Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Moods are going away

13

Comments

  • JamethielJamethiel AdelaideMember Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished

    So, I commonly do something like this:

    tell liliana Hello thre!

    Then I'll realise I've got my spelling wrong and do:

    tell liliana *there even

    Now it does:

    You there tell Snow Flower Liliana Dawyn-Lucoster, "even."

    But I don't want it to do that. Make it stop!

    Jules
  • JulesJules Member Posts: 2,169 @ - Epic Achaean

    Just ask Lilian... and you'll know the answer.

  • JamethielJamethiel AdelaideMember Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished

    @Antonius I've been using such expressions, let's see, for about 25 years in various text based mediums including this text based game...

  • IocunIocun Member Posts: 3,506 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited May 2014
    Antonius said:

    @Jamethiel‌ Is it really that hard to use "Sorry, I meant there." or "There, even." or any other combination of actual words rather than an asterisk? I know it would require a tiny bit more typing but Achaea is a text-based game.

    I do personally like the use of asterisks for this, because it's not supposed to be another IC tell, but more like an OOC way to correct a prior misspelling, and the asterisks serves well to make it appear as such. After all, it's unlikely that Jamethiel's character actually used a weird word like "thre" in a telepathic or auditive channel.

    I feel that using full sentences for small corrections like these can sometimes actually create an unwanted emphasis on something that you wish to be glossed over.

    JamethielEilona
  • AntoniusAntonius Member Posts: 4,807 @@ - Legendary Achaean

    @Iocun: I've always treated those tells as IC, just presented in a borderline OOC fashion. Personally, I missay words all the time for a whole host of different reasons. Why would my character not be the same?

    If you really want something to be glossed over I generally find it's best not to mention it at all.

    ShirszaeKyrraNimKatzchen
  • IocunIocun Member Posts: 3,506 @@ - Legendary Achaean

    One does tend to misspeak, but usually in quite a different fashion than one misspells things.

    But yeah, I guess simply not mentioning it is the best bet in most cases. I usually try to avoid correcting myself too much, unless the misspelling is either actually confusing, or so embarrassing that I can't bear not to correct it.

    Rispok
  • KuyKuy Member Posts: 1,497 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    People who correct their grammar or slight misspellings should just stop.

    The fact of the matter is that others aren't reading what you're saying - they're hearing it. There is no difference to the ear between homophones, and slight misspellings are going to more than likely still sound te same.

    Unless it's so severe that you think someone would mispronounce it easily, don't worry about it.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
    NimKatzchen
  • SilasSilas Member Posts: 2,543 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Can you still use hyphens? I want to be able to passive-aggressively tell people to shut up.

    NimMelodieAerek
  • JamethielJamethiel AdelaideMember Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished

    @Kuy‌ Actually, I correct mispronunciations when I speak in real life too...it's not silly for people to correct themselves; I guess I could do  >:):

    tell *thisisreallyacorrectionofwhatijustsaidbecauseifreakoutwhenisaythingsinccorectlyoutloud liliana there.


  • KuyKuy Member Posts: 1,497 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Jamethiel said:

    @Kuy‌ Actually, I correct mispronunciations when I speak in real life too...it's not silly for people to correct themselves; I guess I could do  >:):

    tell *thisisreallyacorrectionofwhatijustsaidbecauseifreakoutwhenisaythingsinccorectlyoutloud liliana there.


    You do not understand, then.

    You do not need to correct homophones because you can't tell the difference.

    So, if anyone ever corrects someone publicly in an IC medium for the misuse of their, they're, and there, here and hear, or any other set, ask them why they're repeating the same word.

    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • JovoloJovolo EnglandMember Posts: 3,163 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    To be fair, you didn't explicitly say just homophones, but all grammar mistakes, which is a large generalisation. Jamethiel wasn't referring to mistakes regarding homophones as far as I can see.

    I do agree regarding them, though
  • EilonaEilona United KingdomMember Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Silas said:
    Can you still use hyphens? I want to be able to passive-aggressively tell people to shut up.

    You couldn't, but I bugged it and they said that the fix would be in soon.

    Silas
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USAMember Posts: 1,818 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited May 2014
    Silas said:
    Can you still use hyphens? I want to be able to passive-aggressively tell people to shut up.

    Echoed on the hyphens. I think that's a non-alpha character that still has a legitimate use in expressiveness.

    Edit: Somehow my eye jumped over Eilona's post.

    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • KaraiKarai Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    edited May 2014

    Just some praise, I love how poses and expressiveness were implemented. Some people will need to get used to it, like those who pose for being in a bathhouse now wading in the waters of the Crossroads.. I mean, damn. Admins already did away with Shallam with water, need some originality in redoing Hashan.

    Wei
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!Member Posts: 3,107 @@ - Legendary Achaean

    @Mithridates did he get zapped for that? please tell me he got zapped for that abomination

    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

  • MilenkaMilenka EuropeMember Posts: 28 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Hasar said:

    Seems we can't toggle the dragon moods off or certain parts of it (tells, says, etc.), and it's not a bug.

    Would like to be able to toggle parts of it off, or at least all of it off. And it would be nice to have it back in lesserform too.

    Agree with being able to toggle, but mostly frustrating that I can't speak Mhaldorian in dragonform anymore. My character always speaks in Mhaldorian when possible and I use dragonform most of the time. I can sizzle if I must, but I'd like to sizzle in Mhaldorian please. 

    ShirszaeSherazad
  • JamethielJamethiel AdelaideMember Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished

    Mispronouncing something, by definition, means that one has muddled the sounds of what one is saying up. That someone wants to role play muddling typing up as actually saying things incorrectly in character may be not what some want to do, but I do.

    PS. My attitude to this at the moment is similar to this quote: "No, the whole thing is wrong, and it stinks and I don't like it!"

  • SynbiosSynbios Member Posts: 4,561 @@ - Legendary Achaean

    Tharvis said:

    @Mithridates did he get zapped for that? please tell me he got zapped for that abomination

    It's posted in a clan, so I doubt that.

  • DraekarDraekar Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    toggle please, this forced moods in dragon is horrible

    Lyndee
  • TrevizeTrevize Member Posts: 1,517 @ - Epic Achaean
    Kuy said:
    Jamethiel said:

    @Kuy‌ Actually, I correct mispronunciations when I speak in real life too...it's not silly for people to correct themselves; I guess I could do  >:):

    tell *thisisreallyacorrectionofwhatijustsaidbecauseifreakoutwhenisaythingsinccorectlyoutloud liliana there.


    You do not understand, then.

    You do not need to correct homophones because you can't tell the difference.

    So, if anyone ever corrects someone publicly in an IC medium for the misuse of their, they're, and there, here and hear, or any other set, ask them why they're repeating the same word.

    A little late to this conversation, but what makes you think an English homophone would be an Achaean/(other language) homophone? You are arguing from an IC viewpoint there (sound vs sight), are you not?

    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • KuyKuy Member Posts: 1,497 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Trevize said:
    Kuy said:
    Jamethiel said:

    @Kuy‌ Actually, I correct mispronunciations when I speak in real life too...it's not silly for people to correct themselves; I guess I could do  >:):

    tell *thisisreallyacorrectionofwhatijustsaidbecauseifreakoutwhenisaythingsinccorectlyoutloud liliana there.


    You do not understand, then.

    You do not need to correct homophones because you can't tell the difference.

    So, if anyone ever corrects someone publicly in an IC medium for the misuse of their, they're, and there, here and hear, or any other set, ask them why they're repeating the same word.

    A little late to this conversation, but what makes you think an English homophone would be an Achaean/(other language) homophone? You are arguing from an IC viewpoint there (sound vs sight), are you not?

    So, you're saying we should correct our IC not-english by using OOC correction forms such as asterisks because a homophone in our OOC language might not be a homophone in our IC language, even though we're all pretty well-read individuals OOCly and can understand that our IC language is probably going to be pronounced very similar if not identically to english?

    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • MithridatesMithridates Member Posts: 1,956 @ - Epic Achaean

    holy shit shut up.

    TrevizeShirszae
  • KuyKuy Member Posts: 1,497 @@ - Legendary Achaean

    no u

    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • IocunIocun Member Posts: 3,506 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Htis conufses me :(
    JovoloNimTrevize
  • TrevizeTrevize Member Posts: 1,517 @ - Epic Achaean
    Kuy said:
    Trevize said:
    Kuy said:
    Jamethiel said:

    @Kuy‌ Actually, I correct mispronunciations when I speak in real life too...it's not silly for people to correct themselves; I guess I could do  >:):

    tell *thisisreallyacorrectionofwhatijustsaidbecauseifreakoutwhenisaythingsinccorectlyoutloud liliana there.


    You do not understand, then.

    You do not need to correct homophones because you can't tell the difference.

    So, if anyone ever corrects someone publicly in an IC medium for the misuse of their, they're, and there, here and hear, or any other set, ask them why they're repeating the same word.

    A little late to this conversation, but what makes you think an English homophone would be an Achaean/(other language) homophone? You are arguing from an IC viewpoint there (sound vs sight), are you not?

    So, you're saying we should correct our IC not-english by using OOC correction forms such as asterisks because a homophone in our OOC language might not be a homophone in our IC language, even though we're all pretty well-read individuals OOCly and can understand that our IC language is probably going to be pronounced very similar if not identically to english?

    Yes, I implied we should use asterisks and that Achaean is English. You caught me!

    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
Sign In to Comment.