What are you reading?

Comments

• TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    Brandon Sanderson... Anything that man touches becomes my new obsession... It's unbelievable how much I love his style, his characters, his plots, and in each series, he crates a new magic that is so different from any thing else I've ever heard of before.
    He is my inspiration to keep writing.
  • Robin Hobb is very good. Makes me so happy to read.
  • TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    Hobb is so good, when I read from one of the characters who was recovering from an illness, I actually felt sick myself until I got to him when he was better
  • I love Fitzchivalry.

Farseer trilogy made me so sad but happy.

Oh Verily, and sweet Burrich.... fuck Regal. What a dick.
  • edited November 2013
    Oh, you should also pick up Andy McNab's non fiction books. His novels are terrible, but his life makes for an amazing story.

ETA: I really enjoyed the Farseer and the Tawny Man trilogies by Robin Hobb, and the Liveship Traders trilogy is creditable mostly for the amazing Captain Kennit. But I found the Soldier Son trilogy unspeakably boring.

• JozlynJozlyn out of here.
    I know I've said it before but I highly suggest Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam series.  The first is Oryx and Crake which is simply amazing, followed by The Year of the Flood, and finally MaddAddam which I'm halfway through. 

All the plant talk has me thinking of @Direv because of his plant pictures.
     yes, sir.
  • FenFen Snappy Snappy, Takey Takey
    edited November 2013
    Just finished The Sicilian by Mario Puzo. So I went and picked up this beauty.image

I know it's hard to read, but that says copyright 1913. It's the oldest one I've got in my new (post-Katrina) collection.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Raising Steam. Just... Raising Steam :)

• edited December 2013
    I just finished Hobb's Farseer Trilogy myself, after having been introduced to it by people asking if the character name was in any way a homage to Prince Verity (which, of course, it is not!). It started out a bit rough. For the first 50 pages I hated the perspective the book was written in, but when I gave it another try I got swept up and spent most of the past while doing little but reading.

All in all, I really wound up loving the books! I have others I really need to start on, but I'm so tempted to just order the later books in the series right now.
  • I finished The Diamond Age a while ago. It's not actually a sequel to Snow Crash, which confused me at first. After a couple of hundred pages it became awesome. Then the ending. I don't even know. It certainly wasn't a bad ending. It was kind of a great ending. But it did leave me feeling like I missed something, some literary allusions or something that would have made it make more sense. I would say it's not necessarily as good as Snow Crash, but should not be compared - except that they're both sci-fi books from the same author, I suppose. Snow Crash was a cyberpunk book about a colourful hero in a grimy dystopian cyperpunk future going on an adventure. The Diamond Age was a book about a little girl growing up in a post-cyberpunk utopian future.

Also reading a Lovecraft anthology, and then I have Dracula which I started reading a few years ago but never finished.
  • edited December 2013
    I just finished The Name of the Rose for the third time, by Umberto Eco. :)
  • Neuroscience and Philosophy. // Content and Consciousness. // The Selfish Gene.

Can't wait until Christmas Break so I can give these the attention they deserve.
  • HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    2014 Toyota Sienna owner's manual. It's 800 freakin' pages. I might skip a few pages here and there. :/

• edited December 2013
    Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How it Transformed our World by Mark Pendergrast
  • Matriarch: Queen Mary and the House of Windsor

“There is no greater sorrow than thinking back upon a happy time in misery--”

• While rummaging through some boxes (unpacking is overrated, I've only lived here two years!) I found my copies of parts one and two of Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, which reminded me that the next book is coming out early-ish next year, so I'm re-reading in anticipation of that. Unfortunately I haven't found much time to read this week so I'm only about three chapters in. Might make a dent in that today and tomorrow, but I also have a growing list of things to watch on Netflix, so I'm torn.
  • Hyperlith said:
    2014 Toyota Sienna owner's manual. It's 800 freakin' pages. I might skip a few pages here and there. :/
    What the hell.....did you go and sprout that awful disease called children? 
    Tekk said:
    Hyperlith said:
    What the hell.....did you go and sprout that awful disease called children? 
    Incubation phase. @synbios might be able to elaborate more on the pathology here.

• The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown and Walden by Henry David Thoreau when I'm feeling surreal and have enough time to digest complex 19th century sentence structure.
    Okk tells you, "You 'woof'ed on a house channel in a conversation with the Lord Bard."

• Tossing up whether to reread I, Jedi over christmas, or try get through Book Ten in the Wheel of Time series.
  • Finally got back into that old Robert Zelazny series, the Chronicles of Amber. Finished the Corwin cycle and now hop! onto the Merlin cycle.

I just love how the Courts of Chaos remind me of Achaea's Golgotha...

• Cidusii said:
    Tossing up whether to reread I, Jedi over christmas, or try get through Book Ten in the Wheel of Time series.
    I, Jedi can never be read enough. Much like Traitor from the NJO series.
  • Jacen said:
    Cidusii said:
    Tossing up whether to reread I, Jedi over christmas, or try get through Book Ten in the Wheel of Time series.
    I've just reread all of the X-Wing series recently. I've only read the odd book from the Yuuzhan-Vong time onwards :(. I need to catch up big time!
    edited December 2013
    Jacen said:

Cidusii said:

Should I read anything before "I, Jedi?" I've only read the "Star Wars" and "Return of the Jedi" novels based on the movies. Curious about the post-ROTJ novels (and how they stack up with the canon of the movies).

• Just started the new Tamora Pierce book, Battle Magic. Been looking forward to this one, been dying to find out what happened to Briar and Rosethorn during the war.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Hyperlith said:

Jacen said:

Cidusii said:

Should I read anything before "I, Jedi?" I've only read the "Star Wars" and "Return of the Jedi" novels based on the movies. Curious about the post-ROTJ novels (and how they stack up with the canon of the movies).

Corran Horn is probably my favorite character in the extended canon, but watching Anakin (Solo)'s progression in the NJO series, along with Jacen's in LOTF, are close runner-ups.

• Hyperlith said:

Jacen said:

Cidusii said:

I'm not a huge Jedi fan, but I read a few of the Timothy Zahn books relating to Han, Leia, and Luke's stories. I enjoyed them a lot.