Commodity Market Tweak

Comments

• Jules, I'm getting pretty tired of you attempting to drag thread after thread off-topic in order that you can have a platform to voice whatever your agenda-of-the-day is. Consider that a formal warning.
  • God forbid someone should fire back at you when you engage in forum trolling as an admin/owner. 
  • I think you mistake why I fired back. It's because you, once again, had attempted to drag the thread off-topic so that you could bring up your irrelevant-to-this-thread agenda.

If you continue doing it, you're going to be forum banned.
  • No, I responded to Sybilla and cordially said in effect "yeah, okay, I'm out".  You, unable to resist being snarky, engaged in being snarky.  When I had the audacity to fire back, "Jules, keep it up and you gonna get banned".

• Interpret it how you wish as long as you stop trying to drag threads off-topic to promote whatever your current agenda is.
  • Tahquil said:
    Pay 10% of the appointed price just to stick them up there. Get it back when you sell the comms and lose it if you take the comms off the market.
    Back on topic - I enjoy this idea. It's not quite like the bank's withdrawal fees for gold, but similar enough that it makes sense that the rule exists for the service. More importantly, it won't penalize people using it for its intended purpose, which was my main concern in regards to a solution.

• I am not sure I like the idea of a fee, even a returnable one, I can see it putting people off using the comm market and I kind of like it being there for when I'm feeling lazy, or find another 500 lacquer in my rift I had forgotten (don't judge me, I impulse buy comms when I see them cheap!) But with lacquer as an example, selling anywhere from 350 to 700 gold a piece, depending on if someone is currently going for grand master thingy, it's quite a lot out of pocket up front, especially for those of us who try to carry very little gold with us (see, impulse buying comms.. my pretty.. pretty.. giant rift of things) And pretty much a killer for the poorer people who are using the market as a way to make money off their wandering talents, someone blowing their last few thousand on comms to turn a profit won't have the gold to hand to sell it. Which kind of sucks.

In short, I think it would be more punishing for those actually trying to sell items, rather than those using it as a storage.
     The comm market already returns things after a year if they're not sold, as stated earlier. 

• Khaibit said:
    I am not sure I like the idea of a fee, even a returnable one, I can see it putting people off using the comm market and I kind of like it being there for when I'm feeling lazy, or find another 500 lacquer in my rift I had forgotten (don't judge me, I impulse buy comms when I see them cheap!) But with lacquer as an example, selling anywhere from 350 to 700 gold a piece, depending on if someone is currently going for grand master thingy, it's quite a lot out of pocket up front, especially for those of us who try to carry very little gold with us (see, impulse buying comms.. my pretty.. pretty.. giant rift of things) And pretty much a killer for the poorer people who are using the market as a way to make money off their wandering talents, someone blowing their last few thousand on comms to turn a profit won't have the gold to hand to sell it. Which kind of sucks.

In short, I think it would be more punishing for those actually trying to sell items, rather than those using it as a storage.
     The comm market already returns things after a year if they're not sold, as stated earlier. 

The fee incurred (whether returned or not; I prefer one where the fee is pocketed by Delos or the auction house or whatever is the actual in game thing) would not necessarily have to be 10%. It could be a small fee, say 5gp per commodity. It could also be something like 1% of what is sold. The fee could also be issued after the commodities are sold (in the case of commodities that are on the market too long and returned, perhaps a fee could be assessed before getting them back?)

If the fee is low enough, it shouldn't prevent people actually trying to sell items from doing so, and it would make sense for an in game auction house to charge a small fee for their services. It also helps in the scaling: if you're selling 100 wood, the fee (if you went with 5gp/comm) would be 500gp. If you're trying to store your extra 5000, the fee would be 25k. Obviously numbers could be adjusted as needed.
  • I just mentioned 10% because if your a person actually putting Comms into the market to sell hopefully it's low enough not to be a barrier (and you end up getting it back if you do sell, but even if you take your Comms off market its not a huge penalty)
    i.e 1000 Comms at 40g = 4000g to put up and will more likely sell compared to 1000 Comms at 500g = 50000g to put up and probably will never sell putting the person out of pocket.
  • 10% would put me off using the comm market. That's quite a bit of gold when you're looking at the bulk lots, it's either going to cut almost all your profit out, or push up comm prices.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• If you buy wood at 24 (or was it 26?) gold per (which is the cheapest you can get it from denizens, and that's off shore) and you sell it at 40g per, that 10% just took away about 30% of your profit. If you get it from some of the other denizen shops? Could be up to 80%.

• edited June 2015
    for Katz example: 
    she tries to sells her 1000 wood at 40g.
    if successful she'll get 40000g from the market.

what I propose is when she puts the 1000 wood up she will pay 10% holding fee (4000g) but if she successfully sells it is returned to her in the payout (4000g + 40000g =44000g which is what she would have begore anyway)

but it if she prices to high and it doesn't sell she Will lose that 10% paid if she choose to withdraw from the market.

tl:dr profits remain the same for selling but penalises people who price high or flood the market.
  • Yes, but if it's priced okay, and the market changes? You're then out 4000g, and you haven't sold your wood. This would be enough incentive to just skip using the comm market.

• 5% would seem more reasonable for sales on that scale, but when you get higher, like selling 500 laquer? That's still obscene risk.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Also, what if you're holding out for a decent price? This will force people to either sell low or have a high risk of losing their money.
    Huh. Neat.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Ahmet said:
    Also, what if you're holding out for a decent price? This will force people to either sell low or have a high risk of losing their money.
    And people will sell low.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Can't there just be a cap put on the market where you can't list comms for more than 200% of the current market average?

• If it's really that big a deal, rather than changing this market in ways that I think WILL tend to push people away from actually using that market (in exactly the ways that several people have detailed), just tie the ability to sell to the player's available rift/vault capacity (so that there isn't an ability to use the market as overflow in the first place).   

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Katzchen said:
    Can't there just be a cap put on the market where you can't list comms for more than 200% of the current market average?
    how would you handle the rare cases of everything being sold out, then?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tharvis said:
    Katzchen said:
    Can't there just be a cap put on the market where you can't list comms for more than 200% of the current market average?
    how would you handle the rare cases of everything being sold out, then?
    What do you mean? The average value on the credit market seems to be taken from the last few sales. The only way I can see this being abused is if someone purposely sells a pile of stuff low to screw it over. This could be solved by not letting the market value drop below the lowest denizen price point.

• Jules said:

If it's really that big a deal, rather than changing this market in ways that I think WILL tend to push people away from actually using that market (in exactly the ways that several people have detailed), just tie the ability to sell to the player's available rift/vault capacity (so that there isn't an ability to use the market as overflow in the first place).   

That.... huh. That isn't a bad idea. Thank you for contributing it.

• Agreed on all points, thanks for your input and explanation! 

• Sarapis said:

I'm also reluctant to impose any kind of listing fee because I don't want to drive any business off the system - it functions best when there's a lot of volume running through it.

Not sure yet what we'll do, but we definitely won't let people just store infinite comms on the commarket forever. It's not a giant emergency though either, on the other hand, so there's no urgency to figure out the solution right this second.

Could you give a rough figure of how much volume currently runs through the market? The times I've used it it seems like the same batches are up for about the same price, so it doesn't seem as dynamic as you're suggesting.
  • Those aren't things I'm going to give figures on, but some comms have very little volume (not much demand for some), whereas others, like stone and wood, have quite a bit.

• Listing all Wood commodities:
    Commodity                           Price                    Quantity Available
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wood                                59gp                     1000
    Wood                                60gp                     2000
    Wood                                70gp                     950
    Wood                                75gp                     789
    Wood                                6000gp                   8000
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I appear to have irritated someone with this thread. Haha

• @Trey Those have been there for a while. 
  • Greys said:
    @Trey Those have been there for a while. 
    They were 600gp per last I checked.

• @Trey I could be wrong but pretty sure there was another 0. Just means oneday you may kill someone and they drop tons of commodities as they stored it in the market and have no rift room.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    The price went up because some idiot was buying them at 600 per. Maybe some idiot will buy them at 6k per too but i have to pay my rent first.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae