Achaea (the planet), SCIENCE!, and you!!

13»

Comments

• A bard can high jump out of room temporarily. Roughly taking some value based on the ones suggested so far, let's say this is 250m in the air (more than 1 metron, and some way past the limit without ever touching a second metron).

A medium sized creature gets 8 feet of reach for free when attempting a vertical jump (3.5 rules). The DC for a high jump is 4x the distance to be cleared, 2x if you don't have a running start, 250m = 820ft, -8ft for reach so we have a DC of 812x8 = 6496.

There's a speed bonus for every 10 ft/rnd of speed above 30ft/rnd. Let's take the 67% Usain Bolt speed for now, which gives us 8.33 m/s = 26.2 ft/s = 157.2 ft/DnD round, for a bonus of +48. Add in some other things:
    Str 14 = +2
    Lv. 80 = 83 ranks in Acrobatics
    +30 skill bonus we'll say from misc. class things
    +40 bonus from arties and magic items
    0 armor penalty from wearing leather
    = +203 to DC

Our bards are regularly succeeding at a DC 6293 check (and avoiding 18d6 lethal + 1d6 nonlethal damage) !
  • Antonius said:
    Kenway said:
    Depths walker gets built in celerity? Jesus what don't they get? 
    Depthswalker celerity is an active ability rather than passive benefit; I don't recall exactly how it works though.
    It's active in that you have to refresh it periodically, but it lasts 16.7 minutes, or 8.4 if you can't spare the small age cost for whatever reason (outside of combat it should be trivial, and in combat I expect the 2.8s eq cost will typically be more of a concern than the age).
    So it's pretty easy to keep up near-permanently.
  • edited January 2017
    Shirszae said:
    @Sarapis Out of curiosity, is there anything at all you could share about those continents? In terms of inhabitants/customs/anything really?
    Well, Kashar and Azatlan are on one of them. The same one, as it happens, though not next to each other.

I don't actually know all THAT much about most of the world. Think of Sapience and how much stuff there is on it (most of which I didn't plan), and then extend that across the whole world. So I know things like where a few big nations are, a few events that happened here or there, but haven't really fleshed it out much, as much of it will likely never be used anywhere. 
  • edited January 2017
    >I believe that 400m squares would make Achaea roughly earth-sized but your cap'd MUCH makes me think it's quite a bit larger than earth! Anyways this was a fun project and I look forward to refining it more as people continue to be smarter than me and we get new land masses. Thankfully regardless of meters/metron and other mistakes I've made, I think the rings measurements in metrons are still fairly accurate. At least enough to approximate angles and such!
    Uh, I have no idea man! I'm just over here doing a lot of handwaving. ;)
  • Sarapis said:
    Shirszae said:
    @Sarapis Out of curiosity, is there anything at all you could share about those continents? In terms of inhabitants/customs/anything really?
    Well, Kashar and Azatlan are on one of them. The same one, as it happens, though not next to each other.

I don't actually know all THAT much about most of the world. Think of Sapience and how much stuff there is on it (most of which I didn't plan), and then extend that across the whole world. So I know things like where a few big nations are, a few events that happened here or there, but haven't really fleshed it out much, as much of it will likely never be used anywhere. 
    Having said that, I really hope that we can build out a little bit of the continent Kashar and Azatlan are on at some point in the reasonable future.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Sarapis said:
    Sarapis said:
    Shirszae said:

Having said that, I really hope that we can build out a little bit of the continent Kashar and Azatlan are on at some point in the reasonable future.

Don't hope, do!

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited January 2017
    Events 449 has a bit more information on Therophage (the continent) and Azatlan, for anyone who doesn't remember.
  • Keorin said:
    Events 449 has a bit more information on Therophage (the continent) and Azatlan, for anyone who doesn't remember.
    I completely forgot we released the name of that continent. Kashar's on the same one. Therophage is the biggest continent in the world, though it's long, twisting, and relatively narrow compared to its length.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    @Sarapis Yes please.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Sarapis said:
    Would that be frustrating or ultimately interesting?
    Interesting.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Interesting for me too, especially if the map/information becomes known ICly.
  • I think most of us would like to see the map as a whole to get an idea of true scale, even if we don't know it IC'ly. Scale can, when creating a character, really help you get a feel for the mindset/locale. 
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I for one would definitely love it

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• yaaasss
     <3 
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Sarapis said:
    Totally random question: We've never released the world map - even most Gods have never seen it - and it's nothing to get too excited over in terms of detail (it's minimal). What's the community's feeling on releasing it even knowing that in the case of most of the world, we'd be teasing stuff that will never actually get put into the game in any way?

Would that be frustrating or ultimately interesting? (How we release it isn't part of the question - would almost certainly be done in-role somehow.)
    I just did all this math and everyone else is hopping in on it and you're wondering if we want to know more about our world? Of course we do! Yesplease!!!

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • That would be really interesting, even if it is never put into the actual game it makes the world that much cooler

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Not only interesting but it would also give a sense of adventure for one day (possibly) exploring them. Not to mention, a general sense of wondering about what goes on over there.
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    I also have a long going art project that would be awesome to be able to add new and mysterious continents to @Sarapis

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten