wat is a Hashan?

I've been playing for a couple of days now, and between taking bashing breaks (mashing the Curse Bleed alias can be a pain on the wrist), I've been reading a lot about Hashan. I'm aware that it's not exactly the best place to be right now, but I just can't stop loving the place for some unusual reason. The history is rich, from the foundation and Elentari's laws to the Triad of the Night and the Houses, and there's such great potential for Hashan. Right now, though, Hashan seems to be fumbling around.

My character's been talking to a few Hashan characters, getting a feel of the place and what the people think, and generally I think the reason why Hashan is fumbling is because there are too many people who are going on too many different ways and as such Hashan is left in a quagmire. This thread, then, is where I'd like to know more about what players think Hashan should be, and how to be that. Overall, hopefully it'll help Hashan be a more stable city.

Comments

• Aepas said:
    ... "Decan"

... though it's got a decan in it. ...
    I must admit, I did laugh at that, @Aepas.

Hashan's always been going in ups and downs, and currently I have no idea if it's going up or down. I'd say (very) slowly going up at the moment with a few things that have been happening. With regards on how to fix things? That is a very hard question to answer, and I'd rather not talk about it outside of the game as it can detract from things in-game. There is a lot of background stuff happening a lot of people don't see (myself included).

What I have to say is if you want Hashan to succeed and grow stronger, do what is best for Hashan. The City. Don't do stuff to make yourself better in the city, do stuff to make the City better. Not being recognised for your efforts? Don't worry about it. Hashan has a reputation of terribly handed out cityfavours (in my opinion) along with other issues. If you put enough genuine effort into the city you'll get recognised eventually.

I've stuck with Hashan for over 200 years IG. I could've quit many many times when people were dumb or have pulled the city down, but I've always opted to stay in the city and do what I can when I can to help improve the situation. Be a genuine and good contribution to the city.

For you right now, I would recommend you focus on advancing further in your House and making yourself stronger, while also trying to help with Hashan when you can. I'd say the Spirit Walkers need it. Keep it up!
  • Hashan is a great city. If we would only stop arguing and realize that we are all different and what the city was founded upon and its laws make it so hashani can be free thinking. But people want to get up in arms and fight. And suddenly you are their enemy just because you side with someone that has a different opinion.Hashan's people are diverse. Can almost do anything you want as a citizen there within reason. Politics get played on a LOT. Hashan is actually calming down and starting to recover from the political battle field and mud slinging. I agree with @seldin. We are coming up slowly. Hashan really is a great city. Houses included in it. Yes. Spirit Walkers are fun even when you aren't in their house. Hashani I think just need to realize why they fight for their city when they fight. I do find it odd that being able to have your own beliefs isn't a good enough reason to defend. Many Hashani are paranoid but perhaps that's the nature of people. Anyway...all in all..its a good city. If as many people did something as they complained, maybe we might get some where. Hashan is by no means a bad city. And it is my home. The people there are pretty awesome. And the diversity too.

• I'm going with Aepas on this, when I joined Hashan out of the Trial of Rebirth it was neutral and was doing just fine. I mean sure Poergh took over parts of the city and killed people with her little group but that was fun! Hashan has always had brutal politics that also made it fun as well. I kind of see where Hashan was going with the whole 'Night' thing but it's so vague that, to me, it seems like anyone can say anything about what Night is and no one knows enough to debate it or correct them. They keep turning away from neutral like they have a side but when you look at it, Night seems to be neutral parading around as evil and all the good combatants are probably gone because of that or maybe they want to fight in the city and take care of rivals the old fashioned Hashani way :P
  • I love Hashan but a few things irk me, like the constant questioning of what The Night is and then when there is an answer in the form of a lecture, a re-wording of the question, and then when there is an answer to that, a referendum on what the question should be worded as to ask what the Night is (seriously), and then when the question is answered feed it to a humgii and so on.

Guys, the Night is The Triad of Twilight, Ourania and Valnurana and the three realms they encompass of Darkness, The Moon, and Sleep and Dreams, which represent Knowledge, Understanding and Possibilities. Period!!!1!!!11eleven!

I think part of the problem Hashan faces is that we are constantly seeking to be something else. Why can we not be happy with a simple ethos of Knowledge, Understanding that knowledge, and being unfettered in the Possibilities this brings about? I like it as a nice simple ethos of The Night and something I feel connected to, but the referendums and yadayada to try and be something more than this, it's like why do we need more? There is plenty to read on the three god/ess's realms if people really wanna understand this stuff more, or you can join one of their orders.

Anyway I'm rambling a bit but this questioning of our heritage is I think the core of Hashan's problem. That aside, I have a lot of fun in it and have made some good friends within the walls. We suck combat-wise, but I don't think that's all that matters. We have great little events and stuff though, and the houses are awesome, especially Spiritwalkers. I would like to see the arts embraced a bit more. Cyrene I think has snapped up all the good artsy types.

Politics. Well, they're whack enough irl why wouldn't they be whack in a game. I just roll my eyes and skip a lot of posts cos TL;DR most of the time.

But yeah. Rock on Night!
    "To thine own self be true."
  • @keneanung I believe people have said it. People just don't clean the crud out of their ears and LISTEN.

• Well I believe I listened and read every post but I didn't see it. Maybe I am not around at the right times though.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Bureaucratic stuff never works - look at the US government. Once those in power in Hashan start taking heads and delegating a clear and precise vision for all else to follow, Hashan will be awesome.
    I'm not saying it needs to be like Mhaldor. The people in Hashan need to exemplify/demonstrate "city over self" instead of just bickering amongst each other about it and backstabbing each other.
    There needs to be an enforced ultimatum where if you refuse to fight for the freedoms you are automatically given by citizenship in Hashan, but instead hide when times are tough and then try to smooth-talk your way out of responsibility later, you are enemied and killed, no questions, no debates, no bullshit, (i am the prince of run-on).
    We all know this is likely never to happen, and I don't wish to sound utterly negative - but even 10+ years ago on my old character (an Ashtani), Hashan was the same way... Filling rows and rows if book shelves with senseless writings by smooth talking "achaean bureaucrats" who want nothing else but to serve themselves under the guise of doing great things for a city that COULD be great if people would just kill them.

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Personally, I don't think the concept of "Night/Darkness" is terribly hard to grasp in general terms, Hashan exists to collect, preserve, and apply knowledge in all forms to enlighten the world(aka the Great Work) and opposes those factions they see as close-minded and inhibiting of that end. On top of that, I have to completely agree and believe that there are some highly subversive elements in the city that for whatever reason are driven by personal grudges or what seems to be sheer enjoyment of watching things burn which are the reason the city's growth has been mortified. I held down the fort as long as I could, and I think the resulting political changes are actually really beneficial since I had become such a polarizing leader. However, I fear Xadzia might polarize things to the other end.

Hashan is an interesting city, with interesting houses to play, awesome history, coolest Gods, and probably most intense political scene. Right now there is a very complex balance of power being wrought in the city between several distinct(or perhaps not so distinct) factions that will either make or break the city going forward, but like was said, Hashan crests and falls. Nonetheless, I think things are on the up right now however tenuously, the city is vocalizing much more and debate is plentiful, if not robust...and the Regency, for now, is the most balanced I have ever seen.

What's really missing I think are ministers who really translate the direction the leaders want into something the citizens in general can grasp on to, and to create a culture where people with skills are valued rather than marginalized as they so often are in Hashan, unfortunately. Again, I think current trends are leaning back into marginalizing the bad apples rather than the good.

Ourania and her order are and have been great for the city, even her alliance with Babel though my character does not like it either. Without her, the city would invariably be a hundred times worse than it currently is. On the other hand, Twilight's absence and the godawful breakdown of his order has severly hurt the city.

Hashan is a fun city to play. Its culture and subcultures make for some very interesting, at least to me, politics, and it's history and Gods are pretty fascinating and challenging as well. The Houses also have a lot of depth to them, though some currently tap into them more than others. I wish more people would give Hashan a chance, but I understand why many do not want to stick by it, it can be downright vicious to its own, but for those who stick by and can play the long game, it is one of the most challenging places to play.
  • AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited October 2013
    Guys, the Night is The Triad of Twilight, Ourania and Valnurana and the three realms they encompass of Darkness, The Moon, and Sleep and Dreams, which represent Knowledge, Understanding and Possibilities. Period!!!1!!!11eleven!

My problem isn't really this part of what night is, I understood that well even when I was Hashani. The problem I always had was how people tried to use Night as an alignment. I mean if night is an alignment than what is Hashan? Evil? darkness is typically seen as evil but than Ourania is opposing Sartan and supporting Babel. Valnurana is no where to be seen in Hashan and people oppose her having anything to do with Hashan. So is Valnurana really a part of the 'Night' or not?

What I'm getting at here is Ourania seems to be the face of the Night thing, if Valnurana is a part of it I have never heard what she has to say about it and if she has I would love to know what it was, OOCly of course. Essentially I see Hashan as neutral but they are turning their back on the word neutral. Basically it's like a short man screaming "I am tall!" but everyone can see what you are no matter how much you try to hide behind a word.

(╯° _°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Come out of the closet Hashan! You can be neutral it's not a bad thing!

• @Vayne Are you just disagreeing about Hashan being neutral? I agree with most of what you said although I don't know what Xadzia is doing in Hashan now.
  • "Knowledge" is a not-so-interesting ideal, because almost nobody would be opposed to it. Most individuals and organisations strive for knowledge in some form or another, so it isn't striking enough to grant a unique identity.
  • @iocun knowledge is power as they say. And plus, why is it so bad to stand for knowledge and being able to choose how you believe and such. Isn't that the point? I would think. Since Hashan is based on the Triad, what is so bad about standing for what it stands for?

• Iocun said:
    "Knowledge" is a not-so-interesting ideal, because almost nobody would be opposed to it. Most individuals and organisations strive for knowledge in some form or another, so it isn't striking enough to grant a unique identity.
    Further to that, they're not even the central repository of all knowledge, or even really any sort of respected authority on it.  That honour largely goes to the Lucretian Athenaeum in Thera.  They are the ones who actively collect knowledge.  They're the ones who have events to gather pieces of lost literature.  For example, it was that library that was central in the collection of all those lost bits of writing during the revealing of the whole new section of Meropis and the histories of the fall of Seleucar.  Hashan was completely uninvolved in that whole thing (from what I saw), as well as pretty much every other grand knowledgey event I can think of, rendering their position as the keepers of knowledge false at best. 

I think the Lucretian Athenaeum's presence really precludes Hashan taking on that role, since it's currently served by another organization that is coherent, available to all, and most importantly active in world events.  Remedying that bit somehow would probably help Hashan's position if that's what it wants to claim to be.
  • Penwize said:

Iocun said:
    "Knowledge" is a not-so-interesting ideal, because almost nobody would be opposed to it. Most individuals and organisations strive for knowledge in some form or another, so it isn't striking enough to grant a unique identity.
    Further to that, they're not even the central repository of all knowledge, or even really any sort of respected authority on it.  That honour largely goes to the Lucretian Athenaeum in Thera.  They are the ones who actively collect knowledge.  They're the ones who have events to gather pieces of lost literature.  For example, it was that library that was central in the collection of all those lost bits of writing during the revealing of the whole new section of Meropis and the histories of the fall of Seleucar.  Hashan was completely uninvolved in that whole thing (from what I saw), as well as pretty much every other grand knowledgey event I can think of, rendering their position as the keepers of knowledge false at best. 

I think the Lucretian Athenaeum's presence really precludes Hashan taking on that role, since it's currently served by another organization that is coherent, available to all, and most importantly active in world events.  Remedying that bit somehow would probably help Hashan's position if that's what it wants to claim to be.
    Just to further on this, you have never seen the Sylvan Library. It is awesome and I love it :P
  • Achimrst said:

My problem isn't really this part of what night is, I understood that well even when I was Hashani. The problem I always had was how people tried to use Night as an alignment. I mean if night is an alignment than what is Hashan? Evil? darkness is typically seen as evil but than Ourania is opposing Sartan and supporting Babel. Valnurana is no where to be seen in Hashan and people oppose her having anything to do with Hashan. So is Valnurana really a part of the 'Night' or not?

What I'm getting at here is Ourania seems to be the face of the Night thing, if Valnurana is a part of it I have never heard what she has to say about it and if she has I would love to know what it was, OOCly of course. Essentially I see Hashan as neutral but they are turning their back on the word neutral. Basically it's like a short man screaming "I am tall!" but everyone can see what you are no matter how much you try to hide behind a word.

(╯° _°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Come out of the closet Hashan! You can be neutral it's not a bad thing!

Ask Trevize in-game about the Night sometime!
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Trevize said:
    Achimrst said:

If I do you will get kicked out of Hashan :P
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Achimrst said:
    Trevize said:
    Achimrst said:

I doubt it, @Trevize isn't an impressionable youth.
  • AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited October 2013
    Vayne said:
    Achimrst said:
    Trevize said:
    Achimrst said:

I doubt it, @Trevize isn't an impressionable youth.
    Are you srsly going there with me @Vayne?
    Didn't we already do this once!
  • Hashan is an interesting place, but (as Asmodron said) it doesn't really fit in with the rest of Achaea. The 'grow as you wish' theme is nice, but it ends up dividing people instead of uniting them.

Hashan has had a few bright moments over the years when people started to pull together and get things done as a city, but it's always fallen apart again. One can only hope that the Xth time will be the charm.
  • NimNim
    edited October 2013

I dunno that much about Hashan, but even though they might be healthier in some way, all the philosophically united cities are kind of weird and inhuman in a way, so Hashan feels a little more normal in that way, from what little I know about it!

Which isn't much, since Nim is convinced it's the city of harlots, whores, and murderers. >_>

This discussion has been closed.