Letter Notification.

Sending letters is a fun form of communication in Achaea, but I've noticed a problem with them. I almost never notice when I receive a letter, or I receive one when I'm busy and I forget to look at it later. If you know a letter is coming, then this generally isn't a big deal, but whenever someone randomly sends me a letter, I might not ever see it. If I'm bashing, there's a good chance I won't notice the message, and if I'm raiding, there's a good chance I'll have forgotten by the time I'm done fighting. Sending letters for legitimate RP-correspondence is neat and should be encouraged, but it often feels like a very uncertain form of communication, especially if you're not sure the recipient will even notice they have a letter. Sometimes I have like 10 letters in my inventory which makes this increasingly infuriating since 1 odd letter won't stick out when I look over my inventory.

My proposed solution to this is to have a notification upon login if you have an untouched letter in your inventory, ie, a letter that hasn't been read/probed. This way, even if you miss a letter, the next time you login, you will be notified of it. 

Comments

• You know, I'd even go one step further, because if there's one thing I hate it's knowing I have a letter but having to root through all ten hundred of the ones in my inventory.

So how about adding 'LetterList' to the Vision:Lists ability? Could show the date you received it and whether or not it's untouched.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Santar said:
    Sending letters is a fun form of communication in Achaea, but I've noticed a problem with them. I almost never notice when I receive a letter, or I receive one when I'm busy and I forget to look at it later. If you know a letter is coming, then this generally isn't a big deal, but whenever someone randomly sends me a letter, I might not ever see it. If I'm bashing, there's a good chance I won't notice the message, and if I'm raiding, there's a good chance I'll have forgotten by the time I'm done fighting. Sending letters for legitimate RP-correspondence is neat and should be encouraged, but it often feels like a very uncertain form of communication, especially if you're not sure the recipient will even notice they have a letter. Sometimes I have like 10 letters in my inventory which makes this increasingly infuriating since 1 odd letter won't stick out when I look over my inventory.

My proposed solution to this is to have a notification upon login if you have an untouched letter in your inventory, ie, a letter that hasn't been read/probed. This way, even if you miss a letter, the next time you login, you will be notified of it. 
    Yeah, would be good. 
  • Sylvance said:
    You know, I'd even go one step further, because if there's one thing I hate it's knowing I have a letter but having to root through all ten hundred of the ones in my inventory.

So how about adding 'LetterList' to the Vision:Lists ability? Could show the date you received it and whether or not it's untouched.
    Letterlist is there already, but I don't think it shows whether it's unread.  This would be a good addition.
  • You can CONFIG COLOUR MAIL_MESSAGES in the same way you can colour other channels, to make it a little bit easier. And as Adet says, Letterlist is already included under AB VISION LISTS.

Would be nice to see unread, though how might it work if you 'handle' them? I tend to put/take out multiple letters in containers, then letterlist to see which I have. I guess it wouldn't be marked as unread if it's been moved from inventory?
  • I highlighted mail deliveries in bright pink. It's helped.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Incoming letters are red for me so I notice when they arrive but I still get distracted and forget to read them sometimes.

I usually go by the number of months on the lettet in LLIST as to whether or not I might have read it.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I like this and think it's a great idea.
    It's funny how when something is suggested years ago it's met with vitriol and bile and shut down and then when it's suggested by someone else years later it gets nods of agreement.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Berenene said:
    It's funny how when something is suggested years ago it's met with vitriol and bile and shut down and then when it's suggested by someone else years later it gets nods of agreement.
    That doesn't really apply to this suggestion, though. Last time it was suggested it was met mostly with agreement (or the alternate suggestion of the colouring option that was implemented instead), and the two posts of disagreement weren't rude at all.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I do this constantly. I approve.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Like this idea, would be worth it to me as well!
  • I'm just sad that letterlist is bugged right now. I lose letters constantly now because I can't tell when I get a new one with the bug
  • With the amount of letters I get, I've highlighted mine to be a dark blue text on white background. Burns the eyes like anything when it comes in so I know I got something. This is the same colour for when I receive messages, using the config option like Synbios mentioned.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    edited July 2013
    My personal solution is to have CONFIG COLOUR MAIL_MESSAGES set, and then to have that echoed to my chat console. I never miss them. Now, my problem is remembering to respond/act on them. Really need to write a todo list plugin ...

EDIT: To respond to the OP, though: yes. This is a good idea. Please implement.