How Exactly does Theft Work?

13»

Comments

• Out of curiosity, I've never had a Serpent with Hypnosis before. Is it last in first out for actions, or first in first out?

• It is.
  • edited July 2016
    Last in first out

Hypno stack, not hypno queue
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    I'm an asshole and someone taught me, so I just messaged you how, @Stuneree
    Happy hunting.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    If he doesn't have a veil then it'll be happy hunting indeed  :p

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Oh and if Shirszae jumps you, just hide and send me a tell. I love killing her.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Jinsun said:
    I think you mean, 'I love escaping to clouds to heal because I know she can't follow and I am too scared to actually remain on land' but sure.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Shirszae said:
    Jinsun said:
    I think you mean, 'I love escaping to clouds to heal because I know she can't follow and I am too scared to actually remain on land' but sure.

Those that can, Duanathar. Those that can't, die.
  • edited July 2016
    @Jinsun
    To be honest, was gonna ask you given that you cleared my pack a couple times last month.
    Thanks for dat info!

And yeah I'll keep you posted lmao.

• My biggest thievery victories have been on other games, mainly Imperian(back when theft was still not against rules), and MkO(Yay thievery as a skill).

As for Achaea, I use to partake in thievery back when occultists could still combo soulmaster/heirophant. I always loved thievery as a game mechanic, but mainly cause I was an asshole. Though, for the upside of thievery, before I started thieving as Kateb, I was never much into PvP or anything like that. I learned how to steal as an occultist, and I feel I got quite good at it. After I started doing it more and more, I became very infamous, and that is really what started getting me into PvP in -any- of the IRE games. Being so infamous, and constantly known as a thief, I was hunted a lot. After a while I decided it was time to start learning how to defend myself properly, rather than just running away. Then I joined the marks, because I was infamous so often, why not?

Thievery really opened a lot of doors for me, and in the long run, really made me realize what I could manage to do with my characters outside of bashing/afk'ing/sitting around with friends.
  • Probably shouldn't have admitted you were Kateb.

• If someone wants to make an interaction with me worse because I played Kateb, at least I'll know they're worthless to interact with.
  • Thievery can be immensely fun....for the Thief. The victims however...can and most generally will take it pretty rough. I too once indulged in thievery both in Achaea (very limited time) and in other IRE and became quite good at it. The thrill of getting into secure houses or shop stocks and swiping all the goodies for yourself is near rapturous. It comes to the point in other IRE (and hence why theft is near-to banned in all of them now) that even the Gods themselves will begin to hate you and make it quite clear they hate your existence from a player perspective (even got hate messages).

Back on point, Thievery is fun...but destructive. Consider it like crystal meth. Feels good, you're on a high, you become addicted and next thing you know your teeth are falling out and you look like shit to everyone.
  • I'm not going to lie. I hate thievery. I don't think it should be possible. But that's not my decision to make, so I accept that it is a thing.

However, I was stolen from twice in the past. Once as a barely not-novice in Achaea about 10 years ago. I quit Achaea and didn't return for at least half a decade. The other was in Imperian where the only reason I didn't quit, was because after explaining to the thief that everything they'd just taken (this was when you could literally take everything on a person. They'd trap you, lock you and just take everything.) had come from a credit purchase that I simply wouldn't be able to make again and they returned most of it and even taught me how to defend myself against it in future.

Being the victim of theft can and does make people quit the game. I strongly advise people not to do it.
  • Pickpocket, for the most part, steals relatively negligible things, at least. There's a cap on how much gold can be stolen at a time, I'm pretty sure.

The only time it will hit you hard is if you are sitting around AFK and people can just keep on having at it with pickpocket.

I've rescued a couple of people in that situation from @Kiet in the past.
  • Proficient thieves these days will keep an eye out for possible inactivity. If someone has been standing around in the same spot for a time then the thief will assume they are afk and thus a prime target. It is sad but true.
  • Asmodron said:
    Proficient thieves these days will keep an eye out for possible inactivity. If someone has been standing around in the same spot for a time then the thief will assume they are afk and thus a prime target. It is sad but true.
    This. I had two cities think I was targeting their citizens individually. Turns out their citizens were just the most afk 
  • Frankly being a good thief is less about the skill and more about the wits. When you understand how people act and think then you'll get the biggest hits.
  • @Kafziel Since I didn't see anyone else clarify, the worn check is at the time of pickpocket initiation. You do have to force remove, wait for it to happen, pickpocket, wait 5 seconds. Generosity can be forced on 5 second timer though, like you said. Worn item + selfishness plus rewear/re-selfish trigger = safe.
  • edited August 2016
    EDIT: I CANT FIX THE SPOILER THING I GIVE UP
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    what the...