Another Language Thread

If I were a gambling man, I'd bet that this idea probably deals with legacy code so archaic that it's up there with the weather code on the list of "Shit we wouldn't touch with an NSA cryptoanalyst team," but here we go anyway:

Let me first establish that I *like* language learning's soft-cap, and that you have to choose your lessons carefully. That makes language fluency special, while still giving long-term goals because you technically *could*, with enough time, effort, and money, speak *all* the languages. I like that, and this idea is not to try and change anything about that.

What I don't like, and what I think leaves a bad taste in the mouth of a lot of folks who have complained about languages over the years, is that language learning is prohibitively expensive in part because perfect fluency is required for any reasonable use. This makes language learning an all-or-nothing affair, learning to speak a "broken" dialect, or being half fluent, is simply not an option because of how the random word substitution works. A lot of us probably have some half-finished languages lying around that we'll never complete, and those represent wasted investments because the first 20 lessons or so are useless to us unless/until we take it all the way to the end, because we simply cannot understand or be understood until that point.

I won't pretend to know the underlying mechanics, but the game seems to makes a random dice roll on what words you say/hear correctly the first time you hear or say them, and then remembers that same combination of words for some length of time, so even if you're half fluent in a language, saying the same thing 5 times comes out like:

Aerek tells you in Mhun, "The quick brown beezior mainly over the lazy destruction."
Aerek tells you in Mhun, "The quick brown beezior mainly over the lazy destruction."

Even though this example was actually a fairly lucky dice roll at half fluency, (66% correct) it's still impossible to actually know what you heard correctly and what you didn't, so almost nigh impossible to suss out what someone's trying to say, and asking them to repeat themselves doesn't help at all.

What I'd like to see is the random word substitution replaced with the same mechanics we see in MUTTER, where letters and words are randomly replaced with periods, and those periods will actually shift around if the phrase is repeated, like so:

Aerek mutters, "The quick br... fox jump. .ver t.. la.. ...."
Aerek mutters, "... quick brown ..x ....s ...r ..e l... .og."
Aerek mutters, "... qu... .ro.. fox jumps o... .he l... dog."
Aerek mutters, "The quick ..... fox ....s .v.. the lazy do.."
Aerek mutters, "Th. ..... bro.. ... .umps over the l... ..g."

This does three things:
  1. Makes it obvious what you heard correctly and what you didn't, which would allow you to pick up correct context and make informed guesses as to what you're hearing.
  2. Would actually allow someone to repeat themselves to help you understand, which I find to be more realistic and desirable than getting screwed by an unlucky, one-time vocabulary roll.
  3. Makes individual language lessons more valuable, as 50%-75% fluency would actually be reasonable to speak a "broken" dialect. (Provided the period substitution rate was weighted per language lesson.)
This doesn't change the desire/allure for perfect fluency, and doesn't make it easier to become perfectly fluent, but it does mean that knowing "basic Human" or "minimal Troll" can actually be useful to you, and that those half-learned languages aren't completely wasted investments until you finish them.
-- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.

Comments

• While I do agree that the current way language learning works probably needs to be looked at (I too hate that even if I'm half way to fluent I'll still have a nearly impossible time understanding anything), I'm not sure this is the way to go. I've studied a few languages myself, and the thing is that if you don't know a word you just don't know it. It wouldn't make sense for someone to repeat something five times and for you to understand different words each time. It would amount to understanding all the words. Except you also somehow forget certain words as you suddenly know new ones.

If a rework was to be done, it would be nice to see fluency tied to actual vocabulary. I have no idea how they would do that, but something that makes it so if, in your example, your Mhunish is at the point where you translate "dog" as "destruction", it stays that way anytime you say it. So, if you were to talk about that dog that followed you around as a child, it would be "that destruction that followed...". Alternatively, use the mutter mechanic you were describing, except don't randomize it. Have the words that would be wrong (like "destruction" for "dog") replaced with periods.

Aerek tells you in Mhun, "The quick brown .... ..... the lazy ...."
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    how would you handle city languages then, though? 
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tharvis said:
    Probably make them outright unintelligible.

They're magic/code, not really a language. After all, if you leave a city, you suddenly lose all ability to speak the language.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• @Inuad that depends, if someone is speaking too quickly for you and you're only partly fluent in a language, it can be easy to 'miss' what they said the first time, and repeating could help. 

@Sarathai if you switch race you magically lose access to that language too.

Languages are weird. It would be nice to see them reworked somehow, but I'm not sure this sort of fix is worth the time it would take. Replacing the garbled words with something like ... would be nice though for a start.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    edited June 2015
    Inuad said:
    While I do agree that the current way language learning works probably needs to be looked at (I too hate that even if I'm half way to fluent I'll still have a nearly impossible time understanding anything), I'm not sure this is the way to go. I've studied a few languages myself, and the thing is that if you don't know a word you just don't know it. It wouldn't make sense for someone to repeat something five times and for you to understand different words each time. It would amount to understanding all the words. Except you also somehow forget certain words as you suddenly know new ones.

If a rework was to be done, it would be nice to see fluency tied to actual vocabulary. I have no idea how they would do that, but something that makes it so if, in your example, your Mhunish is at the point where you translate "dog" as "destruction", it stays that way anytime you say it. So, if you were to talk about that dog that followed you around as a child, it would be "that destruction that followed...". Alternatively, use the mutter mechanic you were describing, except don't randomize it. Have the words that would be wrong (like "destruction" for "dog") replaced with periods.

Aerek tells you in Mhun, "The quick brown .... ..... the lazy ...."
    This is basically what the game does, already, it just re-rolls your vocabulary every so often and with each new person so that you can't write scripts to translate for yourself. The problem with tying fluency to vocabulary is the exact issue that made me post this topic: half-learned languages are unusable investments. It's all well and good if the game decides we don't know a few nouns, or some of the more flowery adjectives, but if the game decides that we don't know basic verbs and articles, then you can't effectively communicate with that language no matter how hard or how many times you try, and your only option is to pony up and learn to perfect fluency. (Which is what we currently have to do)

That's honestly not realistic at all. In real life, I took a semester of "conversational" German. I probably know 1% or less of the language's vocabulary, but I learned basic syntax, basic conjugation, and basic verbs and nouns, so I could communicate with fluent German speakers if my life depended on it. In game, my vocabulary is completely randomized, so even at half fluency, I effectively know 0% Mhun on a bad day, even if I was trying to communicate a "basic" thought. In real life, learning a new vocabulary word doesn't cost us $27,000. I would talk about my "destruction" that followed me around as a child, and you would say, "You mean your dog?" and bam, I learn a new word for free. So we have to strike a balance between realism and practicality here. This is a game, and half learned languages represent between 39,000-351,000gp investments for people who know a few, and so the language system should allow for half-learned languages to be useful in some measure, "realistic" or not.

My take on it is that in real life, if you're fluent and I'm half-fluent in a language, and I say something 5 different times in 5 hypothetically different ways, you'll probably be able to figure what I'm trying to say, and vice versa. In real life, this process would involve tortured syntax, mispronunciation, pantomime, finding synonyms, non-verbal cues, listener feedback and correction, and so forth. In a video game, we can't implement all that, so the MUTTER-style randomization is the most practical approximation of this communication process.

Tharvis said:
    City languages are a non-issue, because they only exist in terms of perfect or zero fluency. If you're referring to the fact that they still take the form of random words in tells, that should likely just become "unintelligible" a la SAYS. The fact that it isn't already that way is probably just an oversight.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • City languages are unintelligible unless you were once a member of that city, aren't they? If you knew that language before, it becomes garbled. Or at least that's what I thought.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Katzchen said:
    City languages are unintelligible unless you were once a member of that city, aren't they? If you knew that language before, it becomes garbled. Or at least that's what I thought.
    they're garbled anyway, no matter if you were once a citizen or not
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• -prowls on the edges of this thread, ready to pounce in case some tries to fuck with the actual learning-
  • Tharvis said:
    Katzchen said:
    City languages are unintelligible unless you were once a member of that city, aren't they? If you knew that language before, it becomes garbled. Or at least that's what I thought.
    they're garbled anyway, no matter if you were once a citizen or not
    Odd, I thought they were unintelligible before then. Must have been a different language.

• Katzchen said:
    @Sarathai if you switch race you magically lose access to that language too.
    Main difference being that you can at least learn the languages otherwise, while the same isn't true for city languages, but yes (the dragon aspect used to be weird, but now you can be in dragonform and still speak your lesserform language).
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• They fixed that? Damn... I learned human just to be able to understand it in dragon. That's a bit of a waste. :(

• VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    Katzchen said:
    They fixed that? Damn... I learned human just to be able to understand it in dragon. That's a bit of a waste. :(
    Same for Grook with me, though I wish they'd also do it the reverse way so  you could understand dragon in lesserform, especially now we don't have a language teacher anymore

• I thought about this for a while, and feel that this would make for a much more pleasant transition into language learning, especially if you wanted to play out the slow journey of learning a new tongue. Currently, I wouldn't bother trying to speak something I didn't know fully, which makes my alt's partial knowledge of Vertani completely useless. This would allow for me to at least get some use of it without sounding like a bunch of random perfectly formed words that threatens to shake immersion a bit too much.
    Katzchen said:
    City languages are always unintelligible in SAYs, as are racial languages that you don't have any lessons in. It's just in TELLs that you still get the random word selection, even if you're 0% fluent. in that language.

Tahquil said:
    -prowls on the edges of this thread, ready to pounce in case some tries to fuck with the actual learning-
    We should remember the racial languages for every race we've ever been. Gem owners would get all racial languages for free. Instead of thousands of gold, language lessons should cost 1 sandwich per lesson, because these tutors work so little, they're probably happy just to eat.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Katzchen said:
    They fixed that? Damn... I learned human just to be able to understand it in dragon. That's a bit of a waste. :(
    Issue yourself with an alternate language, Klendathu had all the lessons in Xorani switched to Atavian when the change went in.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Aerek said:
    Tahquil said:
    -prowls on the edges of this thread, ready to pounce in case some tries to fuck with the actual learning-
    We should remember the racial languages for every race we've ever been. Gem owners would get all racial languages for free. Instead of thousands of gold, language lessons should cost 1 sandwich per lesson, because these tutors work so little, they're probably happy just to eat.
    -hiss- Unless of course they refund all the gold I've spent on lessons. Then okay and I'll just buy Sapience and kick all you guys off it.
  • Klendathu said:
    Katzchen said:
    Issue yourself with an alternate language, Klendathu had all the lessons in Xorani switched to Atavian when the change went in.
    I will. Didn't even realise this was a thing they'd changed until this thread!

• If I had to guess, I'd say this is one of the things Sarapis would like to have done differently (going along with racial importance). Being a linguistic nerd myself, it's definitely something I'd have work differently in a game of my own. Short of building an entire language and programming language-specific grammar in (which would make it learnable without lessons and probably reverse-engineerable client-side), this seems like one of the better options.

Another option: always blank out words that are a certain length.

Non-existent -(hide all words)
        Barely beginning -(hide words longer than 1 letter)
        Beginning -(hide words longer than 1 letter)
        Just beyond beginning -(2)
        Far beyond beginning -(2)
        Well below basic -(2)
        Just below basic -(3)
        Basic -(3)
        Just above basic -(3)
        Far above basic -(3)
        Below minimal -(4)
        Minimal -(4)
        Above minimal -(4)
        Mediocre -(4)
        Above mediocre -(5)
        Far below average -(5)
        Below average -(5)
        Just below average -(5)
        Average -(6)
        Just above average -(6)
        Above average -(6)
        Far above average -(6)
        Very high -(7)
        Extremely high -(7)
        Nearing perfect -(8)
        Essentially perfect -(8)
        Perfect (-)

This is kind of like real learning, since your vocabulary words get a little bit longer each year through school. Some additional obfuscation could be added (hehe, obfuscation) to occasionally cause your 4-letter word to be misheard or hidden even though you've passed the threshold for 4.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Xith said:
    If I had to guess, I'd say this is one of the things Sarapis would like to have done differently (going along with racial importance). Being a linguistic nerd myself, it's definitely something I'd have work differently in a game of my own. Short of building an entire language and programming language-specific grammar in (which would make it learnable without lessons and probably reverse-engineerable client-side), this seems like one of the better options.

Another option: always blank out words that are a certain length.

Non-existent -(hide all words)
        Barely beginning -(hide words longer than 1 letter)
        Beginning -(hide words longer than 1 letter)
        Just beyond beginning -(2)
        Far beyond beginning -(2)
        Well below basic -(2)
        Just below basic -(3)
        Basic -(3)
        Just above basic -(3)
        Far above basic -(3)
        Below minimal -(4)
        Minimal -(4)
        Above minimal -(4)
        Mediocre -(4)
        Above mediocre -(5)
        Far below average -(5)
        Below average -(5)
        Just below average -(5)
        Average -(6)
        Just above average -(6)
        Above average -(6)
        Far above average -(6)
        Very high -(7)
        Extremely high -(7)
        Nearing perfect -(8)
        Essentially perfect -(8)
        Perfect (-)

This is kind of like real learning, since your vocabulary words get a little bit longer each year through school. Some additional obfuscation could be added (hehe, obfuscation) to occasionally cause your 4-letter word to be misheard or hidden even though you've passed the threshold for 4.
    I'd prefer to see something like this, as it makes it so someone won't automatically know what you're trying to say if you just say it four or five (or whoever many) times. Of course, this still has issues. You wouldn't be able to reference any of the cities, for instance, until you'd learned half the necessary language lessons. Still, something like this would be preferable to me than a system like what's used with muttering, as you could use that system to (not very practically) say anything in any language you've started lessons in and be understood.
  • That seems pretty neat really. 

You'd have to 'tone down' your language to meet your level. Or ask someone who is fluent in the language to repeat something... only with more basic phrasing. Which makes a hell of a lot of sense if you're only semi-fluent in a language. 

"Do you know how to get to that city in the east?" 

Instead of

"Can you help me with directions to Targossas?"

• Seems like "that city in the east" would be more difficult to understand than "Targossas", especially if "Targossas" was the same word in every language. And, being relatively new and much younger than the racial languages, it seems odd that all of the races would come up with their own word for it rather than just using the Achaean one.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited June 2015
    I agree with Achilles, a proper noun is the same in (nearly) every language, even if pronounced slightly differently (silent s in Paris in French vs audible s in Paris in English)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • I considered that implication, but don't really see an easy way around it and figured it was the lesser of several evils.

• Katzchen said:
    That seems pretty neat really. 

You'd have to 'tone down' your language to meet your level. Or ask someone who is fluent in the language to repeat something... only with more basic phrasing. Which makes a hell of a lot of sense if you're only semi-fluent in a language. 

"Do you know how to get to that city in the east?" 

Instead of

"Can you help me with directions to Targossas?"
    Well, or you'd just do:
     "Can you help me with dir ect ions to Targ oss as?
  • Considering the only possible benefit language has is RP based... and those who bother to learn it tend to be RP focussed, I really hope that wouldn't be much of an issue.

Maybe. As neat as Xith's take is, I agree with Sarapis that that would be pretty abuseable, and internet game law says that if it can be abused, it will be. I don't want to de-value perfect fluency, I just want to increase the value of partial fluency.

Inuad said:
    Still, something like this would be preferable to me than a system like what's used with muttering, as you could use that system to (not very practically) say anything in any language you've started lessons in and be understood.
    Again, picture the understanding-by-repetition of muttering as ultimately symbolic. In game terms, yes, I'm saying the same exact thing 5 times and you're hearing different pieces of it until you get it. But in real life terms, I'd be expressing the same thought in 5 different ways, searching for different words, pantomiming different actions, taking in listener feedback, until finally I get my point across. The muttering mechanic serves as an abstract representation of cross-language communication, not something to be taken literally.
  • Aerek said:
    Maybe. As neat as Xith's take is, I agree with Sarapis that that would be pretty abuseable, and internet game law says that if it can be abused, it will be. I don't want to de-value perfect fluency, I just want to increase the value of partial fluency.

Inuad said:
    Still, something like this would be preferable to me than a system like what's used with muttering, as you could use that system to (not very practically) say anything in any language you've started lessons in and be understood.
    Again, picture the understanding-by-repetition of muttering as ultimately symbolic. In game terms, yes, I'm saying the same exact thing 5 times and you're hearing different pieces of it until you get it. But in real life terms, I'd be expressing the same thought in 5 different ways, searching for different words, pantomiming different actions, taking in listener feedback, until finally I get my point across. The muttering mechanic serves as an abstract representation of cross-language communication, not something to be taken literally.
    If you're searching for different words, why not try using different words?
    If you're pantomiming different actions, why aren't you emoting?

It seems that if you were going to go through the trouble of repeating yourself three, four, five, or more times to convey your point, presuming it's some kind of abstract for the above, you might as well use the above.

If the mutter mechanic was used as it is, then the same kind of abuse that could happen with the example Sarapis gave could easily happen as I previously described (just saying the same thing five times or whatever). The issue is that if you aren't fluent (or close to it) you're not always going to be able to convey your meaning effectively. With the mechanic you wish to use, you could, with a few tries, always convey your meaning. No amount of pantomiming, searching for words, taking in feedback, etc is going to allow you to convey certain (typically complex/abstract) thoughts when you are well below fluency.

I'm not opposed to a new system for language (I'm at the point where continued learning will cost millions of gold to reach fluency), one which better valuates incremental investment/learning, I just don't think the way you're describing is the way to do it.
  • Considering it's just as easy if not easier to just SPEAK ACHAEAN and then say what you like, I don't see why Xith's suggestion is really that flawed. Sure, you could make yourself look pretty silly by splitting up a bunch of longer words, or you could... just switch to achaean. You still wouldn't be able to understand longer words used by more fluent speakers, or write in the language.

edited June 2015
    Inuad said:
    If you're searching for different words, why not try using different words?
    If you're pantomiming different actions, why aren't you emoting?
    The former is still victim to the current system's heavy-handed substitution. If I roll poorly, I will be literally incapable of relaying this thought, even if it's a basic thought and I've learned 50% of this language.
    The latter doesn't use the language system. I could just EMOTE says in Mhun, "Which way to Targossas?" if I so desired. Or I could spend 10 minutes crafting custom emotes to pretend to fail to communicate through a language I've learned 50% of. This might be great RP, but it doesn't allow reasonable use of the 13 lessons I've learned in the language. (Which were expensive)

I just want to be able to use half-fluent languages. I don't think that's unreasonable, given their cost. You're trying to add inconvenience to the language system, I'm trying to add convenience. You trying to maintain a system where we can't reasonably communicate at half fluency, I'm trying to make it so we can. We appear to be working toward different goals.

Katzchen said:
    Considering it's just as easy if not easier to just SPEAK ACHAEAN and then say what you like, I don't see why Xith's suggestion is really that flawed. Sure, you could make yourself look pretty silly by splitting up a bunch of longer words, or you could... just switch to achaean. You still wouldn't be able to understand longer words used by more fluent speakers, or write in the language.

This could just be me, but I think the primary purpose of languages is for privacy. Generally, I use other languages when there are some in the room I want to understand me, and some in the room I don't; I don't speak other languages just for the sake of them. Thus, needing to switch to Achaean to be understood, or using EMOTES to be understood, is exactly what I'm trying to get away from, but at the same time, being able to chop up my words to be 100% understood in a language I haven't fully learned massively de-values the need for perfect fluency, which isn't fair or desirable.
  • Privacy? Tells and going somewhere private are for privacy. Languages are for RP. Way too many people with gems of reincarnation, those necklaces if they're still a thing, people who've learned other languages which you can't check... definitely not a reliable means of private communication.