When I was a Newbie...

Comments

• I feel so awesome for creating this! Now to get more Divine involved when THEY first started :P

• edited December 2014
    • I didn't know English very well (second language, and I was young). I didn't know that -less meant that something was missing. Crotchless panties took an entire different meaning after I saw Relos' horrified face when he saw me buy them.
    • Kamleikan was considered off-continent, and a lone, abandonned novice could not call for help on GNT. I suspect Relos of dumping me there to die, leaving without explaining the existence of the WILDERNESS MAP to me.
    • I thought a dirk was a wooden stick with a needle-pin on its tip (still, me not knowing some word meanings).
    • I met Viola.

• I kind of miss Bumblebeevie.  And really, tackiness in general.  It was fun, and allowed me to bask in my superior uber classiness.  Bring back tacky.  
  • Let's see, lots already mentioned..
    • Guilds
    • Ram's horn-less shouts
    • The Spawn running around terrorizing people in Ashtan
    • Giving lollipops to orphans and stealing them from Shallam
    • Watching the Sentinels split from the Druids
    • Eating hearts as an Occultist
    • Pages and pages of written N,NWx3,W,S,Nx2,E just to get from point A to point B
    • @Sarapis‌ being in realms (and messaging a hi when I returned from being dormant, I think I still have that somewhere)
  • Jarik use to solo raid hashan, not flying in, just walking through the guards. Kill everyone, empty the sorcerers guild MC and then leave, on like a daily basis.

Sentinel RP consisted of someone having a baby and was backed by a god, also everyone hung out in Hanging Gardens.

Swishowski took me under his wing and we went around everyhwere dropping holo bombs, stormhammering everything and me having to fight for him when he was peaced.

Sentinels had handaxestun and their combat consisted of "Wait till they hit alertness and throw your handaxe at them."

• @Erhon When I was a newbie, Icy-hot on Erhon's nipples missed to CT when it was supposed to go to WTG, was the highlight of my life.

• Kresslack said:
    Ruth said:

I thought PK was really fun in the arena... Then I got into PK out of the arena. That gave me the first combat jitters.

Ah, the days of entering into a challenge outside of the arena and trying to manually enter combat commands while your heart beat at like 300+ bpm.
    Wait.... My heart still does that...

• I was afraid of lycopods... and of getting caught sneaking into the sewers to hunt rats.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    When I was a newbie we didn't have Romeo or Juliet, in fact I logged in and Sarapis told me to follow the road north to Ashtan (the only city coded at the time)
    Curatives came in the form of pills
    We used telnet
    The first artefacts were sold at a gold auction
    Monks could use rat stance and attack a MOBs a million times a second (or it felt like it)
    We didn't have clans
    RELAX was an actual cure

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Sneaking into the Garden with Khalid. Got caught by Apollyon who killed us to death and then moved our souls to Tenwat.

Also, before Tenwat could be walked to.

Hunting down grove users during raids/skirmishes and killing them so they couldn't revive their citymates, or covering a forest with eye sigils.

• Kyttin said:
    @Erhon When I was a newbie, Icy-hot on Erhon's nipples missed to CT when it was supposed to go to WTG, was the highlight of my life.
    ....thank you, I had almost forgotten that experience.... I'm gonna go cry in a corner now.
  • Erhon said:
    Kyttin said:
    @Erhon When I was a newbie, Icy-hot on Erhon's nipples missed to CT when it was supposed to go to WTG, was the highlight of my life.
    ....thank you, I had almost forgotten that experience.... I'm gonna go cry in a corner now.
    Merry Christmas Erhon! I'll never forget that.

• When I was a newbie...Well a little while after a newbie, but it went on long enough to be a running gag for several years for the older generation...sylvan class lead. 
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Kyttin said:
    Erhon said:
    Kyttin said:
    Merry Christmas Erhon! I'll never forget that.
    that reminds me of one of the FIRST things I heard when making my character in ashtan.
    (Ashtan): Lyn says, "Ohmygods I love BDSM."
    Like literally, come out of the trial, choose a city, and that pops on my screen.
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• When I was a novice, it took me three real months to realize I had class skills and finally knew why I kept dying to pixies when kicking them. I would sit at minia casting freeze at the ground and would laugh for hours... I was one of those horrible newbies who refused to join a house. When you made a character you started on loom island.  :s
  • @Orzaansyn, we talked plenty! Just not IC! :stuck_out_tongue:

Otherwise, though, yes!
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • When I was a newbie I didn't know about targetting, so every target was typed out by hand. Even on group hunting trips with Shallam to take down Zsarachnor. 

I was playing on um, "borrowed" wifi and so I ripped a lot and then died. A lot. Hunting gnolls in Manara, which was a nice long trip for Cyrenians to run to in order to resurrect me. Matt was ambassador of Cyrene then, and he was my hero because he was always running for Ephram's sorry little corpse.

I started off as a priest, with little sense of RP other than the Mojushaine view of everyone having their own path to walk, so when I got Healing, Eph gave blessings to a lot of people the church wouldn't have been thrilled about. They paid well though, at least.

There was a church. There was a church channel. It was full of things like, "Pilgrimage to Shallam?" "Up" "Up" "Up" "There's an orphan at me, someone bring a candle!" 

Sith was always out to get us all. 

Clementius was around.

• There was still a class channel.

Some little punk cast freeze at me a few times at the Minia archway and I believe that's how I first died.

My first alt was a jester that repeatedly used Hocuspocus to make the hooded nocturnis at Crossroads do the can-can.

The first few RL months I avoided reaching level 20 until I was "ready". I became very familiar with the walking path from Minia through the Ithmia to Hashan and went nowhere else.

Tengus were a brilliant source of experience for mains and alts alike, for a long time.

Hashan seemed like a cool place.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains
    When I was a newbie... lost elixirs were all the rage, hahah.

• First, when I saw this, I thought "WHEN I WAS A YOUNG WART HOOOOOGGGGGGGG!"

Anyway, when I was a newbie,

Arcadia wasn't a thing. I was like "Holy shit when they made it."

Printed maps? Bourgeois. Us plebeians wrote that shit down. I don't mean drawing little squares. I mean S,S, S, SE, SW, w, W, W, NW. that kinda shit. To everything.

Zmud, Cmud, Mudlet? Nah Bra, Java and Nexus. 

Curing system? I have this trigger that took me an hour to write that sips health for me on balance...

Bashing for Gold? Underworld and Tir Muran? Didn't exist. Probably a reason that CFS was about 3k per.

I actually thought getting to the rank of Defender meant something. I was so proud when I got Valiant.

Credits? I'm too young for a credit card.

This ring that I bought for 5k is the perfect thing to propose to my text girlfriend with.

200 rats! That's got to be more than 2k gold...

I've got my own house, that's totally private!

Sigh...

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    lol

Infernals were in Ashtan.
    Telnet.
    Writing down directions and then losing my spot and trying to figure out where I left off.
    Level 150? Lol 80 is impossible.
    Estach

I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    The Eye of Estach. Fun times.

• edited December 2014
    First client, can't remember. Second client: http://simplemu.onlineroleplay.com/. After that, used MUSHclient mostly, got zMUD to write scripts for everyone. Makes me happy to see my script output became standard for the rift. :smile:

First char, waited ages to get a better sword than that amber crap. Deleted him because I wasn't getting anywhere. Made an occultist, they lost necromancy, left guild but couldn't think of what to do, quit playing for a year or so.

Came back, made a druid, mostly just ran around and explored. Died to so much. Was fun. Eventually deleted him and made Trevize, been playing him ever since.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • edited December 2014

Krypton said:

- Druids (and Sentinels) could kill everybody in their Grove using Grove Annihilate.

- You could do this:

"Bitchnuts!" you profane.
    - Shamans could pour tequila down your puppet's throat and intoxicate you to death.

Here's a fun one - when the recovery balance for paralysis (used to be a command, not a cure) was longer than the templar paralysis ability.

I also may or may not have been part of why magi cataclysm is no longer worldwide.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Bladefire, Guilds, Class channel, and me being a dumb kid guild-hopping.

And I vaguely remember first Pandora. She was neat.
  • Oh, I remember something else too...the horror of Estach and his legendary girth
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.