Saddest moment

What has been the saddest moment for your character, or for you as the player as it relates to your character? Why did it suck? What came of it?
Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"

Comments

• I was actually online when Lady Selene was killed and I was absolutely heartbroken. Trilliana was as well, but she was a Senator at the time and focusing on the city was more important than her grief. It's something that keeps making me go dormant, to be honest. The Order was her family and nothing can repair that, so dormancy is the only option I can see for Trilliana.

Lord Phaestus would have been my only other choice for joining an Order, but with Him gone, there's no real connection to try to latch onto and join another family.
    meh

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Losing Selene.

Even with the build up to it happening and knowing that it was inevitable, watching it all unfold before my eyes just left me grief-stricken. Selene turned up just a few months after I started playing, and being Beloved from such a young age shaped the way that Kyrra evolved as a person. It was years of interactions and such an investment into my character and her history, that it was such a devastating loss to experience.

While I cried for about two weeks over it, Kyrra got left in mourning for such a long time as a result. The loss left her closed off and a little jaded about things, more so when some people would try to emotionally manipulate her and tarnish her memories.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    you cried IRL?  I was a little annoyed that the Templars went down but Shallam was just so broken at the time it felt more like euthanasia more than anything.
  • Aodfionn said:
    What has been the saddest moment for your character, or for you as the player as it relates to your character? Why did it suck? What came of it?
    Was yours bombing the Genji delegation?

• SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Achilles said:
    you cried IRL?  I was a little annoyed that the Templars went down but Shallam was just so broken at the time it felt more like euthanasia more than anything.
    OMG ACHILLES.... your friggin signature makes me want a prime rib.

Also... did you get your goddamn stocking yet???

• For Annie, when Sothantos came out of the Caverns of Enheduanna with an opened-up torso and no eyes (that was hardcore). Ended up being a catalyst to move to Eleusis, though, which was pretty good! 

For me, when Aldair stopped playing. It sucked because Aldair actually used to drive me to do a lot of City/Order stuff, which I don't do nearly as much of anymore. Hard to feel connected when someone like that is out (specially without saying goodbye or anything). I miss Aldair :( 
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Trey said:
    Aodfionn said:
    Was yours bombing the Genji delegation?

lol wut. who jizzed in your cheerios, bro? i don't quite understand the source of the constant salt, but if you ever feel keen on sharing, feel free to PM me!

My saddest moment was excommunicating Elowen, and the 45 minutes of interaction that preceded it. That was the one moment where I really questioned whether or not I wanted to roll with Team Good.  
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Constant salt? Lol. Salt would imply that I'm disappointed, not poking fun at you. Carry on though.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    We finished the plague event, but no Neroes. :(

When I came back from dormancy and I'd been removed from order and Aegis was dormant... And so was Hermes. I'd been so dormant he'd come and gone before I came back

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    Cleaning up all of those Xoran dead bodies was pretty brutal.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
    Halos said:
    Cleaning up all of those Xoran dead bodies was pretty brutal.
    "Get the mop!!"

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited April 2016
    This is a really hard choice. Mel's been through so many moments of despair, agony, and sadness. I probably could list about twenty of them, and I'm sure plenty of others could name several that rank in the top five easily.

But if I really have to pick a single one, I'd go with the moment she found out that the one person she never expected to break an important oath, despite everything else going on (much of which was her own fault), actually did. I think it shattered her world and her faith in a way Targossas only dreamed it could have done. She's still picking up those pieces and trying to make a mosaic of them to disguise the true nature of it from others.

Beyond that somewhat vague answer, the second (and more known) moment would be the first excommunication. The second just made for a very bitter experience that is deeply embedded forever, while the first was the real devastation, uncertainty, and loss of confidence and place in the world. Which, in contrast, made the redemption probably one of her highest moments in her complex life history - even today, she's not really been able to replicate that feeling of triumph over adversity and doubt. Not yet.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Dajio getting unshrubbed constantly is always a big downer.

Convos with Piera and Elly when Ryzeth finally decided to leave Ashtan, after living there for so long, were kinda sad.

Nothing else springs much to mind.
  • I know it's kind of arbitrary but I don't mind like Kastalia/Melantha getting axed since afaik no one was even in their orders anymore and no one had seen the gods in years. But Selene/Indrani/some others had active orders and were still doing things right before it happened and I'm not sure why they had to go.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Kastalia was active of the time of her axeing, with an active (if small) Order, including with well-respected players (like Iocun).

Generally very much agree on what's been said about Gods getting axed, though. While culling some was a good idea, it seems overdone.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Oh well then not Kastalia, but you know what I mean.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    edited April 2016
    Yeah I do wonder why some Gods got axed and others didn't. Lady Selene wasn't SUPER active like Phaestus and Scarlatti (at the time), but she was pretty consistent to the point where I'd say she wasn't ever dormant, at least during the time I got to be in her Order. Also, had a pretty active Order at the time... like, more members than a lot of "active" Orders that are still around. I know Lord Prospero has at least two members still, but other than during the Bal'met event I haven't seen him around at all and wonder why maybe he didn't get cut from the list of remaining divine. On the other hand, he's always seemed fascinating and since he's still alive I do hope one day a Celani will take interest when getting promoted to a God role and will choose him because I'd really like to see what he's like.

Edit: Also, a lot of those members from Selene's Order are still active to this day, so it would've remained a decent sized Order.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• edited April 2016
    When I realized Covenant wouldn't be there to lead Eleusis/Sentinels anymore.

And when Gaia dispersed her essence throughout the woods to cure them. (The Gaia of a looong time ago!)

That reminds me, for those of us who were here, it was really sad what happened to Lord Sarapis and Lady Maya in the Bal'met event. That was some great storytelling.

• Don't really have a lot that would qualify as a saddest moment on Nataliia. She's too young. And really, I'm still trying to figure out what pair of (proverbial) shoes she fits into. Ever have a character that's just not quite "clicking" somehow? Yeah. That.

But over the years and different lives I'd say I agree that the nixing of various Gods was probably the most disappointing thing that has happened. I was there for the divine child war, sleepless for a couple days and on red bulls or monsters or whatever the hell was the go-to energy drink at the time because the event was awesome.  And then, second to (old-school-disband-his-order-every-other-day) Twilight, my favorite Goddess came about by way of Indrani (the original, not sure how many times that one changed hands). It should say something that I wasn't even playing Achaea at the time when I heard about the event that offed her, and was still crushed by the thought. :(

I have always been an avid lover of Divine RP. I think it adds SO much flavor to Achaea. It suddenly stops being a "player run order" and goes back to its natural state of players actually having to believe in the God they're following and the theology behind it, instead of just being in it for the nostalgia or their order rank or whatever else.

I also miss seeing zaps on the daily (please don't take that as an invitation Garden!) But they were pretty funny to watch back in the day, as were the Divine shouting matches.

But yeah, back on topic. If I had to think of something even remotely sad with Nataliia, it'd be that she lost someone she really cares about due to a fundamental difference in personal views. Won't get into the details, but that's always a hard one to swallow.
  • Kayeil said:
    Yeah I do wonder why some Gods got axed and others didn't.
    It seems like the two priorities were reducing the number of gods in the more factionally aligned cities (Mhaldor went from 3-4 to 1 and Good from 4 to 2), and the pretty much complete elimination of gods not tied to an organization. Out of the surviving "neutral" gods, the survivors were something like Phaestus, Naraeos, and Scarlatti (all of whom have pretty strong ties to Cyrene), Vastar (who's ideology was replaced with Chaos/Ashtan when he showed up again), Prospero and Pandora (with natural thematic ties to the neutral houses), Valnurana (obvious reasons), and Lorielan, who seems like the only truly unattached god now (she's also an elder god, which probably upped her chances of survival).

There's probably reasons why that isn't the most accurate theory explaining it, but it's how it's generally felt to me. While it does have the advantage of most god roles being in a good position to thematically act as a patron to organizations, it's left few character options outside of the established major ideologies (which themselves are more factional then ever, but that's a different debate). 

Personally, even if they had to kill of/otherwise remove a god, I wish they'd left some support for the remaining order persisting as an organization. It seems like most orders just folded up shop when their god died, for obvious reasons, but orders often exist without the god around at the time, so I wonder if some mechanical/rp support couldn't have saved them in some form or another. I don't know, it would have required a different philosophy then was used for Bal'met and the renaissance, but might have preserved some very interesting facets of the game that now persist only in memory.

@Nakari -- I do know some of those Gods who were "offed" still play, just as other Gods now. I think one of my biggest curiosities left over is if those people behind the Gods who were killed had any choice in the matter, or if they were told "sorry, deleting your god, please pick another from this short list." Either way it would've been interesting, whether they were just bored and wanted to try something new, or what it would've been liking filling entirely different shoes from what they've been used to.