Destroying Blademaster Blades

This isn't about the naming of Blademaster Blades, because that's a dead horse that's been kicked one too many times. This is simply a solution to those of us who don't want to give blades over to a humgii, and it's just the beginning of an idea.

Rather than that scenario, allow a blademaster to return to the glade of frozen trees and PLUNGE BLADE INTO ASHES.

From that point the ashes swallow up the blade like quicksand, or dissolve it, or whichever. The blade becomes destroyed the same way a humgii would eat it, but it's slightly more poetic than giving a blade that Murad forged specifically for that blademaster over to a living trash receptacle. Within the same amount of time you can return to Kavaya and get set on a new quest.

Nothing else changes. Still need ashes, the metal and other ingredient. The timing remains the same, so you can only gather ashes once per RL day. Etc... Just a cosmetic change, really.

Comments

• This was gorgeous and enjoyable to read.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • Sure, why not. Adding another more-RP-centric option to destroy unwanted blades is fine with me.

• "From that point the ashes swallow up the blade like quicksand, or dissolve it, or whichever."

This was much funnier when I thought the trees were 'ash trees', not 'ashes'.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • Is it bad that I accidentally envisioned a panicky kitten grasping at the sides of that chute? :/
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Xith said:
    Is it bad that I accidentally envisioned a panicky kitten grasping at the sides of that chute? :/
    I was thinking a black comedy where there'd be a poor schmuck who didn't pay his debts instead…
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• edited November 2012
    Whilst I love the sentiment of the OP, wouldn't it be better to make BM blades unhumgiiable and undestroyable?  That would force people to RP out whatever they're given. Of course that would only work once the name generator was fixed, which is where I think the time taken to do the OP changes would be better spent.

ETA - Why can't banded BM swords be customized?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • They're badass enough (apart from some of the names...). No need to increase the badassery.
  • Rajan said:
    They're badass enough (apart from some of the names...). No need to increase the badassery.
    Huh?
  • @Sylvance I would love to see someone try to seriously RP  with a bladename like Calamitous Eels or Subtle Lionesses or Charming Rams.
  • ... Was that a challenge?
  • @Sylvance I would love to see someone try to seriously RP  with a bladename like Calamitous Eels or Subtle Lionesses or Charming Rams.
    Are you seriously arguing that Subtle Lionesses has no RP value?
  • Dead horse, people.
  • Does the blade's name have anything to do with the player's roleplay? As neat as nameblades are, I don't get whether they have any purpose. Unless you're going to do Eel emotes in the middle of combat, nobody cares, cause the blade usually stays sheathed.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • I got lucky with mine. 'Vengeful Boar' for a Mhaldorian is full of win.
  • I had Vengeful Phoenix on one alt and Ancient Fang on another. Good names.
  • Amateurs, I had like five at a time courtesy of old theft.
  • Xith said:
    Does the blade's name have anything to do with the player's roleplay? As neat as nameblades are, I don't get whether they have any purpose. Unless you're going to do Eel emotes in the middle of combat, nobody cares, cause the blade usually stays sheathed.

More than anything, more than the RP of the character, aesthetic appeal to the player should also be considered. It doesn't matter if the character is fine with Writhing Eels, but if the player isn't, they should be given the opportunity to rectify that.

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    If you can broken star someone vengeful butterflies then you win Achaea.
  • If I had Vengeful Butterflies, I'd band it.
  • If a Vengeful Butterfly flaps its wings in the Mhojave Desert, will the wind caused by its flapping cause a storm over Northreach Forest?

• Pretty sure I helped a novice get Vengeful Butterflies a while back. I don't think he thought it was as funny as I did. I'll have to check logs when I'm back on the right computer and see if I'm not completely making that up.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Why you hatin' on Cyrene, man. :(
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • And, like, the ash grove is at a totally different angle than that if Cyrene, assuming you're throwing this from outside Mogedhu or something.

Unless we're talking about the next generation of blademaster abilities here. LoS sword chucking OP.

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • Daeir said:
    Mighty Blademaster blades do not obey physics. That is for Alchemists and people who wear glasses. Throw sword at mountain, sword lands in Cyrene. That is how Thyr works.
    No, Thyr is accurate. Maybe Arash...
  • Eld said:
    Daeir said:
    Mighty Blademaster blades do not obey physics. That is for Alchemists and people who wear glasses. Throw sword at mountain, sword lands in Cyrene. That is how Thyr works.
    No, Thyr is accurate. Maybe Arash...

No, no no. If it were Arash: Throw sword at mountain;sword lands in Bopalopia;sword brokenstars Bopalopia;sword lands in Riparium.