What are you reading?

Comments

• Ranma 1/2 fanfics. It's the best I can do.
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    Averi said:
    Since this is a forum post about books and all, I was wondering, do you guys have any suggestions on what I can read to a 12 year old kid who likes action + comedy?  I read him The Princess Bride and he loved it.  I tried to follow it with Good Omens but he was lost after the first 2 chapters.  He wasn't a fan of the 1st of the circle of magic books either. the first chapter was interesting and exciting but then it just became too un-actiony. XD  

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am wracking my brain trying to think of something. TT_TT
    Um...at risk of being insensitive if he's visually impaired...why isn't the twelve-year-old reading to himself? 

And who didn't like Good Omens

I question this kid's taste. 
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • @Amunet

I think it was too british for him. And no he's not visually impaired.... he just hates reading. XD  I am trying to indoctrinate him with books!!!! He's a decent reader by himself but he gets bored like after 3 pages so I'm trying to make it a group activity.  

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I will check them out! :)  

Because of his negative reaction to Good Omens, I haven't introduced him to Discworld and such... He also didn't like Coraline, which was like my favourite Neil Gaiman book. I considered trying a Douglas Adams but that also didn't bode well past the first paragraph or so....

And I totally forgot about animorphs. I don't know if it would be too easy for him but it's worth a try?  
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • Get him some Matthew Reilly books. They are pure gratuitous action and violence - in book form.
  • Yue said:
    Blujixapug said:
    I recently finished The Dark Tower by Stephen King, and consequently am never looking at another Stephen King book again.
    Why? I am really quite terrible with titles and remembering which book they correspond to, but I think I can remember liking that one. Is that the one with the two realities that some people can jump back and forth between?
    The Dark Tower is the 7-book one with the gunslinger, Roland. He's trying to reach The Dark Tower. It's kind of a weird western, but not heavily so. King apparently considers it his opus, and wrote the books over about 30 years. I read them on and off over 5. It's hard to talk about it or why I didn't like it without giving any spoilers, but I felt it really started to drag after the first book or two with the pace not picking up again until the last one, and I did not like the ending, which was particularly disappointing after seven books over many years.

I am still.  So.  F.cking. Furious about the end of the Dark Tower books.  I loved those books, LOVED THEM.  Read a whole extra bunch of Stephen King books just to catch the slightest tie-in to the series.  Loved book 5 SO MUCH.  I wanted to sleep with it under my pillow, and the quality dropped off a bit in 6 and 7, but in general they were still pretty damn awesome.  And then the end.  AARGH, THE END.  I swear by all that his holy, I am going to find him, and RUN HIM OVER AGAIN.

In happier news, the Malazan books are just... staggeringly good.
    The Lies of Llocke Lamora - also fab.
    And eee, the Fractal Prince and the Quantum Thief, also so good - although seriously confusing.

No love for The Name of the Wind/The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss?  Probably the best straight fantasy I've read in a loooong time.

• I've been marathoning Chuck Palahniuk books lately - just finished Fight Club and highly recommend it. It's a surprisingly quick read, and I found it 10x better than the movie (which I also liked a lot). 
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
    way more interesting than the inside of anyone's vagina.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited June 2013
    I'm currently reading Empire in Black and Gold, by Adrian Tchaikovsky of the Shadow of the Art series. It's a pretty compelling story, I like it.

I bought The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss on Book Depository. I need to find where I misplaced it but I'll give it a read after my current book.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Echoing whoever pimped Brent Weeks earlier in the thread. His writing style is fun as hell, if not necessarily refined. The Night Angel trilogy is worth a read, and it goes quick, and I've enjoyed the first two books in the Lightbringer series so far.

Otherwise, I've never picked up a book by Neil Gaiman I haven't loved.

• edited June 2013
    Zael said:
    Reading World War Z at the moment.

How is that by the way? I dig the e-book thing, so I might get a sample later.

I'm currently reading a biography on Vyacheslav Molotov, Stalin's Foreign Affairs minister. Yes, he's the one Molotov Cocktail was coined after. For those that haven't heard the origin of the term, it was in response to the Winter War of 39-40. When the foreign press asked Molotov's office what is up with all the air traffic over Finland, and if they were bombing, Molotov's office is like, "Oh, no no, not bombs we are just airdropping food for them."

The Finns, perfectly well fed, were up against a sizeable force much larger than their own and had to fight tooth and nail. They thought since Molotov was so kind as to offer them food, they'd give him "a drink to go with the dinner", and people started launching those things at the advancing Soviet tanks. The war lasted only Nov-Mar, but the meat grinder effect as the Reds rushed in created one of the most lopsided kill ratio's in combat history, if not the top.

I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Ruth said:
    I'm currently reading Empire in Black and Gold, by Adrian Tchaikovsky of the Shadow of the Art series. 
    !!!!! I just finished Book 6 :D I haven't had time to move onto Book 7, but I like the story so far, it's an interesting take on fantasy and bugs and people who have the qualities of said bugs.

It's been ages since I read Name of the Wind, but I recall liking it. I have to go find the other books now.

Also waiting to read Dan Brown's new book Inferno. Hoping against hope it's good, The Lost Symbol didn't resonate with me so much.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    @Xenomorph read "Tactics of Mistake" by Gordon R Dickson, and then maybe "Dorsai" and "Soldier, Ask Not." I guarantee you will enjoy the first two at least. "Soldier, Ask Not." was quite inspirational to me.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    Soldier Ask Not is one of my favorite books of all time. I teared up.
    Dorsai is one of my second-favorite books of all time.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I teared up too :( especially the two points in the middle that I am sure you are familiar with. The ending was sad too :(

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I haven't shed a tear since the Sheriff took Rambo to jail. I'll def add this to my collection, much obliged.
    I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    Fiiiiiiiiinally got to finish Gates of Fire, now that finals are slowing down. Wonderful book. 
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • edited June 2013
    I am reading .. Fifty Shades of Grey. Lolno, just kidding. I'm not reading it now, that is. I have read the Beauty trilogy, though. And liked it. Right now I'm enjoying the works of Jack London, Karen Miller, Sarah Monette, and a few authors of some homosexual erotica whose names I can't remember. Their writing, though, is yummy <3;
    (XXXX): Peak says, "You worry me."
  • edited June 2013

In happier news, the Malazan books are just... staggeringly good.

Aren't they just? It took me two years to slog my way through that series though, reading many other books in between. In the middle of basically every (extremely long) book from 4-9 I was like, "Is it worth it? Do I have better things to be reading?"

And then, at the end of each book from 4-9, while I cleaned up the puddle I had made on the floor, I realized it was totally worth it. And then book 10. Holy mother [of] Logos. Just wait.

• Xenomorph said:
    I haven't shed a tear since the Sheriff took Rambo to jail. I'll def add this to my collection, much obliged.
    Right up there with crying when Charlie Sheen dies in Red Dawn.

• @Averi Books for 12 year olds.. Hmm well, some may not be as fantasy, not sure what he likes but..
    A series of unfortunate events
    Harry potter
    Hunger games? A tad violent though. 
    Lionboy
    Lord of the Rings
    The Golden Compass (Everyone recommends this to me, not sure how advanced it is, but I'm going to start it soon I'll let you know)
  • Started The Dresden Files! @Nemutaur Amazing recommendation, thanks a lot! Having a blast so far, only 60 pages in too its probably barely heated up yet. 
  • edited June 2013
    Roger Zelazny's "Amber" books.
    Christopher Stasheff's "Warlock" books.
    Almost anything by Heinlein.

(Well, I read them at 12! :( May not be normal 12 year old material?)
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • The Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. book 5 comes out next spring/summer and I can't wait. 

Seconding Dresden Files

anything by Jim Hines (Jig the Goblin, the Princess books (which re actually really dark), and Libriomancer)

HP, LotR, etc. 

• John Dies at the End.

I can even begin to tell you what that book is about, but it is fantastic.
  • Chryenth said:
    John Dies at the End.

David Wong is transcendent hilarious wordplay. That book is gold.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited June 2013
    Finishing book three of the Outlander series.

I've read historical/period romance books before, and while most were fairly good, I have to say these trump them by miles. The actual driving story behind everything is fantastic, and if you have even the smallest interest in Scottish history mixed with a bit of fantasy, and don't mind language and not-overly-detailed sex scenes, I would utterly recommend these books. Every time you think things should finally settle down, some madness pops up - it's quite entertaining. :)
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited June 2013
    Jonners said:
    Averi said:
    Since this is a forum post about books and all, I was wondering, do you guys have any suggestions on what I can read to a 12 year old kid who likes action + comedy?  I read him The Princess Bride and he loved it.  I tried to follow it with Good Omens but he was lost after the first 2 chapters.  He wasn't a fan of the 1st of the circle of magic books either. the first chapter was interesting and exciting but then it just became too un-actiony. XD  

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am wracking my brain trying to think of something. TT_TT

I would recommendEnder's Game  by Orson Scott Card. I read it to my brother and sister, ages 11 and 12 at the time and they absolutely loved it. My sister did a book report on it. Was one of my favourite sci-fi books when I was that age.

I'm currently readingRoots by Alex Haley (yes the book the movie was based on). I'm still on the first chapter but it is engrossing thus far.

My favourite series is the first half of the Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton, namely Pandora's Starand Judas Unchained.A sweeping space opera with a truly thought-provoking setting and plot. I very highly recommend them.

I would recommend Ender's Game  by Orson Scott Card. I read it to my brother and sister, ages 11 and 12 at the time and they absolutely loved it. My sister did a book report on it. Was one of my favourite sci-fi books when I was that age.

I'm currently reading Roots by Alex Haley (yes the book the movie was based on). I'm still on the first chapter but it is engrossing thus far.

My favourite series is the first half of the Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton, namely Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. A sweeping space opera with a truly thought-provoking setting and plot. I very highly recommend them.
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    If anyone likes space opera books, I recommend Alastair Reynolds. I wasn't a fan of these kind of space opera/odyssey genre, but I definitely got sucked into the House of Suns book he wrote.

On that note, currently reading Jodi Picoult's Picture Perfect book! Pretty drawn into it at the moment.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Berenene said:
    Chryenth said:
    John Dies at the End.

I started reading this, when it was free from the website, not sure if it still is. But I never got around to finishing it.

Also, has anyone read the House of Leaves? I've read about it and it sounds both interesting and a veritable mind screw.
    House of Leaves is one of my very favorite books. It is fascinating, and yes, an absolute mind screw. Can't recommend it highly enough, but also make no promises that you'll like it-- it's WEIRD.