Quick Coding Questions

Comments

• @Cen the NDB and mapper extras can really bog down Mudlet.
  • I've experienced slow down a lot when gagging a lot of stuff
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Hm. I only use the mapper, SVO, and some simple aliases and gagging. I'm a terrible coder, so it's certainly not any problems with overly complex scripts of my own.
  • One thing that I had to fix for the same issue was using the wrong type when making triggers. I was using Perl regex on everything, instead of substring etc when I could have. Changing that made a big difference. 

In some one of my older triggers, I was trying to match every single word the game was putting out. Once I went through and fixed all that, it made pretty big improvements. Check your stuff out, could have a few errant ones.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Using a lot of isPrompt() triggers can cause problems. Particularly if you leave them on all the time as opposed to activating/deactivating them conditionally.

Another thing I have issues with is the alertness trigger (I think it's the mapper) - if a group of people enter adjacent and then my room immediately then I may as well go make a cup of tea. 

Have literally only just finished removing it and replacing it with my own version that doesn't plug into the mapper at all and am already seeing a difference. 

If I think of any others (that aren't already mentioned above) I'll hit ya with them in a message.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• I echo the isPrompt statement.  Also had slowness from that. 
  • Luckily for me, having an average of 1 second latency alleviates all possible mudlet slowdowns. Just get worse internet!
  • Any chance I can get help updating svo's magi limb counter to work?
  • Kaden said:
    Any chance I can get help updating svo's magi limb counter to work?
    @Aegoth shared this a while back. Is this of relevance for you?
  • Might be worthwhile to add a "prompt" trigger type to Mudlet so it would be built-in and fast.

The mapper has a feature to plot people's names on the map, that can be nice to look at but takes a quick computer to run.
  • Less of a coding question and more of a mudlet one.

Switched back to Jester after months as a Runie (Multiclassed) and realised I'd not set up anything for the class. I've created a new profile, but all my bashing info from K's basher, slain counter, etc i'd like to carry over. I can move over some aliases and such manually, but what's the easiest way to move those other elements across and preserve the already accrued information?

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Sobriquet said:
    Less of a coding question and more of a mudlet one.

Switched back to Jester after months as a Runie (Multiclassed) and realised I'd not set up anything for the class. I've created a new profile, but all my bashing info from K's basher, slain counter, etc i'd like to carry over. I can move over some aliases and such manually, but what's the easiest way to move those other elements across and preserve the already accrued information?
    This is going to be problematic, as I assume the counters save their outputs into their respective profile folders. You'd likely have to manually copy / paste these each time.

You could edit the code itself to save the files to a location accessible by both profiles.

As for keeping aliases, etc sync'd, I recommend importing them as modules, with the option to sync checked, for both profiles.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    edited October 2017
    EDIT: Ninja'd by klen
    Huh. Neat.
  • Klendathu said:
    Sobriquet said:

This is going to be problematic, as I assume the counters save their outputs into their respective profile folders. You'd likely have to manually copy / paste these each time.

You could edit the code itself to save the files to a location accessible by both profiles.

As for keeping aliases, etc sync'd, I recommend importing them as modules, with the option to sync checked, for both profiles.
    Thanks K.

So for my existing triggers / aliases etc which will be used on both classses, can i..

1 - Export existing config into .xml
    2 - Delete / deactivate said config in Runie Profile
    3 - Import as Module on Runie profile and it will also appear in Jester Profile
    4 - Profit

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Sobriquet said:
    Klendathu said:
    Sobriquet said:

Thanks K.

So for my existing triggers / aliases etc which will be used on both classses, can i..

1 - Export existing config into .xml
    2 - Delete / deactivate said config in Runie Profile
    3 - Import as Module on Runie profile and it will also appear in Jester Profile
    4 - Profit

You'd need to link the module (xml) in both profiles, make sure the sync option is checked. Then when you make changes to those parts in the runie profile AND SAVE THE PROFILE the changes will be reflected in the jester profile next time it's opened, and vice versa. Just be careful to close one profile down completely before opening the other...

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • You don't have to close profiles - you can have them both open at the same time and 'save to profile' will autosync across all open profiles.
  • Torinn said:
    I echo the isPrompt statement.  Also had slowness from that. 
    @Torinn @Xaden I've added a prompt pattern type that in theory will be tons quicker. Mind running some tests? Download and provide feedback here.
  • I... I'm still on 2.1... I'm afraid to update:(
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Same. 
  • I upgraded to 3.0 and promptly had a lot of shit break that I didn't know how to fix, so I restored from a backup with 2.1 lol. I'm with you guys :(

• Just back up your profile and try it. I've gone from 2.1 to each new release for the most part and haven't had a single issue. Can't be afraid of your software folks.
  • If it aint broke, don't fix it.
  • Alyxeri said:
    If it aint broke, don't fix it.

• Okay, I'll try it out.  Can't guarantee when though
  • edited October 2017
    My setup for multiclass is all on the same profile, with a check function to execute code depending on my class.

function isClass(class)
     return string.title(class) == gmcp.Char.Status.class
    end

then something like

^a$

if isClass("Serpent") then
     send("do serpent stuff")
    elseif isClass("Runewarden") then
     if knight.spec == "2h" then
      send("do 2h stuff")
     else
      send("do dual cutting stuff if you only ever play these two specs")
     end
    elseif isClass("Monk") then
     send("suck at bashing")
    end

I use this here and on Lusternia and I've found it a lot more palatable than constantly changing profiles. Then again, I tend to map most of my offensive stuff to the same set of keys/aliases across all classes so I don't have to memorize a ton of new aliases/macros.

• Dunn said:
    My setup for multiclass is all on the same profile, with a check function to execute code depending on my class.
    Just use master system Wsys, then multiclass won't need multiple profiles / special activate-deactivate aliases.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Pretty sure he was talking about his own aliases, not his curing system.
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited October 2017
    I thought everyone did their aliases/macros/etc. that way :(. That's how my 2H runie-dragon stuff is set up -- ALT+ W-ASD-ZX are the limbs, and I hew or rend depending on whether I'm dformed or not :D
     <3 
  • edited October 2017
    Barring a few things like 'ev <dir>' being evade/leap/mountjump/displace/etc, all of my aliases tend to follow an equally easy to remember pattern. All of them are 4 letter aliases; the first 2 denote the skillset, the second 2 denote the skill.
    Aeonics Timewell = aetw
    Vodun Cripple = vocr
    Vodun Confusion = vocn
    Skirmishing Skullbash = sksb
    'raze' is also all-encompassing depending on the class. With an optional match for venoms. raze c = rivestrike + curare for sentinel, for instance. Or it'd do razeslash + curare if I was knight. Barring those things, I don't have many checks for my skills, or aliases to enable/disable folders. :s
  • Nothing broke from 2.1 - we keep backwards compatibility to make sure stuff works, even my Nexus GUI from 2009 still does! If anyone had any issues upgrading, nobody said a thing 'cause nothing was heard.

Also the preview isn't something you install, just unzip and run it, so it's alongside the regular Mudlet. Should be fine.