Classless Discussion Q1 2016

Comments

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Sylvan isn't really that broken, it's just the speed at which it gets to its end game. All Momentum-based classes take 20-30 seconds to build to the point they kill you. Sylvan does it in 10 seconds, with amazing hindrance the whole way. The damage is good, the damage needs to be lethal. (Think it scales a bit too well with artefacts, but otherwise fine) The class dynamic is good, it has tiered setups for easy, more-complex, and most-complex kill options. It just needs to take a little longer. Any class that can't kill Sylvan in 10 seconds has to run every 10 seconds to keep from getting nuked, which makes it impossible to actually fight them as some classes. (Like other momentum classes that take 2x as long to get their tempers/fracks/Hecate)

Tael said:
    Several of the blademaster classleads are so frustrating to read.

There's a classlead about compasslash suggesting it's basically useless when it's actually completely essential to getting double breaks without having to do wonky stance-switching stuff that's far, far more complicated.

People think that there's no possible way to get double breaks without having a limbcounter and doing a ton of testing, which is completely wrong - you can figure out the appropriate count with a single test break.
    I haven't read whatever this compasslash classlead is, and I agree that Compass is fine the way it is, (though Drawslash can be used for the same thing) but I disagree with any statement that remotely implies Blademaster counting is "easy", "reasonable", or that you "just have to know the 'secret'". That's false. I've spent the last 6 months perfecting a BM counter, and I still can't account for certain stances or variances, and miss setups by .1 or .3 hits on a regular basis. (For clarity, that's .1 "weak-side slashes in Sanya")

Sure, a quick break can give you an easy estimate of their breakpoint, and then you can alternate slashes via Airfist, and your mid-tier, knows-little opponent will die. But someone who knows how and when to switch parry, someone who breaks their own leg and fouls your 1.5:1 ratio, someone who can hinder/kill you fast enough that you can't afford to dick around with alternating slashes, or someone who has any means to change their breakpoint throughout the fight (Bards' Aria, Alchemists' Enhancement), means that you need to know -exactly- when they break, within tenths of weak-side hits. Not only does that take an impressive counting suite, right now it means that you really can't switch stances without risking your end-game, which locks out a lot of BM's intended flexibility.

Frankly, BM is OP in the endgame, there's a few setups that you really can't avoid, yet no one plays it. There's a reason for that. I watch a lot of new players pick this class out of the intro, because it's anime samurai and it's awesome. But to this day, -zero- of the players who have come through the Shield as BMs have actually stuck with it, because the amount of knowledge, effort, and precision it takes to achieve basic competency is just way out of line when they can go nearly any other class and start logging kills in a day or two. (On top of the awful hunting)
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Penwize said:
    Hm, I thought alchemist was EQ, so I was wrong about that one.  I'll grant you apostate doesn't really have much,  yeah.  Shaman's artie boosts its overall speed by around 7%, which isn't much, yeah, but helps I guess?  Jester can use artie handaxes to speed up its juggling delivery a bunch, though I haven't fought a good one in so long I'm not even sure if that's very helpful these days.
    Literally crap on Patroklos 3 Artie hand axes with my forged ones. 0 point to waste money on them, they don't help anything in the long run either. And juggle target throw doesn't even do viable limb damage. Only viable Jester artefacts are golden cube and shackle(rip the lameness) 
  • Arty handaxes are barely faster with juggle because of the way juggle scales. Regardless, none of those classes care much at all about offensive arties to be top tier.

• edited March 2016
    Aerek said:
    I watch a lot of new players pick this class out of the intro, because it's anime samurai and it's awesome. But to this day, -zero- of the players who have come through the Shield as BMs have actually stuck with it, because the amount of knowledge, effort, and precision it takes to achieve basic competency is just way out of line when they can go nearly any other class and start logging kills in a day or two. (On top of the awful hunting)
    I definitely never said BM limb damage was simple or easy. Actually tracking BM breaks is very complicated - a lot more complicated than other classes. Trying to build a general-purpose system that will predict when prep is ready from someone's max health, even if you change stances mid-prep, is really hard, particularly when they're trying to complicate it by hitting themselves with limb damage.

But it is absolutely not true that basic competency is really hard to achieve or, as the classlead suggests, it's impossible to know how to prep without using someone's counter script. BM can use a test break to know the exact count (not an approximation) with barely more effort than any other limb class:

Alternate slashes until something breaks. If it double breaks, congrats, you know the count. If it single-breaks, compass the unbroken limb to reset it, and the count is 1 compass to each side and 1 less alternating slash than it took to break. And since you know how many slashes you need on each side now, you don't even have to do them alternating - you only have to alternate for your test break.

Sure, that's going to be too slow against some opponents and good parrying will make it frustrating and you might have to use airfist and enhancement will be a problem and it means you can't change stances, but it's absolutely workable as a strategy that provides basic competency. Like you said - it's a strategy that can allow you to compete with mid-tier people. That's exactly what basic competency means, no?

It's not so much more complicated or much less doable than doing a test break as any other limb class. It's not so complicated that no lowbie could be expected to understand it and it's a far cry from impossibility which is what the classleads I was talking about suggested.
  • To clarify: BM is really, really hard once you go beyond that basic level, I absolutely agree with you on that and that's something probably deserving of attention. But it's not what I or the classleads I was talking about were talking about - they were talking about how there's no basic strategy for BM akin to test breaks that other limb classes can use, which is just not true. It's a common misconception, largely because people don't understand what compass exists for, which is connected to my criticism of the classlead that said compass slash is useless because why would you ever choose to hit one limb when you could hit two (not because drawslash can do the same thing, which I'm pretty sure you're correct in suggesting it can).
  • Tael said:
    To clarify: BM is really, really hard once you go beyond that basic level
    Don't you just airfist RNG into double leg prep, that torso aff thing, double break then bladetwist into brokenstar? Dat prep speed :unamused: 

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • edited March 2016
    Tael said:
    To clarify: BM is really, really hard once you go beyond that basic level
    Don't you just airfist RNG into double leg prep, that torso aff thing, double break then bladetwist into brokenstar? Dat prep speed :unamused: 
    Against plebs who let you stick a pre impaleslassh.

Against anyone else you're gonna need to break torso to stand a chance, which means a quad prep.

Impaleslassh isn't a salve affliction, it's timed (30s).

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited March 2016
    Atalkez said:
    Dochitha said:
    Ideas
    I don't think you're considering what this would do to group combat, if you made this change. Making them incurable would completely change how the class operates, and what it can do, how it interacts with others - and is basically an entire re-work of the class. Shouldn't need that!

I don't even think paralysis is bad to have for the class, the only real issue that I see is the speed at which alchie can paralyse. Really it's never a good idea to prio humours (which is different than other affliction classes(not occie), in that their non-para aff at some point can be prioritized to set back their offense) except for behind shield spam for 40s to rotate between the afflictions and the humours. That's not fun for anyone involved, imo.

Which is why alchie doesn't need a change. There are more and more people able to fight against an alchie now, and myself doesn't have as much problem fighting an alchie (compared to before I was an alchie). I honestly feel fighting serpent / apostate / occie a lot worse than fighting against an alchie (perhaps even monk too, it feels like obliterate is back). Alchie is quite fine now, there are a number of ways people can delay an alchie, reset their offense, troll them, give them huge frustration... It's in a fine spot and I think the fluid vs aff is great design.

But like @Antonius said, making inundate more predictable to afford people greater defense over alchie seems like a good idea, like limiting if humours > 6 it will reset in a time period, forcing an inundate to happen.

• Honestly, it's way beyond the scope of classleads, but I think BM could use a pretty fundamental rethinking similar to what monk got: keep the basic constructs, but rework how they fit together, rework things that are just boring simple passive effects, add some variety, etc.

The stances are uninspiring as just stat boosts just like monk stances were (and switching stances alone make the limb counting problem way harder), the infusions aren't really that interesting, pommelstrike looping is really aesthetically awkward (a samurai/ninja that's all about their special blade fighting by...not using the blade? Whacking someone with the pommel over and over?), the kill routes are pretty unidimensional (it feels like reworking infusions to offer different goals might be a possible direction for that?), and even the basic kill route is really thematically strange - brokenstar is awesome, but the fact that the normal way to get into it is to knock someone over, impale them, and twist the blade a bunch of times while they're lying there has always struck me as really weird. It sounds absolutely nothing like what Blademasters do in the game's fiction and I don't think it accords with the fantasy of being an agile samurai/ninja person at all.
  • edited March 2016
    (EDIT: adding to the above post, edit window passed while I finished writing...)

You don't have to shield spam 40s. Let them inundate, shield off the inundate. Inundate goes thru shield, but the combo which does the killing, ie truewrack that seals the lock or educe iron that damages etc won't go through shield. That means they wasted their progress and have to restart humour prep. Problem is, it's hard to predict when an alchie is going to inundate, though it's generally obvious which path they are taking, hence giving clue to what prerequisite they need to complete the kill. If you don't give them the pre-req, even if they inundate they are just gonna waste it. 

I have wasted so many lock attempts (with humour prepped) just because of a single tree, passive proc, fool etc in between 2.7s truewrack that won't race herb balance without the help of mercury homun.

I have wasted so many sanguine kills, even by holding up bleeding in corruption, people have ways to heal up, crystal, manual clot down in corruption, leaving the room to manage all these.

Not to mention tempering good enough to have them leave the room, fly about, and totally reset the progress. I already chase pretty well, bonus fluid cure in the absense of alchie is very significant. These are still very strong defense against alchie.

And against any classes that can hinder alchie better (ie Fang serps, apostates, bard, shaman), or race it's speed (sylvan, occie), or totally play at their own terms (monk, SNB), or has hangedman, transfix, aerial on demand... Alchie does need to work for the kill, it's not as easy or as potent (think autowin) as people think it is.

I am not saying that because I have an alchie. I just see alchie as it's defendable, it's resettable, it's stoppable, and certain classes are weaker against alchie, and other classes are stronger against alchie, not any different from other aff classes.
    edited March 2016
    Tael said:
    To clarify: BM is really, really hard once you go beyond that basic level, I absolutely agree with you on that and that's something probably deserving of attention. But it's not what I or the classleads I was talking about were talking about - they were talking about how there's no basic strategy for BM akin to test breaks that other limb classes can use, which is just not true. It's a common misconception, largely because people don't understand what compass exists for, which is connected to my criticism of the classlead that said compass slash is useless because why would you ever choose to hit one limb when you could hit two (not because drawslash can do the same thing, which I'm pretty sure you're correct in suggesting it can).
    Right, you're arguing technicalities and ignorances in the language of a verbose and exaggerated classlead, (which is the norm in classleads, really) but the underlying issue it presents is still valid. The whole report could have read "BM counting is a bitch, DSL Knight has this nice thing" and giving BM Predict would still be a great idea. I shelled out for Sawbones, myself, so that I can make sure I've completely reset an opponent after something goes wrong.

I still take issue with your characterization of BM testing, ("possible" ~= "reasonable", and "accurate within 1 hit" really isn't accurate by BM standards) and we differ on what's reasonable for base competency, but I suppose that's neither here nor there if you're focused on just that one classlead.

Edit: I actually like the stances. The balance of tradeoffs make each one suitable for different situations, and it's a little known fact that each stance prolongs its corresponding Fist abilities. You just rarely see them used because of how much they complicate your counting situation. Fix that, and I'd swap stances all the time. But hey, if you wanted to let me switch stance for free after an attack, I'd take that in a heartbeat.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited March 2016
    Aerek said:
    stuff
    I don't think it's just an issue of exaggeration though. I think a huge number of people really legitimately think that you can't just do a test break to get a count as a BM. I think this because those people constantly express exactly that, both in-game and on the forums. Given the way the classlead was written, I suspect that whoever wrote it thinks that's the case.

And the test-breaking isn't "accurate within 1 hit" - it's completely, 100% accurate assuming you don't change stances, they don't damage their own limbs, and they don't change their health. It means you have to do a test break and smart opponents will do those things that make it innaccurate, which means it isn't going to work for top-tier fighting, but it doesn't seem that unreasonable to me as a way to achieve basic competency. I don't think it's too much to ask a newbie to learn "alternate slashes until something breaks, if it only breaks one thing, next time do a compass slash to each limb first". That's not exactly rocket science. And it's abundantly easier than getting started with most affliction classes.

I'm not in any way against giving BM Predict. I think that's a great idea. But it's just not true that BM is somehow uniquely horrible for achieving the basic ability to get a double break - there just don't seem to be enough people in the game who know how to explain the pretty simple mechanics of a test break to aspiring BM lowbies. The advice always just goes straight to "you'll need a limb counter to even get started", whereas people generally explain how to fight with test breaks first when helping people start with other limb classes.

Re the stances, I don't think they're awful, I just don't think they're terribly inspiring, especially compared to the new monk stances - which is probably unsurprising since they were clearly based off of the old monk stances. I'm also not sure how the limb damage could be normalised across them without changing them. If they all did the same limb damage, they'd have to be redesigned at least a little bit - thyr would just be faster prep (who cares if it also does less health damage?), mir defense, and why use any others? Without at least some adjustments, normalising the limb damage would just make the useful stances even narrower. Didn't know about the fist stuff though - that's really interesting!
  • ii shield
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You are holding:
    Misc:
       shield212612        a Shield of Absorption

You are wearing:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 items were shown.

22:44:14.847 6081h, 5191m, 24536e, 20444w Shin:[] excdbkh 5.2%xp- Target: None [ST:   Rage:0]
    wield shield

True warriors have no need for shields.

@everyone asking if we can wield shields to bash as blademasters.
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • If Lucaine Pyramides accidentally pulled all the spiders in mirror cave I bet he would at least consider wielding a SoA for a moment. 
  • Dude would have used his scabbard to block like the kick ass mother fucking Blademaster he was.
  • @Makarios can you comment on alchemist's too, as in the concern over forces choices and it's primary intent being lock or fluid?
  • edited March 2016
    I'm a page late, I suppose, but what I've always disliked about damage as a strategy is that it always seems to be balanced around flat damage numbers rather then scaling, which produces some pretty silly results. This seems to be the case with dual blunt and 2-handed right now, where depending on the balance of artifacts the class can two shot someone, be balanced and interesting, or utterly ineffective. Not being able to stand in a room for 10 seconds against a sylvan may be shitty, but not being able to stand in a room for more then five against dual blunt is boring as heck. 

• Regarding alchemist, forcing difficult choices is a big part of combat. I do think alchemist is currently in that position of "a sum 0 choice is no choice at all", though. Its a very difficult thing to change without major impact across the whole class unfortunately, so you'll have to wait for approvals for anything more concrete than that. Sorry.
  • Dochitha said:
    I have wasted so many lock attempts (with humour prepped) just because of a single tree, passive proc, fool etc in between 2.7s truewrack that won't race herb balance without the help of mercury homun.

Where exactly did you get 2.7 seconds from? Base truewrack balance is 2.8 seconds, Nimble alone takes that down to 2.52. Having the correct humours tempered for the afflictions you're using in truewrack reduces that further to about 2.2-2.3 seconds.

If you don't have Nimble or you're not taking advantage of the speed increase by tempering correctly that's sort of your own fault.

edited March 2016
    Rangor said:
    I find that most people who die to the '12' second Sylvan electrify generally don't know what it is, has 0 defensive buffs (resistance rings and miniskills ), don't know they have defensive abilities to counter it or doesn't know when to fly. Mainly they are face smashing their aff tracker and they die. 

On the other side, electrify has insane artied unprepped burst no matter how you look at it.

My pet pete is how easy it is for new apostates to stack and lock with fast, shield and rebounding penetrating, on demand aff. I swear medi locks me before I can even electrify unless I where aerial. Poor sods those who can't get out of graveyards! This momentum, with easy room hinder. Oooooooopppppppp.
    I don't necessarily disagree with this, but I'm usually arguing from the perspective of the "little guy". We all complain that there's no "new blood" in the combat scene, and part of that problem is that so many of our classes are balanced around the high-tier crowd that has all the miniskills and escape/utility artefacts, that the little guy really has no chance against anyone good. When a combat-interested midbie who doesn't have miniskills, who can't fly, who doesn't have wings, and has 4k health to their name comes to me about a class like Sylvan (and others) saying "How do I survive this?" I basically have to say, "Yeah, you haven't spent enough money to fight that class yet."

That's harsh, and that discourages people would would otherwise like to get into it, so I would be mindful about statements that start with "All you need is..." and think about how expensive that "all you need" really is. If you're going to tell me that Galvanism and a Ring of Flying is required to fight your class, I'm gonna say that class needs to be reigned in a little.
  • edited March 2016
    Antonius said:
    Dochitha said:

Where exactly did you get 2.7 seconds from? Base truewrack balance is 2.8 seconds, Nimble alone takes that down to 2.52. Having the correct humours tempered for the afflictions you're using in truewrack reduces that further to about 2.2-2.3 seconds.

If you don't have Nimble or you're not taking advantage of the speed increase by tempering correctly that's sort of your own fault.

2.52s is right. It won't further reduce to 2.2-2.3s. Only wracks are affected by affliction-in-the-pool speed reduction, truewrack doesn't get that speed increase benefit, and it doesn't need to. And yes I am nimble and I can temper and lock pretty fast. I am not complaining anything about alchie, I am super happy with alchie, don't get me wrong. I was trying to find how alchie can be balanced without breaking the class.
  • You kinda have to use curseward against them or out afflict them. I think their momentum is slightly stronger than occie because of how easily Stain eliminates the bloodroot portion of rng locking, plus para control.

Very easy class to play too, since you don't track limb damage/3rd balances, just DSL like affs while using the same locking sequence on everyone + passive affs.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • It's either affected or the base speed listed for truewrack in the AB file is slower than it actually is, because I just tested truewrack with the humours for both afflictions I was using tempered, and it was considerably faster than 2.52 seconds. Unfortunately I didn't think to test with only one of the corresponding humours tested and I've just logged out to go get some stuff done.

• edited March 2016
    Aerek said:
    Rangor said:
    I find that most people who die to the '12' second Sylvan electrify generally don't know what it is, has 0 defensive buffs (resistance rings and miniskills ), don't know they have defensive abilities to counter it or doesn't know when to fly. Mainly they are face smashing their aff tracker and they die. 

On the other side, electrify has insane artied unprepped burst no matter how you look at it.

My pet pete is how easy it is for new apostates to stack and lock with fast, shield and rebounding penetrating, on demand aff. I swear medi locks me before I can even electrify unless I where aerial. Poor sods those who can't get out of graveyards! This momentum, with easy room hinder. Oooooooopppppppp.
    I don't necessarily disagree with this, but I'm usually arguing from the perspective of the "little guy". We all complain that there's no "new blood" in the combat scene, and part of that problem is that so many of our classes are balanced around the high-tier crowd that has all the miniskills and escape/utility artefacts, that the little guy really has no chance against anyone good. When a combat-interested midbie who doesn't have miniskills, who can't fly, who doesn't have wings, and has 4k health to their name comes to me about a class like Sylvan (and others) saying "How do I survive this?" I basically have to say, "Yeah, you haven't spent enough money to fight that class yet."

That's harsh, and that discourages people would would otherwise like to get into it, so I would be mindful about statements that start with "All you need is..." and think about how expensive that "all you need" really is. If you're going to tell me that Galvanism and a Ring of Flying is required to fight your class, I'm gonna say that class needs to be reigned in a little.
    little guy fighting an unartied sylvan should be able to manage. He'd get completely wrecked by a lvl 3 dirk serpent or unartied apostate too. Dunno why sylvan is special there.

That's not a sylvan problem, that's the design of the game.
  • Antonius said:

It's either affected or the base speed listed for truewrack in the AB file is slower than it actually is, because I just tested truewrack with the humours for both afflictions I was using tempered, and it was considerably faster than 2.52 seconds. Unfortunately I didn't think to test with only one of the corresponding humours tested and I've just logged out to go get some stuff done.

I've never seen a boost to truewrack, but it's admittedly been a long time since I tested. I was of the belief only wrack was affected, like Dochitha.

• Rangor said:
    Aerek said:
    Rangor said:

little guy fighting an unartied sylvan should be able to manage. He'd get completely wrecked by a lvl 3 dirk serpent or unartied apostate too. Dunno why sylvan is special there.

That's not a sylvan problem, that's the design of the game.
    Eh. You don't need arties to survive sylvan. Shield and tumble work fine. I do think it's a problem how little effort is needed to force shield though. It doesn't require the sylvan to have any actual momentum, just AP. To me, that's the issue.
  • edited March 2016
    I just told @Rangor in-game, like why all balancing / classleads end up nerfing a class.

I'd really prefer keeping the classes OP, but give counter play to other classes against the class. That's more skill-based and fun. Like Alchie's educe tin at the right time completely counters and backfire electrify. Things like this makes combat fun, skill oriented, and you don't have to run-to-survive, which like @Aerek and others pointed out, isn't fun.

Could we stop nerfing classes, but think of adding abilities that provides counter play? (It could be some counter play that's specific towards certain strategies.)
  • It's harder to add a counter to a single ability for the majority of classes than it is to change one ability to make it more manageable.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.