Contracts

Comments

• Are the contracts from people quitting the Mark being handled differently? Seems a bit silly you could potentially lose points to, hypothetically, someone quitting Mark with a very short time left on an active target, you get it while offline, and the contract expires before you even know about it.

Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods

They're not, but they probably should. I'll put in a tweak that they get reset to a usable level in cases like that.

• I have one of those contracts right now.

I got a nearly expired contract dumped on me that I'm probably not going to have time to fulfill. No reason I should get penalized for having to take this leftover contract off somebody else.

Should just make those not deduct points if the mark that gets them doesn't complete them in time.

• I felt guilty having more contracts decay on me then most Champs probably saw since the system came in.

Hated that title anyway.

• People in the Naga house should have special terms for their contracts. Here's what I'm thinking

1) Disable bows for other members of the Naga house until the contract is complete.

2) Teleport naga to a room with 3 exits, all three of those have no other exits.

• People in the Naga house should have special terms for their contracts. Here's what I'm thinking

1) Disable bows for other members of the Naga house until the contract is complete.

2) Teleport naga to a room with 3 exits, all three of those have no other exits.

• StrataStrata United States of Derp

People in the Naga house should have special terms for their contracts. Here's what I'm thinking

Not sure why this is a complaint when you have one of the best methods of stopping automated archery bots from running away. Retardation.

• Hamstring > evade > retardation.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    edited June 2014

Big waste. Four Order contracts null and void because all four Marks are dormant. Not even sure if I want to bother hiring for the rest of the Order writs left because of this.

Edit: Oh wait I can't,  because all of those also disappeared while waiting on contracts from dormant Marks.

What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• NimNim
    edited June 2014

Based on the above, I checked my messages via the website to see if any of them somehow went to me, even though the last time I've logged in was 2014-04-17, and...

Sent By: Achaea on 6/04/3:12
    The Ivory Mark has selected you to act as champion in a matter on their behalf. Your reward will be 4564 gold sovereigns.

So apparently almost two months of dormancy isn't enough to not get contracts? Should I log in just to quit the mark, then?

• JamethielJamethiel Adelaide

@Iocun - just attack random people for tenuous reasons. It's not that difficult to become infamous.

• Iocun said:
    Tecton said:
    Sunny said:
    Jarrod said:

I don't think players should be allowed to pick their Marks, I think the system that determines whether someone is active enough to be assigned a contract should be re-evaluated and made stricter.

The idea and implementation are good ones, the thing that doesn't work is when contracts are assigned to 'active' Marks that are only active enough to be assigned contracts, but have no desire to complete them.

Perhaps those who don't wish to complete their contracts should no longer be marks? I think there should be a ic 10 month rule. If the contract isn't done in 10 months it fails. 3 failed contracts loses your status as a mark. @Tecton

This already exists with the Mark ranking system, if your rank gets low enough, you're ousted from the marks and refused re-entry.

Oh, wow, I didn't know that! I was staying mark because I didn't mind getting an abysmal rank and I wanted to keep the "I'm fine with being PK'd flag", but knowing that it might mean being ousted and not being able to rejoin at a later time when I might actually be interested in doing contracts means I'll probably log in right now and quit mark before it's too late.

Still a bit of a bummer I can't flag myself for being PK-willing without mark though.

Or just make a nice public post putting out a challenge to anyone.  A little roleplaying won't hurt!

• edited June 2014

My character isn't PK-hungry though, just I. That was the nice thing about mark: you could raise an OOC PK flag without actually having an aggressive character, which allowed other characters to initiate aggression against you.

Getting PK opportunities with a "brawler" or "murderer" character won't ever be a problem, mark or not.

• I just want more contracts :(:(

• I've lost points in rankings and haven't had a contract at all yet since I joined...not really sure why there should be a decay if you don't even get a contract.

• @Iocun‌ You could steal too, that'll get you infamous almost instantly and doesn't necessarily stick you in the random berserker/murderer category.

The Truths hurt. Always.
  • Heh, you need to earn your infamy!

• Suladan said:

@Iocun‌ You could steal too, that'll get you infamous almost instantly and doesn't necessarily stick you in the random berserker/murderer category.

If I didn't mind changing my character to get more PK, I would have just changed it to one who actually accepted/completed contracts.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm

I concur there needs to be some kind of "I'm available for PK" flag other than infamy and being a member of Mark. If there are people who are actively campaigning for an RP flag, then I don't see why we shouldn't have a PK flag too.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Jamethiel said:

@Iocun - just attack random people for tenuous reasons. It's not that difficult to become infamous get issued.

ftfy

Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited June 2014

Klendathu said:

I concur there needs to be some kind of "I'm available for PK" flag other than infamy and being a member of Mark. If there are people who are actively campaigning for an RP flag, then I don't see why we shouldn't have a PK flag too.

+1. And unless this has changed since I last played, there's already something very similar in the Rivalry system.

Just to put this out there, though, the only real purpose that this would probably end up serving (and I could care less if it ends up happening, because I won't have the flag on) is allowing people to kill one another with no IC reason. Because if you have a reason, then the person is already 'PK flagged' for all intents and purposes under the nuPK rules.

All that said... I can't help but feel that this is a derail. New thread for it?

ETA: Screw it, I'll start one.

Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Sylvance said:
    Just to put this out there, though, the only real purpose that this would probably end up serving (and I could care less if it ends up happening, because I won't have the flag on) is allowing people to kill one another with no IC reason. Because if you have a reason, then the person is already 'PK flagged' for all intents and purposes under the nuPK rules.

"IC Reason" can still be a vague thing though and usually requires a personal conflict of sorts. More general reasons like "I'm Mhaldorian, I'm an evil bastard" or "I hate grooks", don't count for normal PK.

Aside from that, there's not just the question of what's allowed by the game's rules. Most players are mature enough to have some personal restraint and don't just kill people just because they're technically allowed to - but they would gladly kill the same people if they knew on an OOC level that they don't mind being attacked.

• I've lost points in rankings and haven't had a contract at all yet since I joined...not really sure why there should be a decay if you don't even get a contract.

It makes sense. Everyone has a 2 point / year decay or so. That means if you're active it won't affect you, because you're active and doing contracts.

But if someone is dormant, they have no chance to 'fight back' the decay. By being active you have the chance to get contracts and complete them. They shouldn't exclude people w/o contracts from decay, because that would defeat the purpose of the decay.

As for the problem of getting no contracts, dunno, guess people not hiring; but the 2 pt universal decay was a good idea. Affects everyone the same, so it won't really affect active people, all the while accelerating the process of dumping out dormant people.

• They know who's legitimately dormant though. Why do they need to dump them out like that? They could just treat dormant marks as having left the mark system entirely, until they return. Why punish dormant marks and hirers just because the mark can't log in for a bit?
  • That's an entirely different problem.

There's no argument against the 2 point decay, though. It affects everyone point-wise the same, at the same time. People unable to complete contracts will go down just the same as active people completing contracts; however active people completing contracts will be able to stave off the 2 pt / year decay. 

Which, inarguably, accelerates (but doesn't necessarily SOLVE the problem of dormant marks) the process of bumping down dormant marks.

As for active marks who haven't got contracts; no idea, there may be a problem with the distribution or maybe the mark hasn't been in the system long enough.

It's entirely possible that someone has been a mark the whole time and never got a contract? I am unsure if that has occurred; but again, that is a different problem.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

To me, it seems like a flaw in the system to decay the rank of people who have not even had the opportunity to complete a contract simply because they haven't gotten one. It is not their choice, and really not their fault that they are active but the system is overlooking them.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Hasar said:

That's an entirely different problem.

There's no argument against the 2 point decay, though. It affects everyone point-wise the same, at the same time. People unable to complete contracts will go down just the same as active people completing contracts; however active people completing contracts will be able to stave off the 2 pt / year decay. 

Which, inarguably, accelerates (but doesn't necessarily SOLVE the problem of dormant marks) the process of bumping down dormant marks.

As for active marks who haven't got contracts; no idea, there may be a problem with the distribution or maybe the mark hasn't been in the system long enough.

It's entirely possible that someone has been a mark the whole time and never got a contract? I am unsure if that has occurred; but again, that is a different problem.

Think I was Mark before system went in, and I've yet to get a contract.

Is there an activity level per day/week or setting that maybe I'm not getting?

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • @Tecton Question because there seems to be no communication on it any more..do we get informed via message when a contract is successful or  fails? Because i haven't heard anything on mine and I know a lot of people have hired against a certain serpent and don't know anything about what's happening  with those contracts. Also I think a decayed contract should give half our money back..I mean if no mark want's to take the contract then we shouldn't suffer twice for wanting revenge on someone who tried to steal from us or attacked us...

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Sunny said:

@Tecton Question because there seems to be no communication on it any more..do we get informed via message when a contract is successful or  fails? Because i haven't heard anything on mine and I know a lot of people have hired against a certain serpent and don't know anything about what's happening  with those contracts. Also I think a decayed contract should give half our money back..I mean if no mark want's to take the contract then we shouldn't suffer twice for wanting revenge on someone who tried to steal from us or attacked us...

You can do CONTRACTS. If your contract is still listed there, then it has not been taken care of

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

This discussion has been closed.