Quick Combat Questions

Comments

• I think now would be a good time to explain to the audience the difference between killing and orbing.
  • Vadimuses said:
    I think now would be a good time to explain to the audience the difference between killing and orbing.
    I would like that very much
  • Cooper said:
    Mizik said:
    Iphis said:
    Am I the only one that thinks it is really pointless to attempt to kill occie ents? Orbing/attacking them just means insta resummon anyway
    Yes.

I insta rekill. It's sweet, and a losing battle for the Occie.
    Assuming you're willing to spend 5k+ gold in sigils, and that the Occultist doesn't just go re-pact when their pact runs out.
    Made that part a little bigger for @Huyen
  • Appreciate it, but I wasn't talking about you.
  • Vadimuses said:
    I think now would be a good time to explain to the audience the difference between killing and orbing.

Kill = bashing attack. Orb = orb. Same function, one takes longer but costs you 0 gold in sigils.
  • And one allows the Occultist to do whatever they want to you un-hindered, which is a win for the Occultist.

• Are most ents killable in one hit?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • edited February 2013
    @Xith no, takes a few hits. @Cooper so does orbing, they just get more time to do it. If you can escape out (I believe the conversation was about a BM, so yes), run away, get ready, go back and kill the next one. Yes it takes a lot longer, but that is the price you pay for not spending 5k on orbs like you complained about. Or you can just walk around with a group of 186 orbs like Te$ha and dgaf about occultist tears.
  • Hi guys, I'm back. :)

The way you go about it kind of depends on what class you are. In the case of a blademaster, their bashing attack is superior in terms of practicality than using an orb sigil. Monks can combine it with combo's for the best effect, so it's a bit of a mix and match situation in that regard. If you really want to conserve your orbs, you can always throw a few to get the occie a little bit behind, and then <kill> (but not kill) some of the slightly less important but similarly frustrating lesser ents so you can eventually synchronise a shit load of occie clearing at once.

In most scenarios, orb > kill. Mizik's a BM, Cooper's a Monk. Their opinion is gonna differ. Do what's best for you.

• My records show that orb sigils cost 1 dust? And since you can buy or gather dust for 30 gold or less, and most enchanters don't charge much, 50 orb sigils would be like 1500.
    Compare with the number of dust bombs you use in a fight. Or number of cards an occultist flings.

Also, just pick the most irritating entities to you, doppie, gremlin, etc.
  • Cooper said:
    And one allows the Occultist to do whatever they want to you un-hindered, which is a win for the Occultist.
    Perhaps, but for several classes a single bashing attack going to be faster than an orb sigil. Throwing an orb takes me (nimble, but no knife thrower) about 2.6 seconds. So it will still take you longer to kill the ent with your bashing attacks, but you won't be hindered as long for each separate attack, allowing yourself to react faster to whatever the occultist might be doing, which tends to be a rather important thing against occultists.

Of course, for everyone with a bashing attack longer than it takes to throw an orb, orb is undoubtedly the superior choice, if you can afford it.
  • No idea what they are made from, but they were always ~250-300g per in Shallam.

• edited February 2013
    Orb sigils often tend to be really overpriced. Same with meteor arrows, really.

Their prices are probably still a remnant from the times when you could only buy diamond dust from Rurin, making it very expensive. But now diamond dust is ridiculously easy to get.
  • This opens up an opportunity for some enterprising Magi to undercut all others for the benefit of the customer! *wink wink nudge nudge*
  • I wouldn't learn to depend on such a broken crutch mechanic like orb sigils.
  • A tentacle from Sohl's body lashes out at you, wrapping around your body and holding you firm.
     ----------------------------------------------------- 
    |     TENTACLES FROM SOHL! | TENTACLES FROM SOHL!     |
     ----------------------------------------------------- 
    4508h|92%, 2786m|75%, 100%e, 14%w 84.3% (4:8) cekd- 
    The crone withers Garis's left leg into uselessness.
    Sohl stands up and stretches his arms out wide.
    Darroth crushes Lianca between his massive jaws, jerking her back and forth like a rag doll.
    Sohl easily vaults onto the back of an ebony pegasus.
    You take a drink from a snow blossom vial.
    Your mind feels stronger and more alert.
    4508h|92%, 3436m|92%(+650), 100%e, 14%w 84.3% (4:8) cekd- 
    A tentacle from Grandue's body lashes out at Kard, wrapping around his body and holding him firm.
    4508h|92%, 3436m|92%, 100%e, 14%w 84.3% (4:8) cekd- 
    Grandue tosses a tarot card at Garis and as it reaches him, a huge mass of rope bursts out of it, 
    entrapping and hindering him.
    Colivar shuffles some cards with the image of the Aeon out of his deck.
    Colivar stands an Aeon tarot on his palm and blows it at Garis.
    You have recovered balance on all limbs. (1.697s)
    4508h|92%, 3436m|92%, 100%e, 14%w 84.3% (4:8) cexkd- 
    Nemutaur begins to wield a Shield of Absorption bearing the House arms of the Ashura in his right 
    hand.
    You see a wave of energy shoot out from Nemutaur and slam into Garis.
    A tentacle from Grandue's body lashes out at you, wrapping around your body and holding you firm.
     ----------------------------------------------------------- 
    |     TENTACLES FROM GRANDUE! | TENTACLES FROM GRANDUE!     |
     ----------------------------------------------------------- 

Do tentacles "stack"? If you get through the % to get past one set of them, do you get checked against anybody elses in the room as well?
  • Wildgrowth does the same thing.

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited February 2013
    Xith said:
    My records show that orb sigils cost 1 dust? And since you can buy or gather dust for 30 gold or less, and most enchanters don't charge much, 50 orb sigils would be like 1500.
    Compare with the number of dust bombs you use in a fight. Or number of cards an occultist flings.

Also, just pick the most irritating entities to you, doppie, gremlin, etc.
    I got 500 for 40k which was a huge discount.

Is Purity/Taint based off from int?

• Yes, also collar affects it.
  • Dunn said:
    Wildgrowth does the same thing.
    OK, thanks for confirming
  • Niks said:

Do tentacles "stack"? If you get through the % to get past one set of them, do you get checked against anybody elses in the room as well?
    They don't stack. Neither does wildgrowth. The name of the person whose tentacles you hit is random, though.
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • If there is a totem planted in a room and you sketch two runes on the ground, assuming the totem and runes can both hit the same target, in which order do the runes activate?
  • edited February 2013
    If I remember correctly:
    Only ground runes OR runes from a single totem can affect a target.
    If there is a totem implanted or propped, ground runes will not hit.
    If there is a propped totem, an implanted totem in the same room won't hit.
    So: propped totem supersedes implanted totem supersedes ground runes.
  • ^ slight correction on this:

When you have a propped totem and an implanted totem in the room, the totem with the lower ID number will hit.

• ^ that is true. The code is pretty lazy here and that times is problematic.
  • So generally speaking, oldest hits first. It's not often that you have a totem on hand that is older than an implanted totem.. Not at my age anyway.
  • ^ also incorrect

From what I've seen, item numbers are generated in order. Decayed items create an open spot for new items. So while an 'old' item will sometimes be a lower item number, new items have a pretty good chance of spawning a low item number too (I have vials that I bought roughly during the same time. Some are 174xxx, some are 348xxx. The recent weapon I thought is 45xxx.)

• Vadimuses said:
    ^ that is true. The code is pretty lazy here and that times is problematic.
    Forum needs a 'le gasp' button.
  • Pretty common forum question, but that's what they get for not having a help file anywhere:

Need a refresh on all breathweapon effects for dragons.
    Pros/Cons, does blue breath do 1 level of freeze or 2, how often they proc (*flutter @Sena*), whether anything reduces psychic damage besides Philosophy, etc.
  • Black=Acid: Acid breath. Unblockable damage.
    Blue=Ice: Cold damage. Chance of becoming frozen.
    Gold=Psi: Psychic damage instead of breath weapon. Chance of eq loss.
    Green=Venom: Poison damage. Chance of a random venom affliction.
    Red=Dragonfire: Fire damage. Sets the target on fire also.
    Silver=Lightning: Electric damage. High chance of epilepsy.

Don't know any other details about the effects.

Psychic damage can be resisted by a certain transmogrification, alchemist robes, things that reduce all damage types (like algiz, scales, tune), philosophy, and dragon resistances. I can't think of anything else. It's probably the hardest reducible damage type to reduce.