What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• @Byakko How much gold did you generate in ship trades during the last year?

• Melodie said:
    You got shrubbed not only for abusing a hugely gold-generating bug, likely for months and months, but also using ANOTHER bug or two to cut down sailing times to make that gold generation even more insane than it already was.

If you don't get that, you really, honestly should probably find another game and not even appeal after the single year. Logic is necessary to play Achaea to its full extent and enjoyment.

Obviously, if the admin find it easier to just shrub people than own up to their own mistakes. The help files on the homeport crap don't state anything about "using it as a last ditch effort" ...

Homeport (Seafaring) Known: Yes ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Syntax: INVOKE HOMEPORT Details: This powerful seaspell will return your vessel to the harbour that it last departed. Once cast, the spell will summon a powerful storm to transport you great distances.

Where in that does it say "ONLY USE THIS IN EMERGENCIES!!" Where does it say, "DON'T USE THIS IN A PORT!!"

Logic has nothing to do with it.. And still no answer as to why the others that did this same thing haven't come to the same fate.
  • Noted.. if you come back to a game you haven't played in forever you have to scour news posts for a bug you may have missed in the off chance that it could get you shrubbed some day with no warning. Got it.
  • SharaShara Midlands
    Melodie is exactly right. I hadn't even heard of people using it on a regular basis. Would be interesting to know the how many really were. I'd like to hope the intent of the ability did make it's way correctly to the majority of the players.

Anyhow, I think you are kind of forgetting the "flavour" of the risk which is right under that paragraph in AB HOMEPORT. Something you didn't have to go back and read. You just read it yourself to post it. 

"Be warned, using the Homeport ability will come at a great cost,
    destroying your figurehead in the process (or draining and dismounting
    resetting ones). Your vessel must be in prime condition to withstand the
    rigours of this journey, and any damage to this ship while returning
    will cause the spell to fail."

If this was meant to be anytime, any situation quick travel, it likely wouldn't have "great cost" and "be warned" attached to it. Hermit and Universe in tarot, Raido rune, etherchannel, piercing the vale all lack the contextual indications that it is not meant to be something used regularly and freely at low cost to the user. 
  • Atalkez said:
    Laedha said:
    I think they mean using homeport between harbours. I don't think that's an obvious bug. Seemed to me a reasonable use of the power given that doing it has a high time or gold or credit cost. 
    It was never meant to be what that was. If you read the announce post for it, it even states that it's not a fast travel ability. It's designed as an emergency escape from a mechanic that generally takes hours to get out of. 
    The announce post says it's useful for those situations. Doesn't say it's only intended to be used for those situations. Where are you seeing somewhere that it says it's not a fast travel ability? Also, are people supposed to know what's in announce posts from before they even existed? 

From reading the help scroll, I don't think there's any way to know that homeport's intended purpose did not include travel. I'm not defending the trading bug, I'm saying that homeport being used as a fast way to get home from Suliel (given that it will cost you 10k plus a trip near Zaphar to consecrate) seems like a reasonable use of the ability. 
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Laedha said:
    I'm saying that homeport being used as a fast way to get home from Suliel (given that it will cost you 10k plus a trip near Zaphar to consecrate) seems like a reasonable use of the ability. 
    So don't dock. That's the tradeoff if you still want use Homeport for travel.
  • edited April 2017
    I'm just stating what the intent was at the time of that skill going on, as far as I recall. The argument was sailing takes too long, emergencies come up and people wanted a way out of it. So that skill was given for that reason. 

Im not sure it was intended for you to use it several times a day or an hour.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • SharaShara Midlands
    Why would they intend to have quick travel be used as a way to not sail in open waters, when the entire point of seafaring at large is to sail the open waters and interact with people there?

If you want to get from Suliel to Tasur in a minute, there is an old Achaean saying: If you want convenience, there's an expensive artefact for that. It was called Chenubian Wings. Considering they very recently stopped allowing for outer island exits (Jan. 2017), I'd say it wasn't too much of a stretch to see the intent wasn't to allow you to bypass great distances and a time sink. Reducing a trip that can be more an hour of playtime to a moment, and a trip to Cyrene for a new pre-consecrated figurehead doesn't fall under "great cost." 

• ZahanZahan Valhalla
    I totally agree with @shara.  I was faux-dormant when the big seafaring changes were made.  I came back full-time and checked out the new skills - nothing else, didn't scour any news posts or anything.  

Immediately when I read homeport for the first time, I knew it was for emergencies, like having to take a dog to the vet.  It's so obvious that it wasn't for fast travel, that the thought it wasn't for fast travel never even crossed my mind.

The idea that it's for non-emergency fast-travel use, or even worse: "hey i can get a bunch figureheads and bounce across the map to complete dozens of ship trades, having to consecrate a new batch maybe once a day, and this is totally intended" is blowing my mind.  

I get the generation gap between old gamers and kids these days, but I mean... come on.
    Click here for Nexus packages
    Currently available: Abs, Cnote, Keepalive, Lootpet, Mapmod
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    I would note Homeport also has no minimum figurehead power cost. A freshly mounted figurehead with zero power will Homeport you.
  • @Morzakai did bug this issue months ago, it seems, and was told it was "working as intended" as far as two captains completing many trade deals.. Just throwing that out there. 
  • RyldaghRyldagh Ontario, Canada
    Byakko said:
    Logic has nothing to do with it.
    Uh...

• Semantics or intent aside, the fairness of using this tactic to generate gold could have been validated at any point with a bug report, issue or even just an informal message. There is basically no real excuse for going an extended period of time without doing this, when the income generation rate outpaced standard means (and dramatically at that).

• Now people's ships are being taken that weren't even involved in the trades. People's ships that were bought legitimately are gone.
  • "Legitimately" using gold earned from a bug.

• @Cooper ships that participated in the bug, so if someone lent a bugger their ship it got deleted. At least from what I know. Any admin/player feel free to correct me

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Cooper said:
    "Legitimately" using gold earned from a bug.
    Nah, if I'm understanding the message correctly, it's all ships owned by the account, not just ships purchased with bug-gold.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:
    Cooper said:
    "Legitimately" using gold earned from a bug.
    Nah, if I'm understanding the message correctly, it's all ships owned by the account, not just ships purchased with bug-gold.

That's exactly what I meant.
  • All ships, banks, and account gold has been wiped for them.
  • Issam said:
    Semantics or intent aside, the fairness of using this tactic to generate gold could have been validated at any point with a bug report, issue or even just an informal message. There is basically no real excuse for going an extended period of time without doing this, when the income generation rate outpaced standard means (and dramatically at that).
    I know of at least 3 reports that were supposed to have been submitted and 1 now confirmed from Frederich on this one. This sat around for a long time. That in no way excuses any of it, but it complicates it.

Gold exploits are kind of super obvious. When you can do something to outproduce other standard methods over time by a factor of 10 or more, you haven't discovered that one weird trick that makes other players hate you for being successful. You've discovered an exploit.

This holds true for quests, mobs, seafaring, mining, it doesn't matter. In any event, this is probably going to take awhile to sort out. That the high-rolling exploiters probably made gifts of what they bought is only going to make matters worse, honestly, and show how far reaching this actually is.
  • God if @Kaiu was one of these folks half the fucking ships in Achaea are going to disappear. 

• Heh, all this made double check on Greys (had a few people message me on skype), had me worried as it happened a couple times when I first found it (so maybe gamed 50-60k from the system). Afterwards, always brought in one person per trade. I was surprised how long it persisted. You could make decent gold legitimately but yeah it had a finite cap (usually was easy to find someone who had not done their trade for the month and was willing to for 2500 gold). 
  • Jinsun said:
    I really hope I don't have to represent some of y'all in real life trouble. Keep your fucking mouth shut if you did something dumb, then when you get caught, apologize and don't act indignant.
    You can represent Kresslack, the rest of them are beyond help on this thread :D

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Khaibit said:
    Jinsun said:
    I really hope I don't have to represent some of y'all in real life trouble. Keep your fucking mouth shut if you did something dumb, then when you get caught, apologize and don't act indignant.
    You can represent Kresslack, the rest of them are beyond help on this thread :D
    @Kresslack @Sarapis @Makarios

I'm gonna represent pro bono publico. Can I get a petition to suspend remainder of sentence hearing for my guy? I'm sure we can get some character witnesses. He's clearly amenable to correction, and to my knowledge doesn't have a history of prior violations or negative rulings. He may even be willing to be a witness against his co-defendants.