What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• edited November 2018
    At a sturdy village gate.
    The sun shines down, its rays broken only by the occasional wisp of cloud. A solid line of stone marks the foundation of a new village gate, becoming the northern most boundary of Thera. Directly in the centre of the wall is a freshly painted white wooden gate that stands open, welcoming all visitors into New Thera. Cobblestone has been laid into the ground, making a path that disappears to the south and into the village proper. A sparse carpet of short green grass covers the scarred earth and is dotted with many wildflowers that weave around the small, newly planted saplings struggling to grow here. Shuffling through his endless bag of vials, Rufio, the Receptacle Representative, looks around for more collectibles. There are 3 Infections here.
    You see exits leading north and south.

You pick up an Infection.

(Party): You say, "Since we are discussing it OOC, I'll let you know that I'm from Australia."
    (Party): Mariya says, "That does explain a number of things."
  • Driden said:
    Vastar said:
    Keorin said:
    Personally, I think there's probably ways to roleplay "I hate the gods and want them all to die" well. I think it would be about as irrational as you can get, and you'd need some strong reason, but it could be interesting.
    Though I am of course disapproving of those who would deny the ineffable nature of My existence (and, I suppose, that of certain Brothers), it is perhaps worth making a comment on this. Specifically the contrast between an "atheistic" viewpoint and a "misotheistic" viewpoint, and how you might roleplay one or the other.

Atheism, at least in the context of "does not believe gods are real" within Achaea's setting, does not really exist. The Gods are a very real, very evident presence on both the Prime Material Plane and on any other Plane in which They might take an interest. This is helped, of course, by how during the eons upon eons and millennia upon millennia before Maya's unfortunate run-in with the Horror, the Gods and Aldar explored near-endlessly across the multiverse. Achaeans live in a very large universe. While the world of Achaea was the Aldar's pride and joy on the Prime Material Plane, there is much more out there.

Anybody claiming that the Gods don't exist quite possibly never encountered the Gods at all. This may well have in fact happened, as the multiverse is a vast place with countless universes within its borders, though to keep potential stories intact for the future no details will be provided. Or, and this is the more likely of the two, that mortal is simply mad and delusional. In some cases, a Divinity might be merciful to the poor, insane mortal. In others, annihilation is a swift response, especially if the God were to feel insulted (and this may also constitute mercy in the minds of some Gods). In brief, take Achaea to be in most aspects a polytheistic society. For example, a (denizen, at least!) merchant setting out on a trading voyage to various islands via a ship would probably offer some sort of prayer to not just Prospero (for wealth and success), but also to Neraeos (for calm seas) and Vastar (for good winds and easy skies). If that merchant were also to possess a certain, shall we say, more ruthless streak, they might also offer prayers to other gods, such as Sartan (strength according to the Truths, or to endure).

This would be noticeably divorced from a misotheistic viewpoint. Misotheism, or more accurately dislike, even hatred, of the Divine, is a view that can be and has been explored within story arcs before, up to a certain point. The Tsol'teth believed that while the Gods existed, They were not insurmountable as They claimed* to be, nor were They unkillable as the War of Humanity proved, and that They were not worthy of worship. And so they worked, for long centuries, in order to create their own Divinity as a proof that they didn't need the Gods of Ayar's Creation. This is honestly, I think, not something that should be expected in an achievable sense by modern Achaeans, though dedication to that goal would certainly be admirable. It took all the Tsol'teth mastery, accompanied by their meld and the singular devotion of their entire race (and certain dark deals made with Slith), to make that happen. Even then, it was only with the lack of certain paths of intervention by Achaeans that they could bring it about, though it has certainly produced a most interesting Divine character for the Tsol'teth plotline and wider Achaea (including the reaction of the other Gods) going forwards!

Regardless, it is a view that can certainly be held by players, if they wish to do so! A sailor who was abandoned by Neraeos and continually set adrift at sea, for example, might have reason to hate Neraeos for cursing his or her life so greatly. Or a merchant who meets with nothing more than failure in every business venture might come to at first wonder why Prospero abandons him, then move on to hating Prospero (and perhaps even denying Prospero as worthy of worship, instead choosing to worship Sartan or Twilight or Babel or Vastar or who knows). But, given the as-noted real and evident presence of the Gods, it is not something that players should expect will not have repercussions at some point along the line, if not multiple points. That may be Gods deciding to play with what amounts to an uppity bacterium (often involving a zap), it may be Gods deciding to ignore things that are frankly far less than Them and Their plans (which could well span all Creation if not beyond!), or it may be Gods simply deciding that the mortal is not worth Their time or effort and delegating such incidentals to Their dedicated followers.

Ultimately, the course of RP for your character is up to you to determine. In particular, though, I would note that how you choose to interpret a misotheism route is as important as taking the route itself. Given the individuals against which you would be setting yourself, it is perhaps even more important.

* I of course am willing to offer any mortal who thinks Myself less than insurmountable a reasonable chance to prove their claim. By which I mean I shall hold down the zap key with My Divine finger until they understand the depths of their mistake.

I think I should also chime in on this a bit. I feel as though people may have misunderstood my role play which isn't all that surprising, considering how bad I am at it. Driden's view point isnt hatred of the divine for hatreds sake. I understand why people may have mistaken it for that. (of course i as a player also dont hate the people who play gods. hope thats obvious.)

To be brief about my logic since I prefer to rant about it in game. Much more fun. Driden does not believe the divine to be true gods. He has come to believe them to be only slightly higher beings than mortal's. Like mortals are to sheep. The gods can zap us with barely an effort. An we can zap sheep with barely an effort. So more of a food chain thing.  He does not believe them to be all powerful or even the creators of everything. Somethings sure but not everything.  The idea there is just as the smith can create dwarfs we can create clothing. So his belief is that depending on where a being falls on the universal food chain, also dictates there power to influence reality. Some divine can create living beings with free will. We can create physical constructs and lesser beings than mortals, Mainly animals can create nothing of note. 

So how does this tie into his current state of loathing for divine? That's a bit more complex and not 100 percent worked out but it goes something like this. 

Slith proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that lesser beings can on there own strike up on the food chain. Previous beings have proved the food chain can be climbed. 
    This confuses Driden greatly. At this point he is a devout worshiper of the (greatest) divine @Sartan. The question posed is how can such great beings of power "die" The answer found is that the divine gain some sort of power from the worship of mortal's. Those with few are vulnerable.

The Tsol'teth then prove that lesser beings on the food chain can even create there own divine. This proposes that there may even be beings greater than divine. It also shows that when a group of lesser beings combine and work together they are capable of great works that can reach the divine. Proving again that lesser beings can strike up the food chain. 

He compares the state of Sapience to the state of the Tsol'teth. It becomes obvious that they were united as one in there goals. It also becomes obvious that mortals are divided and scattered. Fractured in there beliefs and there goals. 

What then are the main catalysts of this division? You guessed divine? Indeed that is Driden's belief.  

The next major question to answer. Is the division purposeful and calculated? Or just the state of the natural development of our history?  Well if like Driden you think that the divine need mortals to gain power, Then you would most likely think that the division is purposeful and calculated. 

So Driden believes that the divine have concocted this fake warfare with each other. So that no divine could get all the followers they crafted there identities. evil, good, nature,etc. They did this to more or less compete without bloodshed of there own for power. They did this to also make sure that lesser beings could not threaten there existence. If mortals never unite as one then there is nothing to fear from them. 

Driden thinks that because of the greediness of the divine, mortals have been robbed there ability to grow as a species. As a unit of people. Unlike the Tsol'teth for the most part. We as a race of mortals do nothing but bicker and fight each other on what aspect of our realities is the better one. Constant warfare keeps us from moving up the food chain so to speak. 

Combine all of that with some dabbling in the occult and TADA! you have a slightly insane mortal with the belief that the divine leech off of mortals and rob them of there ability to evolve as a species. 

Now I understand why people think my roleplay is just hate the divine. I would hope that those who read this know that thought was put into it an that I am not just attention seeking with minimal effort roleplay. I have mainly been known for simple roleplay and interested in PK. I am now interested in both and wished to have something more or less my own original roleplay to follow. This is what I have come up with. You dont have to like it. It goes against the grain I know. But please don't insinuate that i am addle brained and attention seeking. That is not my intention here. Just having fun. 

I understood when I called out to @Phaestus what the end result would likely be. I understood that my choices in the game would have consequences. I would likely die a lot and receive TDF. But i was rewarded with more roleplay from people asking why i did what i did.  A cool automaton thing that was awesome. an without a shadow of a doubt declaring to the entire player base that Driden was seeking out weapons or ways to strike out at what he views as oppressors. An hopefully as I develop my roleplay one day I will be rewarded with just that chance. 

Its been the most fun I have ever had in achaea. No i wont stop doing it. I enjoy it immensely. I dont really care what people think. Most are supportive and I believe I am slowly building a sect of people in the community who role play as a faction hell bent on destroying all divine. One thing at a time though.  

thanks for reading!
    I'm sorry I missed this whole thing. Well done, I reckon. Moar player-driven RP please, all the time!

(Party): You say, "Since we are discussing it OOC, I'll let you know that I'm from Australia."
    (Party): Mariya says, "That does explain a number of things."
  • Asmodron said:
    Keorin said:
    Much as I enjoy playing there overall, there are certainly things to criticize about Cyrene, don't get me wrong .

With that said, I still think that shouting about how you want to kill all the gods, and supporting that as city leadership, is a bit dumb.

What is RP?

Should Driden want to slay the Gods, then by all means. Even Twilight supported such a concept.

It was made clear to Driden he should not target Ourania and Twilight. He understood that.

By all means, give me a show.
    I mean my character understood that....remains to be seen if he decides that some divine are worthy of mercy. xx
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!

• 8 kills today! All hail the artie bow. 

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Driden said:
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
    you want to expand upon that or just fling shit like some god awful snob?
    You're trying to deny the very basis of the entire game and world that has been built up for 20 years.

• Cooper said:
    Driden said:
    Cooper said:
    You're trying to deny the very basis of the entire game and world that has been built up for 20 years.
    My character's reasons are backed up by story arcs established in the lore. the belief though arguably misguided does not come out of the blue. These ideas have already in some ways been explored in the lore itself. Hence the Tsol'teth inspiration along with the events surrounding that which influenced the belief itself. I feel as though you didn't even read the reasoning behind anything. which details how the RP relates to the lore itself. As I stated you dont have to like it. But your comment does not make sense. I think your dead wrong. If you have suggestions to how to go about the spirit of the RP then feel free to suggest them. But to suggest theres no basis for any of it and fling shit like an impudent child is just dead wrong. Thats all I have to say about the matter. 
    Cooper said:
  • Keorin said:
    Honestly, I think the line between what's good and bad rp is always gunna be so based on personal taste that it's pretty pointless to render judgement. I'm personally glad just to see people try to work more on the rp that interests them. So hey, if you've thought it out, and if it's not blatantly OOC or whatnot, then more power to you.

My point from the start, really, was that I don't think shouting these things to the world is the greatest way to go about it, and more to the point, that I don't think it makes sense for a city to tolerate someone shouting that. If someone's gunna publicly challenge gods, after all, that's probably not something you want your city associated with, for its own sake.
    Didnt seem like much of an RP to mutter inane insults to myself. From time to time I think it appropriate to address the very beings that are the subject of the RP themselves. Could definitely go about it with some more class for sure. But ive never been much of a roleplayer and this is my attempt at that. If you have suggestions to any exchange you happen to notice that would make me better and the interaction more interesting please feel free to share anytime. Helps a lot. 

That being said I have to disagree. I think picking the one city of free thought and expression plays greatly into the RP itself. I am free to believe anything I want in the city and express that however I want. As long of as the spirit of Hashan's law is obeyed there is no reason to assume that the city itself is responsible for the actions or words of a single citizen. 
    Cooper said:
  • You have been awarded with the hood of a cloak of the Blood Maiden talisman piece!

Woot Finally!
  • Cooper said:
    Driden said:
    Cooper said:
    My RP for Accipiter was always that she is so crap at combat any mortal can destroy her just as quick as the gods, so she may as well treat the gods the same way she treats mortals.

But then I was always bad at RP.
  • edited November 2018
    You have found a purple eagle's feather (level 1) talisman piece!

Only two left to go! (At this rate, another couple RL months)
  • Driden said:
    Keorin said:
    Honestly, I think the line between what's good and bad rp is always gunna be so based on personal taste that it's pretty pointless to render judgement. I'm personally glad just to see people try to work more on the rp that interests them. So hey, if you've thought it out, and if it's not blatantly OOC or whatnot, then more power to you.

My point from the start, really, was that I don't think shouting these things to the world is the greatest way to go about it, and more to the point, that I don't think it makes sense for a city to tolerate someone shouting that. If someone's gunna publicly challenge gods, after all, that's probably not something you want your city associated with, for its own sake.
    Didnt seem like much of an RP to mutter inane insults to myself. From time to time I think it appropriate to address the very beings that are the subject of the RP themselves. Could definitely go about it with some more class for sure. But ive never been much of a roleplayer and this is my attempt at that. If you have suggestions to any exchange you happen to notice that would make me better and the interaction more interesting please feel free to share anytime. Helps a lot. 

That being said I have to disagree. I think picking the one city of free thought and expression plays greatly into the RP itself. I am free to believe anything I want in the city and express that however I want. As long of as the spirit of Hashan's law is obeyed there is no reason to assume that the city itself is responsible for the actions or words of a single citizen. 
    The following is not meant as an attack, just RP advice.
     Muttering inane insults to yourself can actually be excellent RP: your character should exist even when no one is looking at him. 
    Shouting tends not to be a great RP vehicle unless used -very- judiciously. It looks like attention seeking, whether or not that's what that is, because it's heard across the continent. Which is why the last thing I heard someone say Driden's shouts reminded them of was that time an Eleusian got zapped for shouting "My n-word". This is probably not the impression you were going for.
    If you want to address the gods personally, you don't need to shout. They see and hear a lot more than mortals do.

Except me, because I see all and know all*, obviously. 
    *only applicable when eye sigils are not thrown

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Seriously fun skirmish between @Taryius & @Davok and @Kaden & me. I love this kind of stuff, specially as I cannot actually go raiding and such <3

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
    Finally!

You viciously jab Thoth's fang into Sir Temelin, Knight Commander of Moghedu.
    You have scored a CRITICAL hit!
    You have slain Sir Temelin, Knight Commander of Moghedu, retrieving the corpse.
    A smooth sable shard appears and clatters to the ground.
    Numerous golden sovereigns spill from the corpse.
    You have completed the Moghedan Genocide resolution! Congratulations!
    You just received message #1245 from Achaea.
    You just received a group of 10 mementoes!

• Sweet baby Jeebus.  This is the first one I took when Resolutions first started.  FINALLY.

You have slain a goblin guard, retrieving the corpse.
    You have completed the Dakhotan Genocide resolution! Congratulations!
    You just received message #413 from Achaea.
    You just received a group of 3 mementoes!

• Prophet Mezghar Al'Jafri brands you a traitor to Targossas and casts you out.

Whelp.

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • TalamondTalamond Atop his throne of books
    I told you not to make bacon jokes.
  • You left -again-? Make up your mind  :p
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • edited November 2018
        Channeling the fury of battle, you prepare to unleash a brutally swift stroke against your foe.
    Drawing back Southern Ethos, a Grand Pa's Hammer, you unleash a flesh-mincing blow at a knight of
    the King's Guard.
    The coalescence of power suffusing you empowers your blow.
    You have slain a knight of the King's Guard, retrieving the corpse.
    Your soul cries out in ecstasy as it reaches new heights of power. You have advanced to level 127.
    You have reached the illustrious level of 8th Level of Penwizian Fortitude.
    A large pile of sovereigns spills from the corpse.
    The death of the corpse of a knight of the King's Guard fuels the fires that rage within an armoured
    charge tank.
    You feel a surge of energy course through your body as a sycophantic shoulder cape feeds upon the
    lifeforce of your fallen foe.
  • edited November 2018
    Dochitha said:

I'm happy for you getting to nerd levels, but... I have to ask.
    Wtf is with those hammer names...

• Torinn said:
    You left -again-? Make up your mind  :p
    Where’s the fun in that?

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Pyori said:
    Dochitha said:

As a follow-up, what the fuck is a "Grand Pa" even supposed to be?
  • Pyori said:
    Dochitha said:

Antonius said:
    Pyori said:
    Dochitha said:

As a follow-up, what the fuck is a "Grand Pa" even supposed to be?
    I am the Grandest Pa. Hammer is Southern Ethos. Bastard is Southern Tables.

They mean, uniquely Dochitha.  ;)
  • I guess it still counts as unique, when normal people wouldn't have an inkling of a thought to name their stuff that way in the first place.