Hail, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Essays and House Requirements

12346»

Comments

• IocunIocun Member Posts: 3,506 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited November 2012
    That being said, even "that's the only house that would take me" can be a perfectly valid RP justification - although it often wouldn't be a smart thing to say it so bluntly. Keep in mind that it actually makes sense for a novice not to join a house for its deepest philosophies, since from the outside, they simply wouldn't know all that much about all houses. You join them because they are a fit for your class, city, because they have a cool name, because your friend recommended them - all reasons that can apply as much IC as OOC.

Iocun will freely admit that he joined the Mojushai primarily since it was a monk guild and he wanted to be a monk, and of all monk guilds it seemed to be the best fit. All the feelings of a deep connectedness with the guild/house's ideals came quite a bit later, when he had actually studied and lived there for several years.
    DelphinusArillesNimHalos
  • MannimarMannimar Member Posts: 973
    @Delphinus I sit down and work with true newbies and help them flesh out a better response. I guess I should correct what I said to be more along the lines of when told you need something more as an explanation, and you have a few examples to pull from, then don't give that as your reason. I make an effort to sit down with anyone who is struggling with that so that they can have a basic idea of where to start with building their roleplay.

@Iocun while I can see how that may be appropriate for some Houses, I find that for the more niche Houses like the Ty Beirdd and the Spirit Walkers, that that type of answer can be detrimental to your interaction. Especially when I commonly task novices with getting to know full house members, and ask questions like "Why did you join the House?". I want to prepare them for when they are in that situation. I'm not looking for something outrageously detailed like some older house members may have. Just something simple, something basic.

I think that the answer is dependent on the type of House you're dealing with, and in a House like the Wardens, that type of answer might work to a certain extent. I will sit down with a novice if I see them struggling, and help address it, albeit a little OOCly. If someone joined the CiJ and were asked that type of question... I'd like to see "Because I want to perform.", and then if they were asked "Why did you join us instead of Ty Beirdd?", I think using the class barrier would be adequate.

• RoveldaRovelda Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    A newbie would not know what is the Ty Beirdd.

Well, I don't know what is the Ty Beirdd!
    SylvanceTvistorIdelisa
  • SylvanceSylvance Member Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Rovelda said:
    A newbie would not know what is the Ty Beirdd.

Well, I don't know what is the Ty Beirdd!
    As much as I lol'd at this, it's actually a fairly good point.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
12346»
Sign In to Comment.