Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Messages and Concerns

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoPosts: 2,987Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited January 2017

Welp, wrong thread

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

Shayde
  • BlujixapugBlujixapug Posts: 1,833Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited January 2017
    Vesios said:
    The more I read about Targ's houses in this thread the more I think of how cool it'd be for the Luminai to be like a secret society type of deal, like the Illuminati of Good or maybe just literally the Knight's Templar. Work in the shadows to save the light. Very exclusive, very hard to get into, but very prestigious, the very upper echelon of Targossas society, the ones who run the show.
    sounds like a palette-swapped Occultists to me ;) ;) B)
    Boosteya
  • AesgarAesgar Posts: 436Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Vesios said:

i still don't know what hashan's about

That is, um, kind of the point of Darkness
    BoosteyaNataliiaAilea
  • VesiosVesios Posts: 243Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    pls stop ruining my dreams @Blujixapug i'm going to cry :'(
  • KeorinKeorin Posts: 526Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    The old problem with loyalties could have been fixed far more easily then by complete redefining what houses were. Mhaldor's houses felt distinct from the city, but no one ever thought the house came first.

And redistribution can certainly be an issue, particularly when the house then tries very hard to avoid being what the old houses were. The Virtuosi is basically what Ty Beirdd always tried to be, were it not for admin limitations, and while the house isn't perfect by any means, most of its problems stem more from the city then from any issue of identity.
    Boosteya
  • JonathinJonathin Retirement hole.Posts: 3,289Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Fresh start better than trying to rework and get people interested in dead houses.

My site will remain up, but will not be maintained. The repository will continue to have scripts added to it if I decide to play another game. Maybe I'll see you around in Starmourn!
    Tutorials and scripts  The Repository

BoosteyaNataliiaBade
  • SarathaiSarathai Posts: 2,139Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Vesios said:
    The more I read about Targ's houses in this thread the more I think of how cool it'd be for the Luminai to be like a secret society type of deal, like the Illuminati of Good or maybe just literally the Knight's Templar. Work in the shadows to save the light. Very exclusive, very hard to get into, but very prestigious, the very upper echelon of Targossas society, the ones who run the show.
    But the Assassins are the ones who do that, not the Templars. </pedantichumour>
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

AralayaBoosteyaSkyeVesios
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess BellaterePosts: 2,723Member, Seafaring Liason @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Jonathin said:
    Fresh start better than trying to rework and get people interested in dead houses.
    One of the few Houses that successfully reworked themselves during the transition was the Merchants who were originally the Hashani Sorcerer's Guild. I always give mad props to them for that. 

I don't think any other House has managed to dynamically transform themselves like that. I feel like any other organisation could've taken something, even like Seafaring and work the entire House around it if they'd been willing to step outside their comfort zone. But they did not. 

ShirszaeBoosteya
  • MirekMirek Posts: 5Member
    Mishgul said:
    it would be nice if the legates vs insidium was more like the maldaathi vs naga but there is a lot of resistance to that idea.
    To be honest.. i'm not even sure there is much of a significant difference. They both do the same things, only one does it "sneakily" or something to that effect.
    Boosteya
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoPosts: 2,987Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Mirek said:
    Mishgul said:
    it would be nice if the legates vs insidium was more like the maldaathi vs naga but there is a lot of resistance to that idea.
    To be honest.. i'm not even sure there is much of a significant difference. They both do the same things, only one does it "sneakily" or something to that effect.
    I mean, thats pretty much it. Exploring the differences in approach between the two mindsets.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• DaeirDaeir AustraliaPosts: 6,276Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Elipise said:
    Houses are not as they were when they were 'Paladin', 'Priest', 'Bard', they are more like cogs of a wheel that work for a city. A City has its identity, based on the people, and those people have a means for focus because of their Houses.

Houses are what you make of it, you want to achieve something social, and make things fun for yourself and other people, then join a house. If you wish to grind and focus on your level or fighting and not really deal with people, then do not join a house and expect to have things handed to you by that house. 

I can a hundred percent guarantee you @Daeir that if you actually spoke to any of us, and participated outside of the forums and complaining that we do nothing of interest, when you are not present to see it, then you might actually LIKE the house identity and where it is going.
    That's all well and good, but I'm saying that the core identity of Houses pre-Ren was more than just "supports the city doing x task". Every single House pre-Ren had some sort of tangible identity outside of their factional associations, and it is that loss of identity overall that I am mourning. I'm not begrudging nor pushing people away from being social and doing what they enjoy - that's fine and great, but doing that does not automatically grant said organisation flavour and relevance.

I'm sure that as a group of players, you do lots of interesting things. It isn't your fault that the institutions that exist from an identity standpoint do not lend a level of interest in their own right towards what you're doing. I don't really know how to explain this any better. It isn't any failing of the players involved, is what I am trying to say.
    SiduriBoosteya
    Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. I cannot into English anymore apparently.
    Liyane
  • XadenXaden Posts: 2,312Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I don't get it.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

Elipise
    Put as bluntly as I can, Houses don't mean anything anymore.

If you fight, it doesn't matter whether you fight in the Dawnblade or in the Legates or in the Shield or in the Somatikos or in the Vanguard, it matters that you fight, period. People view you as a "fighter", not a member of the Dawnblade, a Legate, etc etc. You all do largely the same thing with only very minor variations on flavour. Previously, if you fought as a Templar or as a member of the Maldaathi, you had a distinct identity and fantasy to accompany that.

You end up diluting these identities into "I fight for Targossas" instead of "I fight as a Dawnblade for Targossas". This is compounded by the fact that anyone from any House in a city can fight for that city, so that identity naturally swings towards "I fight for Targossas" even for people in the Dawnblade.

It is a very big systemic issue with post-Renaissance Houses, and is worsened significantly by the lack of role specialization in the wake of multiclass and making many Houses omni-class. A lot of guild/House association comes from class fantasy, and you can't really have that in an organization that is supposed to take everything without investing significant effort into it.
    PrytheMirekLiyaneBoosteya
  • IniarIniar Posts: 79Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    join house <x>

You cannot join house <x>. You suffer from insufficient gravitas, mien and comportment.
    Boosteya
    Must be tri-trans in gravitas, mien and comportment to proceed.

Imagine if organizations had ratings for any of those values.
    IniarBoosteya
    I was kidding :(

I am bad at the bantz.
    Xaden
  • MagentaMagenta EuropePosts: 160Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I understand your sentiments, too, but as you explained already, it has to do with the new factional orientation of the cities. You distinguish yourself through citizenship (which, ironically, is something many new players choose right at the beginning without learning anything about the philosophies first), and as with us in Targossas, House membership isn't even mandatory any more. The meaning and importance of Houses have significantly been reduced, and they are there now more for individual flavour than for meaningful roleplaying. Ashtan and Targ have the SAME Houses. One for fighting, one for preaching, one for support. The only difference is the end-game/goal. 
    Boosteya
  • KenwayKenway San FranciscoPosts: 1,130Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    So since no one raids Cyrene anymore let's make the Shield the house o paperwork and all the other houses can contract out their house advancement record keeping to them and make it as pleasant for the house and complex for the the recorder as they want! Everybody wins. (Pls someone raid Cyrene again so the shield can stop dying)

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
    KeorinAziikBoosteya
    Kenway said:
    So since no one raids Cyrene anymore let's make the Shield the house o paperwork and all the other houses can contract out their house advancement record keeping to them and make it as pleasant for the house and complex for the the recorder as they want! Everybody wins. (Pls someone raid Cyrene again so the shield can stop dying)
    Don't think we're supposed to :(

Plus you guys are the only city I'm not enemied to :(

Xaden said:
    Kenway said:
    Don't think we're supposed to :(

Plus you guys are the only city I'm not enemied to :(
    I'm Hashani now. see: aforementioned lack of raids and slow painful death of young and initially flourishing combatant community

XadenMathildaAziik
    Yes! You are! I forgot that!

Also @Dochitha is back. The shield lives again?

• NazihkNazihk Posts: 962Member @ - Epic Achaean
    We actively raid Hashan/Ashtan/Mhaldor and we'd also raid Eleusis if they ever had numbers that made that feasible.

I need to be unenemied to Cyrene so that I have someplace to buy inks and plants.
  • CailanCailan Posts: 143Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    We don't raid Eleusis I'm 98% sure
    Xaden said:
    Yes! You are! I forgot that!

Also @Dochitha is back. The shield lives again?
    If there's any hope, I'd place it in @Hosko @Dochitha and @Keorin. People like them were the entire point of the house, if anyone gets it, they do.

DochithaBoosteya
  • TahquilTahquil Posts: 3,990Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Until they all bail/get kicked from Cyrene and join up with Hashan.
    ElipiseDochithaBoosteya
Sign In to Comment.