Sartan, the Malevolent

Comments

• Alyssea said:
    Jonathin said:
    I do not like that comma after malice. I don't know if it's wrong, I just don't like it. It makes me pause while reading and makes the sentence read funny.

I could have been taught to read funny though.
    It's correct. "The vicious scowl that twists His mouth radiates pure malice" and "His dark eyes burn with bloodlust" are two independent clauses, and thus when combined into one sentence with a conjunction, need a comma.
    Not incorrect, but not necessary, I'm pretty sure. Though if it turns out that I'm unequivocably wrong, I will concede that I fought the law and the law won.
  • Doesn't look... immortal enough. It's a decent enough picture, but very underwhelming when compared to say Babel's.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Eld said:
    Alyssea said:
    Jonathin said:
    I do not like that comma after malice. I don't know if it's wrong, I just don't like it. It makes me pause while reading and makes the sentence read funny.

I could have been taught to read funny though.
    It's correct. "The vicious scowl that twists His mouth radiates pure malice" and "His dark eyes burn with bloodlust" are two independent clauses, and thus when combined into one sentence with a conjunction, need a comma.
    Not incorrect, but not necessary, I'm pretty sure. Though if it turns out that I'm unequivocably wrong, I will concede that I fought the law and the law won.
    It's not necessary in short sentences, such as "The boss shouted so the workers stopped," but the above one is reasonably lengthy.
  • @Eld, @Alyssea, @Jonathin - it is not required. A comma like that can be dropped to improve readability without rendering the statement grammatically incorrect. I'm with Jonathin here, it looks out of place.
  • For some reason, this is how I've always pictured Xenomorph, only with armor and a little more trollish. Xenomorph is Sartan? I see a connection here.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Rheve said:

For some reason, this is how I've always pictured Xenomorph, only with armor and a little more trollish. Xenomorph is Sartan? I see a connection here.

Xenomorph has godly abs?!
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Xenomorph is great, but jeez, he's like the Marsha Brady of the forums these days :P
  • edited February 2013

You can always start a poll to get me gone. Gather a hundred two signatures, and I'll honor it. Newton, Einstein, XM, Tesla, Marx, Rosenberg. Elite wise men.  The average audience cannot understand Their genius contribution to a society comprised of the chromosome #23 defective lesser men. Had they received symbols written in half broken pink crayon on construction paper, the wails and combined bump of wheelchairs would halt, leaving only the sound of a thousand mouths, breathing in and out in hypnotised unison.

Also, Lord Sartan, God of Evil   -was a burned man.

It was His "mortal avatar" He used when on foot to hang with the filth on the ground.

Speaking of avatars, each god back in the 280's had a mortal droid, so to speak, which the divine would use to fight mortals in the arena, or sometimes duels. The original God of Evil utilized Rakshasa, Knight of Iniquity. Honours him. He decimated anyone in the Infernals (or otherwise) that tried, but was himself a member. Never spoke a word.

Edit: Regarding the OP-     7/10      -elbows too pointy

I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.
  • Sorry, joining the 'do not like' camp, but when I saw the post in games I was really expecting a grotesquely disfigured gold compared to the all the beautiful gods we've had so far. I'm a little sad that Sartan got prettified.

Technically the painting is awesome but ... 
     Liquid fire burns through His veins, just beneath the surface of His ashen skin, raised like blazing scars over the powerful muscles of His bare arms and torso. Only one of the textually raised veins has a glimmer of fire beneath the skin. These raised ones should be the more obviously firelighted ones being directly under the skin. The firelighted veins just look flat and like and afterthought.

The vicious scowl that twists His mouth radiates pure malice, and His dark eyes burn with bloodlust. His eyes get lost in his skin. I didn't even realise he had eyes until I read the description and looked back at it but now I see the glimmers are not spots of dust on my moniter. Bared teeth also looks like he's straining far to much.

Posewise, I can't shake the feeling he's about to squat down and try to take a giant dump, but won't be able to because he's constipated. Overall I get a lot of Shaitan from the picture but none of the crafty, devious intelligence of Apollyon. If it were to be done again, I would suggest implying that via surroundings. Have him standing in the middle of worshippers, Have him picked one up, dangling them by a tight grip around their throat or have him lounging on the throne of skulls in the inferno.

• edited February 2013
    This is apparently the one out of all of the new art that I don't particularly care for. It's gorgeous, but the symmetrical position (I feel like it's oddly between a standing-still pose and a menacing lean-forward-and-flex pose) is a little weird and I've always prefered a more firmly Satanic Sartan - blood soaked, maybe some horns and cloven feet (edit: I KNOW SARTAN NEVER HAD HORNS GO AWAY). Or, alternatively/additionally, a more bloody, evil version of the Hero's Shade from Twilight Princess.

This whole thing with Sartan mostly just being some really angry dude doesn't sit well with me either. It speaks to the idea of Evil being a sort of hasty, seething rage rather than a brutal, hierarchical militarism of darwinian rationality. It seems to lean more toward insane serial killer and less toward ruthless conqueror, which goes against everything that Mhaldorian players have been trying to build for as long as I can remember.

The Spires, on the other hand, I am so on board with. This is my favourite kind of Evil, totally in line with the other art we've gotten recently - big wicked monolithic architecture that just screams ancient, primal evil.
  • Kyrra said:
    Don't be fooled. Those abs are painted on!
    ;))

• Wait, is that rain in the background?
  • edited February 2013
    No. It's deadly, deadly, acid.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • I actually think the portrait is pretty good, and the only part I find bizarre is Sartan's shirtless-ness. He's furious, clearly malicious, clearly an imposing, rash, angry God. He's not really the quiet contemplative type, he's figured out what his ideology is and reacts almost instinctively to suppress that which he considers weak. Totally dig this, all in all, but maybe the pose is weird.
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    edited February 2013
    Love everything about the image, and this may be beating a dead horse a little, but ... The pose makes him look like a Ken doll. Other than that, detail on figure and background are great!
  • Muuuch better now that his face isn't a detailess smudge.
  • Yeah, without the stance :P

• Muuuch better now that his face isn't a detailess smudge.
    Same pic, just zoomed in.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Sarapis said:
    Muuuch better now that his face isn't a detailess smudge.
    Same pic, just zoomed in.
    Thats the point. Without zooming, it looks like a smudge

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Sarapis said:
    Sartan up close, btw.

I am tired of this mothaf**** FOG on this mothaf**** ISLAND!!!
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    Those veins were the first thing I noticed. Are those vampire teeth?
  • I always pictured him with a crown or some other shiny headgear for some reason. He looks more like a thug than a god
    :)
  • edited February 2013
    Ognog said:
    Kyrra said:
    Don't be fooled. Those abs are painted on!
    ;))

• Sarapis said:
    Sartan up close, btw.

<the sexiness>

Oh it looks -much- better now. It seems all the main focus went into the face. Still looks like an action figure though.
  • @Xith - Sartan is not Samuel L. Jackson. Mhaldor is not a plane. Fog is not snakes.
  • Yue said:
    @Xith - Sartan is not Samuel L. Jackson. Mhaldor is not a plane. Fog is not snakes.
    Disagree to all.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.