. Having only rarely participated in combat though, I doubt I'd be very good at balancing it, and while I can think of lots of idea for cool abilities I can't always think of any way to actually take advantage of them. So if it's ever going to be a serious class proposal (it almost certainly isn't), someone else will have to help a lot.
  • @ Sena talk it up, baby.  If this class were released I suspect there would be a spike in credit sales.  Code it up, @Tecton!
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.

• Sena said:

Psion class with heavy customization
  • I wouldnt mind a true Assassin class. Not the serpent stuff we currently have.. and who thought up the serpent mutant gimick anyway? Couldnt keep it simple could ya!
  • Just bring Outcasts back.

• Just bring Outcasts back.
    What's outcasts?
  • Sylvance said:
    Just bring Outcasts back.
    What's outcasts?
    Occultists with necromancy instead of occultism.
  • Don't get it :(
  • Tinker: Through the science of the gnomes, Achaeans take a new look at warfare.

AB:
    Bionics/Engineering: Utilizing purchased material, a tinker is able to customize and enhance themselves. From fists of steel to enhanced vision, a master Engineer is a force to  be reckoned with.

Psionics: Through years of mental discipline, the gnome race, having a tiny physical frame, have expanded their mind to supernatural levels. Utilizing these Psionic abilities to defend themselves and manipulate their surroundings, this talent has become an art in itself. A trained Psion is a sight to see, from tossing a foe out of their vision, lefting themselves into the air, to even driving an enemy to madness from psionic energy.

Tinkering: A nature talent of the gnome race, tinkering involves crafting special items for use and utility. From a gravitational belt that will allow you to levitate, to a flute that will dispel vibrations/harmonics, a tinker is always a welcome sight on the market. Beware of the deadly black-hole bomb, a device that warps reality itself.
  • Asmodron said:
    Tinker: Through the science of the gnomes, Achaeans take a new look at warfare.

AB:
    Bionics/Engineering: Utilizing purchased material, a tinker is able to customize and enhance themselves. From fists of steel to enhanced vision, a master Engineer is a force to  be reckoned with.

Psionics: Through years of mental discipline, the gnome race, having a tiny physical frame, have expanded their mind to supernatural levels. Utilizing these Psionic abilities to defend themselves and manipulate their surroundings, this talent has become an art in itself. A trained Psion is a sight to see, from tossing a foe out of their vision, lefting themselves into the air, to even driving an enemy to madness from psionic energy.

Tinkering: A nature talent of the gnome race, tinkering involves crafting special items for use and utility. From a gravitational belt that will allow you to levitate, to a flute that will dispel vibrations/harmonics, a tinker is always a welcome sight on the market. Beware of the deadly black-hole bomb, a device that warps reality itself.

BRB, crafting Big Daddy guards for Neo ShallamRapture.

• edited December 2012
    And with the Tinkers is the gnome race introduced as a selectable race in Achaea!

• a Stealthy Monk class, almost like something out of naruto with some of those cool jujitsu abilities...Yes I watch too much Anime and read too much Manga.

• I want to be an outcast.

This discussion has been closed.