Revisions to Mood system

edited May 2014 in North of Thera

I'm pondering revising the mood system pretty substantially. 

• Removing says, tells, shouts, and yells from moods.
  • Making the expressiveness system work with tells, and yells, leaving shouts as they were.
  • Turning moods into a slightly expanded version of Aetolia's quickposes system, where enter/exit are changed as well as room look. 
  • Getting rid of the adoption messages for moods. 

(We'd be refunding people who bought moods in this case.)

Comments

• Please for the love of everything at least go with the first point. I don't personally care about the rest, but the first, I would love you infinitely for.

• In the event that we ever get custom moods, could says still remain an option and/or give greater breadth to expressiveness? Voice/Accent are great, but it'd be cool to have more options, like 'Trey says in an arrogant drawl' or 'Sarapis says in an icy, formal tone' and stuff. That and the enter/exit are the only reason I was ever even going to consider a mood, was going to turn off everything else.

• Yes, please and thank you. :)

(Not that the initial effort wasn't appreciated!)

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• Less moods, more multiclass!

• I don't mind moods, but I don't think they need to be a part of everything that exists in Achaea.

• edited May 2014

@Sarapis : I would recommend running another Crown sale alongside the other promotions for the month you do this. Because the system will be revised, there will be people who due to the feedback and revisions will want to buy moods, and I presume there will be a number of people who did not buy moods previously who will do so now. It would be hard either to buy moods or to gain a clear perspective on how they're liked by everybody without a good deal of access to them by all of the players, including those who chose not to buy them before but might want to now. If I recall, the total number of crowns to buy all the moods in the SoW is currently like 26 crowns total, (if I am wrong about this, I apologize.) I am not sure how obtaining such an amount of crowns is possible for multiple people without a Crown sale going on. Just my two cents.

• Sena said:

For the most part, this sounds good. But I would actually like if certain special moods (just the dragon moods currently, but there's room to add others for different achievements) retained all of their messages. I'd like it even more if they were somehow limited (very high endurance or willpower drain?) to keep them from being left on 24/7, forcing them to be used more selectively.

Would be interesting to have moods that were conceptualized around intensity and drained will.

• @Sarapis

Remove the shouts please, and or make things a little less over the top in some areas. Your voice shouldn't be able to control the elements on a world scale.

I think everything else is fine. The says, tells, entrance/exit msgs and poses are all good ideas to improve Rp and expressiveness

• I can see how some people (or their triggers) don't like moods as is, but I thought MOODS OFF handled that.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I don't think the shadow mood is comparatively that bad (though I may be biased) but I don't mind these changes.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• NemutaurNemutaur Germany
    Ernam said:
    I can see how some people (or their triggers) don't like moods as is, but I thought MOODS OFF handled that.

Yeah but charging people for moods that then get completely ignored was probably a temporary fix.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

I rather like the second point. The first, not so much. But what I really want is a pose system free of the restraint currently in place for moods. For the love of holy, if you make poses, make them usable with expensiveness. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I hope you leave the says in atleast.

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    @sarapis: in terms of the refunds, will it be automatic or will we have to email?
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    I wouldn't mind leaving it as it is but I only switch between calm and fire anyways. No take the element moods away!

• BouffBouff The realm of insanity

Just leave the ability to ignore moods where it is and everything will be fine!

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA

I actually like the moods in tells and says. To me, that's the whole point of the system. Expressiveness is good, but I personally find it a hassle to use with every say, and it doesn't modify tells which I do want.

I would be on board with revamping expressiveness to handle tells/says, and use moods for in-room descs and enter/exit messages. I don't think any of the mood functionality is bad at all, just that some of the moods were jarring and over-used.

-- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I think that letting tells and whatnot be handled by expressiveness is certainly an important part of the solution, if only to stop people from just setting themselves to a mood and keeping it up when their actual tone doesn't seem to fit it at all

I'll also echo some of the above posts that I think the biggest success of the mood system really was the dragon moods (and the element ones, which are the same idea if over the top in certain instances), where rather then describing how the character feels they gave a certain persistent effect, which I was really looking forward to seeing be extended to Orders and the like.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA

To clarify (since I can't edit), if we're updating expressiveness, I'd like it if it became mood-like, where I could set my expression and it would persist. If we make it apply to tells, but I have to keep typing "*whateverly", that's what's always kept me away from the existing expression system.

Essentially two mood systems, one to handle tells/says, one to handle descriptions and enter/exits. Maybe that defeats the purpose of what we're trying to do here, but it's what I'd like to play with.

-- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Holy crap poses please yes oh god - HHRungk!

• The only hting that I dislike about moods is that it does not show the language in which you are talking to, which causes me issues at times because I keep the track and speak Mhaldorian to heathens.

For all other things, I really like it as it is, for every part is switchable so you can customize what you want to use, and people who dislike it can turn it off.

Therefore do not see at all why it has to be changed.

• JamethielJamethiel Adelaide

Personally, I like the current mood system; but I'm known to be old, grumpy, cantankerous and deliberately disagreeable.

• It was a good experiment flavour-wise but it convoluted the game quite significantly and detracted from immersion in some scenarios. 

Two scenarios I can think of are : 
    • People not adjusting their mood according to a change in a scenario.
    • Overblown custom moods with no RP justification behind them(fire, ice, shadow, etc)

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • KerriaKerria The Red Lioness

the only thing I'd like to really change about moods is during tells...

Through the snapping and popping of flames, Eril tells you,
    Through a veil of fine mist, Liliana tells you,

Kerria sadly tells you,

With determination, Kerria tells you,

I've had to edit how my chat box catches tells so many times... I'm not even certain I've gotten them till I've missed it. Either keep it uniform, or similar enough that it wont catch how many times someone say "In tells I sad" and bring it over to the box... because it does. And that makes me sad.

• Kerria said:

I've had to edit how my chat box catches tells so many times... I'm not even certain I've gotten them till I've missed it. Either keep it uniform, or similar enough that it wont catch how many times someone say "In tells I sad" and bring it over to the box... because it does. And that makes me sad.

You don't have to trigger off the actual tell text - you can just use gmcp. All tells are already labeled by gmcp as being tells, regardless of what form they take. You can find some tutorials on gmcp here: http://www.ironrealms.com/gmcp

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Sarapis said:

You don't have to trigger off the actual tell text - you can just use gmcp. All tells are already labeled by gmcp as being tells, regardless of what form they take. You can find some tutorials on gmcp here: http://www.ironrealms.com/gmcp

I'd love to do that, but lack the skill. Someone did send me some rough details, but not enough that i was able to do it ... someone please post a script

To get back on topic, I liked the idea of moods, but not the implementation and descriptions. Having said that, Klendathu has the blue dragon mood on permanently because he's a dragon, and I've always thought it'd be nice to have some kind of physical mark when in lesserform that shows draconic status.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • If the Moods were still in SoW for 1-2 MCs (2 for the 'big' ones) I would 100% rebuy Shadow Mood after a refund (the movement/LOOK were the best part), at 4mc I'm not sure.

Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• BouffBouff The realm of insanity
    Sarapis I think meant something like this..

90% of the credit for this goes to that one guy who I shamelessly took it from but can't recall,  I just like the way he strips the markup tags a lot better than the way I originally did, I know someone will pipe up with his name.  It works, or should at least, for the popular tabbed chat script out there that I can't recall the name of.  It is set up for tells only just disable the tells tab on your tabbed chat script and enable this.

gmcpchat = gmcpchat or {}

gmcpchat.enabled = gmcpchat.enabled or false

gmcpchat.disablenamedb = false

-- function to enable GMCP Communications messages

gmcpchat.enableCommChannel = function ()

sendGMCP([[Core.Supports.Add ["Comm.Channel 1"] ]])

gmcpchat.enabled = true

if gmcpchat.startTrig then

killTrigger(gmcpchat.startTrig)

end

end

-- function which we use to translate ascii color codes from in the message using our lookup table

gmcpchat.translatecode = function (highlight, fgnum, bgnum)

if bgnum and (tonumber(bgnum) or 0) < 40 then

-- wierd scenario where it highlights using the background field, bloody IRE...

return string.format("<%s>", gmcpchat.lookup[((tonumber(fgnum) or 0)*8)+(tonumber(bgnum) or 30)-30])

else

return string.format("<%s:%s>", gmcpchat.lookup[((tonumber(highlight) or 0)*8)+(tonumber(fgnum) or 30)-30], gmcpchat.lookup[((tonumber(bgnum) or 40)-40)])

end

end

-- function which takes the raw data from gmcp.Comm.Channel.Text.text and fixes all the ascii escape codes

gmcpchat.escapefix = function (text)

local result = text:gsub(string.char(27).."%[(%d);(%d+)m", gmcpchat.translatecode)

result = result:gsub(string.char(27).."%[(%d);(%d+);(%d+)m", gmcpchat.translatecode)

return result

end

-- tie in nameDB highlighting.. just because we can.

-- NOTE: I'm sure theres a better way of doing this, I just couldnt find it in the API.

-- suprised there wasnt a ndb.highlightnames type function.

gmcpchat.highlight = function (text)

-- no namedb, no highlighting..

if gmcpchat.disablenamedb or not ndb then return text end

local names = ndb.findnames(text)

-- no names to highlight, just return it as is..

if not names then return text end

-- find our lines base color.. (note this is non greedy so it doesnt match the whole string)

-- note: defaults to <reset> if we cant find any color matching for simple white on black clans

-- otherwise the namedb highlights wont reset at the end of each name and we get bleeding.

local basecolor = string.match(text, "<.->") or "<reset>"

local color = nil

local result = text

for _,v in ipairs(names) do

color = ndb.getcolor(v)

if color then

-- this is ugly, just required to anchor to non word characters

-- this stops us highlighting sub sections of bigger words..

result = string.gsub(result, "(%W)("..v..")(%W)", "%1"..(color or "")..v..(basecolor or "").."%3")

end

end

return result

end

-- this is our event handler

gmcpchat.textevent = function ()

if not string.starts(gmcp.Comm.Channel.Text.channel, "tell") then return end

demonnic.chat:cecho("Tells", gmcpchat.highlight(gmcpchat.escapefix(gmcp.Comm.Channel.Text.text)).."\n")

end

-- register our event handler function

registerAnonymousEventHandler("gmcp.Comm.Channel.Text", "gmcpchat.textevent")

gmcpchat.enabletrigger = function ()

gmcpchat.startTrig = tempRegexTrigger("^Your last login was from domain\: .+\.$", [[gmcpchat.enableCommChannel()]])

end

registerAnonymousEventHandler("sysConnectionEvent", "gmcpchat.enabletrigger")