New Class

Comments

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    edited November 2016
    Nazihk said:
    Jurixe said:
    I don't know what the Great Work is, but historically Darkness has always meant being deceptive, influential, puppet master-type roleplay - taking all sides and no sides if it achieves your own ends. Darkness may rank low in terms of world threats now but that wasn't always true - for a while, everyone feared and hated the Order of Darkness because of how wide their reach was. You never knew - even the order members didn't know - who a Darkwalker was, which made them a huge threat to all. I, personally, think that a mercenary black market city with its own motives would be super cool to play in. What if you could come to Hashan to find any information or gossip you needed? Or hire any mercenaries to do the dirty jobs no one else will touch? It's such a grey area - some people will consider it a huge threat, some people will be dismissive, some people might seek to influence Hashan to its own ends. And played smart, that could be extremely fun. But is that what Hashan wants to get behind, or am I totally off base on this? You must decide.
    This kind of thing is completely and totally awesome. However, it's also completely and totally awful at being a factional identity, for several reasons. 

The whole thing about how wide the reach of the Twilighters and how you never knew who they were is sort of defeated by "oh, it's everybody in Hashan." Similarly, when your city theme is "backstabbery and subterfuge" it's a lot harder to actually do some effective backstabbery and subterfuge. That kind of thing works a lot better when you have something like the old Triumvirate of the Night and a city that's sort of causeless and you have to wonder what their game is, because you never know who among them is a Darkwalker. It works less well when you know that's their thing.

It's also a small scale thing. It worked for the Darkwalkers because they were a small elite group and they were dedicated. It doesn't scale out very well. Somebody will let the plan slip if you tell too many people about it, so it tends to be exclusive instead of inclusive.

That's a fair point, but Hashan being so much less clear-cut than the other cities may actually work in its favour here. Ashtan is meant to be all about Chaos, but not the whole city is Chaos-friendly, just the leadership. So it's possible that Hashan could also be the same. It could be a mercenary/scholar city that places huge emphasis on information gathering and exploring the unknown (historical astronomy link), which seems to me that it would fit well for a Darkwalker city on a basic level. You could have people who aren't necessarily Darkwalker zealots but don't have anything against their agenda, or the smiling fence who travels to every city selling rare wares and picking up gossip to pass on to the higher ups. So no one would actually know how powerful the city actually is or isn't, not even those in Hashan itself. Being an unknown quantity can be fun too.

I didn't necessarily say that the whole city had to be unified behind it Mhaldor or Targossas-style, but it just has to have a recognisable world identity. Just its mercenary/scholar status, if done well, is scary enough - the other 'traditional' factions will always be wary of it and never want to piss it off or would always try to influence it, making it a very interesting middle ground to fight political-style battles. Meanwhile, the Darkwalkers at the top will be observing and manipulating the other factions to achieve what they want, which would generally be influence everywhere. But to get to somewhere like this, you would need the talent - you need to have things that other people want - and that's something you have to find a way to attract.

The Hashan of old was already somewhat like this, but unfortunately its reputation for OOCness preceded itself and the stronger leaders of the time faded away. None of this may work out in practice, but that's how I dream! 
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Jurixe said:
    Just its mercenary/scholar status, if done well, is scary enough

Mercenary status doesn't work that well.

Firstly, that's something that you need the fighters to back up. Hashan just doesn't have them.

Secondly, most organizations like to fight their own battles and don't need or want mercenaries.

Thirdly, and most importantly, the big thing about mercenaries is that mercenaries fight for other causes. They don't have causes of their own. The mercenary city is only a good factional identity for a faction full of people who just want to fight and don't give a damn about the reasons or the RP. 
  • Calyn said:

My one lament is that the entire Hashan forum brigade could not or would not put it into terms like that.
    For the record, I'm arguing Hashan's case because I think it's an issue that needs to be addressed regardless of personal affiliation. Having lived there for some time during the 'what's a Hashan' era gives me perspective but I wouldn't be arguing for this if I thought it would a bad thing for the game.
    having a factional class isn't going to provide you with an identity
    I disagree. I liked the phrase 'identity anchor', it provides a stable point for the rest to be built around. People might mismanage the 'rest' part and not achieve full-fledged identity or they may do so very well and become a reference but everyone gets a well defined starting point.
  • The class isn't the anchor. The class is the shiny thing you get for choosing a side. The ideology and motivation is the anchor.

Let's put it this way: Which would be more fulfilling? A relationship based solely on shiny things, or a relationship based on actually caring?
  • Calyn said:
    The class isn't the anchor. The class is the shiny thing you get for choosing a side. The ideology and motivation is the anchor.

Let's put it this way: Which would be more fulfilling? A relationship based solely on shiny things, or a relationship based on actually caring?
    Of course a relationship based on caring would be...OOH, IS THAT A QUARTER?!

• Side note: I'm glad there's finally something here I can argue about, I missed that.
  • Mathilda said:
    Hashan looked like a very, very interesting city. But  it  definitely  paled in comparison to the other factional cities, mainly because it seems like it s left in the water by the admins. All the other  factions got an identity revamp, plus the factional class to back it up.

It's  easy for the other factions to say things like Hashan needing to prove itself to get a factional class when they already have one (three in Eleusis's case :)). Our privilege in the current  state of affairs does not negate the needs of those who do not have it.
    So like... Sentinels were originally based in Asthan, and then Hashan, and then RPd their way into being Forest-only (thanks to Covenant there) and then the Divine made a village in the forests. But what wasn't seen behind the scenes was the work that went into getting the village. I helped in the initial design of the new Woodlore class and Eleusis with Perseon, Covenant, uhhhh Caled?, and a few others via email. It was pretty in depth. So it isn't as if we just came to the forums and said "Ohhh shiny, can we have that?" . If you play it out and earnestly RP it, and do all the work (except the coding obviously) then you would have better luck. It will take time (Eleusis took something like 2 or 3 RL years iirc) . Hashan had shaman... and alchemists.. and now they want this? Why? They've not built an identity around any of the other classes originally designed to compliment them. I mean, FFS alchemists were brought about by the Great Taint of Twilight(tm) and couldn't be associated with Sentinels (or any other forestal class) and even made it so curatives didn't have to come from forestals. Literally a Hashan RP goldmine. What came of it?

• Makarios said:
    Completely off (well, on) topic, I'd just like to note on behalf of Mr. deSangre that anyone thinking he did it out of the goodness of his heart and because he likes Achaeans needs to stop right there and reread what he said right before giving out the class. Parni deSangre is not a charitable man (he's kind of a griefer, tbh).
    He's a loner that will ruin everything you know and love because you stepped on his lawn.

He seems to be almost (if not) God level powerful too.

Rip little weird girl

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited November 2016
    Calyn said:
    Calira said:
    The complaint is that the existence of this class sabotages Hashan's claim as Court of Shadows, and works against its identity.

Hashan needs to actually do work to defend its claim to shadows, whether that's internally by whipping up some awesome RP about it or externally by brutally hunting down and killing everyone dumb enough to ASK CERTIMENE BECOME DEPTHSWALKER. The fact that it took this long in the thread to get someone who wasn't even from Hashan to explain things is a problem in making a compelling case on Hashan's end, not the administration's.
    This is what I said pages ago, albeit rather rudely because it was late in the night for me and I couldn't take the whining anymore.

And this: 

Shirszae said:
    You guys are honestly selling yourselves short by saying you can't. You can make it so that every DW basically -wants- to go there for the awesome rp, and then while they are there just introduce them to the wider concepts of Darkness and such

--  
    Honestly, when I was young it was a full time job sniffing out the Twilighters in our orgs and it was awesome.  They played it amazingly.  Everyone was afraid of Twilighters embedding themselves in the hierarchy of their orgs.  This is not so anymore.  Hashan was always fairly "quiet" in that regard.    It is so easy to use that to your advantage.  

• Like steel on stone, the preternatural tones of Parni deSangre thunder 
    throughout Creation, "I gift you knowledge, Achaea. Do with it what you will."

[snip]

Like steel on stone, the preternatural tones of Parni deSangre thunder
    throughout Creation, "Maybe one of you will survive."
    Like us, he does not.
  • The admins have said that they're not doing factional classes anymore. So no matter how well Hashan spins the RP, they're not getting one. I remember when alchemists came out, and the fantastic way Hashan players built up astronomy and science; if I wasn't so invested in another IRE at that time, I definitely would have moved over then already. Hashan gets the short end of the stick by being a faction without a factional class.

Which is why the rest of us should at least understand the frustrations of players in Hashan. Logistics dictate that aligning a class to be used by only a sixth (or, let's be honest, at least a fourth due to the relative high number of Hashani) of the playerbase would be improbable, and that's not the fault of their players.
     <3 
  • Antonius said:
    I think Hashan is vastly overestimating the effect having a factional class is going to have.
    I dunno, most Hashani I've talked to IG (who don't really visit forums it seems), don't seem to care either way about DW being Hashan-specific. Just a few vocal forum-goers being uppity about it, because omgshadows.
  • Let's talk about Hashan's identity. Its no secret that its something that Hashan has struggled with for at least as long as I've been playing. Pre-Renaissance, there were periods of progress, where there would be a favorable attitude towards the Dark and Moon orders, but political schemes by either side, or the rest of Hashan, generally undermined it and turned it back towards nothingness.

I won't say that I had no part in undermining that, but with a directionless Hashan, everybody thinks their vision is the right vision. If you weren't Darkwalker, that vision didn't include Twilight. If you weren't Ouranian, it didn't include Ourania. Knowledge of the coming Renaissance further enflamed these discussions and political maneuvers. 

Then came the Renaissance. I only have one good thing to say about the Renaissance for Hashan, that it mostly weeded out those who didn't put city first, because everything else was destroyed or majorly changed. The leaders sunk a lot of time - a lot of time - into coming up with new ideas for both city and House; an opportunity unique to Hashan that IMO was squandered. Tons of ideas were tossed around and refined amongst the leaders.

During this process, we were driven away from any divinely-focused ideas. In fact, Twilight ( or the Twilight active at the time ) said he would prefer that Twilight no longer be associated with Hashan. Ultimately, we were handed this Wellspring idea, one that, as far as I can recall, we the leaders didn't actually come up with.

So the Wellspring was happening. I don't know how many of us actually approved the idea, but it was what the admin said we were going to do. The problem with the Wellspring is that, well, its not an ideology. Its a city-wide focus in the sense that its something we do, internally, but it gave us no political/ideological stance in the world. IMO, it watered us down further past pre-Renaissance Hashan.

We were distanced further from the gods that previously supported us. We took the Night theme, subtracted the gods and their ideologies that made up the Night, and were expected to hold to and support this as an ideology. We got the cool Court of Shadows moniker, but both that and the help file on Hashan implies that the political fighting remains internal. On top of all this, at the very base of our "ideology" is this non-existent Wellspring of power, that will never be put to use, or actually studied, because it can't. Our ideology is pretending to try and achieve tangible, mechanical effects that won't come. You can't give Hashani +1 INT or whatever for being Hashani, you can't give them EQ reduction.

For the rest of the cities, its about why they're doing what they're doing, that makes them special. You can't disprove Good, you can't prove that the Good ideology can't change things, and the same for the other factions. For Hashan, its what its doing, which can easily be proven to be pointless and ineffective, undermining Hashan's core.
  • edited November 2016
    Jacen said:
     For Hashan, its what its doing, which can easily be proven to be pointless and ineffective, undermining Hashan's core.
    I dislike this line of thought. What we're doing matters much more than pure ideology in the long run. If what we were doing never mattered the Institute would never have gotten to where it was those days. Me and Vayne and the others most likely would have done what we did even if we never got Divine attention at all because it was the roleplay itself that mattered. It was a huge help that the city itself sometimes helped us out, constantly promoting us and basically giving us a blank check to cash in on prestige, but even if the city never did that we still would have trucked on as we did. Our rise simply would have been slower. 

What we do is very important, more important than the ideology itself, because if we're not -doing- anything the Divine don't take notice at all. We can give it a purpose later. What matters is that we're roleplaying.

The Institute (Hashan by proxy) did not get the best labs on Achaea and then got inspired to roleplay. It was the other way around. We got those labs because we impressed people, and those people asked the Divine for us. We raised about half a million gold in about three days and the city covered the other half. Ourania was a constant, constant source of influence for the alchemists, whether or not they knew it, because she was always poking her head in on the Institute channel and listening to what we were doing. Not because she was told to by her higher-ups, but because we were -constantly- talking, discussing, teaching, learning, and experimenting! If we weren't doing any of that she would have left long ago. It was because of the alchemists of Hashan's constant, constant questioning and poking at reality itself that things happened for Hashan. It was why we learned Antimone's name, got her advice, and were given several contracts by the Divine themselves!

While I'm at it, props to @Ourania. If you weren't there, the clan wouldn't have had half the fun it did. I can't point to exactly what scenarios you played, but I know that Twilight wasn't active at that time, and that things slowed down after you went dormant.

What would have happened if Inc/Vhalkier had continued to lead the Institute? What would have happened had I never come about? What would have happened if Vayne didn't enter later to revitalize me and the Institute when we were running out of steam and inspired us to act like a House? I can't tell you that things would have happened that way, but I suspect the Institute would have died about a third of the way through.

Ourania told me "The Night is Hashan. Hashan is the Night". I've been saying it for a long, long time now, but apparently people don't quite get what I'm getting at here. Like the city did for the Institute, the Divine are doing for Hashan. They've given us a blank check to define ourselves with. The Somatikos and Krymenian are still very, very able to be changed right now. They are still in their infancy. We have a budding culture. If you want to change something, now is the time. This is the time to set in protections from the corruption that infested Hashan (and still have it's sticky tendrils there).

Like it or not, I suspect we have a window of maybe a few months now to answer "What's a Hashan?". Do not fuck up several months of cultural shift and civil war we had to excise the corruption that was so deep in Hashan. Make it count.
  • @Jacen - Commenting on the Wellspring thing, I remember sending projects for the Luminai. In the end of my career, I was tasked with putting these things in motion... but my original ideas had been twisted so far that I could not do anything save passively wait for divine intervention (hard to discover mechanics that don't exist!). I got discouraged but still tried to work on what I could but it wasn't enough.

I was asked to step down because "I lacked original ideas and initiative"... for getting robbed out of my original idea and blocked out of my initiative. Kind of upsetting, so I can relate with the feeling of helplesness.

• @Hellen
    I'm not saying that what we do isn't important. I'm saying that if what we do is the basis for our city - especially doing something that is so internal - that isn't a feature that differentiates us from the others. If you have a why underneath it, you're protected in a sense. Targossas can get their butts kicked six ways from Sunday, but as long as they believe that Mhaldor and Ashtan and Hashan are wrong, their ideology, their core, hasn't been harmed. They can build their roleplay on their ideology whether they're winning or losing, because its independent of that. Same for the other two. 

Hashan's struggle isn't against other cities, or other ideologies or other entities. Hashan's core, post-Renaissance, does not stand in opposition to anything else, nor does it point to denying the success of anything else. Hashan's core tenets are defined against mechanics that will not happen, but in a sense that's very different from the other ideologies. The other factions have their end goal that won't happen, sure, but they can also have objectives, measure successes, and analyze failures in opposing the other factions. Detonate a tank in Mhaldor. Convert someone away from Good. Raise/raze shrines, spread vines, exterminate, debate. These are tangible things that are done in the name of those ideologies, and Hashan doesn't have that. 

Yes, what we do is super important. That's what's going to attract people, activity, and so on. But more important is the why behind it, because that's what justifies us, gives us conflict, and makes us unique among factions. Its what give the flavor and meaning to the things that we do. Without that, you could just go do it in another faction to the same result.

@Aerek
    I'm not asking for a divine mandate, or a theology. I'm asking for an ideology, something that defines the will of Hashan. Something that gives a reason to engage in conflict, for people to go and effect Hashan's will in the world. What we have been given is a neutral, don't care what's going on in the world stance.

Will it cull the population down? Certainly. But if we're to be the shadow-themed (not anymore, right?) Cyrene, I wish that would just come out and be said, and the effort and investment stop being wasted.
  • I realize I'm new (which is to say, returning to Achaea after more than a decade playing other IRE games) but I'm going to throw out my own unsolicited opinion.

I spent a lot of time on the wiki and forums before making my character, getting acquainted with the classes and especially the organisations as they now exist. I ended up going Hashan, despite my memories of it as being OOC and directionless, because the whole Darkness thing seems awesome to me. The Depthswalker class also seems up my alley as well. I realize that there isn't a unified sense of 'Darkness' in Hashan, even though that's what I'll be going for sort of, but honestly I enjoy that. Mhaldorian (and, to a lesser extent, Ashtani) roleplay seems a bit confining to me. I feel like current Hashan seems to occupy a good balance of having a possible identity without it being forced down your throat.

I don't know. For me, I have an idea for my character, Depthswalker and Hashan both fit it (and each fits together in my mind) but I'm not worried about it being factional. I'm going to play how I want, my character will interpret her skills in line with her ideology. Really I wish some of the hardcoded faction aspects were gone. Necromancers in Targossas makes no sense, obviously, but I think Targossas making that law would suffice. No need for Anathema.

tl;dr Depthswalker is cool. Hashan is cool. They're cool together and I'm content to RP that.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Jacen said:
    I'm not asking for a divine mandate, or a theology. I'm asking for an ideology, something that defines the will of Hashan. Something that gives a reason to engage in conflict, for people to go and effect Hashan's will in the world. What we have been given is a neutral, don't care what's going on in the world stance.

Will it cull the population down? Certainly. But if we're to be the shadow-themed (not anymore, right?) Cyrene, I wish that would just come out and be said, and the effort and investment stop being wasted.
    Right, and my point is that you should stop asking for an identity to be handed to you. Take the large, excited population that you are lucky to have, and encourage the different factions to pursue their own ends while still contributing to the whole. I wasn't saying you should "be" Cyrene, I was saying that no one handed Cyrene a ready-made identity, its identity evolved naturally as different factions carved out their niches, loosely united under the one general idea of "leave us alone". You guys have the Wellspring as your one general idea, so brainstorm and run with that as best you can, but let Hashan's identity build itself instead of trying to invent one and force it down your players' throats.

You're wishing that your city was homogeneous, that everyone in the city operated under the same guiding principles, and that everything the city did advanced that one driving goal. I'm saying that's dull, and we already have 4 cities doing that, and it's really not as fun as it sounds. That's actually Cyrene's problem right now; it was diverse and dynamic, but it's become homogeneous and has been bleeding players that don't conform to the majority stereotype. You could say that Cyrene is more "united" than ever, as a result, but it's also become very stagnant.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Aerek said:
    Jacen said:

Right, and my point is that you should stop asking for an identity to be handed to you. Take the large, excited population that you are lucky to have, and encourage the different factions to pursue their own ends while still contributing to the whole. I wasn't saying you should "be" Cyrene, I was saying that no one handed Cyrene a ready-made identity, its identity evolved naturally as different factions carved out their niches, loosely united under the one general idea of "leave us alone". You guys have the Wellspring as your one general idea, so brainstorm and run with that as best you can, but let Hashan's identity build itself instead of trying to invent one and force it down your players' throats.

You're wishing that your city was homogeneous, that everyone in the city operated under the same guiding principles, and that everything the city did advanced that one driving goal. I'm saying that's dull, and we already have 4 cities doing that, and it's really not as fun as it sounds. That's actually Cyrene's problem right now; it was diverse and dynamic, but it's become homogeneous and has been bleeding players that don't conform to the majority stereotype. You could say that Cyrene is more "united" than ever, as a result, but it's also become very stagnant.
    I don't fundamentally disagree with any of what you're saying, but I feel like what you want to happen is impossible. There's at minimum my entire playtime (7 or 8 years worth) of Hashan trying to do what you're saying and failing. Even at our peak times, its never hinged on an ideology, but one, maybe two active players. Once they move or go dormant, it falls apart again. It would be great if it could happen, and maybe I'm unaware of it happening on a city-state scale in the past, but I just don't think it can. 

From this side, it really feels like there's a lot of hate from people who have been given everything I'm asking for, who are saying we have such a great opportunity and its so cool, but no one will make the switch over to Hashan. They still somehow deem it not worth it.

I do appreciate your unique perspective, though. You were that guy in Cyrene. You probably have a superior perspective on it. After nearly a decade of trying, along with many other people, I just don't think it can happen.
  • I for one enjoy factional classes. If they were done away with every city would be so homogenized and boring. 
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • edited November 2016
    Brain: No
    Fingers: yolo
  • Hellen said:
    Jacen said:
     For Hashan, its what its doing, which can easily be proven to be pointless and ineffective, undermining Hashan's core.
     This is the time to set in protections from the corruption that infested Hashan (and still have it's sticky tendrils there).

Like it or not, I suspect we have a window of maybe a few months now to answer "What's a Hashan?". Do not fuck up several months of cultural shift and civil war we had to excise the corruption that was so deep in Hashan. Make it count.

• Can we get back to where you people teach me how to do stuff with this class... 

kthx

• Trey said:
    Meme
    I have literally been thinking that line with every post I read.  Well played

• @Sena how do the values for Dexterity and strength play in with this class, also intelligence too. 

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Deladan said:
    @Sena how do the values for Dexterity and strength play in with this class, also intelligence too. 
    Dexterity might affect how far you can push your age? My cap was 1400 years when dex specced and I'm down to 1000 years full con spec.
    Huh. Neat.