Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Jousting

Jurixe
Jurixe Where you least expect itMember Posts: 1,748 @@ - Legendary Achaean

Disclaimer: Having little to no knowledge of coding limitations, these are purely ideas based off 'this would be nice', so suggest and modify as you will.

I've been trying to run a jousting activity, but there are a few problems:

a) People say that the non-arena jousting is almost completely random and really only dependent on mount level, so assuming you're all trans Riding (which most people who can joust are), then it only boils down to luck and your mount. It gets kind of boring if everyone is jousting with whatever the highest-levelled mount is purely to win (I have no idea what it is).

b) Out of arena jousting is a lot of fun, but currently only available in Delos. I know @Tecton said he was working on it, but I'm sure the current event must take precedence. It also doesn't really solve my other problem c):

c) In arena jousting is sort of an isolated incident - let's say I want to host a jousting tournament in my subdivision house, or somewhere in the city that makes sense. It would be great for people to be able to do other things while the main people joust - bet amongst each other, cheer for their jouster or heckle the opponent, eat/drink, so on and so forth - so to give it a very tournament-like atmosphere, instead of everyone crowding around the arena and having to arenawatch one or the other to see what is actually happening. You can't do anything while you're arenawatching, either, and the contestants can't hear you until they come out of the arena. It would be nice to be able to host tournaments outside of the arena, too.

I know that the new arena jousting takes lance stats into account, which makes for a greater variation on winning probabilities. I'm not sure how it's coded in, but if it were possible, it seems like a good compromise between the two extremes (greater RP creative freedom but uninteresting jousting vs less creativity but more interesting jousting) to have out-of-arena jousting take into account lance stats. In-arena jousting would still have the advantage in terms of pure fun (because you can spur, brace et al to influence the outcome too,  and it uses a point system that allows come from behind victories), but it would at least provide some variety for out-of-arena jousting and make it more viable as an activity.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

If you like my stories, you can find them here:
Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs


FrizticTreyDaslinKerriaJhaeliMelodieKaraiPraxidesEiredhel

Comments

  • Trey
    Trey Member Posts: 4,880 @@ - Legendary Achaean

    This. 1000x this. It'd be good to be able to stack the odds/ensure victory somehow. Honestly, would love if out-of-arena jousting mimicked in-arena entirely, but I don't know how ambitious of a project that is.

    DaslinTarkor
  • Daslin
    Daslin The place with the oxygenMember Posts: 2,492 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited June 2014

    Spur;spur;aim gg.



    on proper topic. Support, yes.

    Trey
  • Jurixe
    Jurixe Where you least expect itMember Posts: 1,748 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Trey said:

    This. 1000x this. It'd be good to be able to stack the odds/ensure victory somehow. Honestly, would love if out-of-arena jousting mimicked in-arena entirely, but I don't know how ambitious of a project that is.

    While I would love this, I suspect there is a reason they made it arena-only. It would also completely negate the necessity of purchasing the jousting upgrade for arenas, so I suspect they won't do this. I'd be happy with just the lance change, if that is even possible.

    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

    Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs


    TreyKerria
  • Trey
    Trey Member Posts: 4,880 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I like -that- too. It'd be nice to allow it outside if only for the RP value inherent in it, though. For instance, I know @Jurixe wanted to hold the joust in her private home, in the courtyard.

    SilasDaslinNim
  • Jhaeli
    Jhaeli Member Posts: 542 @ - Epic Achaean

    I really like @Silas's suggestion, as it would benefit more than just jousting tourneys.

    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

  • Melodie
    Melodie Port Saint Lucie, FloridaMember Posts: 5,169 @@ - Legendary Achaean

    Why not both!

    Definitely for making jousting much more RP involved though, the whole idea of it was making it a huge culture event (Cyrene even has a tilting yard in the city, it really does love its jousts). Both suggestions sound great (since making the in-arena stuff out-of-arena exactly is likely not in the cards).

    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
    Jhaeli
  • Jurixe
    Jurixe Where you least expect itMember Posts: 1,748 @@ - Legendary Achaean

    Reviewing the OP, b) should obviously be in-arena jousting, not out of arena, I was sleepy when I wrote that.

    I would personally prefer the modification to out-of-arena jousting, as making it all in the arena means that jousting is still limited the arena, while improving out-of-arena jousting would mean that we still have the freedom to host it anywhere that makes sense.

    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

    Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs


  • Jurixe
    Jurixe Where you least expect itMember Posts: 1,748 @@ - Legendary Achaean

    Bump! Any verdict on this, admin?

    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

    Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs


  • Daslin
    Daslin The place with the oxygenMember Posts: 2,492 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Please, sweet baby Jeebus.

  • Sarapis
    Sarapis Member, Administrator Posts: 3,409 Achaean staff

    Not on our radar at the moment.

  • Jurixe
    Jurixe Where you least expect itMember Posts: 1,748 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Oh, well, I certainly understand that other projects that have greater impact on the Achaean world (houses, events etc) must take precedence, that's fine. It was more of an idea that was hopeful of perhaps making it 'on the list' to be looked at someday - and even if it did, I figured it would probably be extremely low priority anyhow. I know we won't always get what we want, I just thought that throwing the idea out there was better than nothing!

    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

    Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs


    SarapisTharvis
  • Shirszae
    Shirszae Santo DomingoMember Posts: 3,493 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    @sarapis I disagree with responses I dislike. I am not a wholly logical person!

    And you won't understand the cause of your grief...


    ...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

    Kei
  • Sarapis
    Sarapis Member, Administrator Posts: 3,409 Achaean staff
    Jurixe said:
    Oh, well, I certainly understand that other projects that have greater impact on the Achaean world (houses, events etc) must take precedence, that's fine. It was more of an idea that was hopeful of perhaps making it 'on the list' to be looked at someday - and even if it did, I figured it would probably be extremely low priority anyhow. I know we won't always get what we want, I just thought that throwing the idea out there was better than nothing!

    The idea command is probably better for that btw. It's literally the list of player submitted ideas that we maintain.

  • Iocun
    Iocun Member Posts: 3,673 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited June 2014

    Well, as players, we can't really know what your priorities are, how hard to code certain things are, how much manpower you have available, etc., so it would be hard for us to make a decision between in-game IDEAing and the Golden Dais based on the "importance" of our idea. It's generally easier to simply state our idea here and leave it up to you guys to figure out if you consider it a valuable addition to Achaea and if so, if it deserves immediate attention or if it can remain on the bottom of the priority list for a while.

    Almost all of my ideas aren't "super important". The only truly important things are probably bugfixes anyways. I never voice an idea with the expectation of it being immediately implemented, but fully expect that it will either not be implemented, or that it will be on hold until some coder has some free time.

    What I like about the forums, compared to the IDEA command, is that the idea can be further improved by the input of other players.

    JurixeShirszaeSylvance
  • Lacertix
    Lacertix Member Posts: 37 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished

    Never tried the out of arena jousting, but in arena is fun. However, I'd prefer it not to use up a ton of lances (since you're technically inside the arena, I feel it should replace all broken things when you leave). It's not very important, but I'd feel way more encouraged to joust if I didn't have to get like 50 lances to prepare for a few rounds.

  • Valaria
    Valaria Member Posts: 400 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Sarapis said:
    Jurixe said:
    Oh, well, I certainly understand that other projects that have greater impact on the Achaean world (houses, events etc) must take precedence, that's fine. It was more of an idea that was hopeful of perhaps making it 'on the list' to be looked at someday - and even if it did, I figured it would probably be extremely low priority anyhow. I know we won't always get what we want, I just thought that throwing the idea out there was better than nothing!

    The idea command is probably better for that btw. It's literally the list of player submitted ideas that we maintain.

    and i have three that are pending.. i wonder when divine are taking a notice. hee hee. it is not like im being impatient, i understand that you all have a mountain of projects to do.


    2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Tecton
    Tecton The Garden of the GodsAdministrator Posts: 2,507 Admin
    Valaria said:
    Sarapis said:
    Jurixe said:
    Oh, well, I certainly understand that other projects that have greater impact on the Achaean world (houses, events etc) must take precedence, that's fine. It was more of an idea that was hopeful of perhaps making it 'on the list' to be looked at someday - and even if it did, I figured it would probably be extremely low priority anyhow. I know we won't always get what we want, I just thought that throwing the idea out there was better than nothing!

    The idea command is probably better for that btw. It's literally the list of player submitted ideas that we maintain.

    and i have three that are pending.. i wonder when divine are taking a notice. hee hee. it is not like im being impatient, i understand that you all have a mountain of projects to do.

    We try to look over them frequently, but the sheer volume of incoming ideas would require someone to almost be sitting there categorising (not actually implementing) them for hours every day! They never expire though, so rest assured that once they're in the system, they'll be checked out as soon as possible.

  • Tecton
    Tecton The Garden of the GodsAdministrator Posts: 2,507 Admin
    Vaetra said:

    Tecton said:

    Valaria said:
    Sarapis said:
    Jurixe said:
    Oh, well, I certainly understand that other projects that have greater impact on the Achaean world (houses, events etc) must take precedence, that's fine. It was more of an idea that was hopeful of perhaps making it 'on the list' to be looked at someday - and even if it did, I figured it would probably be extremely low priority anyhow. I know we won't always get what we want, I just thought that throwing the idea out there was better than nothing!

    The idea command is probably better for that btw. It's literally the list of player submitted ideas that we maintain.

    and i have three that are pending.. i wonder when divine are taking a notice. hee hee. it is not like im being impatient, i understand that you all have a mountain of projects to do.

    We try to look over them frequently, but the sheer volume of incoming ideas would require someone to almost be sitting there categorising (not actually implementing) them for hours every day! They never expire though, so rest assured that once they're in the system, they'll be checked out as soon as possible.

    So IDEAS are like prayers and you are Bruce Almighty? 

    An accurate analogy!

    Mannimar
  • Sylvance
    Sylvance Member Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Tecton said:
    Vaetra said:

    Tecton said:

    Valaria said:
    Sarapis said:
    Jurixe said:
    Oh, well, I certainly understand that other projects that have greater impact on the Achaean world (houses, events etc) must take precedence, that's fine. It was more of an idea that was hopeful of perhaps making it 'on the list' to be looked at someday - and even if it did, I figured it would probably be extremely low priority anyhow. I know we won't always get what we want, I just thought that throwing the idea out there was better than nothing!

    The idea command is probably better for that btw. It's literally the list of player submitted ideas that we maintain.

    and i have three that are pending.. i wonder when divine are taking a notice. hee hee. it is not like im being impatient, i understand that you all have a mountain of projects to do.

    We try to look over them frequently, but the sheer volume of incoming ideas would require someone to almost be sitting there categorising (not actually implementing) them for hours every day! They never expire though, so rest assured that once they're in the system, they'll be checked out as soon as possible.

    So IDEAS are like prayers and you are Bruce Almighty? 

    An accurate analogy!

    What's the quote-nesting record?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Greys
    Greys Member, Seafaring Liason Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean

    @Sylvance Its held by one who to even speak his name would get you permashrubbed.

    SylvanceValaria
Sign In to Comment.