Commodities Acquisition

12346»

Comments

• Yeah, the argument was always exactly what you're scratching your head asking "wait, is she really saying what I think she's saying"?    

Me:  "Why do artie rapiers suck so much compared to forged/why are they so slow/shouldn't they be better (i.e. *faster* than forged")? 

Forging Peeps: "Artie rapiers don't suck, the to-hit is soooooo good, and the damage is nice, they're totally worth it".  Oh, they'd also say that they don't decay, to which my reply was "awesome, so this shitty sword won't decay".  What a deal.  

Whenever the topic came up, it pretty much went *exactly* like that for years, until more recently when a few actual combatants chimed in and said "umm, no guys, sure the to-hit is nice, but you're full of it, we really do care about that speed" (duh).  

That is why it was so incredibly frustrating, and why I am pretty much over the moon right now.  

Anyway, yes, Salik is such an amazing argument against probability.  And Salik is just a slightly crazier, more forum banned version of all our uber forgers over the years.  Having to account for uber forgers (or even just really lucky ones) is exactly why I as a non-com can understand the basic problem in this case.  Even with diminishing returns, if everything is balanced around the most extreme outlier weapons, you're right, now forgers really do have to keep at it like madmen to produce a few "viable" weapons.  Meanwhile, most of the game apparently has largely ineffectual weapons (even if we actually knew how to use them), and no one wants arties because they're an even shittier deal.

• Daeir said:

Supply and demand based in part on the massive amount of demand cultivated by the Mhaldor-Eleusis war. Ice doesn't need touching - it'll go back to being normal once this thing is done and gone again.

Steel and obsidian were legitimate issues. Ice? Not so much.

Ice should be sold in more than one location. Falaq?

• Rispok said:
    The concern about ice is mostly for the sake of enchanters. They need it to make... Stuff and things. I don't enchant, but I run a trade ministry. How am I supposed to supply my city with enchanting commodities if there is only one shop that is being vaporised because of forestal conflict?

While I fully understand that @Trey has rifts full of it to massage his hemorrhoids, this is still a legitimate concern for the average enchanter.

Oh I agree that it's a legit concern, I just wanted to make you scowl for a moment, Snidely Whiplash style.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

I suspect even if it were sold in more than one place, the situation would not change all that much during this war.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited August 2014
    Provide proof, Jules. I've been on the forums and in game much longer than you have, and I have never heard the argument that artie weapons are better for Knights than forged ones. *from a credible/reliable/knowledgeable source

My character was a Knight for hundreds of years and I'm one of the most outspoken people on the forums and have personally said that forged weapons are superior because of the speed.

Edit: Just google something like 'cooper artie rapier achaea' or 'artie rapier achaea' or 'forged rapier achaea' and you can see tons and tons of posts from years back where people say that forged weapons are better. And, hilariously (because Antonius is one of the people you've pointed out as being pro-forged rapier), Antonius defending artefact rapiers.

• edited August 2014

No no no.  I am completely on Antonius' "side" here.  Not opposing him.  Not at all.  I don't understand why you're thinking that, but whatever the reason, no, I am agreeing with Antonius.  But the whole forging, and especially forging vs. arties thing goes back *years* for me.

Here are a couple of very old threads (although it's clear from reading them that this isn't even quite the beginning).  I don't even see you in them, and it's possible you and I never argued about this back then (yay!), but these sort of give an idea of just how long this has gone on.  Over the years, there have been more iterations of this, basically.  Please don't ask me to find them all though, heh.  

Here's a fun one where people are actually accusing Jules of being "artied" because she spent 700 credits on those incredibly shitty Level 1 rapiers that no one should *ever* buy (or really, any artie rapiers).  Caine and Tuerney are wonderful and helpful in this thread.  

http://www.achaea.com/forum/artie-swords

Here's an interesting discussion where people simultaneously defend how "great" artie rapiers are while insisting that what is possible with forging shouldn't be changed, at all, and also basically calling Jules a sucker for buying those artie rapiers (that are so great).  What?

http://drupal.achaea.com/forum/fix-for-artie-rapiers

Kinilan from that thread:  

"NO! Don't nerf forging! It's bad enough as is! You only get suh crazy high stat weapons with alot of luck. Now if say the asp effect was lowered in price arti-weapons would look better. But normal weapons can be stolen and they only last 250 days. Arti-weapons last forever and can't be stolen. The only good thing about foring is that you CAN get such great arms and armour. If forging gets nerfed so that arti-weapons are the best ever then the skill itself will just die. Dropping 300 credits to make fullplate just isn't worth it. It would work out cheaper to never touch the skill and use gold to byuy credits and get some arti-weapons rather then spend the money to trans the skill and then even more money and time to forge something you know won't go beyond value X".

And here's one that starts with someone suggesting forged weapons should be repairable (heh).  It goes from there.  It's great that people at least get that this really would be taking things too far, but most still don't get that what matters is that these decaying uber weapons area constantly replenished by determined forgers, period.  

http://drupal.achaea.com/forum/weapons-0

So yeah, for *years* after that, pretty much the same arguments whenever it came up.  

And here is an example of Antonius dipping his toes in the waters of anti-probability (or at least far less variance in it) early on, although not the thread I was really looking for:  

http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/comment/13505/#Comment_13505

And one of the absolute worst things about all of this, as in the post above, is that when things get balanced around those "epic" outlier stats, you really do have to keep forging like a madman (or have an uber forger do it for you) to get what is now the de facto standard.  

• @Jules, make a different thread if you want to continue this diatribe.

• Hey man, if you're going to call me out, call everyone out, not just me.  I'd be fine with it being moved, either way.

• edited August 2014

Sorry for derailing this thread, but could someone who understands what Jules is arguing lay it out for me (ELI5 style), please? I clearly don't understand what she's meaning because the threads she posted only benefit the points I've been making (that people haven't argued that artefact weapons are better than forged ones - in the first thread she posted, she's the one arguing that forged weapons are better...).

Edit: After re-reading a few times I think I might understand. Will continue in PMs.

• I will give you this, Level 1 artifact rapiers are, without a doubt, absolutely garbage - even to non-combatants. 

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

• While the price of elemental ice might be down to the bargain basement fee of 513 per, this issue still needs to be addressed. For enchanters, ice is required for Stasis bags, brooch of Thoth, fire resist, icewall, mushroom sigil, waterwalking, and worrystone (might have missed one).

There needs to be more than one location for sale in addition to restock being changed if it hasn't been already.

• or we could have to live in a world where RP decisions still have economic, political, and military consequences. Deal with the ice shortage more creatively.

RP implications are one thing, but a commodity system from 1998 is another.

• There should be temporary shortages and huge costs. If the commodity system works in such a way that everything you need is always available and prices are never unreasonable, that's a bad thing.
  • Trey said:

Oh I agree that it's a legit concern, I just wanted to make you scowl for a moment, Snidely Whiplash style.

I am still of the opinion that, despite the Eleusis/Mhaldor conflict, Ice should be available in more than one location. It is perfectly reasonable that prices rise during a war, but it is unreasonable that a commodity is sold in only one locale. People who are forest enemies are unable to get to Tsol'aa reasonably in addition to the manifestly unjust ruling that enchanters must suffer.

The war depleting commodities is fine, but Ice has been a problem since before the current conflict. As I have previously suggested, Falaq'tor may be an option if the Garden doesn't have a different suggestion.

• Having been MinTrade for a while, I know that ice is still an issue worth discussion. I am not suggesting that the rate be increased to the same effect that Obsidian or Steel was, merely suggesting that a single supplier is redonk.

• One supplier of ice is fine. You should probably look at the amount of ice you're trying to stockpile if you're having trouble sourcing it. Outside of wars, I've never seen ice priced above the minimum in the Aalen, and it's very rare that I've seen it below 250 stock.

• Kinilan said:
    Trey said:
    Steel seems to be petering down. I didn't see one village over 200 per today (although the quantities were hit). If we can start leaving the reserve 10 there so the price doesn't jack up so much we should be good! I bought 40 at 121 per earlier.

I bought 250 at 66 :P

Oh, you are -that- person. No surprise there.