Ask your Producer: Year 650 Edition

Comments

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Nim said:
    That's how you do things? x:

I wonder why you couldn't just move the actual lookup to the player, and just set/clear artefact power flags as they gain/lose the items that contain the actual benefits. Might not be so great giving every single Achaean a flag that says they don't, in fact, have a Level 2 Veil, but I feel like auction items are a bit different from ordinary artefacts anyway.
    Well, that doesn't take into account things like artefacts like the Shackle of Garash that people wear/remove for the effect, for the very first problem that pops into my head. But we're not really here to talk about how things are coded - next question!
  • Tecton said:
    Nim said:

I wonder why you couldn't just move the actual lookup to the player, and just set/clear artefact power flags as they gain/lose the items that contain the actual benefits. Might not be so great giving every single Achaean a flag that says they don't, in fact, have a Level 2 Veil, but I feel like auction items are a bit different from ordinary artefacts anyway.
    Well, that doesn't take into account things like artefacts like the Shackle of Garash that people wear/remove for the effect, for the very first problem that pops into my head. But we're not really here to talk about how things are coded - next question!
    Gain/lose meant, for a lot of artefacts to my knowledge, wear/remove. For weapons with effects, it might even mean equip/unequip! I'd also considered that a small counter might be better than a boolean flag (even if it just goes to 2) so that you don't have to see if they're still wearing the effect via another artefact every time they lose one (unless the counter's reached its max - a somewhat uncommon situation even for small maximums). There're likely more things to consider regarding how the internal engine works that I simply cannot consider without knowing how it works, but don't think I haven't thought of those basic issues at least - those words wound me. :(

My response was mostly out of surprise rather than expecting any dialogue, though, since it looks like a lot of players (especially combatants) can easily have 100+ items in their inventory - unless you have the inventory lookups so they aren't significantly affected by how many items a player has, in which case, kudos for achieving that!

An actual question: Currently, every city but Cyrene and Hashan has its own factional classes. Those two cities are forced to deal with other cities for factional abilities (Cyrene with Targossas and Hashan with Ashtan), potentially weakening their own personal factional identity in the process. Is this viewed as a good thing or a problem, and if the latter, have any solutions been considered?
  • When is Ashtan getting Chaos Knights?
    Nim said:
    Tecton said:
    Nim said:

Gain/lose meant, for a lot of artefacts to my knowledge, wear/remove. For weapons with effects, it might even mean equip/unequip! I'd also considered that a small counter might be better than a boolean flag (even if it just goes to 2) so that you don't have to see if they're still wearing the effect via another artefact every time they lose one (unless the counter's reached its max - a somewhat uncommon situation even for small maximums). There're likely more things to consider regarding how the internal engine works that I simply cannot consider without knowing how it works, but don't think I haven't thought of those basic issues at least - those words wound me. :(

My response was mostly out of surprise rather than expecting any dialogue, though, since it looks like a lot of players (especially combatants) can easily have 100+ items in their inventory - unless you have the inventory lookups so they aren't significantly affected by how many items a player has, in which case, kudos for achieving that!

An actual question: Currently, every city but Cyrene and Hashan has its own factional classes. Those two cities are forced to deal with other cities for factional abilities (Cyrene with Targossas and Hashan with Ashtan), potentially weakening their own personal factional identity in the process. Is this viewed as a good thing or a problem, and if the latter, have any solutions been considered?
    From a very high level, no, not ideal - but there's many hundreds of years of in-game history there that can't really just be swept under the rug (especially in the case of Cyrene and Shallam/Targossas). 

Yep, solutions have been considered, some are in play currently!
    Jurixe said:
    Somewhat related to @Ruth's question, but could we have something like a tellmote? The way I see tells is of a sort of mental link to the person's consciousness - it's not as simple as just conveying words, you can also sense emotions in ways that you might not be able to in a face to face conversation or, obviously, through messages. I've been sort of awkwardly circumventing this with brackets (@Hasar, @Kaevan and @Nocroth know how) but I would really love an accepted solution for this.
    Hrrm, kind of like a telepathic illusion?
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited March 2014
    : "Maybe I was wrong."

An errant thought floats through your mind, "Maybe I was wrong."

^My idea was that.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Annoying questions about boats:

Does the type of bait you use make any difference?

Does the location you're fishing at change the makeup of what kinds of fish you catch? Like more fangtooth in one area, or more tuna in another.

What actually increases crew xp and morale, other than the obvious ones such as the trade deals, cooking/artefact cook, time.

Why is shiplog still broken? It's been over a year.
  • UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
    edited March 2014
    Will there be any mayan crown promotion soon?

Also, is there a possibility to offer mayan crowns on an ongoing base in game (without promotion)? For example CREDITS CONVERT  <#> TO MAYAN CROWNS, a mayan crowns shop, an artefact that let's you buy a mayan credit per Achaen year, one mayan crown per Iron Elite membership month... anything?

The reason I am asking is that I bought credits hoping to buy some mayan crowns for a Shop of Wonders item, but it seems impossible to buy mayan crowns from any players these days. I guess it's been a while since last promotion.

My fear is that by next promotion my desired Shop of Wonders item will be discontinued. Could we have a way to reserve a Shop of Wonders item until next promotion - like ITEM RESERVE <ITEM ID>?

Edit: added an 'a' and capitalized Shop of Wonder ;)

Melodie said:
    I'm sure I'll have more, but one that's off the top of my head...

Are there any plans to change how artefacts work in any way, such as having the effect of an artefact go into an item of your choice, or the ability to "consolidate" artefacts? One of my main little pet peeves right now is how spammy a character looks when they start racking up enough artefacts (first world problems), and sometimes the artefact effect I need comes in an item I don't really need more of, or really fits the theme of my character.

So in short, is more artefact customisation going to be a possibility in the future? If so, how soon?
    The administration has been known to implement player suggested artefact alternatives in the past. Perhaps suggest some if there as specific artefacts you want item alternatives to?

Also, I have seen this artefact customization rework suggested in the past (at least once, maybe several times?) - but getting denied or replied to with a 'send an email to customisations@.. for help with your specific needs'.

@Tecton Makes me happy to hear that it's a least something that "might" (or might not) happen in a distant future, and not closed for debate ;)

• You can already get custom item type artefacts, it's just really expensive at 700 credits per. I've done it for one, considering a few others but not a priority. The sigils from the Shop of Wonders are great for hiding unwanted artefact types but they also get pretty expensive.
  • IsaiahIsaiah Georgia
    Is it true that the serpent skill venom is going to be divorced as a trade skill and if so can you give us a small glimpse of what might replace it?

Eat like a caveman, train like a beast. Champions are not born, they are made. 

• edited March 2014
    Rispok said:

To whomever fixed this, 3/12/10:34 Your bug report (detail: blah blah blah, ship logs) - has been fixed.

<3
  • ShadracShadrac Denton, TX
    Melodie said:
    I'm sure I'll have more, but one that's off the top of my head...

Are there any plans to change how artefacts work in any way, such as having the effect of an artefact go into an item of your choice, or the ability to "consolidate" artefacts? One of my main little pet peeves right now is how spammy a character looks when they start racking up enough artefacts (first world problems), and sometimes the artefact effect I need comes in an item I don't really need more of, or really fits the theme of my character.

So in short, is more artefact customisation going to be a possibility in the future? If so, how soon?
    My solution for this was to go and customize ever artefact that I owned that was visible.  For a couple of reasons.  Still doesn't get rid of the fact that my character is probably loaded down with too many items but helped a bit on some of the glaring-ness of it.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Kyrra‌ just wants to put totems that fire everytime a god she doesn't like logs in
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

Jurixe said:
    Tecton said:
    Jurixe said:
    Somewhat related to @Ruth's question, but could we have something like a tellmote? The way I see tells is of a sort of mental link to the person's consciousness - it's not as simple as just conveying words, you can also sense emotions in ways that you might not be able to in a face to face conversation or, obviously, through messages. I've been sort of awkwardly circumventing this with brackets (@Hasar, @Kaevan and @Nocroth know how) but I would really love an accepted solution for this.
    Hrrm, kind of like a telepathic illusion?
    Yes, something like that! Sometimes you want to convey a thought, or a feeling, but you don't have words to put it in so you just sort of visualise it in your head and project it to the person. In terms of feelings, I do stuff like [A vague sense of amusement brushes the edges of your consciousness.] or [Rage blazes through the link between your minds.] something like that.
    Ahh - I'd say file an IDEA and we'll take a look when time permits.
    Rispok said:
    Annoying questions about boats:

Does the type of bait you use make any difference?

Does the location you're fishing at change the makeup of what kinds of fish you catch? Like more fangtooth in one area, or more tuna in another.

What actually increases crew xp and morale, other than the obvious ones such as the trade deals, cooking/artefact cook, time.

Bait: More the type of bait than the individual variety.
    Areas: No, they're all pretty much the same
    Morale: Those things, killing seamonsters, wages, rations.
    Logs: They're not!

• Why do you hate ships? Are you really Tagg? How many dead babies/seals/baby seals do I need to offer before this long overlooked system gets some attention?

What I mean is in the timeline of things that are being worked on how far behind things like multi-class and other more pressing issues is the niche system that is seafaring?
    Kinilan said:

What I mean is in the timeline of things that are being worked on. How far behind things like multi-class and other more pressing issues is the niche system that is seafaring?

Fixed ;)

Kyrra said:
    Can I totem the Garden?
    You wouldn't like our rates... or the droves of Ugrach-level hounds we have patrolling the grounds.
    Utianima said:
    Will there be any mayan crown promotion soon?

Also, is there a possibility to offer mayan crowns on an ongoing base in game (without promotion)? For example CREDITS CONVERT  <#> TO MAYAN CROWNS, a mayan crowns shop, an artefact that let's you buy a mayan credit per Achaen year, one mayan crown per Iron Elite membership month... anything?

The reason I am asking is that I bought credits hoping to buy some mayan crowns for a Shop of Wonders item, but it seems impossible to buy mayan crowns from any players these days. I guess it's been a while since last promotion.

My fear is that by next promotion my desired Shop of Wonders item will be discontinued. Could we have a way to reserve a Shop of Wonders item until next promotion - like ITEM RESERVE <ITEM ID>?

Edit: added an 'a' and capitalized Shop of Wonder ;)
    No plans to change the way Mayan crowns are distributed or obtained at the moment, our last promotion finished at the end of October last year, so it has only been a couple of months. I'm sure there will be a sale some time this year, and you'll probably want to be around for the Y650 games, where crowns make an appearance as prizes from time to time!
This discussion has been closed.