Achaea 2

Comments

• Nope, and that was actually multiple rl years after Lusternia opened. 
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    We thought it was a retcon! the whole 'time travel' and paradox thing kinda made people think she may have eventually fallen out at a totally different point in time in a totally different world (Lusternia)

• Sena said:
     Of course, the main problem with that is that Lusternia isn't the chaos realm, and Eris didn't take any humans with her when she went through the rift.

LOL Lusternia isn't the Chaos realm... hoo boy... that gave me a mighty chuckle.
  • Hmm, well, I wasn't involved in-game at all from late '07 until spring '12 so I have no idea what Maya intended with that post. It does seem to at least loosely fit with Estarra's origin story if you're willing to accept a retcon. I actually had forgotten Estarra's origin story as I doubt I'd thought about it after about '03 or '04.
  • But I can tell you right now that Magnora and Dynara are not Discord and Entropy. No existences precede that which Ayar created.
  • It would be fun to see the overlap of Aetolia and Achaea. In my opinion Severn is like our Twilight and Achaea is Aetolia before the Grand Artifice happened. It would be hilarious to see all the Aetolian's flailing around doing spoilers.

"OH GOD, THERA.. EVACUATE NOW BEFORE THE BLACK FOREST WAKES!"

"Oh hey there Belladonna, how are.. ARGH SHE'S STILL A VAMPIRE!"

"Oh Ashtan, and Eleusis... how quaint.. What's this, Targossas isn't owned by the Kelki yet?"

But on the note of Lusternia - FIGURINE BATTLES!!
  • And I'm glad that it isn't canon in Achaea, for sure. It's important, I think, that all factions have a somewhat-defensible position, philosophically/theologically speaking, and that can't happen if there's no mystery behind the Great Veil. If it were ever set in stone as to what, exactly, precisely, scientifically happened, there would be no need to debate these issues anymore, and a huge part of the game's appeal would vanish.

That being said, it would still be interesting to take on Lusternia. They think they bad cause they got aetherships? We got a Bal'met.

Well... had. But I bet we could get another one.
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • Yay neat lore stuff!!!

• sadly, i cry pitifully to myself that i didn't get to taste the divine power during the bal'met event. (however i hear it was zap fest and very laggy on those day.. so i might not be... missing that much?)

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • edited January 2015
    So many good memories from then. I remember running around with @Vansittart, bashing whatever the mobs were there (that weren't dead gods). It was basically our own Achaea buddy cop show: me as the cynical, jaded, past-his-prime Occultist, him as the young but inexperienced hotshot Priest who was ever the optimist, probably @Manifest as the hard-bitten drill sergeant who yelled a lot. And it was awesome.
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • Sarapis said:
    Yeah, it seems like a half-assed explanation really, and doesn't fully make sense, but if you ignore some of the details it seems like it may have been intended to make sense. I'm really curious what was intended, so will find out.
    Part of it was to remove Eris from the picture finally, to try and give @Babel a shot without the schism that had developed between the two factions of Chaos that had formed. I think the details were just kind of thrown together as a way to say, Eris is gone, stop asking, see... she went through a portal and poofed off somewhere else.
  • Yeah, that sounds probable. It hadn't been Estarra as Eris for years in any case, since before Lusternia opened.
  • edited January 2015
    It actually does fit with some fairly lore-heavy interpretations, none of which involve Lusternia or Estarra.
  • Yeah, turns out to be a lovely coincidence. 

@Mathonwy‌ (He asked me to tag him when I found out.)
  • @Daeir Yeah. We've been trying to recruit a full-time person for events but no luck so far.
  • Tael said:
    Tibitha said:
    Like having families be actual organisations
    How is this different from just making a clan for your family?

Hell, that's what the word "clan" means.

I do want to respond properly, but im not typing all that on a phone. Will type stuff later when I have a keyboard.
  • Sarapis said:
    @Daeir Yeah. We've been trying to recruit a full-time person for events but no luck so far.

Have you uh... offered to pay this person?  I only ask because I'm curious.

• Yes, such as announce #4023.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Valaria said:
    sadly, i cry pitifully to myself that i didn't get to taste the divine power during the bal'met event. (however i hear it was zap fest and very laggy on those day.. so i might not be... missing that much?)
    ...now I miss running around Nishnatoba in Eagle stance, wielding two scimitars(rune bladed), while being morphed into a Jaguar with Reflexes and evading around like a serpent.....
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Sarapis said:
    Yes, such as announce #4023.

tbf that was over a year ago, and didn't actually mention pay.  Again out of curiosity (I am happily employed), is this an online job, or something that'd involve an office or physical presence, in general?

Wasn't trying to be a smartass (it kinda sounds like it) - I am just honestly surprised that the position was rapidly filled.  There seem to be a lot of people with the knowledge and motivation to do this job.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Ernam‌
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #4023
    Date: 01/11/2014 at 21:55
    To : Everyone
    Subj: We're hiring!
    Ever wanted to take your passion for Achaea to the next level? Wanting to break into the gaming industry? Here's your opportunity! In the coming months, we plan to hire a team member to focus primarily on events and roleplay.
    This position will be responsible for working with our team of staff and volunteers to design and execute events on a regular basis. This covers general interest storylines as well as organisation/faction-specific scenarios, on a scale that ranges from small denizen interactions to massive world-wide events like the Bal'met saga.
    What we're looking for in a candidate:
    * A detail-oriented self-starter who can take a general concept and bring it to completion.
    * Exhaustive knowledge and love of Achaea's history, lore, geography, and various factions. 
    * Impeccable writing skills and creativity.
    * The ability to design, plan, and execute high-quality events on a consistent basis.
    * Multi-tasking skills, the ability to work on multiple projects at once.
    As the work is done remotely, the candidate is expected to self-manage his or her time. This is a part-time contract position with the possibility of full-time for the right person.
    The application process for this position is not a typical one. Every candidate we will consider must first have completed the rigorous Celani/Demigod training process that prepares you for taking up one of our God roles. By participating in the training program, you will acquire/improve upon the requirements mentioned above and learn how to interface with the extensive set of admin tools that the volunteers and staff use to make Achaea happen. Thus, your first step must be to apply to our Celani program, as mentioned in the previous announce post!
    If you have any questions, please email tecton@achaea.com.
    Penned by My hand on the 8th of Mayan, in the year 644 AF.
    Answers your questions, no?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• edited January 2015

Totally missed the "remotely" there - and feeling a bit salty about it.

To be clear, I was just pointing out that it could probably be more clearly described** - if you're looking to generate interest.   ** (they have various part-time, and possibly even full-time volunteers, that are "part of the team", etc, so nothing there would indicate that the job would involve actually being paid)

I mean, I'm a white-collar IT field recruiter (aka headhunter) - and I'd firmly advise any client of mine to be more clear and probably a bit more vocal, if getting the seat filled is any kind of a priority.  Just trying to be helpful.
  • I've volunteered on a couple of sites that were tabletop gaming sites as an ST, and the amount of juggling required to hold a small venue of less than 20 together is kind of difficult, with something as large as Achaea, I'm not surprised the vetting process takes so long.

I'm like a lot of people and think this would be a dream job, but ultimately, the indefinite unpaid internship beforehand and thinking about the loss of my investment in my character to try it keeps me from applying.
  • edited January 2015

(I think it's safe to go ahead and assume we've abandoned the OP)

@Erhon I'd feel the same way if it was something I was able to consider>

What really blew my mind is that this is actually how like... every single Japanese company works.  College grads are hired as "temp employees" with no guarantee of a full-time position or retention.  They get paid crumbs, and are legally allowed to (and thus usually) keep temps for 3 years before they have to offer a staff seat.

I've always thought it was a terrifying business model, because a resume that says "I worked in company X for 3 years as temp worker / intern, and wasn't offered a position" doesn't exactly blow anyone's hats off.  I would never even consider taking such a job, but this is like, what everyone does here (Tokyo).  There's no wonder it's one of the most depressed, stressed, and (sadly) suicidal countries on earth.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    To be honest it sounds like a job I'd love to get into, especially with it being paid and such, but I just don't want to scrap my character, and to turn my pasttime into my job.  :| Not yet.

One thing I promised myself years ago is that while becoming a God was something I'd love to do down the line, I'd want a better OOC situation, have fully run out of storyline for Melodie and done all the major goals I've been striving for, and last but most importantly, have managed to detach myself from the social circle of players as well as I can so the social parting isn't such a heartbreaking thing.

Maybe one day some years down the road, though.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Ernam said:

so nothing there would indicate that the job would involve actually being paid)

Nothing except the definition of the word hire!