Auction Speculation

What are folks hoping will come up in the auctions?
Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
I take my hat off to you.

Comments

• I still want a dragonskin pack, I still have the customization done, but missed them last Shop of Wonders when they were available. I imagine if by chance one is offered, someone will be willing to pay more than I will for it.

and my har har item would be

Earring of the Gilted: While wearing this earring no one can use an earring of Sinope to come to your location.
  • Mishgul said:
    I hope they sell a wife, I need one of those. Irl wife that is.

You'll need to pay an arm and a leg for one of those.

And then the wife will leave you for someone with a complete set of limbs. foreveralone.jpg

• Quicker to find a woman you hate, give her half of all your <censored>, and cut out the years of bitterness and recrimination in between.
  • OT - I still want a BM Name Your Blade token.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I was going to suggest a token of pockets, but I realized if I did, we'd never see them in SoW, and I'd lose my chance at getting them. :(

Some of the previous SoW items would be nice - I'd love a kris. More flavour items (like the custom enter/exit message) would be nice too.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    8->
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I'd like to see another custom deathsight go up for sale. I bid on the custom enter/exit message last time, but never actually came up with something good for it so probably wouldn't bid again if one were offered.

Good gold auctions would be a plus, since I'm hoping to make a profit from credits being sold cheaply.
  • AlaricAlaric Canada
    A pouch of hag's knucklebones.

i would buy this

Cahin said:
    Obliterate was a fair and balanced ability and it's removal from puppetry and vodun should have been a crime.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    maybe a custom QL description?

I've always wanted to have people see me with my hand suspiciously deep in my pockets.

• NemutaurNemutaur Germany
    Non-decay bag of stasis.

All resistance rings in a single ring/bracelet.

More gare exits! Owner/creator dragon could chare 150g toll per use of said exit!
  • AlaricAlaric Canada
    a folding canoe
    a mystery box

Cahin said:
    Obliterate was a fair and balanced ability and it's removal from puppetry and vodun should have been a crime.
  • Antonius said:
    I'd like to see another custom deathsight go up for sale. I bid on the custom enter/exit message last time, but never actually came up with something good for it so probably wouldn't bid again if one were offered.
    I kind of hate custom enter/exit/deathsight/shout/kill/whatever messages. At best, whoever buys it writes something that isn't terrible. But like... why do you get to be such a special snowflake because you were willing to max out your cards the one time it was offered? How am I meant to react to that in-game? That you have butterflies follow you around, or charred, smoking footsteps that smell of brimstone, or whatever? It seems to go a step beyond the mere unique possessions sold in auctions, because things like this change what your character is, not just what they have. At least regular artifacts and customisations, eg. pets - while they can certainly be done badly - are equally available to everyone forever, which mitigates the "oh that's just something they bought in an auction" reaction.
  • I miss pocketbelts, I hope to find a pocketbelt.
  • Daeir said:
    The thing that gets me with those is that you are literally paying thousands of dollars for lines of text you will almost never see. 
    Pretty sure the custom entrance/exits were gold. The custom deathsight was probably credits, but almost entirely certain the entrance/exit was gold.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    AUCTIONS still shows the last auction, si you can see what went for credits or gold.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    If there is a custom deathsight i am putting 15k credits on that >(

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • @Daeir: "The thing that gets me with those is that you are literally paying thousands of dollars for lines of text you will almost never see"

I don't recall exactly how much the custom deathsight went for, but I don't think anybody was spending "thousands of dollars" worth of credits on it.

"Auctioned stuff should have distinct, imperative uses that make people want to buy them"

I bought level 1 gauntlets because I wanted to customise them. I didn't really need, or care about, the extra strength - sure, it's nice, but that wasn't the driving force behind my desire to purchase them. Perhaps that says something about me - primarily that I have too much disposable income, I guess - but I'm more than happy to pay to change the way something looks, even if it doesn't change the way it functions. Hell, my big customisation project for my wings is going to end up costing more than some of the smaller artefacts still on my "to buy" list.

Considering that several people (including myself) bid on these things when they were offered previously, and that I've expressed an interest in seeing them again, I don't think making people want to buy them is going to be an issue.
  • Full knowledge of a language... again.
  • Daeir said:
    The thing that gets me with those is that you are literally paying thousands of dollars for lines of text you will almost never see. You are paying that much money for an impression which most people will only ever fully read once or twice. Auctioned stuff should have distinct, imperative uses that make people want to buy them - like that pair of wings that went for 15k credits, or that stein which acts as a pair of wings but comes out at various inns rather than on the clouds.

I like to think the auction artefacts are actual artefacts over silly flavortext drivel, but to each their own, I suppose.
    How often exactly do you see any of the several Chenubian wings and the kinship stein being put to "distinct, imperative uses"? I'm sure Penwize uses his wings and some others of these are of personal use to their buyers as well, but in 95% of all cases they don't have a dramatical influence on Achaea as a whole and remain small quirks of individual characters.

And whenever someone really used such an item for "grand effect" over an extended period, that only created frustration all around.

I'm not quite sure how to react to Blujixapug's statement either. "How am I meant to react to that in-game?" - well, even the "mechanical" things people buy aren't all "possessions" in an IC sense. If you buy credits for lessons and trans survival, your character also didn't purchase anything. He simply learned to be good at surviving. So how's that any different "to react to in-game" as when somebody is being followed by butterflies?
  • @Iocun: The difference is that "getting more skilled" is a much more linear progression, and much more expected, than "suddenly has a chorus of demons singing his theme song" or "psychically projects untold stories into your head."

I guess it's the auction-winner's prerogative, but personally, I'd at least send events@achaea.com an email to put some kind of story behind it. Transing your class skills requires less explanation.
  • Well, not every form of customisation is as extreme as "suddenly has a chorus of demons singing his theme song". I'd venture a guess and say that most are quite a bit more harmless. Purchased customisations and free ones (i.e. your character description or custom emotes) aren't any different in that respect. Both can be done sensibly and both can be ridiculous.

The point is, the fact alone that you're the only one with a custom enter message doesn't make your enter message extremely peculiar on an IC level, as long as it's nothing particularly special IC - it's only extraordinary on an OOC level because nobody else has it. A person having a few butterflies flying around him is nothing hugely outrageous by itself. In the IC world of Achaea, most passer-bys probably wouldn't notice that at all and those who would would simply see it as "huh, that's kind of interesting".

When you have something really extraordinary, sure, better put a good story behind it. I don't think every good story needs to be fully played out through events@achaea.com though, nor even played out at all. Most of my custom arties and my pet have some sort of personal backstory which I will tell if somebody asks, but I certainly didn't ever make an event out of it.
  • Bought 4k credits in the past week....probally gonna get another few thousand before the auction starts.  I'm gonna win um! 

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Melodie said:
     (like the custom enter/exit message) 
    Man, this. I have always, always, always wanted to custom Tart's entrance to be noisy and jingly. I even asked about it 5 or so years ago, and was told the amount of coding behind it would be p. complex and so would be stupidly expensive.

Who got the first ones that were auctioned, and what'd they do with them? Anyone know?

• Doesn't Fendo have one?
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Fendo, Silvarien, and Tael. Silvarien's is something about untold stories in his eyes when he enters, and the leave is about him being swept away by ethereal visions. Fendo slinks in and out, something about light being drunk in by darkened skin. I have not seen Tael's, as I don't usually run into Mhaldorians besides raid defense!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby