What are you reading?

Comments

• JozlynJozlyn out of here.
    I'm currently re-reading Margaret Atwood's books Oryx and Crake as well as The Year of the Flood because the third book comes out next month and I'm crazy excited.  My husband and I are also reading Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale together. I suggest all of them for a kind of sci-fi (although she says none are sci-fi) decline of humanity feel. 

House of Leaves is also one of my favorites!

If you've read these and you have further suggestions I would love to hear them!
     yes, sir.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    @jozlyn I read House of Leaves and utterly loved it. However, I could not make any recommendations based on it, as I have not read any other book with quite the same structure or feel as it. Do you like fantasy as well?

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I have several books sitting in a pile next to my bed.

Last of the Wilds
    Assassin's Apprentice
    Geomancer
    Way of Shadows
    Sabriel
    Science of Discworld IV

Squee.
    edited August 2013
    @Shirszae
    I read a lot, I haven't delved much into fantasy in several years. However I'm glad to take any suggestions!
     yes, sir.
  • Reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, and the complete and unabridged H.G. Wells. 
    Just a Grook, member of House Mojushai and proud citizen of Cyrene.

- 2013/09/14 10:48:03 - Yxty says, "I will think about that while i punch this sheep."
  • Eld said:
    Phraag said:
    Reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, and the complete and unabridged H.G. Wells. 
    I'm sorry.
    What? Why...

- 2013/09/14 10:48:03 - Yxty says, "I will think about that while i punch this sheep."
  • Phraag said:
    Eld said:
    Phraag said:
    I'm sorry.
    What? Why...
    The Atlas Shrugged part.
  • Eld said:
    Phraag said:
    Eld said:
    Phraag said:
    I'm sorry.
    What? Why...
    The Atlas Shrugged part.
    Oh, I love that book though.

• OceanaOceana North Sea
    French series called L'autre monde by Maxime Chattam. Just finished book 4, one more to go.
  • HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    edited August 2013
    Straight Flush, Ben Mezrich

Polished off the second and third books of the Hunger Games previously.

• Vaehl said:
    Was in the library the other day, browsing through books, and found one trilogy within the huge series of books in the Midkemia universe by Raymond E. Feist. Decided it'd be cool to read and picked them up. Currently reading the third in the trilogy, 'Wrath of a Mad God'. Decent books, but I've read better recently such as The Left Hand of God, and The Last Four Things by Paul Hoffman as well as The Warded Man and The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett.
    the painted man and desert spear are amazing books love em to bits along with the eragon series, though slightly simple the rangers apprentice, the dwarves.. the alchemist series (the nicholas flamel ones all of ramond E. fiest's books, skulduggery pleasant all of the pawn of prophecy books (the one based on belgarath's life is awesome in my opinion) seventh tower books... should i go on? i have devoured shelves of my schools library as i usually get in ATLEAST 2 hours of reading every day as i have an hour bus trip
  • oh and the black prism!
  • FitzFitz Fire and Spice
    Currently reading all the Harry Bosch detective novels, waiting for the new Gentleman Bastards t come out, as well as the next book in Sanderson's Stormlight archive. 

• I've been on a clive barker kick, read Imagica, books of blood, weaveworld, hellbound heart. omg I love him so much
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • @jozlyn Have you read Alias Grace yet?
    “There is no greater sorrow than thinking back upon a happy time in misery--”

@harmonia no I haven't, I'll have to pick it up. Thanks!
     yes, sir.
  • @jozlyn It's not Atwood's typical dystopia novel, but it's a favorite and based on a true story.
    “There is no greater sorrow than thinking back upon a happy time in misery--”

• I just finished Dan Brown's Inferno. As always, lots of twists and surprises but this time with quite a shocking end that I wasn't sure if I agreed with or not!

I'd definitely recommend it! :)
  • edited September 2013
    Chryenth said (way back in May):
    I was going to recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora, and then thought 'This is probably not suitable.' It certainly was funny. Republic of Thieves is meant to come out in October, right?

Having just started re-reading this (in preparation for Republic of Thieves, which seems like it's been coming "soon" for about a year now - but there's now an actual date (13th in the UK) listed, rather than just a season), I can confirm that it is most certainly not suitable for twelve year olds.

I'm also reading Gödel, Escher, Bach, with a couple of friends.  It's far easier that trying to get through it on my own!  In addition, I've just finished reading the Riftwar trilogy, by Feist.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I once tried getting into The Lies of Locke Lamora, and while it is by no means bad, it just did not held me. I always felt like there was something off or missing... Perhaps I should try rereading sometime.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I'm reading Dean Koontz's 77 Shadow Street right now. Though usually anything in the horror genre catches and holds my interest. This one, however, is struggling to captivate me so far. 

• Wynedere said:
    I'm reading Dean Koontz's 77 Shadow Street right now. Though usually anything in the horror genre catches and holds my interest. This one, however, is struggling to captivate me so far. 

Honestly I've never cared for Dean Koontz, but that's just me. Got any good horror for me? I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • FitzFitz Fire and Spice
    Taking a break from the Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly. Rereading Robin Hobb's books. (except the Soldier Son novels, I didn't really like those when they came out.)) Need a high fantasy fix.

• Laila said:
    I just finished Dan Brown's Inferno. As always, lots of twists and surprises but this time with quite a shocking end that I wasn't sure if I agreed with or not! I'd definitely recommend it! :)
    @Laila This is on my wishlist. As soon as I find a hardcopy in English.
  • Had a chance to go through early Bosch (Concrete Blonde and earlier), over the last year or so, and I liked how Michael Connelly got the procedural stuff down convincingly.

As for what is in my pack now, I have a two books in there now, one The Botticelli Secret by Marina Fiorato which is equal parts mystery and historical piece. the other is an omnibus of Marjorie Kellogg's Dragon Quartet. straight fantasy.

The most recent thing to go on the bookshelf for me is David Ewalt's Of Dice and Men. Nonfiction.

The premise is simple enough a history of what some of us came from long before we found this place, Dungeons & Dragons as seen both thorugh its history and through the POV of an active campaign. Maybe not required reading but definitely something it would not surprise me that crosses the desk of some of you before too long.

• Been hooked on the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher as of late. On White Night right now and sadly I think there's only four more left :(

• Sarapis said:

In happier news, the Malazan books are just... staggeringly good.

Aren't they just? It took me two years to slog my way through that series though, reading many other books in between. In the middle of basically every (extremely long) book from 4-9 I was like, "Is it worth it? Do I have better things to be reading?"

And then, at the end of each book from 4-9, while I cleaned up the puddle I had made on the floor, I realized it was totally worth it. And then book 10. Holy mother [of] Logos. Just wait.

Sorry to quote so late, but I was inactive for 8 months and just this. Yes, yes, yes, yes.

I picked up Malazan right around 2006 or so, and read it voraciously. One of my all time fantasy series, and I even liked it in the parts that others had trouble with. It actually inspired me to write, and because of it I am working on my own novel and world building, not just as an idle thing, but a serious goal.

I have not found a good fantasy series close to it yet, so I've been quite dry in terms of finding good new fantasy books to read, my friends suggesting I should read something other then fantasy to broaden my horizons, but I find it difficult to do so. I may dig through this topic and find some things. ^^
  • Revas said:
    Been hooked on the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher as of late. On White Night right now and sadly I think there's only four more left :(

...so far. There's more to come. His story is far from over, IMHO.